Author Topic: Do I need anymore humiliation? (Ryker) (Read 351 times)
giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Do I need anymore humiliation? (Ryker)
« Jun 10, 2009 1:08:37 GMT -6 »

She thought she would never see her former opponent again, especially since they went to different schools. Somehow, he had the ability to stand out among the dozens of people that walked the streets of Chula Vista.

Never had she bothered to look up and see who was walking past her. Usually, she kept to herself and only paid attention to her destination. Yet, when she turned a corner, something tugged at her mind, causing her to look up.

Would he recognize and confront her? She hoped not. Even a week after the tournament had ended, she had failed to get over her humiliation. In the hallways, she kept a straight face, even surprising most of her classmates who thought that she would look a little sad after her defeat. However, she was suffering on the inside. She had walked in the ring feeling confident, and then she was carried out in humiliation. As soon as she regained consciousness, she felt ashamed of herself. She felt as if she had let down, not only herself, but every Henry Knox student that watched the match. Her goal was to prove that even against a male, any disciplined female could win, despite the fact that males are biologically stronger.

Benny did not hate Ryker; he won the match fairly, but she still could not face him so soon after their fight. She thought of the maze-like alley nearby--the same one she had chased Ezekiel down weeks ago. The idea of simply turning around and walking away also ran through her mind. However, those two choices would only show cowardice to her rival.

She did what she always did around other people: ignore and walk past. Her face was blank and showed no recognition towards Ryker. When she walked past, her shoulder almost brushed against his. Her fists, on the other hand, were clenched, betraying the mask she had carefully painted on her face.

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 10, 2009 1:32:02 GMT -6 »

Ryker wasn't hard to miss under any circumstances, he was a loud guy, walked around with purposeful strides, and when he was out of his increasingly annoying school uniform he seemed to have a unique style of clothing.

Today was no exception, as he had headed out to pick up a rather large looking clear green bottle of Mt. Dew that promised to either quench his thirst or make him capable of giving The Flash a run for his money.

Wearing a black jacket with the collar messy and flipped up, a clean white t-shirt with a skull at the center surrounded by Latin text he had never bothered to translate, beat up old jeans held up by a simple brown belt, and white sneakers that looked like they should be replaced sometime soon.

None of this made him someone you'd want to bump into, as his delinquent look was even completed with chains hanging off his belt, something he kept around since they were useful in a scrap. But that didn't mean he wasn't a nice guy, he was just... excitable.

So when he was walking into the very distinctive girl he couldn't help but stop her for a talk. Ryker got the impression she was just going to walk past him, so he waited to see if that was her plan. When they were just about to walk past each other he reached out his right arm and rested it across the front of her shoulders, squeezing her right shoulder as he held her up.

"Hey, uh, I never did get the chance to introduce myself," Ryker glanced down and to the right, his dark brown displaying his empathy like a warming glow. He fought more than anything in this school, and that wasn't surprising, but it was mostly due to principal and self protecting. He hadn't fought a girl just for the sake of fighting, and he could understand and recognize her sense of humiliation. "Name's Ryker Murdoch. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to buy you a drink, have a talk. What do you say?" Ryker asked as he gently squeezed her shoulder, attempting to give her a sense of comfort.

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 10, 2009 3:03:25 GMT -6 »

Before taking another step, she was stopped by his rather large arm. She remembered how those same muscular arms were used to take her down during her match. Her head turned slightly, and her eyes, after taking a quick glance at his body, finally rested on his face. She almost had to convince herself that he was not attacking her, but trying to act friendly.

However, her first impression of him was far from them being on friendly terms.

"My name is Beatrice Weston. Now if you'll excuse me." Her voice was quiet--the exact opposite of how she intended it to sound-- and for the first time in a long while, conveyed her hurt and fear. She couldn't even help but allow her last work to suddenly end up high-pitched. Everything she just did went against what she had tried to practice ever since she entered Henry Knox. She vowed to herself to prove that females could achieve anything by just working hard. Her recent actions, although small and unconsciously done, only emphasized how weak the cargo-pants clad girl looked compared to the powerful, confident boy that stood next to her.

Her right shoulder--which was squeezed by Ryker--felt all tingly. Although he tried to be gentle and comforting, the move only reminded her how tough her opponent was during their fight.

She had to get out of here, fast. Without saying another word, she ducked her pink head and pulled her right shoulder out of his grip. Her foot lifted, and she took a large step to the left to sidestep his arm. After that, she took another step, as if to walk away.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2009 3:04:59 GMT -6 by giggles » Back to Top  
ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 10, 2009 3:46:02 GMT -6 »

Ryker looked back into her eyes without hint of aggression, honestly trying to convey his empathy to her, and finding that it wasn't very appreciated. It wouldn't stop him, it wasn't something he was actively attempting to do, it was just his personality shining through his rough exterior.

Being very aware of how she was behaving he noticed not only the way her voice was quiet and lifted to high pitched. He could hear the hurt in her voice, and had seen hints of fear in her eyes. It softened his expression considerably, appearing almost sad to have had such a large negative effect on her in so short a time.

The only thing he didn't pick up on was that reminding her of his strength was not the comfort he intended it to be. As she tried to duck her head forward and pull herself out of his light grip he felt as though he needed to show her a larger sign of comfort. As she stepped back he moved forward, moving in front of her with his hand still on her shoulder, holding her back for a moment.

Bending his knees slightly, his eyes searching hers through her unique burgundy hair. "Please? It'll make me feel better if you'd let me at least buy you a drink." He offered again, in a slightly different way, his eyes and expression genuine as he was worried that he had done more damage to her ego than her body.

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 10, 2009 7:27:47 GMT -6 »

She was stopped by his arm again before she could take another step. Her head remained lowered to avoid eye contact. However, with her view she was able to get a good look at his knees. She saw as he bent his knees to lower himself to her level. His body was also close to hers, making it more difficult to avoid direct eye contact with him.

Slowly, she lifted her head up. Her hair had grown slightly the last couple of weeks, and she had to flip her head slightly to get the hair out of her face. With a pained expression in her eyes, she looked at him.

He had a kind expression on his face, and he actually looked concerned about her. She was touched; people rarely showed her that much care. Immediately, she felt bad for treating him so coldly. She shouldn't have made a judgment on him after just one meeting. However, the first time she had met him was during a fight, so she couldn't actually call that a real meeting.

The pained expression on her face disappeared, replaced by the impassive mask she always wore. She had briefly let her emotions run loose in front of another person, which she vowed to never do again. She had to control herself, no matter how sad or touched Ryker had made her feel.

"Very well," she replied in a clear, loud voice.

She pulled away from Ryker--physical contact always made her uncomfortable--and nodded for him to lead the way. If he would feel better by treating her to something to drink, then she would allow herself to spare twenty minutes to satisfy the guy. Hopefully, he wouldn't bother her with anything after that, especially if he found her cold attitude impossible to deal with.

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 10, 2009 11:53:48 GMT -6 »

Ryker really did feel bad for the girl. He didn't know the real reason she looked so pained, but he just had that sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach that told him there was a reason she was showing him the expression, and that the reason was he was at fault.

While she held his gaze he offered a slight twinge at the corner of his lips, a genuine smile building as he thought he saw the pain recede, if only slightly. Giving her a light pat on the shoulder he stepped back and turned, his slight smile lifting into a friendly grin.

Having been given the nod to lead the way he did just that. He had come from a Italian run, Mexican staffed, pizza parlor only a block away. He lead her there quietly, feeling as though he should give her some time to compose herself, as she looked quite out of sorts when she first saw him.

Ryker opened the door for her and would follow in just after. Once inside he would walk to the counter and wave to the man behind the counter, he had just exchanged names and Ryker was wearing a sheepish grin as he rested his right forearm and elbow on the counter. "Yeah, I'm back already José, I found a thirsty acquaintance."

The darker skinned man smiled and nodded, leaning forward to take a closer look at the customer that entered and welcomed her with a large wave.

"Beatrice, feel free to grab what you want, if your hunger or whatever that's fine."

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2009 6:37:10 GMT -6 »

Her eyes narrowed slightly when Ryker patted her on the back. She was still uncomfortable with physical contact, and the only exception she had for touching was during spars. However, her expression turned back to normal. Or what was considered normal for her.

The trip to the pizza parlor was quiet. Neither bothered to make any conversation, which was fine with her; she was never the social type. She assumed that they were going to talk at wherever they were going to have drinks at.

As she neared the restaurant, she could smell burnt cheese and grease. The smell only grew stronger as they entered the restaurant. To her, the tantalizing scent of calorie-loaded, greasy pizza was heaven to her nostrils after weeks of eating the crap served at Henry Knox that they cafeteria ladies dared to call food. She forgot the taste of pizza. In fact, she was never fond of Italian cuisine. However, her standards for what she called good food had dropped considerably the last three years.

Benny ignored Ryker as he told her to get whatever she wanted; she wanted to keep whatever she owed him to a minimum. After running her eyes over the menu she decided on the cheapest thing that she found: a small soda.

"I'll take a small coke."

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 11, 2009 12:06:21 GMT -6 »

Ryker didn't think he minded the walk to back to his new buddy José, he figured she was just quiet because it was awkward to meet him randomly and she was warm up some when he showed that him buying her something wasn't bull. But she had stood a bit away from him, kept her expression blank, and out of all the amazing if a tad fatty food she chose a small Coke.

Frowning at her he shook his head and gave her a sound pat on the back, and proceeded to ignore her. "Scratch that José. Make that two large Coke's." The man behind the counter raised his brow and shrugged, it just meant more money for him, so he turned around and went to the soda machine and started to fill up two disposable cups.

Meanwhile Ryker turned and tilted his head, leaning against the counter as he dropped his head low enough that he was looking up at the girls eyes. "If you aren't gonna be reasonable and tell me how you like your pizza you're gonna get stuck eating what I like, and I've got some weird ass tastes after all my years out of the country."

Even if she ended up not helping him eat the large pizza he now intended to order he could always just bring it back to Kietm his roommate, and inform him that he was getting some grouchy girl's leftover pizza.

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 12, 2009 4:17:25 GMT -6 »

Benny was annoyed by his refusing to listen to her request, but hardly any complaints left her lips. She was getting a free drink, after all. Or what she hoped was free. If he was expecting anything in return, then he was taking the wrong person out for a drink.

If possible, she stood up straighter and puffed out her chest. Just because Ryker was taller didn't mean that he was more intimidating. Benny had plenty of strength in her, despite losing the fight against him. Without shrinking away, she met his gaze with her blue eyes, not even blinking.

"I find all of this unnecessary. There is no need to waste your time on me," she told him slowly, just to make sure that he didn't miss any of her words. She didn't doubt, however, that he would ignore her wishes. He had already proved that by talking her into entering the pizza parlor in the first place.

"But very well. I will go find a table."

Benny wasn't going to complain too much. She liked pizza, even if Ryker was the one buying it. His choice for the toppings was all up to him because she doubted that he would pick a combination gross enough to even compare to what was served at her school. Her stomach was tough; she had lived through food poisoning several times ever since she had set foot in Henry Knox.

She turned away with her chin still held high and walked to the tables, which she noted were all covered in a thin layer of grease. However, she managed to find a place that was less dirty compared to the other seats in the restaurant. With a few napkins provided on the table, she was able to clean up most of the mess and have their area looking somewhat decent: there were still a few dried up spots of tomato sauce that the napkins couldn't wipe up.

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009 4:19:34 GMT -6 by giggles » Back to Top  
ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 13, 2009 11:35:07 GMT -6 »

One corner of Ryker's mouth quirked up into a grin as he noticed the girl straighten up and puff her chest out slightly, something he was sure she wouldn't appreciate him noticing, so she could feel like she was coming from a place of strength instead of awkwardness and annoyance.

It didn't make much difference to Ryker so he just shrugged and straightened up, going with what he decided he wanted on the pizza since she made it clear there was not going to be any special requests out of her. And with free reign Ryker clapped his hands together and rubbed them as he danced his eyes over the toppings he could choose.

"Alright José let's see what we can get you to crank out of that oven." It took him all of twenty seconds for him to pluck out his choices, and he curved his desire for anchovies and pineapple in favor something a little more palatable to the untrained tongue. "Roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes, fresh rosemary, and fresh sage."

José wrote down the order on a small pad of paper and stabbed it onto a spinning circle of chrome spikes that held several other orders on it. Giving it a spin the order was set and José told him it would be ready in ten minutes. One of the glories of having a conveyor contraption instead of an actual oven.

After dropping a twenty on the counter, all the cash he bothered to walk around with, Ryker picked up the two large cola's and headed to the table that seemed to have been cleaned by the girl. He grinned, noticing the military trait that he had seen his father displayed when he was annoyed with his tables at local restaurants. "Here you go." He said as he dropped her cola in front of her and slid himself into a seat across from her.

Ryker took a quick sip from his soda and launched directly into the wound, hoping the tools he was carrying were peroxide and band aids instead of hand grenades and knives. "So why do I get the feeling your humiliated about our fight?"

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 14, 2009 4:45:16 GMT -6 »

She stared at the dirtied napkins before setting them to the side of the table. With her back straight and her hands in her lap, she waited for Ryker. He didn't take too long; within a minute he had already ordered their pizza and came back with their drinks. She eyed the moisture running down the large plastic cup.

"Thank you," she said quietly, taking her drink. Weeks living on water and spoiled milk made the cola taste like it was the most delicious thing in the world. She loved how the bubbles coated her tongue and popped. Gripping the top of the straw with her pointer finger and thumb, she continued to drink deeply.

Until Ryker had to ruin the moment just when she thought that he wasn't that bad of a guy, after all.

She pulled her mouth away from the straw and paused. Suddenly, she slammed her drink on the table. The force would have been enough to make the cola spill out of the cup if there hadn't been a plastic lid to prevent that.

"You must be mistaken; I was in no way humiliated about the fight. You won fairly."

How could he even read her feelings? She kept every emotion locked away deep in her heart. Her stone-like face was supposed to cover any anger, resentment, sadness, or even happiness that she felt. She could not consciously remember a time when the mask she kept on slipped. If he was able to tell how she felt, then what about other people? She kept her face impassive for a good reason.

Benny never would have thought that he would ask such a personal question so soon. All he did was make her feel even worse about herself. Her pride continued to hurt, and the salt that he poured over her wound made it even harder to heal.

She slid out of the booth and stood up. Without looking back at Ryker, she walked past him slowly.

"I need to use the bathroom."

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 14, 2009 15:47:51 GMT -6 »

Ryker nodded to the girl across from him, perfectly happy to feel like he was giving her some sort of compensation after making her feel bad. It made him feel better, but mostly because he was feeling as though she was comfortable with him at this point.

With this in mind he picked up his own drink and leaned back, uncaring that condensation was dripping on his tee shirt as he leaned back and drank nearly a forth of the soda. Of course he still had his Mt. Dew, which he had placed next to him on his seat, but he now intended to save that bottle for later.

He thought things were going well, but it ended up that his blunt words had earned him yet another hurt look and a burst of aggression. But he kept himself relaxed, frowning as he watched her slam the soda down and spoke to him with a cold tone.

Ryker felt her emotions more than he saw it, but it was still that first moment of weakness, where her guard had slipped, that he just couldn't let go. It had been clear to him that she had felt the effects of the loss.

But he didn't want her to get up from the booth and leave him feeling like an ass because his personality didn't do subtle or tactful all that well. Ryker grabbed her wrist and start with, preventing her from passing him completely, his fingers wrapped carefully around her wrist only tightly enough to stop her but not trap her. "Come on, I already ordered. At least put up with my blunt attitude long enough to finish off a couple slices. Or at the very least come up with a better lie if you're trying to avoid talking to me about this."

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 15, 2009 3:12:50 GMT -6 »

So much for going to the bathroom. Ryker grabbed with wrist before she could take another step. She inhaled and stared at him before returning to her seat.

Benny wondered if he thought that she was going to run away instead of going to the toilet. That would have been a good idea, but she wasn't the type of girl that would refuse free pizza. She just wanted a couple minutes alone to compose herself and find a way to handle Ryker without getting hurt any more than she was.

However, it seemed that he had a problem with her leaving the table. She sighed inside and picked up her drink again. The soda made her feel slightly better, but it still didn't help the fact that Ryker wanted an honest answer from her.

"I entered the contest fully aware that there was a chance of me losing. You won fairly, so I see no point in pursuing the topic any further," she told him. Eye contact was too difficult for her to achieve at that time, so she used a trick that she discovered years ago: looking at another area of the face. She concentrated on his nose, but she gave the impression that she was making eye contact with him.

"I told you the truth. You won against me. Be happy about that," she added. "And if you continue to pester me, then I will leave."

Benny looked over at the counter. She was well aware that Ryker only placed his order two minutes ago, but she wished that the pizza would come soon. At least he would be too distracted with eating to ask her anymore personal questions.

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 15, 2009 13:41:18 GMT -6 »

Ryker had no problem holding her gaze, as he was much more direct and not the one who was behaving a tad on the timid and distant side. When she started moving back to the seat across from him he released her wrist and rested his forearm on the table.

With his brow raised slightly pulled his drink back to him and lifted it, sipping on the cold soda as condensation made his hand damp and cold. She eventually told him that she entered the tournament knowing there was a chance of losing, but that had never been the point.

Groaning he leaned forward, his elbow on the table, his arm bent so when he leaned forward he was planting his head on his hand. His shoulders were tense as he rubbed his scalp, going insane over how evasive she was about the subject. It wasn't what she said, it was what she didn't.

She didn't say she was alright with her loss, or even mildly comfortable with it, but after she made a point to say she would leave if he kept prodding he just felt frustrated. He struggled internally to let it go, and his posture would convey that clearly.

"Fine, fine." He grunted while rolling his eyes, dropping his arm heavily on the table, looking to the counter and leaning his back against the wall to the left of the booth, feeling like he was going to get a migraine from repressing his need to know why the hell she was acting distant and hiding her pain.

"But fuck if I know why your holding it back."

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 26, 2009 3:29:44 GMT -6 »

He dropped the subject of her avoiding to discuss the matter of her loss. She was relieved but an uneasy feeling in her stomach told her that he would try to pursue the subject in the future. Well, if they ever met in the future--she was going to make sure that they had at least several hundred feet between each other after the night.

She could tell by his attitude that he was frustrated. His eye roll hinted that he didn't believe a word that she had said. The more annoyed he was with her, the better; if he got sick of being around her, then she would not have to deal with his pestering.

Benny took the straw with two fingers and made the ice and cola swirl around with one turn. She then took another long sip. After her drink, she picked up a napkin and wiped the moisture off her fingers. Her bladder was starting to feel full, and this time she truly needed to go to the toilet. Without saying anything, she took out her cell phone and wallet and placed it on the table, just so Ryker wouldn't think that she was going to leave. She then stood up and walked passed him, heading towards a door that had a "ladies" sign painted on the wood.

She felt no concern for her personal belongings; except for a few ID cards, her wallet was empty and he would find nothing interesting on her mobile phone. Plus, they were items that could easily be replaced. She wasn't risking her life, after all. The short time with Ryker showed her that he wasn't the type of person that would want to steal some girl's phone. He had obtained something that Benny rarely gave out: a tiny bit of trust.

ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 26, 2009 18:36:07 GMT -6 »

Wasn't hard to guess that everyone within earshot knew that he was annoyed, although the reason would be a little bit of a blurry spot. Of course he would bring it up again, but at least not until he got some food in his stomach.

Ryker pressed his thumb into the plastic top of his drink and flipped it off, raising it to his lips and tilting his head back, using his lips as a filter for the ice as he sucked down his entire drink in several large gulps. If nothing else he needed something to distract him while he cooled off.

When he dropped the cup back to the table he noticed that there was a cellphone and wallet on the table, and his burgundy haired friend was walking toward the ladies room. Ryker raised his brow, looked between the table, her, the wallet, her, the cellphone, her. Feeling as though he made himself dizzy he rubbed his head as he lost all tension in his neck, letting the back of his head rest against the top of his seat.

The girl would drive him insane with all this non-verbal communication, but at least she didn't think he was some random asshole that was going to molest her or steal her wallet. All the same he was still frustrated enough that he considered bashing his skull into the table. Why were people so complicated? Couldn't she just spit it out and feel better?

Ryker jerked his head forward and looked to the side, the order was up. She was still in the bathroom so he kept one eye on the table as he got up and went to the pizza, it was on a metal tray that burned his hands on the way back to the table. Hissing he dropped it on the edge of the table and quickly pushed the girls belongings to the wall and shifted the pizza to the middle between them.

Flailing his hands helplessly he glared at Jose, the bastard could have given him mitts or something. Growling he grabbed her soda, as it still had more soda and ice than his own, and sighed in relief as the cold helped what would have been blisters if his hands hadn't grown thicker skin because of the work he used them on. "Ow," He hissed.

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jun 27, 2009 6:19:57 GMT -6 »

The bathroom she entered was not the cleanest she had ever seen, which was expected of a pizza joint. She found that all the stalls had out of order signs on them except for one. Benny entered and held her breath as soon as the smell of urine entered her nostrils. There was also a black ring inside the toilet bowel that she did not want to think about. She quickly did her business and exited the stall.

The sinks were no better, but she was able to squeeze out the last bit of soap from the dispenser. She spent twenty minutes washing her hands and used a paper towel to turn off the water. After brushing a few burgundy strands out of her eyes and giving her lips a coat of cherry-scented chapstick, she exited the ladies room.

She noticed that their pizza had already arrived at the table. The size of the dish surprised her, as it was impossible for the both of them to finish more than half of the pizza. But then, she didn't really give a care; Ryker was the one paying, after all.

Benny slid back into her seat and returned her cell phone and wallet back to her pockets. The pizza looked delicious and she could even smell the herbs that Ryker had picked out for the topping. Not bad for a cheap pizza joint.

Ignoring the heat, Benny reached for a slice, burning her fingers in the process. The cheese was gooey and stretched several inches as it made its way to Benny's plate. She then took a generous bite of her slice, savoring the garlic and the tomato sauce. She couldn't understand why Ryker claimed that he picked out weird toppings.

Every few bites were washed down by a large sip of soda. She estimated that she could down at least two slices, three if she had enough room in her stomach.

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2009 6:20:47 GMT -6 by giggles » Back to Top  
ryker

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 8, 2009 11:34:11 GMT -6 »

Ryker had let go of the drink and hoped she wouldn't notice that he had used it to cool off his burns, but it was already bleeding large droplets of condensation where his hands had been so it didn't turn out to be that big of an issue. When she came back he purposefully nodded to her, still a bit tense and wincing.

But if there was one thing he could do, which she may not expect with his lean form, was put away a pizza. The only thing that would stop him from wolfing down the whole thing it was that he suspected that his roommate would like a few slices of the pizza. So he happily picked up a slice, watched as the cheese stretched from where it was cut, and started blowing on it.

He dropped it onto his plate and sighed, his fingers still burned. Ryker turned to the shakers and grabbed the red pepper flakes and white puffy cheese that sat next to it. He shook out more then a generous amount, making his slice look like a mess, but after he folded it down the middle it wasn't noticeable.

Two large bites later and the slice was bitten down to the crust, and his mouth worked tirelessly to make the pizza small enough that he could swallow. Once the slice was no more he sighed, feeling like a puff of smoke was rising out of his mouth since the pizza had nearly burned the inside of his mouth. All the same it was the tastiest thing he had in years.

giggles

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Jul 12, 2009 2:54:53 GMT -6 »

After the first mouthful, she took small bites, mainly because the pizza was still hot enough to leave a stinging sensation on her tongue. Ryker, however, scarfed down his pizza. She wondered if he was worried that the food was going to go away. He didn't have to worry about anything since she was only planning on having two slices, which was only a small amount considering the size of the dish he ordered.

She wondered how anyone could cover the pizza with even more cheese even when there was a lot of cheese in the the first thing. The burgundy-haired girl guessed that it was just a boy thing since she remembered some of her old male acquaintances doing the same thing back when she was living in the East.

Her first slice was finished well-after Ryker took his first two bites. Unlike him, she liked to fully enjoy her dish. She had no idea if she would ever be able to eat pizza like this ever again, after all.

She sprinkled a few red pepper flakes on the top--enough to give her tastes buds a kick without taking away from the original flavor of the pizza.

The pizza had cooled down a bit, but her eating pace was unchanged. She looked at Ryker every now and then but was in no mood to start a conversation. Talking wasn't her thing, after all.