Author Topic: Staff Protocol (Read 329 times)
z

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Staff Protocol
« Apr 26, 2009 23:52:55 GMT -6 »

Basically, what I'm doing here is giving a run-down, right here on paper, of what exactly is up to a Mod and what's not. This way, if an Admin isn't present or online and you need to take action, you can check here to see if you should just go ahead and do what needs be done, or to hold off and PM or MSN one of our lovely Administrators. This will likely not be anywhere near an exhaustive list, but I'll do my best.

Administrator Duties:
Board Upkeep - General Management of the physical site, creation and deletion of new boards, basically, shit a Mod doesn't have access to.

Major Plot Events - Anything that deals with more than a single thread or a small amount of people, needs some form of Administrator approval or oversight. Generally we all need to be on the same page, here, especially since this board is going to be so story-driven, we can't have just anyone coming up with a sudden board-changing storyline without approval.

The Banhammer - Really, any true punishment for actions needs to be undertaken by the Admin. I'm not entirely sure if, as a Mod, we're even capable of doing it, but we damn sure can't tell someone they're banned, suspended, etc. without Administrator approval.

Rule Addendum - Don't just go adding new rules or deleting them as a Mod. That's the Administrator's decision. Sometimes, things change, and you might be right there on the cutting edge of that change, but even so, you need to talk it over with the rest of the team before we can decide on a course of action.

Moderator Duties:
Personnel Management- This is, far and away, what I consider the most important job of a Moderator. We need to make ourselves open to the public, let them know that we are always just a PM away if there's any questions, comments, disputes, or otherwise. Always be ready to correspond with the members with any problems they have, and, if you can, solve them, and if not, you are responsible with getting in touch with other mods and/or the Admins to come to a conclusion.

Small Dispute Solving - If there's an issue with a fight, or between a few members OOC, or something on a small scale, a mod can and should take steps to fix it asap. You wouldn't have been made a moderator if you didn't have at least a decent amount of trust from the Administrators, so it should be safe to assume that you're trusted enough to take the best course of action in solving whatever immediate problem there happens to be.

Approving Bios - This is self-explanatory, and is usually the default job of the mods anyway. Stay on top of bios and make sure they get approved as hastily as possible. I'm not even the least bit joking when I say there's no reason for a completed bio not to be read over and replied to, either in approval or how to fix it, within 24 hours, and honestly I don't see why we couldn't get it done in 12. Speaking of that, though, leads me to my next point...

Working with Potential Members - If a newbie's bio isn't up to snuff, and you're the one who reads it and denies them approval, then I'm of the opinion that you've just volunteered yourself to making sure they get their bio up to snuff. Now, I've rarely seen bios not accepted anywhere but Varron/Hircine, so I do have SOME experience with it. Don't just say "Denied" in your reply. Tell them what needs fixing, some suggestions on how to fix it, and, as stated earlier, make yourself available for PMing to further work on the bio. I've had people I had to work with for the greater part of a week to get their bio to acceptable conditions, but I got 'em there. I expect any and all mods to do the same.

Warnings - While no mod can really administer any punishment (hence the term administrator), you're more than welcome to drop very threatening hints to people about what will soon be coming their way if they continue their behavior. Most members won't know that, as a moderator, you technically can't do anything, and those that do are usually smart enough to know that the Administrator can and will listen to what his mod teams tells them, usually over what a member will.

Mass PMs - This is sorta of an iffy one, as generally any one moderator probably shouldn't go off spouting Mass PMs on a whim, but if a mod or two get together and confirm the need to let the entire member base know something, I don't see why they shouldn't send out a PM to tell everyone.

And there you have it. We're all staff here, so anyone feel free to add or edit the list as you see fit. All I ask, however, is that when you do, point out who you are as you do it. EDIT BY Z: For example, this is how I, personally, would add something in. Just make sure we know who adds what, so if there is a general disagreement on the edit, we can not only fix it, but make sure we get in touch with whoever made the change and explain to them the reason. Otherwise this would just end up like a bad wikipedia article.

dm

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Staff Protocol
« Apr 27, 2009 0:00:14 GMT -6 »

Very nice work Ryan, I think this is very well done. You have earned kudos!

*Ryan gains one kudo* *Zelda Item Acquired music*

z

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Staff Protocol
« Apr 27, 2009 0:01:20 GMT -6 »

*Ryan gazes widely into an oversized Treasure Chest shining forth blinding light as he achieves his kudo*

Conner
Sensei
Horseman of War

Conner Avatar

wat

[send pm]

Staff Protocol
« Apr 27, 2009 9:31:25 GMT -6 »

That's a good way to summarize the slices of power around here, I think. Nice one Ryan. I approve.

Remind me to talk to you about this later; we should probably post up a similar note in the Rules section for board members to review along with other important details.

[MpB:http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/Kyukaku/smoothtrooper-1-1.jpg]