Author Topic: Collective Competition (Read 247 times)
ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« May 28, 2009 11:28:27 GMT -6 »

It had been a solid week since the opening ceremony, and the school wasn't in high spirits. Several small fights had broken out that day, and dozens more after the fact. Violence was on the rise thanks to a select few individuals, the three most brutal being described as a blond American, dark and short haired Asian, and a dark long haired Asian.

Ryker, one of those who unleashed violence more than once on school grounds, was still unknown because his fights ended clean and were only quick one on one fights, while the others were either much more brutal or fought worse odds. It suited him just fine, but he was starting to feel uneasy with the atmosphere of the school.

The idea came to him suddenly and he could not pinpoint a single reason why he suddenly found his inspiration.

He also had no idea how he ended up beating down Navvaro's door, determined to go through with his plan, but knowing that if he didn't pass it under the Headmaster's nose he would have an army breathing down his neck.

Ryker even wore the pathetic Fremont school uniform, but his personality hadn't curved enough. He marched straight past his secretary, pounded the door twice, and opened it. "I have an idea you want to hear, because the morale on this campus is shit." Ryker boomed out, showing how he had no tact and simply threw the truth at people like hand grenades.

Conner
Sensei
Horseman of War

Conner Avatar

wat

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« May 29, 2009 0:07:21 GMT -6 »

It's strange how easy I lose track of time. Growing old tends to have that effect; I'm sitting here, practically watching the tiny white boxes on the calendar standing for days disappear, only to be crossed out with a bold red marker by my young little secretary in the wee hours of the morning. Vital events written in the boxes just nulled, as if completing them made their time lapse unnecessary for memory. It was the same with my day planner, both the digital form organized by my secretary and the small book I carried around - times scratched out or scribbled over, little dates deleted, all passed, all forgotten.

It had only been a week since the semester began, yet to that old brain of mine, it felt like a day.

Today was no different than the usual mess, but at least I had time to myself for a few hours. It was just after noon, and the heat outside was picking up as college students and faculty members alike drove or bussed into the Collective campus town for lunch. A small piece of china lay in the far corner of my desk with crumbs of wheat bread scattered around it - it was a Monday, and I always chose to eat a roast beef sandwich for my own lunch. A simple mug of water sat on a marble coaster alongside an ergonomic keyboard and a flat screen computer monitor, the filmy layout playing a series of news clips from various news sources.

That was my usual ritual just after noon struck. Spend thirty minutes resting from the day-to-day management and attach myself to the real world. The office lighting was dimmed, the large windows were blocked out on either of the exterior walls, and the two doors - the entrance and the storage room - were cleanly shut. The old leather recliner I used for a throne creaked with ease as I leaned back, the smooth black walking cane shuffling behind it. It was peace. It was quiet. It was an escape from it all.

Of course, life wasn't ever simple, since I was boldly interrupted by a slamming fist on my door that followed with the banter of a student. A touch of a mouse shut off the news feed, and with a sigh, I responded to the boy as a red light blinked on my telephone. "Please, come in."

I allowed the boy to enter the office as I pulled up the phone, pressing it to my ear, "Yes Cynthia, he's allowed in. No, he did not have an appointment. I know, I know how you hate these things, but they happen sometimes. Yes, you're welcome to leave for your own lunch hour now. Tell the intern to start work up front now in case someone else shows up. Thank you."

I lightly planted the phone down on the receiver and glanced over the Knox student and recognized him immediately: one of the instigators from last week. Curious that he come to see me over "morale."

"Murdoch, wasn't it? Please, take a seat," I waved toward the two leather chairs that sat in front of my own desk as the blades of my elbowed pointed against the desk, allowing for my wrinkled old jaw to rest on those old, worn hands. I chose to stare at him for a while, let my calm old eyes ease whatever fire was in his stomach, before allowing him to speak, "Considering your antics last week son, it's interesting to hear you talk about the Collective's spirit as if you're some expert. But please, what's this idea of yours?"
[/font][/color]

[MpB:http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/Kyukaku/smoothtrooper-1-1.jpg]
ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« May 29, 2009 17:21:05 GMT -6 »

Ryker was left with a perplexing position. Someone he didn't know before hand accepted his outburst with perfect calm. People got used to him, even those in the military, but they usually were irritated by him at least for the first few interactions. But this old man, who he had assumed was in the military, wasn't made to even skip a beat.

Confused by this lack of reaction, but deciding he would probably like the old guy, he just shrugged and grinned as he stood in the doorway. If the old man was going to act this way he would show enough respect that he wouldn't grab a seat without being asked, or interrupt his conversation with the flabbergasted receptionist.

The office was more to his linking that he thought it would be. He'd been in such offices before, but they usually were huge, old men who had no sense of self would want as large an office as they could to make themselves feel important. While it was clearly a well fashioned office it wasn't extravagant nor large. It was another part of the old man's character that suited Ryker well.

When prompted he stepped forward and grabbed one of the chairs by the arm, twisted it around, sat down, and twisted himself back to face the Director. But no matter how respectful he was there was no point in trying to hide his attitude, he was still grinning and confident, sure that things would go the way he wanted, and that confidence didn't wilt under the old man's watchful eyes.

"He indented to use me as some kind of ceremonial punching bag, I just decided he would be better suited to the position, Sir." Ryker grinned, his relaxed position not showing disrespect or aggression. "But it's been only a week and it already seems like everyone is already getting jumpy about rumors passing around."

Ryker rubbed his neck because part of the rumors were about him, as he had already gotten into a scuffle or two that he wouldn't lie about but figured were best kept under his hat. "So I figured that a little school hosted event wouldn't hurt. Something to get people to know each other, a quick morale boost. I want to host a Capture the Flag event on those rolling hills inside school grounds."

Conner
Sensei
Horseman of War

Conner Avatar

wat

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« Jun 7, 2009 1:11:51 GMT -6 »

Like any other guilty person, Murdoch's immediate response to unburied comments on the first incident stood in self defense. No matter how nonchalant his tone was, Ryker was making an excuse for the event, and that in itself was typical of children his age.

Still, he had an interesting idea.

I ignored his rebuttal and instead focused on the presentation, knotted hands tightening under my chin as I visualized the specific resources the campus would need for such a game. It was easily within the Collective's capabilities and would make for an ideal thaw to the sports department. Still, I was curious to see Ryker's own vision of the planning.

"Murdoch," I began, leaning back into the chair to rest as I stared out into the eastern windows for a moment before turning back to gaze at him, "You've caught my attention, but I'm not sold. Explain to me how we'd organize the various teams, who would run the spectators' needs, and how we'd fit such a demanding program into the schedule of each school. Remember that you can't have this for just one school if you'd like to restore everyone's ease - it has to include the entire campus."
[/color][/font]

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« Jun 8, 2009 21:48:29 GMT -6 »

Ryker was taken back slightly by being referred to as Murdoch. He had been, many times of course, especially since he didn't like to be called Jr. by anyone.

Shaking that off he leaned forward and stared down the older man. Of course he still felt some respect and admiration for the old guy, but there was something he went on about that should have been quite obvious.

Sure he came up with a great idea, one even the old man admitted was interesting. But somewhere along the line he forgot that Ryker was much more into action than planning, which should have been apparent with the wall be charged into the Directors office like a bull.

"I'm sorry Sir, but how the hell do I know how to organize the schools. I'm just a student. Why the hell do you think I brought this to you?" Ryker choked on his own and rubbed the back of his neck. There was a reason he hadn't gone to Knox, and this was it. He still had a lot of rebellion to blow off naturally, beating it out of him simply wasn't an option.

Conner
Sensei
Horseman of War

Conner Avatar

wat

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« Jun 14, 2009 3:14:24 GMT -6 »

OOC: I apologize for the wait.

The boy was impulsive. Typical.

The Director slid back into his chair with a look of surprise at first, his head titled slightly as if he were trying to analyze the boy's face for answers, before a faint, ivory smirk rose from his checks and a nod of dismissal passed over him. Planting his right hand on the desk as a form of body language, the Director chose to clarify his own situation.

"Murdoch, whenever a student has a lighbulb flash in their head and an idea miraculously orbit it that does not have any shape to it yet in the shadows, that's what I have faculty for. You don't bring a ten-second thought and judgment of a school you just transferred to and decide the highest ranking executive on the campus needs to hear you. You are damn lucky I'm in a good mood today son, or I'd have you kicked right out of this office with latrine duty."

The Director took a moment to inhale his thoughts before leaning forward to make his own demands his face surprisingly loose as a sign of his rare open-mindedness for the circumstance, "Now... if you want this activity to occur, you best show some more thought behind it than the summary. We'd need a student to act as the youth supervisor to begin with, and you'd make for such a natural choice. Now sell this idea or leave this problem of yours behind, because you only have one chance here.."
[/font][/color]

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Collective Competition
« Jun 14, 2009 13:58:38 GMT -6 »

Ryker wasn't exactly losing any respect for the Director, but he was most certainly losing his patience his attitude about all this annoying talk. Of course he could understand why the guy was grouchy with him, he was blunt and impulsive, but basically being told that he was a dim bulb didn't sit well with him.

Out of the respect the Director had earned so far Ryker ground his teeth and thought over just what it was he should be taking away from the Directors words, and then started in on showing his personality again.

"If your going to put me to work doing your staff's job do I at least get a salary?" Sighing he pressed the chair back and stood up, his brow raised slightly as he crossed his arms over his chest, defensive of his idea. "Since I'm apparently expected to do all the grunt work I'll need time, I can't pull a plan to organize thousands of students out of my ass, I had been hoping you could."

Ryker shrugged and stepped away from the chair and out of the room, only shouting back when he was in the doorway to his office. "I'll be back after doing your job."