Author Topic: Critters in the Cafeteria [open] (Read 673 times)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Critters in the Cafeteria [open]
« May 3, 2016 11:08:27 GMT -6 »

"I bet you that you'll figure it out," Josh assured her. "And I'm glad it, uh, likes me. He, actually. He. Looks pretty cool after all, where'd you find a fossil like that?"

Josh was more preoccupied with eating rather than talking at this point, but when he was eating, he could be considered a superb listener. Eating didn't involve shoving food into his ears after all, just his mouth.

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 3, 2016 17:57:03 GMT -6 »

"He just appeared in my room one day. Whenever I ask, he won't tell me how he got there. The current theory is that a previous owner left him there."

Forgotten, or stolen? Fred hopes she rescued him from being forgotten, but the helix doesn't seem to mind either way. She eats some of her salad.

"Some of his favorite things to do is talk in different voices and tell me where to go next. Not all the time, but when there's enough time to do so. It looks silly, yet I've found some interesting things this way."

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 3, 2016 18:54:21 GMT -6 »

"Different voices, huh?" Josh thought about that. Maybe it was the ghost AND the rock. Hard to say.

"Well, I bet there's tons of ways to be puttin' that to good use. At least I hope, since we'll be working together. Prol'ly."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 4, 2016 22:54:02 GMT -6 »

She smiles.

"For now, I would be best away from the front lines. In the event I return to the field again, I can see how your ability could complement mine. A protective wall while I'm decoding something, perhaps."

She reflexively hugs herself.

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 4, 2016 23:14:29 GMT -6 »

"That's true. It's not for everybody... but I end up there a lot." He shrugged and his hands found their typical places in his pockets. He thanked his lucky stars that his pockets are somewhat loosely fitted, since shoving hands in pants pockets was a task made more difficult by sitting at a table.

"Maybe we'd... what's the word I'm looking for... synergize well. Given my ability's so defensive rather than able to really hurt people..." Josh thought about the few times he'd actually managed to hurt somebody with it. He decided not to mention them. "I work better with other folks. Can't run solo, no ma'am."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 5, 2016 1:17:39 GMT -6 »

"If I don't count my time on the field, there were some dangerous occasions that happened in the city. I was around when there was this user who could multiply, and when demons attacked, but later disappeared..."

The latter event was horrifying. It felt so real, watching herself get eaten alive. Not something she wants to repeat again. Time to change the subject.

"Hmm... I'm imagining you holding a bad person in place with a barrier by pressing them up against a wall. Though you probably already thought of that, haven't you?"

Perhaps they'd slip out the sides, she continued her thought.

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 5, 2016 14:35:19 GMT -6 »

"Close! Replace 'wall' with 'floor' and I've totally done that to somebody!" Josh chuckled with just a hint of a snort. "I've used 'em as battering rams, too. But the barriers move with me, so it's a little tricky to maneuver."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 5, 2016 19:48:09 GMT -6 »

"Oh!"

She couldn't help giggling along, imagining the person being sandwiched. Hard to escape that.

"So they move with you! What makes it tricky? I would be led to believe it would be easier."

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 10, 2016 1:37:52 GMT -6 »

Josh struggled to imagine the scenario through and then come up with a corresponding description for it. Maybe it would be easier to show than tell, and that was a task for another time.

"Too tough to explain," he finished the thought. "Some time I'll show you exactly how it works, and the problems I'm encounterin'."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 12, 2016 22:42:08 GMT -6 »

"Oh, alright then. I look forward to it!"

Fred eats some more of her salad.

"When did you first find out about your problems? Hopefully while not on the field!"

Imagine your parachute not working during a free fall!

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 13, 2016 0:27:20 GMT -6 »

"Nah... nothing like that."

Josh picked at a few curls of his hair. He still remembered that time he had to fight for his life, or at least his well being, against Mr. Antrum. "I've had this ability since I was little, right? But I tried to keep it hidden. My parents knew, obviously. Is that obvious? I actually don't know."

He picked at the bun of his sandwich. "But we tried to keep it publicly under wraps so other parents wouldn't freak out, so I could have a social life. Then I screwed that up and... well, soon as I figured out I was comin' here, I played around with it and discovered stuff I never knew before. Guess that includes all my problems."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 14, 2016 19:51:07 GMT -6 »

"I empathize with keeping your ability a secret. You would think that after a decade, more people would be understanding about people with abilities, though I suppose it has taken humanity longer to accept people of different colors."

And class... She knows her parents are still fainting at the idea of her "cavorting with the masses".

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 15, 2016 2:24:51 GMT -6 »

"Right? Well, humans are humans, they've got a weird thing about handlin' stuff that's different than them." Josh munched on some chips.

"I like to think the world's gettin' better all the time. Sure, we've got a ways to go, but I wanna think we've made leaps n' bounds n' junk. In time, things'll get better about this, too. It uh... it just is a little sad, though. I know if I were showin' off or whatever, people'd be freaking out. You didn't run into anything like that, did you?"

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 16, 2016 2:26:27 GMT -6 »

"Well... Whenever I talk to something, most people hear it as English. So for the most part, my family thought I had an active imagination for the longest time. Things only got awkward the older I got. It's only cute for so long to be seen talking to cups and brushes."

She looks at her fossil, then back at Josh.

"People can have differing opinions on what's alive or not, and if their opinion still matters. I've gotten in trouble for siding with an object over a person, for instance..."

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 16, 2016 11:44:48 GMT -6 »

"Heh..." Josh swung a leg over the bench and planted it on the floor. Halfway to getting up, he took one of the two bites left to finish his sandwich, hastily chewed and swallowed.

"I mean, I can see why. If you let me get shot to save a piggy bank, I might be mildly upset when I get back up," he said with a chuckle. "But then again, that probably won't happen. Not specifically. It's me that keeps people from getting shot."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 16, 2016 22:04:38 GMT -6 »

She nervously chuckles.

"Fortunately, my situation was an argument. I would most certainly put a person's life ahead of things that don't necessarily die."

Even if their state would possibly be a fate worse than death, but let's not get into that.

"And I'm glad your ability would minimize the odds of getting shot!"

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 17, 2016 18:29:44 GMT -6 »

"That's fine. I was just kidding, anyway." Josh crumpled up his now-empty paper bag. "Probably won't be any time soon, but I look forward to workin' with ya. Unfortunately I'm not going to school here, or maybe we'd have more to talk about." Josh meant with homework, projects, whatever it was that Fred was probably having to deal with. As far as his own activities went, he was just a junior agent and nothing more. Give it a few years, maybe he'd have a promotion in the books.

Thought for later.

"Thinking of heading to the Tutorial to exercise the ol' mind. Might run into that crazy French guy. Seems fun."

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« May 18, 2016 22:08:21 GMT -6 »

"Likewise. It's good meeting you, Josh."

She finishes up her salad. She doesn't think she's met the crazy French guy before. One of these days, perhaps.

"Take care."

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« May 19, 2016 11:07:06 GMT -6 »

"Riiiight right! Catch ya later!"

With both legs swung over, Josh was free to grab the remnants of his lunch, stop by the trash can and drop it, then leave the cafeteria. Upward and onward!

Quick Reply