Author Topic: Speak no Evil (Tiao Lei Shen) (Read 138 times)
sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Speak no Evil (Tiao Lei Shen)
« Jun 2, 2009 21:45:00 GMT -6 »

There was something good about being mute. For one, it let Shaolin remain a mystery. No one knew anything about her, other than the obvious and what they could see. With that, she never had to fear blackmail of any sort. On the other hand, she was quite the eavesdropper, and since people don't realize how loud they speak to each other in the halls, Shaolin could gather little bits of info on each and every person. She knew all sorts of things about her peers while they knew almost nothing about her. It was a powerful thing, and Shaolin intended to keep things this way.

An example of this would be right now. A hand was clasped around her tie and collar, to choke her a little while her back was pressed against the wall. In front of her, was the owner of the hand. A fairly tall and slightly muscular boy, whose face was twisted in anger. Other than the slight discomfort apparent in her physiognomy, Shaolin didn't seem to show any signs of emotion. There was no fear, no anger.

In her hand was her clipboard, which she held as though it were the solution to her particular problem. Speaking of which, how she ended up in this situation was very simple. The boy had bumped into her, his iPhone had dropped, and Shaolin had accidently stepped on it when she back-peddled from the impact. And then, in the classic act of anger, she'd gotten yelled at, he'd put his hand on her, she'd slapped it away as a warning and then BAM. Pinned to a wall.

People watched, but no one in the audience was the helpful type today, so Shaolin was on her own. She preferred it this way, because now she could test out what the power of knowledge held.

"What do you have to say before I kick your ass, midget?"

Shaolin would roll her eyes. She couldn't say anything, she was mute for God's sake. But people tend to forget that, she supposed. At any rate, she would bring up her clipboard and show him what was written on it. His eyes would widen, and he'd let go of her right away. There was fear in his eyes, and maybe a hint of embarrassment in the way his face would flush. Backing away from her to give her space, the boy would stutter:
"I-If I leave you alone . . . no one knows?"

Shaolin would smile and nod. You couldn't beat the Silence into staying quiet. It was already that. If this boy wanted to keep whatever Shaolin had shown him a secret, he'd have no choice but to bargain with her. With that compromise done, the boy would rush off, and Shaolin would let her hand drop to her side, not caring who saw what was written on the clipboard she held. It wouldn't matter, because it was simply a name, and no one would know what its significance was. She, however, did.

If anyone took a curious glance, the clipboard would say:
Andy-bear
FOND <3

Shaolin would look around at those who appeared confused by what had happened, before taking a seat at one of the tables, scribbling more words down on her notepad.

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jun 2, 2009 22:11:01 GMT -6 »

Decently sized male picking on a smaller than average sized female. Say what you will about Hircine in its decline, but there wasn't too much of that. There was still your handful of your creepers or psychopaths, but women beaters typically found themselves being ground into the floor before too long. Seemed like in this Collective, they didn't reinforce being a gentleman.

Still, Tiao intended to stay off the radar for now, as his energies were needing to be directed elsewhere for the time being. Planning on walking through the hallway without getting involved, Tiao allowed his head a brief turn in the other direction, giving no more than a mere glance to the situation. The face he fell upon made him stall in his steps, turning fully to face the situation like so many other students.

Tiao Lei Shen was caught up on the girl, though he didn't immediately know why. It wasn't infatuation, and certainly not love, but a sense of familiarity. He decided he didn't know the girl, but felt the feeling all the same. She simply reminded him of someone. Deep down Tiao knew who had truly been the cause of gaining his attention, but wouldn't allow himself to linger upon her. And yet, Tiao remained here, only to continue watching the soft spoken yet powerfully presenced young girl.

A simple sharing of a silent message and the boy was on his way, the girl not coming to any harm. She took a seat, beginning to scribble on her clipboard, but wouldn't find herself sitting alone. Instead, directly across from her would sit Tiao Lei Shen, hands folded in front of him. Whether she noticed him immediately or not remained to be seen, but Tiao wouldn't speak til she acknowledged him, most likely through eye contact.

"Hello." Tiao would say with a charismatic smile, tilting his head downward to meet her gaze at an even level.

"Who's Andy-Bear?"

sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 3, 2009 0:36:57 GMT -6 »

Shaolin had realized she wasn't alone, she just chose not to react to it, waiting for this guy to talk if he had something to say. Nothing. She'd sigh to herself and although it was unheard, her body language would be enough for Tiao to be able to tell. She'd keep her head bowed, looking up through her bangs at first before straightening herself up, looking directly into his eyes.

Shaolin would simply give a quick nod to his hello, not bothering to take her hand off her clipboard and pen to wave. To his charismatic smile, Shaolin would answer with a sort of smile of her own. Only it was more like a twitch of her lip at the right corner. Regardless, she showed no sign of hostility, and her eyes showed no annoyance or frustration. She seemed more interested in what he possibly wanted.

She wasn't surprised by him bringing up Andy-Bear, however, Shaolin was very protective of the info she gathered. Info was like secrets, and they were not to be shared with anyone. She even kept those trusted mostly in the dark. That way no one could ruin anything by letting anything slip. So, finding a space on the page she'd filled up pretty quickly with key words and doodles (that looked somewhat like certain people in the library), Shaolin would write her response.

Sry. Confidential. C:
[/font]

She would slide the clipboard towards him so he could look, then give him a smile; one innocent enough but that hinted at a bit of "haha, I know, you don't". After a bit, she'd take the clipboard back and pull her notepad off, turning to a fresh page and clipping it back on before writing some more and sliding it over again.

Sry 4 having 2 write. Mute. Is all? Or smthing else I help?[/font]

She'd leave the board there, but kept her hand on it. That board was extremely important to her, or more specifically, the notepad. It held valuable information, and it was also her means to communicate. While she didn't believe Tiao would get anything from taking it from her (as most of the info she wrote was never any use to anyone but herself), she still liked to feel that it was still her her grasp.[/color]

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jun 3, 2009 12:00:11 GMT -6 »

Smiles were contagious, even if they weren't accompanied by a voice. She smiled a small smile back at Tiao, acknowledging his presence friendly enough. She didn't immediately reply, however, leaving Tiao with the assumption she was choosing to ignore his question. He was more surprised than he'd like to admit when the girl slid the clipboard accross the table, offering a brief reply in her handwriting.

"Fair enough."

Despite not receiving a real answer to his question, Tiao found himself smirking once more. He really didn't care about "Andy-Bear." Tiao Lei Shen was more interested in the girl in front of him, and so far she had been proving his gut feelings right. She slid the clipboard forward yet again, revealing the question that would have eventually emerged from Tiao Lei Shen's lips.

"Oh, I see. I'd offer my condolescenses, but I'll save it for those who need it. You seem to be getting along adequately just as you are. Tiao Lei Shen." he would pause, offering his right hand for a handshake accross the table as he introduced himself. If she took it, he'd shake the hand twice, however, letting the hands linger in the air one extra moment as he asked another question.

"Is that pad loaded with tads of information like that, or are you a one trick pony? If I had to guess, I'd bet you escape alot of notice and see and hear all sorts of things, never saying a word about it."

sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 4, 2009 1:10:19 GMT -6 »

Shaolin would nod in agreement, partly to show she got his name, and partly because she was agreeing that she was quite able without the power of speech. Of course, no one had to know about her slight anger problem associated with how she couldn't speak. She wasn't humble enough to admit that as one of her flaws. Shaking out that thought, she'd take Tiao's hand without hesitation and shake it for as long as he'd like. She was surprised that after two shakes he'd just keep the hands hovering there, but, Shaolin wasn't going to question it. Instead, she bit on her bottom lip as he continued to speak.

With a wry frown, she'd pull her hand back, a bit roughly should he not let go for one reason or another.

She'd take her clipboard back, sketching out a quick image of Tiao, before writing down his entire name:
Tiao
Lei
Shen

Along the side of her quick head-sketch of him. She was pretty sure she spelled it correctly, but didn't wonder too long about it. Instead, she'd go on to reply, making sure her name, especially, was in BIG noticeable letters.

Shaolin Glory
[/font][/i]

As usual, she felt it necessary to be wary with what she wrote. She didn't want to give away too much about herself, because when people didn't pay you any mind, it made finding out their secrets all the easier.

Tiao would probably notice her hesitation as she wrote, possibly answering his question(s) before even being able to write it down. Shaolin would buy herself some thinking time though, taking care to write entire words out this time. In a way, she felt it'd make her look more professional.

Perhaps. Why is this of any interest to you? Afraid I may know some of your dirty little secrets?

This time she'd just hold the clipboard up, smiling like a kid showing off her artwork to a parent. She was mostly just showing him her answer and name, but, part of her knew he'd probably notice that little cartoony sketch she made of him so she could remember him better. Unfortunately, it was a quick sketch, and it wasn't all too impressive. In a way, Tiao could very well mistake it for a caricature, which Shaolin would find amusing nonetheless. She liked observing reactions. Especially bad ones.[/color]

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jun 4, 2009 17:42:26 GMT -6 »

At the slightest hint of retraction, Tiao Lei Shen released his hold on the girl's hand to allow it to be pulled back unmolested. Tiao's gaze dove downwards as she began to write something down yet again. It was Tiao's own name, followed by what could best be described as a cariciature of his likeness. As she slid the clipboard accross the table once more, Tiao was able to take a better look at it, along with the girl's own name.

"Shaolin...?"

Tiao raised his eyes from the clipboard momentarily, letting an amused smirk crawl over his lips before darting his eyes back to the clipboard. The cariacture wasn't exactly a portrait, but Tiao couldn't view it that negatively. It at least had better light shined upon him than the one from a few years back. Shaolin would take the clipboard back, writing something down once more. As Tiao waited, he hoped it would be an answer to his question. The more time went by the more he found himself inclined to ask about her name. For now, however, he held his tongue until after he read the newest writings.

"My interests aren't exactly geared toward myself in that sense. Besides, I doubt you know much more about me than the rest of the kids in this room." Tiao Lei Shen paused gesturing with his right hand in a wide arc.

"However," Tiao spoke more quietely, leaning his head back in towards Shaolin. "You could be the one that knows all my secrets, seeing how you keep them to yourself so well. All I'd ask in returns are a few pieces of information that could be beneficial to myself, and in turn, you."

sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2009 0:07:38 GMT -6 »

Shaolin's eyes would lower, and brows would raise at his words. The shift in expression would give off an “oh really?” feel, as though she were questioning Tiao as far as if he was so sure that she didn’t know more about him than he seemed to assume. To be honest he was right, she didn't presently know much about him other than his name, face and stunt on the first day of school. Even still, she knew she wouldn't be in the dark about him for long. He[/b] could count on that. She'd lower her clipboard onto the table again, her eyes never shifting off of him.

His voice would lower, however Shaolin didn't bother to bring herself closer to hear him. She could hear him perfectly well from where she was. What he had to add made her eyes widen in delightful surprise. He was willing to give her exactly what she wanted just like that? She knew he wasn't one of the few who just wanted sit, confide and/or rant to her, because Tiao didn't seem to have those kinds of problems. So Shaolin did have to wonder what exactly Tiao had to say that needed to be said, for one, and secondly, kept secret. Her natural curiousity was being poked hard, and the excitement she always felt with keeping a secret had forced her to consider things.

Shaolin just wasn't sure about the conditions. For one, if she told Tiao what he wanted, she'd be going against her own code. She never did any snooping for anyone. In fact, she never usually openly sought info on anyone, usually. Shaolin usually just took what people gave her, and unless someone was becoming a problem to her, then she'd find out what she could about them. If she gave information to Tiao Lei Shen, wouldn't that perhaps show that she could not keep all information to herself? That if someone bargained with her, she COULD potentially reveal some or everything? Perhaps bringing that up would be a good idea.

You've captured my interest... I need to ask something first. If I understand correctly, you'd be willing to confide all your secrets to me if I tell you what you want. Do you believe I can be trusted with your own secrets, then? What sort of relationship are we creating here that will convince me to share other’s secrets with you, and keep yours locked away?[/font]

If he was just trying to get info out of her and that's it, Shaolin would turn him down right away. Sure gaining some info from Tiao would be a fair enough exchange, perhaps even beneficial, but she wasn't in some sort of information business. She personally just liked to know things, know people and understand them. Using it for her own benefit at times was just a plus. While her display earlier almost made her out to be some sort of blackmailer, this wasn't something she did often. Only when necessary, and saving herself from getting beaten up seemed like a good enough excuse to use this power she had. What would make Tiao so special that she’d make an exception? And not betray him like she felt she was doing to those she’d probably have to reveal the secrets of?

'See what this about. Make decision after. Potential, potential...Yes.'[/color]

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2009 12:13:12 GMT -6 »

Tiao watched as Shaolin's face changed in emotion in relation to her own thoughts. The changes were subtle of course, but very noticeable if one paid enough attention. It was important for Tiao to pay attention to these changes, however. During negotiations it was crucial to be able to flow with the wants and needs of your clients.

Tiao Lei Shen sat up straight once more, as she began to write. She was thinking of the proposal, that much was obvious by the sheer length of her writing in comparison to times before. Subtle hints, like we said.

"If you understand correctly, then you should know I won't merely be confiding any secrets to you. You'll be experiencing them first hand."

Tiao Lei Shen paused as he emphasized the last part, being sure to let her imagine the extents of Tiao's life she'd be able to infiltrate. If he told her anything, it would all be subjective to his own judgements first. With this more freedom, she'd have a more objective view in everything that would occur and therefore more valuable infromation.

"Our relationship is simple. You tell me the things I need to know to stay alive, healthy, and above the competition. In return, I give you monetary compensation as well as journalistic freedom of what we do. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. Seeing as you're a smart girl, I'm sure I don't have to tell you what would happen should you betray that trust."

sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2009 18:39:29 GMT -6 »

Shaolin grew evermore curious at the mention of experiencing it. It rose many more questions as far as just what on earth Tiao was up to. The explanation of the relationship had her gears rolling, and while she still didn't quite understand what this was truly about, at least now she sort of had an idea. She drew up different conclusions, from him wanting to be the schools top-dog to some sort of asian mafia due to the whole getting paid bit. In the end, she couldn't make up her mind and frustration was becomming apparent in her features. Even still, there was a smile on her face, proving that she wasn't getting angry over it.

The smile however, came more from that last bit. While she didn't like to be threatened, she suppose it was a fair enough warning.

Understood. May I ask, what exactly are you doing/planning?
[/font]

She didn't think Tiao would be willing to share that with her until she agreed to his proposal. However, she took her chances and asked anyway. If anything, she'd rather know what she was possibly getting into before-hand. This way she could know for sure if it was something she'd even want to be part of, or if it didn't prove as beneficial to her as Tiao claimed it would be.

'One hand. Money. Potential for info. Human behaviour... Sharing secrets...can be trusted?'

Her eyes would remain on Tiao, observing him as best she could. If she had picked up anything, it was his confidence. In a way, she felt a tad threatened by him, but, she didn't let it show. This wasn't feeling like a partnership, for one, which was something that usually put her at ease. Even if it would happen to be that, Shaolin felt overpowered and outmatched by Tiao, and it would not feel like they were equal anyway. For someone used to being her own master, working for someone wasn't something she was used to. Looks like she'd just have to suck it up.[/color]

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jun 5, 2009 23:44:36 GMT -6 »

"Ask all you want, Shao, but no real answers will come for free."

Tiao Lei Shen spoke her abbreviated name in an emphasized mandarin dialect, coincidentelly also meaning "small" or "little one." Tiao didn't know if Shaolin spoke any chinese, even given her intriguing namesake, but if she did it would likely only reinforce the tipping of the scales in relation to the two of them. While it was mutually beneficial, and Tiao believed it was, he didn't want Shaolin to be confused just who made the terms and conditions.

"It's a little too complicated to just straight out tell you, Shao. If you're having second thoughts, maybe we should just scrap the idea now. I don't want to hire a woman only to find a little girl in over her head."

Tiao Lei Shen was walking a fine line now, and he knew it. As he was taught, the best way to land a deal is to show that you're willing to walk away from it. The less desperate you seemed, the more they would. When acting if there was little to no gain, it gave the appearance that there would be more gain to the other party. Of course, all was in the eye of the beholder, and while there was much to be gained from both parties, it was possible both of them would only be delivering in half-truths.

But alas, that was the sort of business they'd be dealing.

sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 6, 2009 3:49:51 GMT -6 »

'As I thought.'

It was weird being called "Shao". She would get "Sha-sha" from family, but she had to admit Shao was a new one. The girl would have been able to tolerate it, however she noticed the emphasis Tiao seemed to put in the name the second time he said it. He was obviously Chinese, and she was pretty sure "shao" meant something. Shaolin only thought that because of the way Tiao felt the need to say it. It was the whole accent and everything that was giving it away. Perhaps she'd contemplate a counter-nickname. Not one with a meaning, but a cute one to annoy him.

There would be no time to wonder about it for long, as curiousity would be replaced with offense at what Shaolin considered insulting words. If she leaped out of her seat and mouthed what she intended to yell, she knew what would happen. It would lead to frustration over her inability to speak. This frustration would turn into burning anger and then she'd probably jump at her "potential employer" and show him exactly why he SHOULDN'T trust her. To prove the opposite, and that she did indeed have self-control; Shaolin would simply smile, taking her clipboard and writing her words carefully as usual.

You wouldn't have to worry about that, I can hold my own perfectly fine.
[/font]

After writing this line, she'd stop for a moment, her eyes widening at a sudden thought. A thought so wonderful that it brought a smile to her face. And with that single thought, she'd convinced herself.

I've thought about it enough, I believe. While I think you're shady, there's nothing to be gained by playing it safe all the time. If what you say is true, then there should be no reasons for me not to trust you as things progress.

I'm in.

Let me know what I gotta do.

Oh and...want to explain to me this SHAO business, Lei-Lei? =3
[/font]

She looked through her words carefully, swallowing her pride and shrugging, before placing the clipboard down on the table and letting "Lei-Lei" read it over. If anything, the last part made her feel better, and she'd have a cheeky smile ready for him whenever he would look back up at her.

[/color]

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jun 6, 2009 20:59:29 GMT -6 »

Though Tiao made no expression as he once again read over the clipboard, he was beaming with personal pride. His bluff had worked perfectly. Not only did Shaolin accept his proposal, but without any reworking of their oral contract. Of course, that would largely be due to perfection of the original deal itself. Also being constructed by Tiao, it didn't disuade his satisfaction.

Tiao Lei Shen looked up, the hints of a cocky smile forming on Shaolin's features. In return, Tiao allowed a short snicker in a friendly nature as he smirked briefly.

"For now, just do what you've always done. Keep your eyes and ears open. Anything you think I should know, let me know. I'm trusting your judgement for the time being. When you do, come see me here."

Tiao pulled a pen out from his jacket pocket, writing an address on Shaolin's clipboard at the top, which would appear upsideown to Shaolin til she flipped it. Below the numbers he'd write CLUB REBELLION in capital letters. Once he was finished, he'd smile a confident smile back towards Shaolin once more.

"Oh, and don't worry, Shao. It's not a big deal."

Without waiting for a response, which would come refreshingly easily since she was a mute, Tiao Lei Shen would stand up. He'd look her in the eye one more time, offering a brief wink before he walked away.

"Stay alert, rabbit."

sha

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 7, 2009 0:03:10 GMT -6 »

Shaolin would nod as she received her instructions (she supposed). That didn't seem too hard, but, she had no idea what Tiao should know. Mostly because she had no idea what the hell he was doing in the first place. What was competition? What would be bad for him? Honestly, he needed to give her a clue or something.

Her eyes would trail down to her clipboard, where Tiao would write down something. While he was writing that, Shaolin couldn't help but think to herself (mostly because she found not knowing anything frustrating).

'Prick.'

Her smile would be gone, and this time, Shaolin would not smile back toward Tiao as he smiled toward her. Again, he refused to tell her anything, even the smallest thing like what "Shao" was all about. He was getting annoying.

'Prick...'

Before she could respond in any way, Tiao would get up, winking and walking away. At this point, she couldn't yell at him. But she was pretty sure if she tried, she could sock him in the head with her pen. There was no point though, and instead Shaolin's teeth would clench behind her lips, and her eyes would lower.

'....Prick....'

She'd remember this. All of it.