Author Topic: New School, Old Acquaintances ("Sergeant Scott") (Read 509 times)
painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

New School, Old Acquaintances ("Sergeant Scott")
« Jul 27, 2009 19:11:49 GMT -6 »

It was a strange feeling to be paying for an education, especially since Pain Killer was lucky to actually be admitted, given his grades. If he were to be able to support himself and his sister, however, Adam knew he would need a fairly decent job, rather than what he'd been scraping by on thus far. It was this thought that had brought him to the gates of O'Hare University, backpack slung over his right shoulder, staring up at the closest building. As if his size weren't enough to make him stand out from the crowd, he was also dressed in the same manner he always was, which needless to say, was not the uniform the other students wore. While he began to walk towards the building for his first class, it would be his choice of attire that would call attention to himself, as a hand would grab at his left shoulder, causing his eyes to narrow in annoyance.

"Hey, freshman. That's not the proper uniform."

Frowning, Pain Killer would look over his shoulder at the person holding his shoulder. The student was a bit smaller than him, but built well enough to suggest he'd been in a few fights before.

"...I haven't got one yet. Back off, I don't have the patience to deal with your kind."

For once, it seemed Adam was intent on avoiding an unnecessary fight, though his choice of words were not necessarily the best he could have picked. However, it seemed that the other student had no intention of letting him pass just yet, not without bullying the new kid, so to speak.

"Well, if you don't have your uniform, I guess you'll have to go to class naked. That's the punishment our Director gave out to the other rebel kids."

Feeling the student grab tighter on his trenchcoat, Pain Killer decided enough was enough. He'd already demonstrated far more patience than he was known for, and it seemed this kid was intent on pushing his weight around. When the other student began tugging on the trenchcoat in order to pull it off, Pain Killer would suddenly and violently whip his left hand in a backfist at the man's face, breaking his nose. while tugging his backpack off. Rather than give the kid a chance to retaliate, Adam would turn with the strike, swinging his right hand in a straight cross at the student's face, slamming it into his jaw and sending him to the ground. Even as he kneeled over the kid to continue the beating, he could hear students calling for help to put an end to the fight, but he didn't particularly care.

This kid had it coming.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Jul 27, 2009 22:52:49 GMT -6 »

"Sgt. Scott,"

Tyler D. Scott continued to read the day's newspaper, letting his left hand fall down to his desk as he pressed the transmitter button on his radio.

"...Yo?"

"There's a fight over at O'hare's gates...and that's not proper radio protocol..."

"Yo."

Sliding his legs off the desk he put the newspaper down, standing up and clipping the radio to his belt along with his other small set of equipment at the school. Unlike the high school, the university students were legal adults, meaning any physical engagements reported were done so legally. It wasn't the same old fun the minors were allowed to have, with a slap on the wrist by a teacher. Of course, the CPS had its own unique system for everything, but Sergent Scott had his own job to do as well.

Making his way briskly to the gates of O'hare University, Tyler would push his way through the crowd of bystanders who never seemed to break up fights. Standing roughly four feet behind the larger guy, he spoke, holding off on physically removing him off the boy unless he didn't stop on verbal prodding.

"Fun's over, buddy. Why don't you get up so we can have a little chat back in my office?"

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 28, 2009 0:38:45 GMT -6 »

Adam's right fist would rise and fall, slamming into the student's face again and again as he kneeled over him. Serious damage hadn't been done yet, though Pain Killer had no intention of stopping quite yet; he was going to make sure this punk didn't pull such a stupid stunt ever again. It wouldn't be long, however, before someone finally responded to the cries for help, someone who was apparently part of the faculty considering he had an office.

Well, I can't just beat up a teacher on my first day...

Frowning, Pain Killer would reach over and grab his bag before standing up, waiting until he'd put the backpack over his shoulder once more before turning around to face the authority on the scene. When his eyes finally met the face, the youngest surviving Rydell's gaze would remain there for a few seconds, slowly realizing just who was interfering with his fight once again. However, there would be no cocky smirk or frustrated scowl at being interrupted, no real reaction aside from the neutral look Adam would give anyone, lasting for a few seconds.

After which, Pain Killer would turn and begin walking away.

He had nothing to say to the kid, especially considering the rather anticlimactic way he'd disappeared from San Francisco. Running into Kyu here, in San Diego after all this time, was one of the last things he had expected, and to be honest, Pain Killer wasn't sure whether he saw it as a bad thing or not. Rather than deal with it, Adam figured it was better to avoid such a situation entirely.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Jul 29, 2009 23:15:25 GMT -6 »

The Collective's School Resource Officer would stand there, hands hovering around his hips. He'd watch the larger man stand up and away from the other still-large man, watching for any hints at further hostile movements. When Adam finally turned to face him, Tyler's eyes would narrow in accordance, also taking a few moments to notice who it was actually standing before him. After all, it had been a couple of years since he'd last seen his old roommate, friend, and enemy wrapped in one.

The situation creeping up on both of them without warning, left them both with an awkward moment of confused silence. On Tyler's end, it was even more confusing. Pain Killer glared at people in a neutral manner all the time, from what he remembered at least, but generally he garnered more of a reaction from the larger man. Despite that reaction usually being one of anger, Tyler was even more thrown off at the fact that Adam's expression didn't change. Especially given the fact that he had up and left without making prior mention to him as well, this was all the more insulting.

Despite any and all baggage, however, Sgt. Scott still had a job to do, old friend enemy (who really knows?) aside. Walking up behind Adam, Tyler would grab his right arm with his own left, intending on whipping the larger man around to face him at the elbow. Instinctively, his body prepped for an attack. Hell, maybe he even wished for it.

"I don't think so, Rydell. The only place you're going is to my office, one way or another."

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 30, 2009 0:13:27 GMT -6 »

Walking at a normal pace, it wouldn't take much for Tyler to catch up with the youngest surviving Rydell, and the moment he placed his hand on the larger man's arm, he would likely feel the muscles tense up considerably. The sergeant would find his goal of keeping Adam from walking away achieved, as the Freshman would halt his progress away, but the self-proclaimed Pain Killer would keep himself from being whipped around, stubbornly facing away for the moment.

"...The last guy who grabbed my arm is bleeding on the concrete a few feet away. Don't make the same mistake."

Pain Killer's voice would sound dangerously low, though he would make no effort to take a swing at the kid, as his attitude may have suggested. However, slowly, he would turn to face his former roommate, his eyes narrowing in annoyance.

"Since when do I take orders from you, kid? Just because you've got an office now doesn't mean you're suddenly able to tell me what to do."

Suddenly jerking his right arm back, Pain Killer would attempt to dislodge the grip Kyu had on his arm. If there was one thing he hated, it was people putting their hands on him.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Jul 30, 2009 0:28:21 GMT -6 »

At the challenging tone of Adam's voice, Tyler felt all too nostalgic. The teenage angst an ego began to rise again, wanting nothing more than to challenge himself against his old rival once more. Fighting this urge to fight, Tyler would let go of Adam's arm as he jerked it away, letting him break the handhold with no obstructions.

"Yeah, maybe. But I'm pretty sure the gun does."

The sergeant would pull his right hand to his coat, pushing it back for Adam to see both badge and gun on his hips, alerting him to the fact he wasn't a teacher, but law enforcement. Technically, after aggravated assault and resisting detainment he did have legal rights to beat him...

Snapping out of his own humorous thoughts of petty vengeance, Tyler let go of his jacket, letting it fall in front of his hips once more.

"Look, I've already asked twice. You're not going to make an old friend ask a third time, are you?"

It was his last chance at a peaceful approach. Honestly, he wasn't really sure whether he wanted a physical confrontation with Pain Killer or not. What he wanted, however, was besides the point. If Adam proved to not cooperate, he'd have no choice but to at least try and arrest him. Taking him back to the office he could at least go through the motions, and give Adam the benefit of the doubt. If not, well, Jesus be with us.

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 30, 2009 13:28:22 GMT -6 »

"I suppose it wouldn't be the first time you shot a Rydell, now would it?"

It was a cheap shot, and Adam knew it, but he was in a foul mood already from the fight earlier. The youngest surviving Rydell would let his gaze drop towards the badge at Tyler's hips, knowing full well what the item meant. It seemed the kid had grown up in his absence, and in a rather predictable move, decided to become a cop. It seemed pretty fitting, considering how Kyu had always been so eager to help people before, and Pain Killer couldn't truly find fault in his decision. Without the hand on his arm, Adam had begun to calm down, and when the younger man asked again for him to accompany the officer to his office, Pain Killer would remain silent for a moment before answering.

"...Hn. Whatever. They don't teach you anything the first day, anyway."

Adjusting his backpack slightly, Pain Killer would drop his left hand in his pocket, letting the scowl on his face fade to an almost bored expression. From there, he would either wait for Kyukaku to start walking in front so he could follow, or for the younger man to point out which direction his office. In either case, Adam had no idea where they were going, and would need some sort of direction.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Jul 30, 2009 13:41:54 GMT -6 »

There was no subject more sore between the two than of Trent Davis, or rather, Trent Rydell. The older brother to one of them, the nightmare of the other. Both men despised him, yet it would continually prove to be a complicated issue that woudl drive a wedge between them. Given Adam's cheap shot, Tyler's eyes narrowed, giving the larger man a look devoid of any humor. Afraid to open his mouth at the risk of sounding completely unproffesional, Sergeant Scott brought his right hand to his hip, raising his left hand and pointing in the direction he had come.

Waiting for Adam to step in front of him, Tyler would then walk up at the man's side. It was both a habit of police work and dealing with Adam to not give him your back. Opting to keep his mouth closed during the few minutes walk to the administration's building, Tyler chose to stay in silence, unless Adam uncharacteristically chose to speak first on the way there. Using the time to cool off from Adam's last statement, Tyler would begin reverting back to his more light-hearted self. Pointing at the chair in front of his desk for Adam to take a seat, Sgt. Scott would sit on the front right corner of his desk, placing himself in between Adam and the door, should he decide he didn't want to chat after all.

"You know...my first day at Varron was spent trying to break up one of your fights. In the end, though, you went with Stern." Tyler started, looking out the window of his door before finally turning his head towards the self-proclaimed Pain Killer.

"I'm curious to what kind of path you're going to choose this time around."

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 30, 2009 18:24:32 GMT -6 »

As was typical for him, Pain Killer would say nothing during the walk to the office, preferring to keep to himself. He didn't particularly like the idea that Kyukaku was in any position to tell him what to do, and knew full well he would outright refuse any demands he was given out of principle alone. Upon entering the office, Pain Killer would snort dismissively at the seat offered to him, dropping his bag next to the seat before reluctantly sitting down. When the sergeant sat down on the edge of his desk, Adam couldn't but think that this was some sort of "bonding moment", where the teacher got all chummy with the student in a phony act, just to understand the troubled kid. However, Pain Killer had known Tyler from before, and unless the kid had vastly changed, becoming more manipulative over the years, he figured the whole thing was genuine.

The choice of conversation was enough for Pain Killer to cross his arms and look away, fully disinterested in going down memory lane. He had no intention of dwelling too far in the past, as it would eventually lead to a topic he didn't have any desire to bring up. Instead, he would focus on the here and now.

"What the hell does that mean? I fought with Stern to make things change. I even saved your punkass from those baton wielding retards that showed up afterwards, too."

Scowling in frustration, Pain Killer would look up at Tyler's face.

"I didn't pick that fight out there, if that's what you're gettin' at. Some guys just need to learn not to have an attitude, or it'll get them killed against the wrong person. Things haven't changed, kid. My path is still whichever one that will lead to greatness. I refuse to live your life of mediocrity."

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Jul 31, 2009 14:00:19 GMT -6 »

"No, Adam."

Tyler sighed and shook his head. Feeling to fidgety to stay seating, he stood up, walking around the side of the desk and leaning against the filing cabinet as he laid his right arm atop it.

"Things have changed. We're not kids anymore. Actions have consequences. Back at Varron or Hircine we could settle differences with fists, being reprimanded with either detention or another fist. We're adults now. Whether you started it or not, you go swinging your fists around like that, and you'll end up in jail. How much greatness do you think you can achieve sharing a cell with your brother?"

The sergeant dropped his head, taking a deep breath and he looked at his feet as they shuffled to redistribute balance. He took a moment to let his words sink in, not really sure if they would have that effect. He'd been preaching at Adam all their lives, and he had never been sure that anything had ever gotten accross. So far, there wasn't any significant change that would make him think it would change now.

"That's always been the difference between you and me, Adam. You can't see that there's nothing mediocre about life. Any life. There's no higher calling in life than service to others. I keep a punk kid like us out of jail, and he could grow up to be the guy that invents the flying car, or cures cancer, or anything. Children are the goddamned future, and I'm doing my best to shape it into something fathomable. Tell me, where's the mediocrity in that?"

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Aug 1, 2009 15:34:25 GMT -6 »

"You know as well as I do, Kyu, this system allows violence and conflict. Hell, it encourages it. Even the university is the same. As long as I attend this school, I'm given the same treatment as any of them."

For a few moments afterwards, Pain Killer said nothing. His eyes would continue glaring at the sergeant for a few seconds, his expression remaining the same as it had been throughout most of their conversation. The mention of his brother again had sent a flash of anger through him, but he made no outward sign of it; after all, he'd already made a cheap shot at Kyu with Trent's name, it was only fair that the kid could do the same to him. After a few seconds, he let a small smile form on his face, though there was no real happiness behind it. Instead, it would have a bittersweet tinge, to him.

"I knew it, though. I knew, from the moment I left, that you'd turn into one of them. At least Kazuki understood. He's got pride, he's got honor. I always thought you would, eventually, But you let them poison you."

Adam was rambling, and he knew it, but it was the first time he'd simply try to speak his thoughts instead of trying to act tough. It was something he needed to get used to, again, after living alone in Varron again.

"Listen to yourself, kid. You're spouting the same crap everyone else out there does. Talkin' about how kids are the future, and how they could grow up to do all this great stuff. It's like you've given up on your own life. You never think that maybe you'd be the one to invent that crap, or do something amazing. You just pass the responsibility off to future generations. That is where the mediocrity comes from."

Pain Killer stood up, grabbing his bag off the floor and making a motion to put it back on his arm, before opting to just hold it in his hand instead. He'd originally planned on just leaving right then and there, but for whatever reason, he hesitated, deciding instead to keep going with his apparent speech.

"You know what the real difference is between you and me? I know full well the things that're wrong with me, and I know my limits. But I'm constantly pushing against those to get stronger. That's why you can't beat me. Not until you understand that."

Finally finished, the youngest surviving Rydell would stare at Tyler, long since losing his bittersweet smile. Instead, he was genuinely curious whether, for once, the kid would finally understand.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Aug 6, 2009 0:17:17 GMT -6 »

"What?"

The Sergeant raised an eyebrow, unsure of what Adam was getting at, or who them stood for. Tyler opened his mouth, intent on interjecting his own thoughts on the matter, but he held his tongue. It had been years since he'd heard any insights from an old friend, and even longer since his idealism had been challenged. After years of playing the good cop, way before actually becomming one, it had just become natural.

For anyone who had known "Kyukaku" growing up, it wasn't a surprise that he tended to put others before himself. In his mind, and surely in the minds of the majority, it was a good quality. However, giving up parts of yourself one by one eventually leaves you with nothing. More than once had Tyler been burnt out on life in general. Still, a life of service wasn't a wasted one...was it?

"Yeah...well, all of us CPS brats have something wrong with us..." He trailed off, finally taking a seat in his own chair at the desk, still looking away from Adam as if still in thought.

"But I think you're wrong on one thing. I do know my limits, and you should know better than most at how many times I've been pushed past them. Last time I saw you was at one such point, don't you remember? Plus," Tyler paused, finally turning his head towards the self proclaimed Pain Killer, smirking.

"It was close last time. Its been two years since that broken leg, what makes you think you can still take me?"

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Aug 9, 2009 14:30:34 GMT -6 »

"Close? I broke your leg. What were you gonna do, hop into me until I gave up?"

Pain Killer shook his head, not quite returning the sergeant's smirk, but apparently not angry anymore, either.

"But that's my point. You may know your limits, and I'll...admit, that you're stubborn enough to push past 'em sometimes, but you don't really know what's wrong with you. Not all of it. So when you go up against someone who can recognize that weakness, they'll beat you. I can't really put it any simpler than that."

To be honest, Pain Killer was having a hard time putting the ideas he had into words, a fact that frustrated the youngest surviving Rydell. He hadn't really planned on talking to Tyler for so long, especially on a subject as touchy as personal beliefs. After all, it was those beliefs that had led to him coming to blows with Kyukaku on more than one occasion, something he wasn't particularly eager to do in the middle of the kid's office.

Whatever. This has gone on long enough.

"If you're done giving out warnings and whatever else, 'Mr. Scott', I've got classes to go to. You can believe what I said, or not, I don't really care, but this is your freebie. Once I'm gone, you're gonna have to figure out this stuff on your own."

Hefting his bag up onto his shoulder, Adam would head towards the door, apparently done with the conversation. He had a vague idea of what the kid needed to change, or at least, what Kyu had needed to change back when Pain Killer had last seen him. Unless things had drastically changed, he assumed it was still holding back the sergeant. Of course, he had no intentions of just offering his help freely; it had taken Pain Killer years to figure out what he'd been doing was wrong, and take steps to fix it, but he'd done it by himself.

Mostly.

Regardless, if Kyukaku wanted help, he'd have to outright ask for it. Otherwise, Adam was content with letting Tyler figure it out on his own.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Aug 14, 2009 19:15:46 GMT -6 »

Honestly, Kyukaku was at a loss.

Was there really some gaping weakness he had that only Adam could see? When exactly did San Diego turn into Bizzarro world? Tyler, while humble, always held a good amount of pride in himself. He never liked to ask for help, always feeling that it was his duty to do things on his own and not bother anyone else with it. However, with Adam, it was different. As old rivals, he didn't want to admit Adam having yet another one-up on him. It caused physical pain.

"Fine, I'll take the bait." Tyler said, exhaling softly as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"What's wrong with me, Adam? Obviously I didn't learn it after last time you just up and left, so I don't see why I would now. Enlighten me, if you would."

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Aug 15, 2009 1:14:10 GMT -6 »

OOC: Here's my short post for you. :(

IC:

Pain Killer said nothing at first, opting instead to just turn his head in order to stare at the younger man. His eyes narrowed slightly as he thought of the best way to word his answer, before finally looking away, staring at the wall, though not particularly focusing on it.

"If I had to guess, I'd say that it's the fact that you have nothing to fight for. Fighting isn't your goal, it's your way to get to that goal, but the problem is, you're not aimng for anything. You're not the type to fight to be the best, or to want to hurt people."

Shrugging slightly, Adam would look back at the sergeant, turning to actually face him rather than towards the door he had been heading for.

"You're all into protecting people. That's all well and good, but no matter how good of a guy you are, you're never gonna fight as hard for them as you would for someone you truly cared about. I think you need to find that person or people to fight for, and treat every battle as if their fate depended on it. It's that mindset that'll let you fight at your best. That's when you'll truly be strong."

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Aug 24, 2009 13:03:04 GMT -6 »

(OOC: I said sorry!)

Adam wasn't wrong. For a man who never prided himself on his brains, Adam Rydell used it much more wisely than accredited for. Back from his first days at Varron, Tyler had put everything on his own shoulders, working as a loner. It wasn't til he made his connections to the world he wanted to protect before he began to make a difference. Leon, Dain, Kazuki, Audrey... none of them now in the forefront of his life.

Since working towards Washington, it was few and far between that Tyler heard from Leon Loire these days. Dain and Kazuki he still had contact with, though between their own personal lives they rarely got together. Audrey... well, nothing went well after Trent once again interrupted his life, targetting Audrey. It wasn't too much after until they finally drifted apart. However, that said, Tyler never fought harder than he did against Trent when Audrey's life was put in the middle of it. Friends and lovers distanced from him now, Tyler had once again become detatched.

"But you are the type to fight to be the best, and you don't really shy away from hurting people." Tyler said, switching focus. There wasn't much insight on his own life to share that Adam hadn't already figured out, and instead, chose to satisfy his own curiosities.

"That said, something tells me that's why you ran out of San Diego. You had Mya but it just wasn't enough, there was a piece missing. Did you find what you were looking for, Adam?"

painkiller

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Sept 24, 2009 17:20:10 GMT -6 »

OOC: RANDOM CATCH UP POST! Also, it's up to you if you want to continue this thread or not, I'm good for either/or.

IC:

Seeing his words start to sink in, Pain Killer would remain where he was, letting Kyukaku absorb everything he'd said. It was the best he could come up with, and as far as he could tell, Adam had hit pretty close to the mark considering Tyler's lack of a response. Shifting the strap holding his bag in an effort to get slightly more comfortable, Adam would listen briefly to what the sergeant spoke before frowning sternly, thoroughly annoyed. Pain Killer had no problem boasting about his accomplishments and strengths, but when something sensitive about himself was mentioned, his attitude quickly soured. Ignoring the question posed to him for the moment, Adam would start turning back towards the door again, speaking as he did so.

"I don't have your moral hangups, kid. If I'm in a real fight, then I'll fight to win. You really think a psycho like Kvist is gonna let you live if you lose, simply because you fought fairly? You can't protect anything when you're dead."

Turning completely around, Pain Killer would walk towards the door, stopping in front of it. His left hand reached out and grasped the handle, though he didn't turn it quite yet; instead, his head would dip forwards, his eyes closing as he considered the actual question Kyu had asked. The barest of smiles would form on his face, though with his back to the younger man, this action would go unnoticed.After the half second of hesitation, the youngest surviving Rydell would open his eyes, letting the smile fade from his face.

"...No, Tyler. I didn't."

It was the first time Adam had used Kyukaku's actual name, rather than "kid" or otherwise, but rather than expand on his point, Pain Killer would turn the handle and open the door, heading out into the hallway beyond.