Author Topic: A New Campus (Open) (Read 316 times)
Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 9, 2015 11:08:20 GMT -6 via mobile »

Venus sat folded into the limbs of a tree, silent and nearly invisible. She hated the damn winter... It meant changing her attire if she wanted to camouflage. Sighing, she unfolded herself and let one leg dangle from a branch, finally fully visible in her black garb.

She was old for a senior agent, and definitely old to just be wandering around the campus, but she was watching, looking at the students and keeping an eye on them.

Venus wanted to learn about them. See how they worked. It was so different, being in Chicago.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 10, 2015 0:34:12 GMT -6 »

Well, this was a bit of a warmer day than others had been, that was good. Still winter in Chicago, but not as painful as before. There was more than enough snow on the ground for a nice view, and just enough chill in the air to wake him up and refresh him.

Just fine for some reading, since he'd just reached a long gap in the day's classes. The wind across his face and the soft crunch of snow underfoot distracted him from his thoughts, went on until he trotted through the courtyard to one of the trees with the best shade. It had a strange amount of leaves still on it, for the beginning of winter. His shadow mixed with the tree's, solidified, and in one great brushing movement tossed the snow at its base to each side, left and right, until there was just grass where Aaron wanted to sit; then, the mass of shadows twisted and shaped itself into a little box platform for him to sit on, as he settled down and opened his book.

He might have liked the snow, but he didn't want to get it and frozen dirt all over his pants while he got some reading done.

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 10, 2015 0:52:26 GMT -6 »

She watched as Aaron Silverman of all people walked towards the tree, seeming distracted. Obviously, he had something on his mind. She couldn't help the little smirk as he settled down beneath her branch, completely unaware of her.

That, at least, was fairly normal.

Venus let him think he was alone for a few moments as he cleared his spot and settled in with his book. She even let him get a few pages in before she grabbed one of the rocks that she had come to keep in her pockets.

Tossing it up into the air and catching it, she looked down at him... and reminded herself not to peg him. He wasn't on her list, but that didn't mean she couldn't say something to him, right? She dropped that smooth pebble onto his book, leaning over the branch to peer down at him, smiling.

If he looked up, she'd give a wave.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 10, 2015 1:28:06 GMT -6 »

!

Mat's training had taught him to expect anything, but that usually didn't include pebble airdrops in the middle of campus. With a start, he tilted the book so the pebble would slide off the page, and looked up as was probably expected.

...Oh.

"Agent Campbell?"

First Bianca, now her. He'd met her a few times, when Dad had taken him on trips to DC, and apparently they'd done missions together neither would tell him about - she always seemed nice, if deadly serious. Emphasis on that first word. You probably had to be when fighting the Empire though, and especially being a superpowered spy. They weren't super close, age and experience differences meant he always saw her as a teacher more than a friend, but it was still a surprise seeing another person he knew from that branch popping up here.

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 10, 2015 1:34:35 GMT -6 »

"Hey, kid," she commented with a chuckle, leaning back against the tree. She knew him, yes, but only in passing. She knew his parents far better, and despite everything, she had a fondness for his father. He was a bit explosive, sure, but she would usually go in, get the situation looked at, and let him handle it. Working with the Silvermans usually meant not having to really work with anyone, and that was enough for her.

She let her leg dangle but didn't slide free from her perch to join him. "I guess I should have remembered that you came here, hmm..." she said, as if she had forgotten. Her mind, while not as sharp as some others, couldn't afford to be forgetful. "I didn't say anything to your parents before I left, so I'm guessing they wouldn't have let you know."

Chuckling, mostly to herself, she wondered how they would feel, hearing that she had transferred...

Out of boredom.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 13:14:41 GMT -6 »

"No, they didn't say."

As far as he knew, Dad hadn't even visited DC in a while, probably too busy in the field. She'd know better than Aaron would if the older Silverman had been in touch with her though, obviously. He'd always seemed to rather like working with her after all, from the war stories Aaron was told.

Still, she'd seemed to fill a good niche back in DC, from what he gathered, though most of his memories of her were training exercises and extra lessons and now and then a chat during free hours. What brought one of Director Stark's spies all the way here? Part of him was surprised she even let Agent Campbell go, but then, if she let her own daughter move to Chicago...

"What brings you up here?"

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2015 9:57:30 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman - Reason: Wrong name » Back to Top  

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 13:55:55 GMT -6 via mobile »

Boredom. Irritating the piss out of Boss Lady. Sitting around and doing nothing. Stagnancy irritated her endlessly.

"I figured the agents here could use some help," she said simply, a smile upon her face. She leaned back against the strong bark of the tree, partially because it was comfortable, but mostly so he couldn't see the smirk upon her face.

"Paradigm Chicago is starting to get a bit of a reputation. Even the intelligence agents are rushing in without information, and people are getting hurt. Civilians, agents. The like. I heard one even died, a death that was preventable."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 15:01:01 GMT -6 »

"Some of the newest guys are pretty reckless, yeah, but we're a lot more competent than you're making us sound."

He tried not to be actively rude, but for someone with Campbell's experience it'd be almost impossible not to pick up the defensiveness in his tone, especially as he stood up and turned around to look at her. Her words cut deep, especially that comment about how death could have been prevented - probably because they were true.

"If you're talking about Miranda, I would have saved her if I could. Neither of us had time to react, it was save those kids or protect ourselves and possibly let them die."

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 15:32:00 GMT -6 via mobile »

His defensive tone didn't seem to bother her. She gave a nonchalant sort of shrug. "There's always a way to lengthen the time you have to respond. You can't change time," specifically Aaron, "but you can change your reaction."

He was still young. He had so much to learn. And sometimes, people died. Sometimes, you couldn't save them. But she didn't hint at that possibility. Aaron wanted to be a hero. He wanted to be his dad.

"Paul and I have been on missions together, and people have gotten hurt. He and I have had to hurt people that would have otherwise been fine. But never have we gone storming into a situation without complete knowledge, a solid plan, and plans b, c, and d." She thought for a moment on that. "Well, not never. But not in a long, long while."

Then, she sighed, and she slithered down to land silently beside him, her feet not making a noise despite the impact. She walked over to collect her abandoned little pebble.

"You work as a team, and you're only as strong as your weakest member." As if he hasn't heard that in the past.

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2015 15:33:08 GMT -6 by Venus Campbell » Back to Top  

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 15:58:57 GMT -6 »

"We didn't exactly have that luxury, Agent Campbell. I made a plan, but there wasn't time for that many contingencies."

Not to mention Angel had immediately abandoned the plan, but he had the feeling she knew that, given the "weakest link" comment. Besides, he could have said that, but he wasn't about to throw other agents under the bus. On some level, it still felt to him like Miranda was dead now because he wasn't good enough.

"We learned as much as we could before we went in there."

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:03:42 GMT -6 via mobile »

"The elementary school? You had no clue what you were up against." There was no heat in her tone. She just gave a solemn shake of her head. She wasn't sure what she could say to make this kid understand.

"There were a lot of times when it was just me and Paul. I would scout ahead, get the information needed. He was the muscle. We had rescue missions. We knew the roles we each played. He kept focused on the bad guy, and I rescued the target. In and out, no problem."

Well, not NO problem, but still. Her point was a valid one.

"Your Intel agents work like Defense, and your Defense agents are jumpy." It wasn't that they couldn't do their jobs, but... Well, they couldn't do their jobs. "People need to know their roles. And that includes you, Aaron."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:07:50 GMT -6 »

"What makes you think I don't?"

The edge went out of his voice a little as he gave her a curious look; clearly it was a genuine question. Not that he didn't agree that some of the new blood were far too jumpy.

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:10:31 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Are you a leader or a follower? A chef or a cook?" It was a weird analogy, but relevant. "Do you work defense or intelligence?"

She waited for an answer, looking directly at him and leaning back against the tree, her arms crossed once more. She was relaxed, but each question was asked with an edge to her tone.

Affection had no place in a conversation as serious as this.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:20:56 GMT -6 »

"I'm defence. I've taken the lead on a few missions now."

He understood her tone, Mr. Amtrum was far harsher and he could see, past the edge of standing up for his comrades, that she was trying to teach something. As he spoke, though, his eyes widened a little and realisation hit him like the first chill of winter. How many missions had started with the group trying to figure out who was giving orders, or everybody just doing their own thing?

"...I have seen a lot of missions where nobody seemed to know who was in charge, though. Agents just doing whatever, or spending time figuring out who was running things. I was in charge of the elementary school mostly because I was the first agent to get there."

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:30:08 GMT -6 via mobile »

She gave a single nod. There you go. Good job, Aaron.

"People need to know who to take orders from, and leaders can't be squabbling amongst themselves. There's no benefit to that."

She seemed content to let him figure out the rest of her lesson on his own. At least he was sharp enough to do so.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:44:06 GMT -6 »

"Part of the thing is there's no rank structure - I mean, junior agents answer to senior agents, who answer to staff, and specific teams that have specific leaders, but otherwise things aren't quite so organised. It's not like this is an army."

Even though some would argue it needed to be, a superpowered army to face the Empire and help the other agencies of the world. He wasn't sure where he stood there, but he went quiet for a bit, pondering the lesson being handed down.

"So you came here to help us learn that? To work together more efficiently?"

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:51:38 GMT -6 via mobile »

"That lesson is a byproduct," she said with a wave of her hand. She had many things she wanted to teach the younger agents, actually.

"But it's something YOU need to learn. I'm not here to teach defense. You guys already have a pretty damn good trainer for that."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 16:58:38 GMT -6 »

"There's more to defence than just combat, though."

Aaron liked working with Mr. Amtrum, but that training tended to focus pretty specifically on messing up bad guys. Which was probably why you had a lot of people in Paradigm Chicago good at fighting, but who needed work on actually being a team.

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 11, 2015 17:10:13 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Of course," she agreed, freeing one of her knives from God knows where - not her belt - and beginning to play with it. She spun the obsidian blade in her hand before pressing the tip into her finger, careful not to draw blood.

"But it's just like fighting with a weapon. If you go in to a fight with something you don't properly know how to use, you risk it being taken from you."

As she was speaking, she would seem to disappear, right in front of his eyes. She just sort of faded into the background. It was a tactic he probably wouldn't know much about.

In two silent, quick steps, she would close the distance between them, and fade back into existence, holding the blade mere inches from his throat.

"Then, you gave two problems instead of one."

If he didn't react, she would drop the blade from the threatening position and it would seem to just slide into her sleeve and disappear.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 12, 2015 15:35:11 GMT -6 »

Aaron didn't physically react, other than his eyes widening and his weight shifting slightly backwards, because he knew she wouldn't actually try to hurt him, but when she appeared holding the knife at his throat he instinctively covered the blade in a small sheath of hardened shadow, rendering it blunt. Sure, it would hurt if she jabbed it into his neck, but it wouldn't be a slashed or stabbed throat at least. Once she lowered it, the shadows would vanish; he'd learned that trick years ago, even though she was right in assuming he didn't know much about her tactic except what he'd heard from stories of missions done.

"Obviously we have to know how to use our powers effectively, especially in a fight," he said, watching her put the knife away. He'd never argued otherwise, after all. "I'm just saying there's more to it. Tactics, teamwork, developing skills outside our powers in case we run into something our ability can't deal with alone," hence stuff like his training in martial arts. "I was just saying that no one trainer can do all of that; there's other trainers here, not just Mr. Amtrum, but he doesn't have all the answers."

As much as Aaron respected him.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2015 15:43:25 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 12, 2015 15:44:09 GMT -6 via mobile »

She tried not to twitch at that thought, but offense passed across her face. Why she was offended, Aaron probably wouldn't know. She ran her fingers along the hilts of the knives on her belt, a nervous sort of habit, and stared at him.

"That's why I'm here. And Matt. Mister Amtrum, as I understand it, is on vacation. He teaches you the basics and does damn well."

There was truth in what Aaron said and she tried to wash the offense she took away. She even looked away from him. Something strange for her to do. She didn't say anything else.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 12, 2015 16:21:39 GMT -6 »

"Um, I'm sorry...?"

It was obvious his words struck a nerve, but he wasn't quite sure how. He'd looked away under her stare, and only looked back when he caught her glancing aside in his peripheral vision. Then he stood there, unsure what to say. Finally, though, the silence carried on until it got uncomfortable.

"I wasn't trying to disrespect any of the staff. I've been working a lot with Mr. Amtrum lately, actually."

Mr. Amtrum probably thought he was a worthless fuckup, but still.

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 12, 2015 16:25:50 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Keep doing that," she said in a voice that offered no argument. When she looked back at him, her posture was the stiff posture of a well trained agent. She tilted her chin towards him. "You have options, now, and different people to help teach you different things."

Her eyes gave a flash. When she looked at him, it was difficult not to remember. Her lips were pursed into a thin line.

"Your parents expect great things, Agent Silverman. So do we."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 12, 2015 22:58:42 GMT -6 »

"I'll try not to let any of you down."

Though hopefully, those "great things" would involve making his own name, beyond "the Silverman kid". He gave Venus a determined little nod, like he would show Mr. Amtrum or Director Makaila, falling silent for a moment. She was right, he could learn more this way, things he might not have been able to before...

"I know your priority is the intelligence agents, but if you were willing to teach me things, I'd be happy to learn. Dad's always spoken well of your skills."

Venus Campbell
Agent Trainee
Intelligence

Venus Campbell Avatar

[send pm]

A New Campus (Open)
« Dec 12, 2015 23:02:30 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Things like what, Agent Silverman?"

Her words were clipped, chin tilted upwards as she contemplated his request. While she was happy to know she was well spoken of, it still... concerned her.

The lessons she planned to teach were not easily learned. She knew that they would take a toll on a few of the agents, and she expected some to hate her.

She couldn't risk some little punk bitching to his mommy and daddy and ruining it for the rest of them.

Quick Reply