Author Topic: Tasties (Connor) (Read 370 times)
berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 20, 2009 21:48:27 GMT -6 »

OMG Spaghettios!!!!!!

Holy shit! O.O

Pop the top. The scent of preserved tomatoes and noodles hit her senses. Holy mother of God that was the best scent in the world. Tossing the can lid in the trash, best not to leave a mess. Bad when you left evidence of your tasty theft.

Bowl.. bowl... aha! bowl.

Dumping the tasty noodles and sauce into the white ceramic bowl a button press later and the micro door popped open swinging wide open. Inviting her to place her tasty prize withint it's grasps. Back of the can gave the proper heating instructions but she bothered not with it. Afterall, three minutes was basically the round about amount for cooking tasties out of a can in the micro.

*grumble grumble*

The stabbing pain. Had been too much for her anymore. Usually she could keep herself busy enough that she wouldn't notice it too much. But it seemed that her stomach was hungry. Not just hungry... but HUNGRY. It was pissed off and tired of being empty all the time. The intense pains shooting through her body as it waited for the food. They had lessened a bit now that her mind and body both knew that food was seconds away.

Beeeeeeeeeeeep.

YES!

Opening the mirco the steam came out from under the napkin. Pulling it out of the micro she hissed.

Damn that bowl is hot!

A sigh, later and some cold water on her fingertips and Berlin was sitting indian style on the counter top. Curly hair all about her in a mess of tangles. She was dirty, she hadn't showered, and she was starving. The place was nice though. Very spartan and clean. Very interesting overall. There wasn't much decoration in it all together. But it was comfy enough she guessed. The main thing was that there was FOOD. Tasty wonderful food.

yes, she had actually broken into another dorm. Using the window she had jimmied the sucker open and climbed inside. Why? Because she was poor. She was lucky that the dorms came with furniture or she would still be sleeping on the floor. So here she was, eating food, that wasn't hers, in a dorm, that wasn't hers. But was waaay cooler.

She didn't chew.

She didn't eat.

She INHALED the tasty spaghettios! Nothing was tastier.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2009 21:50:03 GMT -6 by berlin » Back to Top  
connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 20, 2009 22:12:42 GMT -6 »

Connor was on his way back to his dorm. The day had been interesting enough. He was still trying to puzzle together what his course of action would be in dealing here at the school. A good deal of the students were a problem, the system was corrupt, and he was finding many similarities between this school and his last.

He sighed, and headed back to the one place he had solace and peace. His dorm. He needed little, and used less. He had no need for decorations, and less for lights. The only thing he had that wasn't 'simple' was his stereo, a gift from his mentor. He also had a library of music that would rival any music shop. Since he didn't watch TV (for obvious reasons), he didn't have one.

It was still early in the afternoon, so daylight was still abundant. But, it mattered little to the blind student. He walked, and came up to the window side of his dorm first. He distinctly heard noises within. Not just movement, but the clatter of dishes. A few other noises that he didn't recognize, but they were definitely coming from his dorm. Someone had broken in? He didn't think he had made any enemies here. Unless someone had really gotten pissed off at him from the assembly the other day. He doubted it.

He came in through the same window, making sure to stay silent. His dorm was a decent size, and so he managed to listen in. The microwave, some sounds of what he thought was someone's... no, that was too loud. It couldn't be someone's stomach grumbling. Could it? He could smell the Spaghettios. He wasn't even fond of them. Suichi had packed them for him, in case he needed a quick meal, and didn't have time for something else. So, the loss of one can really wasn't a huge loss at all.

There was another scent, too. A few. Dirt, the human body as if it had not been cleaned. Connor was quick of mind, and was able to piece a few things together. This was not a break in out of want... it was out of need. Survival. Connor, not wanting a fight, decided to approach things as he usually did. With a kind heart, and a warm smile.

He gave a slight tap, just enough to get an idea of the position and size of his 'guest.' He didn't know age, weight, or sex, but he did know they were seated on his counter. Not only that, but they were so focused on downing the food (again, more sounds gave that away) that he would be able to just lean in the doorway. Which he did.

"You know, you could have just asked." His tone was gentle, with no hint of ill will. His smile showed he had little will for violence. He was wearing his gloves, shades, and had his cane in hand. Not as a weapon, but it would give off his condition immediately. He pointed at the cabinets. "I don't really like them anyway. Help yourself."

With that, he took a seat closest to the door. He grinned. "Well, you're already doing that anyway, aren't you." He chuckled. "I would think you should at least chew it. You don't have to rush. If you go to fast, you'll choke." He pointed at the small fridge. "There's a few bottles of water in there. And I think a can or two of Coke."

Was he offering more to the thief who broke in? Well, yes. Why? Well, why not? He figured by all accounts, this person needed these things more than he did. Else, why would they have broken in here in the first place? "Oh, and the door makes for a better way in and out. Less climbing."

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 20, 2009 23:22:41 GMT -6 »

"You know, you could have just asked."

"Shit!"

Where had he come from?!

Berlin looked up. Face smeared with the sauce of the spaghettios. One round noddle stuck to the right side of her lips which her tongue snuck out and grabbed like a venus fly trap. He was dressed. Gloves. Sunglasses. What was it sunny?

Well.. it probably was. But that was besides the point!

The cane was what caught her interest immediatly though. The fact that it was in his gloved hands. Now Berlin had not lived on the streets for most of her life without really knowing things about people and knowing when things added up to something. Simple life mathematics she supposed one could call it. He was blind. That was simple enough to see though he seemed to be looking right at her.

The point was she had been caught. That meant she was gong to have to leave. Or he was calling dorm security and she would be kicked out and punsihed. And if she was punished what if they found out that she acutally didn't have parents at all anyway. Then she might get thrown out of the school that she wanted so badly to attend and then her life would be set back to where it had been before.

Damn. Might have thought this over first.

"I don't really like them anyway. Help yourself."

Wait.. huh?!

"I can.. have them?"

She was surprised obviously. He was helping the girl that he so obviously knew had broken into his place. Helped herself to his tasties. And now was sitting on his counter inhaling them. Yet he was going to give her some. She would have them right then and there, but the street smarts said to take them with her. maybe he would even give her a bowl. So that she could heat them in her room. Oh and a spoon so that she didn't have to burn her fingers!

But that was asking a lot.

"Well, you're already doing that anyway, aren't you. I would think you should at least chew it. You don't have to rush. If you go to fast, you'll choke."

Berlin blushed. While true, she had to admit she was in a hurry not only because she was starving but also because she was trying to get her eating done before the person that lived here got home. Guess that didn't work out so well. Since the boy came home. All quiet like, she didn't even know she was in the boys dorm to begin with.

NINJA STYLE!!

"There's a few bottles of water in there. And I think a can or two of Coke."

Berlin looked in the direction that his cane pointed. Fridge. Well she supposed there would be drinks in there. As that was usually where they tended to be. Sliding down from the counter. Unsure of if this was a trick, a trap, or something else. She moved to the fridge and opened it.

SODA!!! JACKPOT!!!

Taking one of the cokes out of the fridge she popped it open and hungrily devoured half of it in several gulps. Her eyes never left the blind boy. Just incase he decided to come across the room and teach her a lesson for breaking into his place. Not that she would blame him, but something about getting beaten up by a blind kid made one a bit embarassed.

"Ummmm thanks.. for.. uhh everything.. If you don't mind.. I'll take the spaghettios with me... with that many I can eat for three whole days!"

One can a day, that was perfect. It was more food than she got on a normal basis. Good think she liked spaghettios. If only the boy had cheetos. Or those pizza roll things! Oooo hot pockets.! Best not to get too excited, he was probably being really nice giving her the spaghettios. No one simply parted with them for no reason.

"Oh, and the door makes for a better way in and out. Less climbing."

Ohhhhh. So that was it. Time to leave. She got it. Berlin picked up her bowl. Devoured the last couple bites. But took the time to wash out the dish and put it to the side. He was being nice afterall. Giving her tasties and all. Grabbing the three cans left in the cupboard Berlin picked up her half empty soda can looking at the blind boy.

"Uhhh so thanks for food... I uhhh.. well.. uhhh.. I'm not really sure what to say I thought you would be angry.... I mean.. I stole spaghettios."

Not that they filled the void completely anyway.. her stomach was still grumbling.

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 22, 2009 15:02:02 GMT -6 »

He nodded at her wanting to take the cans. "Sure. You're very welcome. It's no problem at all." He would have offered her a bowl, and a spoon, and anything else. He had more than he needed. But, he didn't want to make assumptions that she was that much in need. It might have come off as insulting, and he didn't want to offend.

She spoke about him being angry, and he gave her a confused look. "Angry?" His face changed. "Oh, for the breaking in." He shrugged. "Being angry does no good. What would have it solved?" He hoped to put her at ease. Not to spring a trap. Connor was crafty, but had no intentions of doing something bad to her. No, instead he felt like she might need help.

He could tell she was a girl. At least, by the sound of the voice. Could be a boy with a girl voice? Nah. But, something about her was... off. She seemed jittery. Well, that was to be expected. She hadn't exactly expected him to show up. But, she wasn't used to this kind of reaction. It was like he broke her mind by his mannerisms. "I could be angry if you want." He grinned. He was obviously fooling.

He could hear her stomach, and chuckled. "You downed that whole can, and you're still hungry?" He stood up, slowly. "Well, I was going to either make some lunch, or head out and get something. If you're still hungry, you're welcome to join me." He gave her one of those boyish charming smiles. He didn't even know he had them. "I'd like the company."

He extended his hand. "By the way, I'm Connor."

Why was he being nice? Well, he didn't have the heart to turn her away. Not only that, but he wasn't a cruel person. "You pick. Eat in, or out?"

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 7:11:38 GMT -6 »

"Angry?"

YES ANGRY! What did he 'think' she was talking about? I mean come on! He had come home to find a strange girl inhaling the best F*ing bowl of spaghettios that she had ever had in her life, and he wondered why he might be angry.

None too savvy was he?

"Oh, for the breaking in."

Berlin shot the blind boy a blank look mixed with a glare. It was something she liked to call a 'blare'.. Was he toying with her? Did he really not know why he should be angry that she was stealing his delicious.. tomatoey.. noodley.. Chef Boyardee tasties?!

"Being angry does no good. What would have it solved?"

HOLY JESUS O.O

She had broken in and found herself a real live Buddist. That was the only thing that she could think he had to be. Being angry does no good? HUH?! WTF did that mean? She really had no clue how being angry did no good. She got angry on a daily basis, took it out on some old crummy couch down her favorite alleyway and she felt LOADS better. Well.. she supposed she wouldn't have to pummel the couch if she wasnt angry in the first place.

"Would have solved me being a mooch?"

Well.. at least Berlin was honest, no?

"I could be angry if you want."

Was he serious?! Or was this boy just trippin?

His smile though.. was.. breathtaking. It was so innocent she had never seen a smile so sweet except from little children that came out of the Toys R Us.. or perhaps the candy store... hands holding the bags of the amazing gifts their parents had just bought them. Berlin had never known a life like that. She had always been hungry, always been more, and most of her life had been spent running the streets with her brother and a few friends that were also homeless. It wasn't until she had really decided to turn things around that she had come to enroll in school.

Now she was doing just fine. Roof over her head. A bed, relatively clean sheets, a shower all of her own. She knew that at some point she would have a roomate but for now, she didn't. And she stole soap from the public bathrooms to take a bath with.. the only thing that she really lacked was food.

Thus the amazing break in!

"No no! That's okay.. really.. I don't WANT you to be angry or anything.. I don't MIND you being all nice and stuff it's just weird.... veeeerrrrry weird."

Berlin's voice caught that higher pitch as she said the last two words of the above statement. But! Hey who was she to decide if he had to be angry or not. Just any 'normal' person would have either beaten her up, kicked her out, or called the cops while she made a run for the open window.

*grumble grumble*'

DAMN YOU STAY QUIET!!!

"You downed that whole can, and you're still hungry?"

Berlin blushed. "Uh huh."

Might as well be honest, she was starving here! Obviously he couldn't tell that she was homeless.. or was til school.. just by looking at her. Though she supposed that might have something to do with the whole being blind thing. Perhaps that was why he was actually giving her what seemed like a chance. It might just be that, considering that he could not tell she was ragged and that she probably smelled and that her clothes were huge and her shoes much too small.

"Well, I was going to either make some lunch, or head out and get something. If you're still hungry, you're welcome to join me."

Make lunch.. or go get something.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

FREEZE FRAME!

Lets run through today's events. Berlin was hungry and broke into some strangers dorm to get sustenance. Being an idiot and way too focused on her food she got caught by said stranger. Only to have him NOT get angry when he should have been. Only to have him OFFER her tasties to take home with her. And NOW.. NOW of all things he was willing to take her out!

Just who was this guy? A saint? An angel? Did God really exist afterall!?

"I'd like the company."

*blink blink*

All life altering decisions and theories aside. He was REALLY asking her to go out to lunch with him. Berlin's eyes were wide, it was probably a good thing that he couldn't see her right now. For she was frozen in time, sitting there staring strangely at the boy trying so hard to be nice to her when she didn't deserve anything of the sort. There was that smile again, the one that made Berlin blush.. turning to look away she only saw his extended hand out of the corner of her view. Gently she reached out with a trembling had and put her soft but dirty hand in his own.

"By the way, I'm Connor."

"Hi."

Berlin was suddenly feeling much shyer than she ever had before. Normally she could be outgoing or just about anything but he was being so nice! It was throwing her completely off guard. maybe there were still good people in the world. Once the hand was shaken she pulled it out of his warm grasp and gently let it fall to her side feeling the flesh growing cold by the moment.

"You pick. Eat in, or out?"

WOW!! She even got to pick.

"Out! Can we have cheese burgers?! And french fries?! Ooo oo you think they have shakes too?"

Berlin hopped off the counter tossing the bowl in the sink she filled it with water. She would come back and wash it when they were done and when they came back and picked up her extra tasties to take home with her. Even if she had to eat them cold they would be better than nothing and tastier than things she had eaten in the past.

"Ready!? I'm ready! Lets go!"

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 9:22:38 GMT -6 »

She was excitable, and in a way endearing. He felt like he had just offered her the world the way she jumped at the chance to eat. Didn't her parent's feed her? Didn't she have a meal plan with the school? Well, obviously not. Otherwise, neither one of them would be in this situation, would they?

It is amazing what one can perceive from a short time. Even a single, momentary touch. Her hand felt hard. Not calloused, but definitely showed she was not used to an easy life. It was dirty, but there was still a shyness to it. She was not used to kindness. Well, he hoped to change that. Besides, he was alone here, too. He would be happy to have a friend.

She rambled on about what the restaurant would have. Well, the burger thing they shared in common. Connor loved a good burger, and at the mention of that, his own stomach answered. He blushed and smiled. "Well, you certainly got me hungry now. Cheeseburgers it is." And fires, and shakes and... well, whatever else she wants really. He smiled, inwardly as well as on the outside. She's cute now that she's opened up a bit.

Few knew Connor here. Even if they did, none would know of his finances. When he lost his parents, his mother's death more violent, he had gotten an inheritance. In short, it was an extremely large amount of money. He hated it, as it was a reminder of the loss, and only spent it on that which was necessary. Spending it on someone else, either donating it or just to make someone else happy, then he felt he was putting it to good use.

He walked on with her, and was hoping she would have given her name to him by now. But, he supposed he would have to ask. "So, what's your name? I would like to call you something other than hungry." She was beside him, and very excited for this little trip. Before long, they were in the city, and Connor could feel the stares of people.

He was familiar with them. The ones that wished to keep away from that which they didn't understand. However, it wasn't just targeted at him. He could feel that the pair was getting the looks. And Connor didn't like it. Not at all. It wasn't fair. So, he took her hand in his, as if it was a casual thing. Right now, it was to give mutual strength. To reassure her that she had a friend here. Not only that, but for himself as well.

It took a great deal of courage to do so, and if she looked over, she would see the blush in his cheeks. He whispered, enough for her to hear. "So... you get the stares of people, too. That makes two things we share in common." His tone with her was very gentle. "They're hard to ignore sometimes." One might wonder how Connor might know that people were looking. Call it a sixth sense if you'd like. He could just feel it.

But, soon enough they were at the burger shop. This was no fast food place, either. This was closer to an Applebees or a Fridays. Now, he didn't know if she would really be trying to order all the stuff she had started to rattle off in his dorm. He was hoping she wouldn't be hit with a sudden shyness. That he would negate. They were seated, the waitress looking at the pair, and wondering if she was even getting a tip. Connor would be surprising her as well.

Once they had menus, Connor smiled at her. He didn't even know he might be charming her. "You better not be shy about ordering now that we're here." He tapped her menu. "Order anything you want, and however much you want." He tilted his head a bit to one side. "Just do me one favor."

Yeah, this might have sounded like he would be copping out at this point. Not quite. Very far from. "Just read the burger selection to me. It's not like I can see it."

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2009 9:24:30 GMT -6 by berlin » Back to Top  
berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 18:44:05 GMT -6 »

"Well, you certainly got me hungry now. Cheeseburgers it is."

JACKPOT!!

Burgers it was!

"Yay!"

Oh she couldn't wait til she had about half a pound piece of Kobe beef and two seaseme seed buns covered in cheese, mustard, and ketsup between her lips. Oh she knew this was bound to get greasy and messy but that was the best part. Now she wondered if they came with chili cheese fries. Because nothing.. NOTHING I tell you could be as awesome as Chili cheese fries with a giant burger and oh yes.. you guess it ROOT BEER for the drink!

She had to eat for the whole week afterall. Even if she came back and got the spagettios and what not, along with paying him in the only way she knew how.. she knew that she wouldn't want to eat them consecutively. She would save them for when she had to eat. About once a week.

They headed out!

Into the mean streets of San Diego.

She had lived here her whole life and knew these streets better than most. You want a cheap rock that's of decent quality. She knew where to get it. You wanted to mug some people that were totally clueless. She knew where that was. She had these streets down pat they were her home and had been since she was nine years old.

The sounds were the ones that comforted her. Even now she slept at the bed nearest the window with it cracked so that she could hear the distant sounds of city life. The horns, screams, car crashes, and general bustle of night time in the city. It wasn't cold, and it was somewhat hot and yet.. Berlin was wearing a sweatshirt.. well she didn't have anything else!

So tough!

"So, what's your name? I would like to call you something other than hungry."

Oh right! Name!

"Well Hungry works, as I AM hungry." Berlin couldn't help but chuckle and shrug her too thin shoulders. "Buuut if that's not workin' for you, my name is actually Berlin. So.. yeah either or, not too picky. I've been called much worse than Hungry."

Another shrug.

The stares. Oh bring it ON People!!!! >:(

Berlin was all too used to the stares they didn't bother her. They had when she was younger but when you got them day in and day out every day of your life you just stopped caring at some point. Afterall, there was no reason to worry about it, it made no difference what the other people thought. So long as you knew that you were doing the best that you possibly could.

What DID surprise her, which was hard mind you, was when Connor took her hand. HUH?! Looking down.. oh.. sure enough.. there it was.. his large clean soft hand and her hard small dirty one. Now she felt even more dirty and they were about to eat! She didn't mind germifying her own tasties but she didn't want to germify his! That was just WRONG!

"So... you get the stares of people, too. That makes two things we share in common. They're hard to ignore sometimes."

Wait a tic.. wasn't he blind?

Well well well so the boy had some kind of wicked senses. NIFTY! Maybe he was like wolverine and he was made of metal! Or like maybe he could morph into different things, or walk through walls! Damn she was with an X-men! Maybe she could be a groupie!

"Yeah but, I don't really care. I've gotten them for a long time and learned real quick that it's pretty pointless to care what they think. Afterall, they don't know you, where you come from, or how you got there. They're just judging because you're blind and I'm dirty."

*shrug!!*

They entered the place. It was much nicer than she had pictured. Somehow she had pictured a Wendy's or Mickey D's. But he had brought her to a real live restaurant. One with the little lights over each table, and the salt and pepper shakers, and the sugar.. and the coasters.. and everything! Even a hostess! Wooooow. This was most interesting. She followed him as they were seated and she plopped down in the booth across fromhim pulling her dirty legs up into the seat crossing them in front of her.

Ahhhh comfy.

Problem was, while she talked big she didn't want to take advantage of her friend here.. if that was what he was destined to be. So maybe she would just get an appetizer that way she wouldn't have to worry about breaking his bank.

"You better not be shy about ordering now that we're here Order anything you want, and however much you want."

Anything she wanted?! Oh .. well then!

"Just do me one favor."

Ru roh Shaggy... I feel a consilation coming on!

"Just read the burger selection to me. It's not like I can see it."

Re.. read? Ohhhhh shiiiiiiit.

"UHhhh sure."

She opened the menu and scrolled past all the crap that she wasn't going to eat. Especially the salads afterall she was a starving girl and salad somehow just wasn't oging to cut it. Gently, she began to find the buger section. Putting the menu down on the counter she leaned over it and squinted her eyes in concentration. This was where he was going to realize that she wasn't exactly prepared for a school like she was now attending.

"Ba.. bac.. on.. ch.. cheeese.. bur.. bur.. burger.. bacon.. cheese burger! Oh! Bacon Cheese burger."

Next item.

"Ko.. kob... koby... ha.. ha.. half .. p.. p.. poun.. pound.. bur... burg.. er. with.. che.. che.. chedd.. ddar.. chee..ese"

Supposed to be Kobe.. came out Koby.. but hey she was trying! The rest of the burger menu was read must the same as this, but she was trying to help him out as best as she could since he was helping her out as well.

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 19:07:46 GMT -6 »

She left her hand in his, though he could almost feel the shock. Little tension, the body gave off so much. But, he liked the contact. She gave him her name, and even he had chuckled at her response. "Well, I'll go with Berlin. It's unique, and pretty." He smiled. "Besides, you won't be able to go by hungry for long." Now, by that she might think he meant for just going out today. No, he meant it for much longer than that. He hoped that they would become friends, albeit under very strange circumstances. And, should a friendship bloom, he would make sure she wouldn't go hungry. Not ever. If he knew how ad she actually had it, well... his heart wouldn't allow for her to suffer.

On they pressed, right to the seat they were placed in. She complied by reading the menu, though when he asked, he could tell she was nervous. When she began to read it, he knew why. She can't read. But she goes to the school? How is that... It was dawning on him, and though he didn't have all the information, he was beginning to understand. The looks, the need to break in for food, the way she moved in the streets. That was the biggest tip. She knew the streets well, even though she almost let him lead. Now the reading.

She had been, or still was, homeless.

As he listened, he didn't let his face show pity, or anything that superficial. But, he was silently promising to help her. He let her finish, and had already made up his mind what to get. He would let her place her order, and he would place his. Bacon cheeseburger, extra cheese, fries, root beer. Once Berlin ordered, and the waitress was gone, still wondering how these two would pay for a meal, as at least Berlin looked like she had no money, and Connor, well... he was a kid, right?

Connor wanted to make conversation, but really didn't know what to say to her. He didn't want to press, just in case her situation was a touchy subject for her. But, she had broken into his place for food, right? He decided not to press just yet. He would wait for the opportune moment.

"So, aside from breaking into boy's rooms, what do you like to do?" He said it very lighthearted, showing that he really didn't mind that she had done it. Thinking on it, he thought it made for a really interesting way to have met.

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 20:20:01 GMT -6 »

She was TOTALLY ready for it.

Common' blind boy, make fun of me! I dare you!

He certainly wouldn't be the first, afterall she had found that just about anyone would make fun of anyone else that they found themselves a bit stronger then. Someone had once told her that when someone was making fun of another it was because they found something in that person that reminded them of themselves. Berlin didn't see it that way. It sounded great and all, a little pick me up for the person getting picked on. But she just did not see how it was true.

It was hard reading the menu. Especially since she could read some things but her reading was probably something along a first grade level. Sh ehad never really gone to school. The orphanage had dropped them off but the orphans had better things to do. And more fun things to do.

Like spray paint!

Not to mention that none of them had a bright future, they were all never going to be adopted. But her fate had been set when her brother and she had run away from the joint when she was nine. Even if she had been going to school having a nine year old's education wasn't going to get her very far. To say that she was behind in school was an understatement, but she was trying as hard as she possibly could.

The waitress came. And Connor ordered. She looked disapprovingly at the girl in the booth, and Berlin gave the girls a disarming smile and a wink for grins.

"Uhmmm... I want this one."

The waitress's eyes darted to the menu.

"Chili cheese burger basket?"

"Yep that one! With extra cheese on the side, the melty kind, and then can I have a rooty beer with that, cuz that sounds tasty, and bring Red here some melty cheese for his fries too, he needs melty cheese."

Berlin nodded firmly. The waitress shot the girl a look and then took the menus and headed back to the kitchen already gossiping with the other wait staff. They were all watching the teens preparing for a dine and dash.

Looking back at Red.

Hey it was his hair okay!!!!! It was red!!!

She hoped he didn't mind the instant nickname, she tended to do that to people for some reason and thus far no one really seemed to mind all that much so she just continued. Least she hadn't gone with her street name. Bug. Well. That was just not going to get her very far.

"So, aside from breaking into boy's rooms, what do you like to do?"

Hmmm that WAS a good question.

"Well.. lets see. I like to eat! But that's rare. I like walkin' and runnin'. I'm pretty fast actually, I was thinkin' about joining track but the coach says I'm too skinny I need to eat and fill out a bit or something. So.. we'll see about that. I like exploring I guess, because it's free."

Berlin gave a chuckle and a shrug.

"Uhmmmm.. I don't really know, cuz I can't afford much really to be honest. I guess, I haven't really found my niche' in life. But I just started this school so maybe I can find something huh?"

Well that was indeed true. She really hoped that she would be able to find something that she loved here. That she could really wrap her mind around and have a good time with. She missed being able to draw, she would like to learn how to read, and many other things and yet she wasn't sure that anyone would give a freshman in high school with a child's education the time of day to really help cultivate her into something better than what she was.

"What about you? Besides taking crazy theives out to lunch?"

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 20:45:36 GMT -6 »

Connor could hear the way the waitress looked down at both of them from her short talk to the teens. He could also clearly hear the side conversation that was going on after they took the orders. He would deal with that in the end. He already had a plan. But, he focused his attention on his company.

Well, she was admitting she couldn't afford much. As she spoke, it confirmed his suspicion about her. But, what he didn't get was how she ended up here. He had questions, but he would ask later. Back at his dorm maybe, after they ate. She told him of her likes, and her reasons. He smiled, as there was a bit in common between them.

He also liked the pet name she gave him. When the waitress was gone, he flashed her one of those smiles of his. "Red, huh? I like it."

He chuckled at her retort to his question. "Well, to be honest, you and I aren't that different. I enjoy exploring, but only because things on my end are different. I like the small things. When you only have four senses to go with, everything takes on new life. Sounds, aromas, tastes, and the way things feel." Though his eyes were hidden, his face reflected that of one in thought. "I wander at night mostly."

"You see, I lost my sight when I was really little. My eyes never developed right, and by five, I had no sight. I learned to 'see' by other methods. As I got older, I learned to fully accept my condition, and there are times I am thankful for it." He smiled warmly at her. "In the dark, appearances mean nothing. That's why I don't judge. At least, not by sight." He thought for a second. "It makes more sense to judge based on the the person, not their look."

He indicated the servers of the restaurant with a slight motion of his head. "Unlike some people." He shrugged. "Regardless what you may think, or what you've been through, I will tell you, there are kind people still around. They are just harder to find."

He paused. "Soda's are here." The waitress was nowhere in sight. Connor indicated with a slight point. "That way." Sure enough, a tray with two glasses was there. Connor could hear the clink of the ice, and feel the movement. Once the glasses were set, Connor would explain. "It's no trick. I told you, I have other methods to see. Vibrations in the floor, the sound of the ice in the glasses. That, and the servers follow a pattern to get to the tables. Over the past ten minutes, I figured it out."

He took a sip, then continued. "I also picked up on things with you." His voice was gentle, and it showed he was there for her, not against her. "Please don't be offended by anything I might say. And, if I am wrong, feel free to tell me." He took a breath. And, he kept his voice down. It was no one elses business."

"I am guessing you are homeless. Or, at least you were. If you go to the school, then you may have a dorm. You aren't used to people being nice, and you were surprised when I took your hand before. You tensed up for a moment when I took it." He took a pause, then continued. "You only stole food because you had too, or at least thought you had to. That, and the way you navigated the streets before... once we were in the city, your body knew where to go. It was a slight change in your stride as we walked. The last thing was reading the menu."

He took a breath. "You thought I'd make fun of you, didn't you?" He smiled. "Think about this... you read it better than I could." He waved his hand in front of his face. He had spoken slowly, though not insulting. "It doesn't change anything, by the way. Rich, poor... you are a person. And, if you want it, you have a friend."

He waved his hand to indicate the place where they sat. "I didn't take you out because of pity. That is superficial. I wanted company, and I had a feeling you were a good person, regardless how we met." He could smell the food coming. "So far, you haven't proved me wrong." He pointed once more.

"Lunch is served." In a few seconds, the food was placed before them, and the waitress, without a word, walked off. Well, not before giving another disapproving glance.

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 21:38:21 GMT -6 »

"Well, to be honest, you and I aren't that different. I enjoy exploring, but only because things on my end are different. I like the small things. When you only have four senses to go with, everything takes on new life. Sounds, aromas, tastes, and the way things feel. I wander at night mostly."

They weren't different?

Well firstly she could name a few things. He was male, she was female. He had red hair, she had blonde hair. He was blind, she could see. He could probably read. She could not. There were many things that she could think of but Berlin stayed silent and let the boy continue on. What surprised her most was that he liked to wander around as well.

He wandered too! Exploration Extrodinaires!

"Then we could! I mean.. if you wanted to.. we could I dunno.. like.. wander.. around together.. or something.. sometime. I mean.. not that you need guide or anything.. just uhhh yeah... shutting up now!"

Wow.... could she BE any lamer?

Probably so it was best not to test that theory at the moment.

He told her about his eye sight. That his eyes had never developed fully and because of that by the time he was five years old he had found himself blind to the world around him. She wondered curious if everything was dark. PITCH BLACK! Or if it was just so completely blurry that no ammount of spectacle correction could fix it. Still though, it wasn't really her place to ask at the moment maybe if they got more comfortable with one another.

"Soda's are here."

Huh?! Where!

Berlin looked up but the waitress wasn't anywhere to be found at all. So what did he mean the sodas were here. She turned around craning her neck behind her and looked around with her fantastic blue eyes and still didn't see anything around them.

"That way."

He pointed. Berlin's eyes narrowed on the spot and watched it like a hawk. It seemed like forever nothing happened. She was sitting there thinking that either the guy had some kind of strange hearing issue.. which would be bad. Or maybe he was just toying with her. She wasn't exactly the smartest girl in the world but she had a bit of street smarts to her. But sure enough right when she was about to give up on the whole thing the waitress came around the corner and dropped off the drinks before taking off again.

Berlin rolled her eyes.

Stupid bitch was about three icecubes from her tires being slashed.

"That's pretty nifty you know." she mentioned. "That whole.. scary knowing five minutes before it happens thing."

He explained to her that he was using his other senses to figure everything out. He was telling her how he had figured out the pattern of the way that the waitresses moved every ten minutes. The clink of ice in the glasses, the fizz of the soda, and the steps of the girl that was their waitress.

"Neat! That's the coolest thing ever! I'm gonna have to train up my other senses... that's a great idea!"

"I also picked up on things with you. Please don't be offended by anything I might say. And, if I am wrong, feel free to tell me."

Uh oh!

Warning Will Robinson Warning!

Great! Now she was going to have to probably either answer questions or be super embarassed by whatever he was about to bring up. Still though, she was glad that it was coming out now. Since she wouldn't want it to come out later and be a big thing when he found out she was actually unable to pay for her lunch or something.

"I am guessing you are homeless. Or, at least you were.

*ding ding ding*

Not that it was difficult to figure out. Berlin put her elbow on the table and put her jawline softly in the palm of her hand listening to him as he went on further. He was far more perceptive than she gave him credit for apparently.

If you go to the school, then you may have a dorm.

Yep, she had a dorm. It only had the furniture that it came with, no personal items and two uniforms in the closet. There was a trash bag that was in the bottom of the closet with her casual clothes in it. Two blankets on the bed from her once BoxHome that she had lived in. That was it.

You aren't used to people being nice, and you were surprised when I took your hand before. You tensed up for a moment when I took it

This was kind of getting creepy. But how could she get used to kindness when so obviously there would be few people in the world much less a city that would actually show kindness to a girl like her. Because she was filthy, poor, and she had nothing to offer anyone.

"You only stole food because you had too, or at least thought you had to. That, and the way you navigated the streets before... once we were in the city, your body knew where to go. It was a slight change in your stride as we walked. The last thing was reading the menu."

Through all this and after Berlin stayed quiet watching him. Her fingers tapping near silently on the table. Her face was not one of happiness. She didn't like all her stuff drug up here in a restaurant. For even as he spoke the people that had been only slightly staring before were REALLY staring now. Gee thanks RED. She hated being made a specticle and that was exactly what she felt was happening now.

"You thought I'd make fun of you, didn't you? Think about this... you read it better than I could."

Berlin bit her lower lip gently and she sighed.

"I guess so.. but .. but it's embarassing not to be able to read a simple menu when I'm supposed to be in high school. You know.. it's not easy."

he went on and Berlin was quiet as he told her that she had a kind heart. It was that reason that he was taking her out. It was not out of pity and it was not because he was hoping to get something out of it. He wanted to be with her, enjoy the company, and that she had a nice heart, this was why he had taken her out. She had so far not proved him wrong as he mentioned this Berlin blushed. The food was dropped off moments later and the scent alone made her mouthwater. She figured it was time to answer a bit about herself then.

"You're right. About all of it. I was homeless until a couple days ago. My brother and I were dropped off at the orphanage when he was three and I was just born. We grew up for a while there, but we didn't want to stay. It was horrible there and we figured that we could make it on our own. We didn't really do any worse than the orphanage had given us."

Berlin looked at her food. GOD it looked good.

"But he left. I haven't seen him in three years I don't know where he went. For a while I stayed in the place where we lived... which isn't a house if you're thinking so, it wasn't anything but a box in a car garage. It was just a place but it was home to us. But I figured that it was time to start my own life. So I enrolled in the school. Though it most certainly won't be easy as you can so easily tell.. I have to try. At least .. once."

Berlin looked at the tasties covering her tray. She had given him a brief rundown of her life it was enough for now. There was no reason to go too far into it just now they had only just met.

"Tasties! Lets dig in Red we got tasties to eat!" she beamed as she grabbed up her burger and took a huge messy bite out of it with a long.. loud.. and innocently sexy moan.

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 23, 2009 22:20:00 GMT -6 »

As quiet as he had tried to be, people still heard. He hated eavesdroppers. It was really no ones business. But, there was little he could do about that. She told him what had happened to her, and yet there was little emotion about it. it was like she had re-told him a story about someone else, though it was about her.

He did feel bad that she had to go through all of this. It wasn't fair. no one should. What parents would leave their child? There were few good reasons for doing so. But, Berlin had grown to still be a kind girl, though life had not been kind to her. Connor admired her.

She got that childish excitement at the food, which she called tasties, and dug in. Her reaction had gained a few more stares, as it sounded like she was having intimate relations with the food as opposed to eating it. Though, she didn't wolf it down. She did savored it this time.

Connor took a few bites and felt for his soda, careful not to knock it over. He thought for a second, and smiled at her again. "You went through all that, and you turned out to be a great person. I admire you for that." He wiped his mouth off. "If it wasn't for my mentor, I would be a different person now." He took a few gulps of his soda.

"I got picked on a lot. When you are handicapped, people either pity you, or make fun of you. Very few befriend you. I had blamed everyone for my condition, and was angry all the time. I ended up meeting my mentor by chance, and he taught me a great deal. He found the real me, under all the hate." He grinned. "And, as I said before. Being angry does little good."

The food was great, and Connor smiled, secretly to himself, every time Berlin made a noise of enjoyment. She was adorable, and he found that she had quickly found a special place with him. It doesn't always take long for someone to care for another. Though they had just met, Connor found that he definitely enjoyed her innocence and her behavior.

Even savoring the food, it didn't last long. Connor would listen to every word she spoke, and he thought about her offer from before. "Oh, as far as wandering together goes, I would love that. It would be fun I think." I like having you around.

The check came, and the waitress was surprised at Connor having not taken off with Berlin. Before she got the chance to walk away, Connor stopped her. "Hold on. I'll settle this now. How much is it?" The waitress looked at the tab. With tip, it would come to close to forty dollars.

Connor opened his wallet, and removed for twenties, handing them to the now very shocked waitress. Connor took of his shades, and his pale orbs met the waitresses eyes. Berlin would get to see what Connor looked like beneath the cover.

It was like he held the waitress in a trance. She obviously was unnerved by his eyes, but couldn't look away. Connor spoke, his voice not as gentle as it had been with Berlin. He also spoke loud enough for people to hear, namely the manager who had been 'warned' of the teens who might try to make a break for it.

"I do not expect any change, but know that this is a tip far more than you deserve. You were rude, short, and spoke down to my friend an I." He was standing up for her mostly. He knew the reaction had been because of how she looked. Connor didn't stand for it.

The waitress looked very embarrassed. She was about to say she was sorry, but Connor gave her no chance. "Any apology would do little good. You are only sorry because you were wrong. You aren't sorry for your actions." He was harsh, but his voice was not angry. It was kind of an odd mix. "The next time you go to make a judgment call about someone, remember this tip."

With that he turned his gaze to Berlin. His eyes were soft, and so was his expression. It was that of a friend, or one who cares about someone else. His voice also took on it's happy, soft tone with her. "If you still have room, there's an ice cream truck at the park." He offered her his hand, and taking it, they left, the staff and patrons stunned.

He grinned at her as they headed to the park. "You don't need me to stand up for you. I know that. If you were strong enough to survive out here, then you are very much able to handle yourself." He shrugged. and smiled. "I won't let anyone down talk you."

he thought for a few moments as they walked. This is kind of like a date, right? I've never actually been on one before, but from what I've heard, this is close. The thought made him blush, and he only hoped that Berlin didn't notice, or ask what he was thinking. It was embarrassing for him.

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 25, 2009 20:56:00 GMT -6 »

Tasty Tasty Taaaaaasssstyyyyyy

This song played in the mind of one Berlin Hunt as she sat across from the blind boy shoving as much food in her mouth as possible. She wasn't in the mood to devour it but savor it because she doubted it would be any time soon she could have another burger and fries. Unless she got some more money together and right now that wasn't easy. Hopefully, when she started classes she could pick a few pockets, a few book bags, and girls purses in the bathrooms without them knowing to help suppliment her sustenance.

She had to admit to think that he had been picked on was not a far cry. He was blind and people tended to pick on those around them that were different. Which was stupid, because no one was the same as everyone else. If you were.. then you were living a lie. A LIE I TELL YOU!! Because everyone was different in some way. Some might have similarities but for the most part. Everyone was different in some way.

Tasty tasty taste taste taste! Chili chili chili paste paste paste!

MMMMM MM!

"Oh, as far as wandering together goes, I would love that. It would be fun I think."

Yay!

"It's a date!"

It was a great idea!!! Just hanging out with one another. Going on a great walk. Having the time of their lives just wandering around the city. She was certainly sure that she would be able to show him places and things that he had never seen or expected to see. It was hard for her not to have anyone to share her life with and yet at the same time she was so used to being alone now that she felt as though she could continue on this way.

But. She didn't want to!

The waitress showed up again.

OH great, the great bitch of the burger joint!

Maybe a house would fall on her and her sparkly red shoes would fall off! I'LL GET YOU MY PRETTY BECAUSE YOU'RE A LITTLE DOG TOO! Berlin chuckled at her own little thoughts in her mind. Sometimes she could be rather immature but other times she could be more mature than most around her. It just depended on the situation. But when the only entertainment you had was yourself and your thoughts they had to remain somewhat childlike. Of course with her immending glare of doom, she lay the check on the table.

"Hold on. I'll settle this now. How much is it?"

Wow! It really cost to eat! Something that she knew but to eat at a place like this was much more expensive than she thought it was going to be. She really expected it to be like twenty bucks or something. They had only eaten two burgers. It would take her forever to pay for something like that. Good thing he was the one that was footing the bill.

And then it happened. The shades moved.

HOLY SHIT O.O!!!! Where can I get eyes like that!?

It was like in that movie 'Pitch Black' where Riddick had the 'shine job' done on his eyes while he was in the prison. Now.. to be frank.. Berlin would NEVER let another convict screw with her eyes. She liked them being normal she supposed. But the cool pale green that Red had in front of her was just awesome. She knew that he probably had no idea what they looked like, but they were the prettiest eyes she had ever seen.

Probably cuz.. they were rare. And unique. Nothin' wrong with that.

"Any apology would do little good. You are only sorry because you were wrong. You aren't sorry for your actions. The next time you go to make a judgment call about someone, remember this tip."

Note too self.

Blind people can be scarrrrey! When they are angry. He had this whole angry glare, calm pissiness about him. It was EPIC.

The waitress looked at Berlin and Berlin could only grin. It was so true, what he said, and Berly knew that when the girl did get another tip or was starting to judge other people that she would most certainly be haunted by his words. Which was always the most interesting thing in the world. It was something that she had never expected from him. Because he wasn't angry when she broke into his place. Only when the Bitch here decided to fulfill her name.

He turned to her.

OH yes... the eyes were definatly hot. He was much more attractive than with the sunglasses on, they just hid so much of his face.

"If you still have room, there's an ice cream truck at the park."

WE ALLLLLL SCREAM FOR ICECREAAAAAM

"Icecream?! Yay! Lets go! I would buy if I could.. but maybe one day I can okay!"

Berlin took his hand. It was warm and soft again and she got up. Tossing her napkin in the basket that her food had ome in moments ago. They turned and headed out of the restuarant. Berlin was beside him humming softly to herself. But loud enough that he could hear her random melody. She had a nice voice in the melody even though there were no words to it the pattern repeated itself frequently so if he wanted to, he could certainly chime in. She wouldn't mind, but Berlin was not thekind of girl that was all that quiet, she tended to be much more spastic and excited about the life and world around her. Though she had her moments.

*YOINK!!*

His sunglasses were stolen from his free hand the moment that they were at the door and he tried to put them back on. She put them on, and then pushed them up into her hair. Making her hair rain down in a cascade of her curly blonde locks around her. She smiled warmly, at him, though of course it would be lost on him, she couldn't help but someetimes forget that he couldn't see her.

"Mine now!" she grinned happily. "Well temporarily."

Their hands still entertwined together they entered the streets once more. It was a bit warmer than it had been before and Berlin would have removed her sweatshirt had she thought it would get her anywhere. But it was just too hot and she didn't have anything on under her sweatshirt. So she would just have to live with what she had for the time being. It was just the way it was. And Berlin had survived a long time just like this.

"You don't need me to stand up for you. I know that. If you were strong enough to survive out here, then you are very much able to handle yourself. I won't let anyone down talk you."

She chuckled.

"You're right, I can take care of myself. I've never had anyone to do it for me, so I do it myself. It's either that or get pushed around, which.. well I'm not really into. But mostly, I've learned to let a lot of stuff just roll off my shoulders. Because, some things aren't worth getting upset over."

They walked for a while. Berlin was humming again. The sun shone down on them from above illuminating his red hair. He was a very good looking boy, not that she was interested because surely he wouldn't be interested in her. No one was. Not that she had low self esteem that it was actually a proven fact. Guys saw her, they wanted one thing. Something she was sure that he would want later, as payment for all of this.

"So.. this mentory.. person.. thing. What is he like? How did you guys meet?"

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 26, 2009 9:30:00 GMT -6 »

"It's a date!"

Those words of hers rung in his head as he walked with her out of the burger joint. He had never been on a date before. Wait, wasn't he just thinking not that long ago that this was similar to a date? Did she want to spend more time with him? Well, that was good. Though he had confidence about him, he didn't believe he had any sway with girls. He just... well, he wasn't popular, smooth, suave, etc. He was just Connor

She got excited about the ice cream, and that made Connor smile. She took his hand again, which he also liked because he really enjoyed contact with her. Though there wasn't any feeling behind it, he still like the feel of her hand in his. Just as they were leaving he went to put his shades on. Return them to the spot they were so he could cover that flaw that only seemed to work to give him a momentary advantage.

Just as he was about to place them on his face, they vanished! Right from his hand! They were gone! Well, not quite. He had felt Berlin move, though it was quick. He didn't know what she was doing, and he wasn't on guard against her. Thus, she snatched his shades right from his hand, Claiming them as her newest possession.

Why did she do that? Didn't she see my eyes? Why wouldn't she let me cover them again? My eyes... make everyone uncomfortable. He had uncovered them for that purpose a moment ago. Now, he wished to return to normal so to speak, but Berlin prevented that. He had no idea she liked him better without his shades. Had she spoke her thoughts, he would have blushed hard. Not knowing what he looked like, he wouldn't exactly consider himself hot. Unlike Berlin, Connor had self esteem issues. He just tried to keep them to himself, and hidden.

He made no effort to snatch his shades back. Though he did try to keep his eyes from making contact with anyone. Even when they got to the truck in the park, just as she asked about Suichi. Before he would answer, he asked her for her favorite ice cream flavor. It turned out to be mint chocolate chip, which at the moment, though not his favorite (cookie dough), sounded really good. He ordered two, paid the man, and they walked on, heading back to the dorms, but in no real hurry.

"My mentor." He thought a moment. "He is a great man with a lot of wisdom. His name is Suichi. He is originally form Japan, but has lived in America for many years now. I met him when I was in elementary school." He took a bite of his ice cream. "There was an assembly, and it was about bullying. He is a martial arts master, and so he came to do a demonstration, and speak to us about how it was not ab out fighting, but about self discipline and control. That one shouldn't push others around because you can. The same speech adults try to cram down the throats of young people. You can tell how well that works."

He sighed, eating more of his ice cream. "Anyway, I was the last to leave. It was easier to move once the place was empty. He stood by, watching me. He approached me, we talked for a few, and he took me on as his student." He didn't know if Berlin would believe it, but Connor could fight extremely well. He was well trained, and could handle himself well enough. "He taught me everything I know now. Before him, I was angry. I hated everyone. But, I told you all that. He found some good in me, and brought it out. Without him, I would still be very lost."

He faced her, his eyes meeting hers. This time, as before, they were gentle. "If it was the old me that found you, you wouldn't have needed up with a meal. I would have been cruel. I would have assumed it was just another person taking advantage of my condition." He smiled. "I've learned to think and follow my heart now. So far, it has served me well enough. Besides, I got a friend out of it today. Much better than if I had lost my temper." As he smiled, his eyes seemed to smile, too. His expression was one of caring, and one that showed he enjoyed her company. The sad part was he knew it would end.

He wanted to take her hand again. It seemed like it would have been the right time to do so. But, they were not dating. He also held a great deal of doubt that he would see her after today. She was street wise, and he figured she would take this gesture, and just leave it at that. After all, she had been fed. Maybe she was being nice to him because he treated her? Yeah, nothing in his mind registered that she was kind to him because he was kind to her. Even his thoughts that she was his friend he felt might be too hopeful. But, he kept these thoughts very secret.

It wasn't long before they were at his dorm again. He invited her in, this way so she could get the food she left here that he had promised her she could have. He even included a bowl and spoon. At this point, he knew she wasn't that well off. They were on the same page now, and she would know that it wasn't an insult, but he was simply helping her.

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 26, 2009 11:01:51 GMT -6 »

Icecream tasties!

Her mouth was salviating again as the mere scent of the icecream truck seemed to get to her nose. While she did not have the senses like he did she certainly had one for food. Icecream had a scent though it was not as strong as many other scents. It was milky, and it even smelled cold.. which she believed you could actually smell. And it smelled of cones as well.

Her stomach didn't grumble this time. She wasn't hungry really afterall she had only just ate her dinner. That burger and fries would probably keep her full for a couple days and she knew that it was more food than she normally got in a couple weeks much less in a day.

Now she had eaten spaghettios and burger and fries, then she was about to top it off with icecream. Her stomach had never been so full in her life.

Two heaping cones of MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP later..

..come on you're all in denial that it's the best icecream ever...

...they were walking through the park. Their hands were no longer linked. But it really wasn't something that she was worried about. She wasn't attatched to him or anything. While she did like him she doubted he would date a homeless girl.. or formerly homeless girl. He didn't need that kind of baggage and her certainly didn't want to be saddled with her kind of issues and the like.

He didn't want a project.

He probably wanted a girl.

"So how come you hide your eyes. I mean.. they're pretty. I'd kill for eyes like that. I just got.. normal ones... "

Bummer huh?

Normal eyes. Healthy too.

So... he met his mentor at school.

Berlin listened as he told her about how the man had come in and gone to do a demonstration when he was at school. How the boy that couldn't see had stayed late so that he wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting in his way. That the man had watched the boy and then had gone to him, taking him in, and teaching him to release the anger and find the good in the world again.

"Wow. I wish I had someone like that." Berlin whispered.

Her icecream was mostly gone now. She wasn't hungry for it anymore, but she knew that she would kick herself in the butt later if she didn't finish it. No one had ever taken her in like that, or even tried to take care of her. Tried to give her a life that would lead to more happiness instead of sadness.

She was quiet, thinking over his luck. She wasn't jealous, just thinking over how her life would most likely be so different if that had happened. But there was no reason to dwell on it now. She finished her cone before they got back to his dorm, and she stepped in again. He told her she could have the bowl and the three cans that he didn't want. She stacked them up in the living room ready to take them back to her own place with her.

"So.. you want this.. payment thing in the bedroom or right here? Cuz I don't really care where, so .. you just pick so we can finish this.. transaction."

It wasn't that she didn't want him as a friend. It's just that she was used to getting something and having to pay for it too. Knowing full well nothing came free, and nothing would ever come free, not to a girl like Berlin. She already peeled off her sweatshirt leaving her clothed in only her jeans. Not that he could see. His sunglasses were carefully placed on a table close to the couch. She waited. For him to decide where he wanted this.

"I have to pay you for the meal."

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009 11:11:08 GMT -6 by berlin » Back to Top  
connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 26, 2009 11:27:58 GMT -6 »

She thought his eyes were pretty? She actually wanted hers to be like his? He blushed at the compliment. "Well, you're the first person who has that opinion. Most everyone else is uncomfortable around me, not just because I can't see, but apparently my eyes are creepy. I didn't always hide them. But, the words of others can stick with you. So, to keep other people from feeling weird around me, I cover them."

He smiled at her. "But, if you like them, I won't hide them from you."

They got back to his place. He could hear her put the shades down. And she stacked up her supply of food and the bowl plus spoon. It was all set for her to go when she decided to take her leave. He could also hear more sounds, ones that he only heard when he himself undressed. He heard the soft thud of something hitting the floor. Was she... stripping? He had yet to turn around, though without sight it really didn't make a difference. He couldn't see her anyway.

He turned around as she spoke. It didn't take a genius or someone with his perception to figure out what she had meant. She actually believed she had to pay him for his kindness. Not only that, but the only payment she could offer was her body.

This would be a chance most guys would take a girl up on. I mean, honestly, how many guys would turn down a like this? Many times, it was the very reason to take a girl out in the first place, wasn't it? However, not only was Connor was a virgin, but he had no intentions of using anything to 'get with her.'

He walked over to her, his eyes not leaving hers. However, he didn't touch her. He gave a small tap, and picked up the bundle that was her sweatshirt. He reached out, gently taking her hands, and placing the shirt back in hers. He stood there, not letting her hands go just yet.

He didn't want her to think he was rejecting her. He just couldn't accept this 'payment.' He was close, his voice still caring and gentle. "After everything we talked about, do you really think I'd be expecting payment for anything?" He gave her hands a squeeze.

He took a step back, taking her hand he lead her to the eating area. There were two chairs and a table. He pulled one out for her, motioned for her to sit. He took the other, and brought it close. "You really believe that you have to pay back someone. That there is nothing for free, right?" It was obvious. He couldn't read minds, but from her actions, it was very apparent. "For the most part, that's true. But, it's not necessary. Not with me, and not for this."

His gaze was with hers. "I didn't take you out for that. If you really want to pay me back," he smiled before continuing. "Then promise me that we'll get to spend more time together after today." He still had her hand in his.

"I liked spending the day with you. I'd like to do it again. This isn't a transaction." He blushed hard. "What you were offering... there should be caring and meaning behind it. Your a person, not a thing." He stood then, and pulled her up gently with him. He headed to his room, and returned later with two t-shirts. They were plain white, but clean and fairly new. He handed those to her as well. One for now, one for later.

"They may be a bit big for you, but you won't sweat to death outside."

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 26, 2009 20:20:33 GMT -6 »

So here she was. Standing here. In his dorm room naked from the waist up and it wasn't as though her jeans were hanging on her hips by much. It was by sheer willpower that they seemed to stay up. They were a bit too big, about three sizes too big which was of course was normal since it was whatever she could find, steal, or buy from the salvation army.

Regardless.

She was standing here half naked ready for him to tell her just what it was he wanted her to do. She wasn't going to let him go unpaid. It was just the way that it was, because she certainly knew that 99 % of men would have taken the chance.

Crossing the room, she followed him with her eyes. Seemed like he wanted it here. Worked for her. She'd done it in worse places.

Wait.. was he.. OMG he was picking up her sweatshirt.

He did!

Softly he bundled it up and handed it back to her. Taking her hands which came out to clasp her sweatshirt back. It was strange the look on his face right now. She couldn't understand nor could she read it. She was just a girl. And this was all she had to offer. Whether he believed it or not. She couldn't change the fact, that this was all there was to it.

"After everything we talked about, do you really think I'd be expecting payment for anything?"

Ummmmm yeah!

Just because he had a heart didn't mean he didn't have a tool.

"My.. maybe?"

He led her out of the living room and down to the kitchen area where he had a table and two chairs waiting for them. Pulling back the one chair he motioned for her to take it. Which she did. Sinking down in the chair she pulled her sweatshirt on gently. Confusion took over her features.

This had to be the strangest guy she had ever met!

"You really believe that you have to pay back someone. That there is nothing for free, right?

Well Duh!! Everyone knew that. Least she thought so.

For the most part, that's true. But, it's not necessary. Not with me, and not for this."

Not with him huh?

Why not!? Any other guy would have gone nuts. A girl willing to give him sex just for dinner, for a few cans of spaghettios, for a bowl and a spoon. She would just lay down and give him what most of the other men in the world wanted. But it seemed like she had found the one man that would not.

Not that it was a bad thing! Just shocking is all.

"I didn't take you out for that. If you really want to pay me back, Then promise me that we'll get to spend more time together after today."

That was all he wanted?!?! More time together.

"I can do that." she admitted easily

"I liked spending the day with you. I'd like to do it again. This isn't a transaction.

"We still have to go on our wandering date, so no worries this isn't the last you'll see of me I promise."

"What you were offering... there should be caring and meaning behind it. Your a person, not a thing."

She blushed and bit her lower lip.

"Yeah.. I guess so.. in a perfect world... it probably would be.. but in my world. it's the only bargaining chip I've got."

Berlin was being honest, today was not the first time that she had offered it. She remembered the first time she had to give it up, the first time that she had been helped and had to pay. That was when she realized just what kind of world she had been born into. What kind of world that she lived in now because of her status on the streets. She couldn't change that, and she figured he likely looked down on her now.

But oh well.. it wasn't as though she had ever actually had a friend.

He rose and she was to follow according to the hand pulling her up a bit. She followed him to a place across the dorm to a set of dressers. There he pulled out a couple white tshirts... and he turned handing them to her. She could only blush as she gently took the shirts from him softly.

"Thanks."

Taking the sweatshirt off she tossed it to the ground for a moment and then looked up at him.

"Actually.. you think I can borrow your shower and soap and stuff real quick? I don't want to put on the nice clean shirt you gave me if I am not clean."

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 27, 2009 16:24:49 GMT -6 »

He heard her shirt hit the floor again. She had stripped it off. She wanted to shower before putting on one of the shirts. That was fine. He nodded, and grinned. "Sure. No problem." He indicated the bathroom, and told her where she would find everything. He was happy that she told him that he would get to 'see' her again. He knew if he didn't, that he would be very upset, though he wasn't fully sure why. Something about her put him at ease, and made him smile. He enjoyed being around her.

He didn't look down at her at all. It was the fact she seemed to look down upon herself at points. He wished she didn't. He could understand, but that didn't mean it was alright. Her body wasn't a bargaining chip, and he was silently promising himself he wouldn't let that happen. She deserved better than that. He could tell that much in the short time they had spent together.

She entered the shower, and Connor sat there, awaiting her return to the living area. It had been about ten minutes she was in there when his phone rang. He answered it, finding his mentor on the other line.

"Good afternoon, Connor San."

"Konichiwa, sensei. How are you?"

"I am well. How is the new school."

"Well, there are a few things that disturb me about the way the school is run. But I will tell you about them once I figure more out."

"That is fine, but make sure you are careful. I am hoping things will work out better for you here."

"Well, things are working out very good so far. I met a girl..."

"A girl? Already? Your confidence has improved! What is her name?"

"Berlin, and she's a friend. I... don't think she'd have an interest in me. Not like that."

"Connor san, you need to stop doubting yourself. Tell me about her."

"Sensei, she is wonderful. She is fun. We had lunch together. We talked for a while. And we're supposed to get together again. I hope soon."

"So, you had your first date."

Connor blushed hard. "Um... I guess. Maybe? I don't know. I've never been on a date before. Besides, we just met, and..."

"You took her out. You had a good time. That is what a date is."

Connor was blushing harder. "Sensei, I know you see more in me than I believe is there. But, you are the only one. To everyone, I'm just the blind kid. That's it."

"Connor, you..."

"I'll talk to you soon, sensei. I promise. Take care."

"(Sigh) "Take care, Connor."

He hung the phone up, completely unaware that the water had stopped long ago, and the girl might very well have just heard the entire conversation, or at least his half of it. He was too focused on his own thought. Connor's face burned with the blushing, and a little bit of frustration. He spoke out loud, as he sometimes did when he believed he was alone.

"Sensei, you just don't get it." He closed his eyes, remembering all the people that poked fun at him. Even though he had grown past most of it, he still couldn't fully escape it. "No one has an interest in me that way. A girl wants a boy, or a man. Not a cripple."

Regardless how good he was at getting around, he was still blind. There were still times where he couldn't do something He;d never be able to take someone to the movies. Well, he could, but he would get little out of it. Plus, as loud as they were, it would hurt him more than anything.

He didn't move, his back was to the bathroom. He took a deep breath, the let it out. He instinctively rubbed his eyes, though he had not let any tears out. He had gotten used to the idea of being by himself. He didn't wish to burden anyone. No one wanted or needed that.

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 27, 2009 20:28:10 GMT -6 »

HOT WATER!

Ohhhhh Jesus.. hot water.

It was the most amazing feeling in the world especially to a young girl that had lived most of her life on the streets. She had hot water in her dorm. But the thing was she didn't have soap in her dorm, or shampoo, and OMG was that conditioner. Granted she could probably use the whole bottle and nothing would ever come of it, her hair probably just needed to be shaved off and started over, though she was never going to take her curls off.

The shower wasn't long. Berlin wasn't the kind of girl that took her time in the shower. Mainly for one she wasn't used to it, and she just didn't see what else there was to do in the shower besides bathe and get out.

Steam ahoy!

Getting out the bathroom was billowing in steam. Drying herself off she put a towel through her hair getting most of the wetness out and leaving it merely damp. Her curls already springing back to life under the wet air. She knew that they would be even more springy when they dried completely. Getting her jeans and underwear back on she pulled the new shirt over her form and then she carefully cleaned up after herself.

No need to make a mess!

She headed out of the bathroom, only to hear Connor on the phone. Not wanting to interupt what he was doing she stood there to the side silently and listened to what was going on. She of course hadn't MEANT to listen but it wasn't like she had anywhere else to go and it was rude to interupt him.

"Um... I guess. Maybe? I don't know. I've never been on a date before. Besides, we just met, and..."

A date? Was that what that was?

Berlin had never been on a date in her life, she had no clue if just going out to eat with a member of the opposite sex was the same as going on a date. Or maybe that had to be set up and decided before time. That was at least what she had always heard, read, or seen when she was around media. Still though, she guessed that it could be, if only they decided that was the way it was.

But was it?

Connor was blushing harder.

He was talking to his sensei it seemed. Which was most interesting but what she didn't u nderstand was why he was blushing. Was going on a date with a homeless girl so interesting? She couldn't see why. She had no home, a crappy past, and had no money of her own.

Booooring.

"Sensei, I know you see more in me than I believe is there. But, you are the only one. To everyone, I'm just the blind kid. That's it."

The blind kid?

Was that really what he thought of himself. That he wasn't a guy or a man, he was just a blind kid? Berlin pursed her lips. She did not like that AT ALL. It was not something that she felt. She didn't see him as blind she saw him as Red. As Connor. As the guy that was so nice to her. The guy that had a heart too big, but she didn't really even think about him being blind. Even when they were walking through the streets, she didn't mess with guiding him unless he needed it. She just walked beside him as though he could see.

"I'll talk to you soon, sensei. I promise. Take care."

Wow. If that wasn't avoidance she didn't know what was.

She was about to say something when his head dropped to his hands. He really was too hard on himself. She supposed that some might see that as ironic since she was exactly the same way. But she didn't really figure that it was much the same. He was way better off than her. The sight.. wasn't even a disability in her mind. He got around well and he came with a heart that was larger than anyone's she had ever known.

"No one has an interest in me that way. A girl wants a boy, or a man. Not a cripple."

What?

"I have NO idea where you got that idea in your head but I'm pretty sure .. unless I need to check the undies.. that you're a man."

Berlin made her presence known to his shock and surprise. She could see the surprise in his face as she crossed to the chair that he was sitting in. Instead of sitting beside him she plopped herself down in his lap facing him. She didn't care if it made him blush or not. Her body was still slightly warm from the shower, and he would feel her wet hair if his hands clasped her waist. The curls bouncing softly.

"I"m gonna let you know something here Red. I don't see you as blind. I see you as many things though. Red, Connor, a guy with a big heart, deep pockets, and a kind streak. A guy that's probably Too nice to a girl that is nothing but trash."

She shrugged.

"But just because you can't see... well.. frankly my dear Red, I don't give a damn. What does it matter. Because what you see with is here.."

Berlin placed two fingers softly over his heart.

"And that, is probably a truer sight than up here."

She placed those same fingers on the side of his left eye.

"So how about we rethink this blind thing."

connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 27, 2009 21:25:50 GMT -6 »

Connor froze at her voice. It was strict, and held power. More important than that, he hadn't known she had heard it. Any of it. But, apparently she had at least heard some of it. He turned, the surprise apparent on his face. Before he could respond, she was by him, and in his lap. That brought the blush right back to his face.

He could feel the heat radiating off her body, remnants from the shower. She had a pleasant dampness to her now, and the contact was now much more than simple hand holding as it had been earlier. She then laid into him, but not angrily. No, she was telling him what observations she had made, just as he had done with her earlier.

Though, when he had spoke before about her, it was confirmed that had been correct on most all accounts. What she was saying, he just didn't know... no one had complimented him like that. No one had said things like that to him.

He didn't respond right away. His hands had instinctively went around her waist when she had sat down, and Now he was becoming aware of their position. Honestly, he liked it. Though, he didn't think this was the time to say so. Though, his face probably showed it. Not only that, but given his sensitive condition and lack of ever having a girl on his lap before, there was another indicator which Connor was also blushing in embarrassment from.

"Berlin, I..." he started, then stopped. He took a breath to calm himself down, then spoke. "I'm not bothered that I'm blind. But, in all my experience, it either raises pity from others, or allows others to be cruel. It's like walking around with a sign that says kick me." He 'looked' at her. "Those compliments... thank you. You're... really nice."

He smiled, though the blush had not left his cheeks. "I don't know what you heard before, but it was my sensei on the phone before. He asked me how things were going. I told him I met a girl, and he jumped to conclusions." He sighed. "He asked me what I thought of you. I told him... well, I told him I had a great time, that you were fun, and great. He assumed that what we just had was a date. I never went on one, but I guess it was close."

He felt like he was rambling. "I... wouldn't mind... that. I actually... I was hoping that... when we went walking, you know at night..." He was blushing harder, his face beginning to match his hair. He was so bad at this that it might be amusing.

"Um... I don't know the right way to do this... But... Berlin, I'd really like to go out with you." He followed it up quick. "Even if it's just one more time. I know we just met, and maybe it's too soon. I... you don't have to date me." Why can't I do this? She just complimented me! Maybe she likes me, at least a little? No... reading to much into it.

It was almost as if someone could see his thoughts looking into his eyes. He was conflicted, and just very unsure of himself. Though, he was still enjoying where she was sitting.

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 28, 2009 16:46:37 GMT -6 »

Was that... what she thought it was?

HOLY SHIT!!! O.O

It really was!!!

Woooow. Maybe he DID find her attractive.

Maybe it was the shower!
Wait he's blind!

Well there went that idea.

"Berlin, I..."

Yeah?

"I'm not bothered that I'm blind. But, in all my experience, it either raises pity from others, or allows others to be cruel. It's like walking around with a sign that says kick me."

Cue rolling eyes! *rolls eyes*

"And you think being homeless makes me less of a target? I don't think so. Mine is as obvious as yours, and while mine I guess can be remedied by whatever means.. it still marks me."

"Those compliments... thank you. You're... really nice."

Yeah.. duh.

They were compliments.

Still though Berlin felt her cheeks rise in a blush as she sat there and looked at him. His eyes seemed to meet hers probably because sitting in his lap she was about the same size as him. So it wasn't as though it was hard, just that she hadn't expected that from him so it was something that caught her off guard making her blush more than normal. Granted she could get a blush when she was embarassed or shy, but that tended to rarely happen.

"Well.. they were all true."

"I don't know what you heard before, but it was my sensei on the phone before. He asked me how things were going. I told him I met a girl, and he jumped to conclusions."

Jumped to conclusions?

"What do you mean?"

He asked me what I thought of you. I told him... well, I told him I had a great time, that you were fun, and great. He assumed that what we just had was a date. I never went on one, but I guess it was close."

Oh that.

So thaaaat's where the date subject came from. His sensei had asked if it was a date and the boy hadn't really known what to think or how to reply to that and so he had gotten nervous. The key was to not get flustered and just tell his sensei that it wasn't possible that they were dating. I mean afterall she was homeless. Chocked full of issues and problems. And she would probably be the kind of girl that he would have to take care of at least until she was able to take care of herself which for now was just getting through every day.

"I... wouldn't mind... that. I actually... I was hoping that... when we went walking, you know at night..."

"Yeah?"

That night walking.. he kept bringing it up like it was important to him. She guessed that maybe it was. Not that it wasn't important to her, merely that she felt that... well it was just a day to spend with someone that was nice to her. It wasn't like he was asking her out on a date.

Right?

"Um... I don't know the right way to do this... But... Berlin, I'd really like to go out with you."

Huh?!

"Me?!"

She had NEVER been asked out before. Sure she had hung out with some guys before, but she had never actually been on a real date. That just wasn't something that had ever come up. She was homeless, and she hung out with other poor homeless people it just wasn't something they were really able to afford even if they wanted to.

"Even if it's just one more time. I know we just met, and maybe it's too soon. I... you don't have to date me."

Now.. she was confused.

"Wait.. Im confused. You want to go out with me, but I don't have to date you.... do we want to date.. or not... Well.. how about this Red. We CAN date, IF you want to.. cuz I'm assuming that you do. I think it would be fun and come on.. I can't turn ya down Red.. you're just too cute."

Her finger came up and bopped him on the nose in a cute little way. So... now she was going on a date?

"Just so long as you know that I'll be wearing then what I'm wearing now. Anywho! What about tomorrow night? Could be fun, I hear that it's supposed to be nice weather."

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2009 16:47:16 GMT -6 by berlin » Back to Top  
connor

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 28, 2009 17:08:31 GMT -6 »

She practically squealed the word 'me' like she was shocked that he would ask her. When she asked in shock, he nodded his head. He very much wanted to, though he still thought he'd be more of a burden to her. After all, she had herself to worry about. Trying to just survive. And now she'd have a blind guy to worry about.

But, she told him not to think that way. She didn't view him as such. He was her Red. Well, at least, he wanted to be. She had still not gotten up from his lap, which he was not minding in the least. And, by now it had to be obvious that he was 'happy' with her choice of locations to park herself for the time being.

Yes, he liked her. A lot.

She warned him that she'd be wearing what she had on now, and that didn't bother him in the least. "What you wear isn't important." He waved his hand in front of his eyes a few times, and grinned. His other arm was still around her waist. "I... do want to date you. I guess I just wasn't expecting you to say yes. I..."

Wait... had she called him cute? She couldn't turn him down?

Yes, she had. Which only kept him living up to the nickname she had given him. "Sorry if I was rambling or confusing. I didn't think you'd have an interest in me." He felt silly. He was so observant at some points, and others, naive and oblivious.

He smiled, obviously happy she would go out with him. "Tomorrow night is perfect." He gave her a small squeeze, the best kind of hug he could give from this position. He would be willing to take her out and do anything she wanted. That, and he would do whatever he could to make her smile.

He knew he'd see her again. At least, he did now. He had doubts before, but with this new development, it confirmed that she'd return. But, that didn't exactly mean he wanted her to leave right this second. His lap was going to feel very cold after she got up.

But, it was her answer that had put that charming smile on his face, the one that was there now just for her. "You just made me very happy today, Berlin."

berlin

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Tasties (Connor)
« Jun 28, 2009 18:13:20 GMT -6 »

"Tomorrow night is perfect."

Oh goodie!

It was Berlin's first date! She had an old pair of jeans maybe she would cut them up and make them into some kind of shorts or a skirt or something that would allow her to be cuter than normal.

Wait. He couldn't see.

Why would it matter.

Buuut then again on the other hand to put effort into looking nice would allow him to know that she really did care. That she wanted to make the whole thing special for him, and that she wanted to be sure that she looked nice. Afterall, she would be seen in public with him and while this afternoon he hadn't minded, at the time it had been a one time thing. But now, she was going to see him again. If this was to become a normal occurance it was probably best if she tried a bit harder to look nice for him.

"Sweet, we'll meet up about eightish, that's when the sun is down these days."

"You just made me very happy today, Berlin."

Berlin let out a cute little giggle. And he hugged her. She leaned forward and hugged hm back feeling like it was alright considering that she was clean now. Smelling of his soap and his shampoo. Smelling of him for the time being and she happened to love it very much. Closing her eyes her arms wrapped around his neck and hugged him back as best as she could before she pulled back with a smile on her face.

"Now you can call your sensei back and tell him you DO have a date."

Berlin grinned.

Getting up off his lap she stretched her body out with a long groan as she did so. A huge yawn taking over her face and the sound as well came from her small body. The heavy food and the fact that she was warm, clean, and fed, made her so sleepy. Not to mention the fact that she was safe. Rubbing her tired blue eyes. She looked over at her friend, the one that now she was going on a date with.

"Well I guess I ought to go. Before I fall asleep here."