Author Topic: Side-Effects... [Open] (Read 644 times)
aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 21, 2009 15:12:19 GMT -6 »

A pencil swept over the sheet of paper in front of him slowly, forming a smooth line as he continued to sketch in silence...The class had been uninspiring and otherwise dull so far, and with his expected work done, he was quite content to simply keep quiet for the time being. Besides, he'd had this image in his head for at least a few hours, getting it transferred to paper would be quite satisfying...

He wasn't sure what it was, only that he knew exactly what it looked like, and that his mind wouldn't let up on it. One of the most common side-effects of his medication for Low Latent Inhibition, was that some periods of unnaturally deep focus would break in from time to time.

Until he felt the eraser whip past his head, he hadn't noticed, let alone heard, anyone speaking to him, but glancing his head up he looked at the teacher with a raised eyebrow, waiting for him to say whatever it was he was saying. After a moment, when nothing was said, he sighed.

"Yes?"

"Have you been listening to me, Mr. Kamsing?"

A roll of his eyes. "Sir, if I'd been listening to you, would it have required you to throw an eraser to get my attention?"

Another eraser, this one required a little twist of his head to stop it catching him in the corner of his eye. He shot a scowl at the man before speaking, interrupting whatever rage-filled diatribe would come. "Throw one more of those at me, and we're going to have trouble..."

For a moment or two the tension stood tight in the air as the Thai glared at the man, at least double his age, and practically fucking willed him to have the guts to do as he'd dared. Somehow, it got through and, with a tight smirk on his lips, he flung one more of the erasers at the Thai. Narrowing his eyes at the action, he watched the small piece of rubber skim past his cheek as he rose from his chair, hoisting it with one hand, twisting his body to pull it onto his shoulder.

"I wasn't kidding..."

Within a span of two seconds, he had closed the gap between them and practically flown to the front of the room. With a single swing of the seating, it struck the teacher in the back of the head and knocked him to the floor, a gash opening where the ridge of the dense plastic had split open his scalp. Tossing the seat aside, he dropped onto the man, using his knee to pin his back to the floor of the classroom as he grabbed a handful of hair, drawing back his head and slamming it into the carpet-tiled floor with successive fists from his other hand.

Oh, the other common side-effect from his medication? Infrequent but serious flashes of aggression...

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

I'm The Bomb. No, literally, I blow stuff up. With my mind and junk.

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 21, 2009 15:50:55 GMT -6 »

Roth waltzed into the class room just as the bell had rung. Technically he wasn't late so he didn't have to put up with any teacher-like bullshit. Roth took the last seat available, front row center. Roth didn't like sitting in the back, he loved attention, just not when that attention required him to think. Think wasn't at all his strong point.

Roth leaned back in his rough cold hard cheap-ass chair as he watched the teacher starting to whip small erasers at an Asian kid a few desks away from him. Roth didn't know what kind of Asian, but that wasn't too important to him. Just the fact that a teacher was throwing erasers at an Asian kid was priceless. Roth watched as anger flowed between the two. The Asian kid, maybe Thai or Southern Chinese, was now flipping the hell out.

Roth watched as the Thai student, he was now sure of it, began to beat the living hell out of the teacher. It didn't seem like much of a fair trade. Since when did erasers to the face equal near death condition. Roth watched and stood up proceeding to clap his hand dramatically.

"Bravo! Bravo! I'd request an encore, but ya might wanna get your ass out've here before the head honchos figure out what happened." Roth continued to clap mockingly as he watched the Thai fighter continue the assault, he was just smashing the teacher for the hell of it now. If he didn't stop Roth would have no choice to intervene.

Roth made a quick glance out the window. The bright sun was starting wain as a few grey clouds of smog rolled in from the city.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 21, 2009 16:22:34 GMT -6 »

A few blows later, and he eventually stopped upon noticing two things. One, the teacher was certainly unconscious, as is often the case for taking repeated blows to the back of the head, and two, someone had decided to be a smart-ass. He pushed off the bloody mess and stood, glaring at the boy who'd spoken and clapped. He'd acted out of justification in his eyes. He'd been aggravated, and thus he'd reacted to cause the aggravation to end. As he took a step or two away from the front of the room, he simply stood and looked dead on at the dark-clad boy.

"If you have something to say, why not do so to my face?" he said calmly, his expression plain as he nonchalantly used his thumb to wipe away the blood on his knuckles, rubbing it between his fingers to dry it out and stop it smearing.

Oh, of course. The odds that someone would come along and discover what had happened were there, but Aroon wasn't terribly concerned by that. Not right now, for sure. Instead, the fist he'd been punching the teacher with flexed as the knuckles, pulsing slowly from the activity put upon them, pushed against the thick callouses of skin that restrained them.

"Well?" he added sharply, not yet removing his attention from the other boy. If he wanted to act smart, then the Thai would welcome it. His medication reacting as it was, he was almost actively encouraging the notion...

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 21, 2009 16:50:02 GMT -6 »

The Thia student had finally stopped his assault on the teacher and had now focused his attention on Roth. The Thai's anger seemed to ensue his entire being. It seemed as if this was all normal to him. Roth watched and stopped clapping as the Thai student began to approach him with anger filled comments and the burning will to fight. Luckily Roth's first mission was complete, that teacher probably now owed Roth his life.

With Roth's clapping at an end he slightly raised both hands level to his head with his fingers slightly stretched apart from one another. "Well, it just seemed that you may have gone just a little too far on that last..er...'reaction' there." Roth began to lower his hands and backed up a bit to extend his right hand. "My names Roth, and if you really want to blow off some of that steam, why not do on something that not only fight back, but be willing to be your friend afterwards."

Roth stared at the Thai student with a smile, a smile that was a showing of compassion, a smile eager to begin a friendship, a smile waiting to finally do something in the 'Collective', a smile waiting to fight just to not stay at rest, and a smile containing a secret all at once. Roth had a magical way of expressing his emotions and they had gotten him into trouble and bliss.

Roth noticed the window out of the corner of his eyes. The gray clouds from before were now still waiting in the presence of the sun. It was as if the next action that took place would be the deciding point of the ongoing battle between the sun and smog.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 21, 2009 18:41:26 GMT -6 »

ooc: Ugh, short.

ic:

His brow furrowed slowly as he listened...Whilst his temper was certainly shortened and much more volatile as a result of this reaction, his lucidity wasn't affected. As such, he was 'reading' this other boy with every word that fell from his lips, scrutinising him rigorously. When the hand was extended out at him, along with the rather pointless words, he took a single step back as he tried to find the reason behind the particular smile on the other boys face.

"I gave fair warning. He chose to cross my line. As for blowing off steam, if you want to be my friend afterward, I'd call that one pile of shit. Who fights someone they plan to get pally with?"

No, Aroon was being cautious as he spoke, knowing full well that a boy of this persons size would likely be a pain in the ass to deal with. Not impossible by any means, but certainly a problem in and of himself. Instead, he went to pass him in order to get his bag from his desk, intent to leave.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 21, 2009 19:03:10 GMT -6 »

Roth kept his smile going throughout their rather awkward conversation. Roth made a quick glance to the clock as his new acquaintance made a few statements. Class was just about to be over. Roth put his arm down and nodded his head a little bit, still with that same fucked up smile.

"Alright" Roth loosened his shoulders a bit as he watched the Thai student walked over to his desk and grab his books. As as he grabbed his stuff the bell rang, releasing the dangerous monkeys from their cells. Roth watched as the scared students fled from the classroom without a second glance. Roth gave a small laugh and turned his head to the student from before.

"All I want, is peace." Roth started to slowly make his way over to the man who still seemed to have some good anger left in him. "If you really need to take out your anger, all I ask is that you do so without proving the system right." Roth began to take off his long matted trench coat and threw it over to a random desk. "I can tell your still pissed, so please, do the "Collective" a favor and take it out on me." Roth kept talking with his smile keeping up.

Roth took another look at the clock. Locker break was talking place, thus making this break a tad longer than the rest. "We got about five minutes before our warning bell rings for the last class of the day." Roth began to stretch his fingers and wrists. "Five minutes, here you can fight all you want and the system don't gotta know about it." Roth went over to the door slamming it shut and locking it. Then took a nice long look outside.

The clouds began to swarm in on the sun. In a dazzling beautiful act the gray smog and bright sun melted together in what seemed like some sort of omen.

"Five minutes, after that we can see if you want to be friends. Who knows maybe we can grab a burger after class."

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 23, 2009 9:30:14 GMT -6 »

"I'm only going to ask once, just back the hell off."

His words were quiet, sharp and calm as the dark-clad boy stopped in front of him, having closed and locked the door. That was just fucking great, he found himself with yet another crazy and one whose noble streak ran just a little too deep. His arms folded over his chest as he stood opposite the obstacle in his way, and with a 'tch' and a shake of his head he opened his mouth again.

"Or, and here's a crazy idea, we have five minutes to, I don't know...Go to class? I already made myself clear to you, I have no need to vent any more frustration. He pushed me and as a result he paid for it. You have only served to slow me down from going to class, and considering your fairly 'good-hearted' intent I will acknowledge your concern. However, I don't just go out fists swinging for amusement."

He took a step or two forward, putting him just inside the reach of the other individual, his arms still folded over his chest as he watched even more closely, particularly considering his subsequent words.

"Now, unless you intend to take the swing at me, I'm going to ask you to step aside and let me pass...."

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 24, 2009 17:41:10 GMT -6 »

Another quick glance out the classroom window showed the sun fighting off the clouds and now glowing in the blue sky. It was peaceful, and now there seemed to be a sense of security in the sky.

Roth looked down to the floor and made a quick smile and a shake of his head. Lifting his head Roth looked to the Thai student and saw no more then a mild annoyance. No longer the passion and anger that he had saw from before. Roth had misjudged him and now looked to correct what had happened.

"Alright. Your right. I misjudged that little outburst there. I shouldn't have taken us where we are now." Roth was now calm and comfortable with no signs of hidden agenda or awkward persona. Roth out stretched his hand once more. "Let's start over. I'm Roth. I work for a wrestling company, and have some good experience in Muay Thai." Roth began to open up to this man. If theres one thing Roth needed it was friends. Cause when a man gets too lonely, he gets sick.

Roth walked over to the door and unlocked it flipping the light switch on and took another look and the teacher now struggling to regain his consciousness. "You seem like one of the good guys. And I'm a good guy too. But, I can also look like the bad guy more than enough so I'll tell you what. I'll take this guy here to the nurse or something, and I'll just meet you in gym. You do have it next right?" Roth bent over and using both arms and utilizing his leg's strength lifted the teacher onto his back into a fireman's carry.

Roth set out of the room with the bloodied body over his shoulders. The people in the hall would all be awed. The fellow teachers and caring students in shock, the valiant justice fighting students would be outraged, and the few useless rebels would clap and cheer. In a way it was as if Roth was carrying his cross to be crucified. Good thing Roth didn't believe in such things as Omens.

(ooc: Pretty much we have gym together next to meet up in. We can stay here or start a different thread. Either way it's up to you.)

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 25, 2009 11:08:35 GMT -6 »

OOC: Sure thing, feel free to pick whatever class they happen to be doing in gym, and we might as well just carry on in the thread we're in. ^^

IC:

After a moment or two, when the larger boy spoke up, he let his body relax slowly. From what he could see, the intent to make Aroon fight had gone, whether due to the Thais words or some other extraneous factor. As such, his tensed body shifted into a looser posture as he considered the outstretched hand for a moment.

'Oh, fuck it.'

Reaching to take the hand, he shook it firmly for a moment, nodding at the spoken words. To his surprise this was another person who claimed experience in Muay Thai, and he began to wonder just how common the style had become over in the Western world. He'd known it had gained a large following, but from the sounds of things, it was even more popular than he'd first thought. Assuming he was expected to reply, he did so with a slightly calmer tone than before.

"I'm Aroon. A....'pleasure' to meet you, Roth."

He wasn't sure exactly what he could call meeting the taller boy, but 'pleasure' seemed inappropriate for the mood. On the other hand, despite this, he was inclined to hear him out. As such, when he explained that he was one of the 'good guys', a mental eyebrow raised, followed by a second when he suggested Aroon was one of the same. No, Aroon wouldn't consider himself one of the good guys. Aroon considered himself an unknown quantity, his refusal to get in deep with a fighter of Roths build was just a sensible effort on his part. He was capable of bringing down large fighters, but it took a lot of effort. Effort was something the Thai didn't like to expend unless it was necessary.

"Feel free to do what you will, I'm sure someone else would handle him if you left him here." he pointed out, but it seemed to no avail as Roth set about picking up the fallen teacher. Shaking his head, he shrugged his shoulders in defeat. "Alright, fine. I do have gym next, actually, so I suppose I will see you then."

He mentally grumbled at the 'selfless' acts of the bigger youth, before he considered that as he took the teacher from the room it would appear that Roth was responsible for the injuries. Now, Aroon is not one to 'protect' someone, but he's certainly not one to let his handiwork be claimed by someone else. When the door opened and Roth stepped out, he caught the varying responses they made. A moment after, Aroon followed, the blood on his hands evident as he did so. Those who had directed their cheers, ire or rage at the taller boy would notice the already recognisable Thai and, assuming more than a handful of synapses were in working order, would deduce that he was the one responsible.

Roth may carry the cross, but the Thai carried the blood.

OOC: Feel free to pick us up in gym, dude.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 27, 2009 11:34:16 GMT -6 »

(ooc: Alright cool. I promise I won't have us doing Richard Simmons)

The walk to the infirmary was awkward to say the least. Roth has just noticed that his new friend Aroon was walking behind him. It was like a march of the two with the unconscious teacher and his blood. It seemed like some sort of biblical march...somthing. Roth had never read the bible. He had always wanted to, but never got around to it.

Their time in the infirmary was quick Roth had laid down the teacher on a chair and hoped Aroon had gone somewhere to wash his hands up for gym. With a quick decision Roth decided to take a quick breather outside after all that had happened so far. Finding a nice large tree to lean against Roth reached in his pockets. It took a moment to realize that he didn't smoke any more. He had picked it up while in Philly, but quit on his transition to California.

A long look out to the sky showed that the clouds that were battling the sun before had finally won. Gray clouds engulfed the sky and it looked like it was going to rain. All that meant to Roth was that they would stay indoors during gym today. Apparently teenagers melted in the rain.

After a few minutes of walking Roth found himself in the gym locker room. Roth didn't change from his dark jeans and black t-shirt, but had to head there to be counted for class. He saw Aroon in the room and gave him a nod from across the hall. As each student was accounted for they were all headed into the gym. The track around the gym was set up along with a few exercise stations everywhere.

"Oh boy. Fitness day" preceded with a large sigh Roth looked over to Aroon as they were put in the same group to go throughout the course. At least they weren't just sitting around like usual.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 30, 2009 1:34:27 GMT -6 »

ooc: Well, that's a relief. I don't look good in Lycra.

ic:

The Thai maintained a composed silence for the majority of the venture to the medical station, simply choosing to fire returning glares at whoever happened to observe them during the walk. Mostly, he considered the bizarre events that had brought this about. He'd punched out a teacher for his attitude to the Thai, normally that would be the end of it. Sometimes someone might challenge him in some kind of 'moral high horse' manner, but usually, that was the extent. He'd fight a fight, then go home. Apparently, with this boy, such things were not the norm. No, instead he'd presented himself as a human punching bag in order to let Aroon 'work off stress'.

Either he was mentally damaged or was just far too noble for his own damned good.

By the time they'd gotten to the gym, having noted the rain with a slight distaste, he took a minute to pull on his gym gear and paced through into the indoors facility. The apparatus lining the walls did not go amiss, and the Thai simply shook his head in annoyance. Odds stood that this would be some pathetic attempt at running drills, and he would have to play along to sate the class. With a glance at the dark-haired boy -Roak, he'd said his name was-, he gave a monosyllabic grunt of assent.

"I thought this country had a fixation with dodgeball...." he muttered, as he glanced to Roth with a raised eyebrow.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jun 30, 2009 17:26:10 GMT -6 »

The florescent lighting of the gym was blinding. Roth couldn't remember the last time he was here, it didn't rain often in Chula Vista from what he had seen. Aroon and him now stood a few feet from each other and were beginning to open up mild conversation. Roth laughed openly to the dodge-ball remark.

"Thats America for you, if your not kicking someones ass then your a faggot."

His laughter continued as their group made it's way to their first station. This one was fairly simple. Push-ups. Everyone in the world knew and dreaded that word. Nobody liked to do them, yet they were a great test of strength and muscle building.

Roth got on his stomach and laid in his position waiting for Aroon to accompany him. The whistle would blow, Roth would go and then a few minutes later it would be time for station two. Fitness day, as if anyone in this Commie Camp really needed extra physical abuse.

"Having fun yet?"

With the same smile on his face and a tad of laughter Roth looked at Aroon. It was about time to make some friends in this place. A man gets too lonely and he gets sick.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 2, 2009 10:15:12 GMT -6 »

"A rather pathetic state of affairs, if you ask me...." he muttered as they paced over to the first of the afternoons little 'games', and he rolled his eyes. Push ups.

'Oh, how terribly complex.' he thought dryly as he stretched out his arms with a twist of each shoulder, following up by dropping down to the prone position a few seconds after the rest of his group. If they expected him to participate in this farce, he would at least work out to his own limit, and not theirs. Sighing to himself, he closed his eyes and braced his hands, waiting for the signal.

As the whistle blew, he pushed against the lacquered floor, elevating his body before his hands adjusted, hooking back three of the fingers on each hand, he set into the push-ups properly, actually feeling a semblance of effort from the enhanced exercise. He simply counted off to himself all the while, letting his mind ignore the grunts and groans of those...less 'fit' in their group. This was the most irritating factor of the whole debacle, as well. In an actual 'sport' he could compete against and humiliate those weaklings, but here he had to actually tolerate them with no means of amusing himself.

He stopped an instant after the whistle blew again and pushed himself to his feet with ease, bunching his fists to crack the stiffened joints of his fingers from the push-ups, before turning to Roth with a slightly raised eyebrow. Alright, so the ox-like youth was at least tolerable in the long run. Compared to the other members of the group, he was practically excellent company, but the Thai did not humour it more than necessary for now. Instead, casual politeness would serve the need

"Tons. I don't know how I could get through the day without it..." he shot back, a tiny crack of a smirk creeping onto his lips before he turned away and stopped at the next station, glancing at the words on a small, laminated label.

Sit ups

Well, that was reasonable for the weaker ones. Surely they could take it in turns to hold each others ankles or something....Instead, the Thai simply took a spot of flooring and sprawled onto his back, arms folded behind his head for the moment as he waited on the blowing whistle.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 3, 2009 19:55:56 GMT -6 »

The whistle echoed through out the gym as every able body scurried to do there task to their best performance. Everyone knew if they didn't do something good enough, hard enough, or fast enough they would be 'taken care of'. Roth watched on as a few kids were already under the 'justified' assault of some gym teachers for being too slow at they're push ups.

With a laugh and a smile at Aroon's sarcastic comment Roth accompanied him to station number 2. Sit Ups. The tall white Irishman sat down on the laid out mat and pressed his heels deep against the mat, slightly raising it. Nobody was going to touch his ankles..it was just...weird.

As soon as the start whistle blew Roth was on his way. Each time he pulled his heavy two hundred twenty two pound body up to his knees he exhaled loudly before dropping back to the ground. Roth watched as a few stragglers to his left were again being physically hassled by the gym teachers. He turned to Aroon once more as the whistle blew once more for the next rotation.

"Exercise. It's the Americans worst enemy I suppose"

With a small laugh and the placement of his arm on Aroon's shoulder Roth walked over to station three. Pull Ups. Yet another exercise with an up.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 6, 2009 17:45:17 GMT -6 »

As opposed to the standard sit-ups that he saw the majority of the class attempting, Aroon went for abdominal crunches. If he was going to work up a sweat in this class, he'd need to put his normal routine into effect. The Thai could do sit-ups for far longer than this class went on without tiring, and besides that, he enjoyed showing up the weaker excuses who were present.

By the end of the round, at the whistle, he'd fired out sixty crunches and quickly pushed back to his feet, raising an eyebrow at the tall youths remark with a touch of amusement. He'd noticed the accent earlier, but said little of it. However he suspected he might have a slightly kindred spirit in dislike for this countrys slovenly ways.

"Right up there with salads and walking, if it's anything to go by..." he retorted, though he did step away at the hand on his shoulder. He was placated by the taller boy, but he wasn't about to start playing nice. Besides, he didn't particularly go for physical contact, especially not when he was in the middle of a workout. When they stopped in front of the next cycle, he didn't need to read any little sign to say what it was. Instead he sighed and stepped over to one of the mid-height bars that he'd be able to use. With a quick hop, he took a grip on it with his right hand, setting his left over the top and hanging for a second before the whistle went again, settling into the drill calmly. His slight figure made this particular exercise a little easier than normal, but it was a tough one for anyone and even Aroon began to perspire after a minute or so.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 7, 2009 10:44:11 GMT -6 »

The tall Irishman took his arm and placed it back at his side as Aroon steeped away from the touch of his shoulder. Roth didn't always mean to make physical contact, but something in his blood kept it up. A slight touch here and there had gotten him into trouble more than once. Roth laughed at the Thai man's comment about salads and walking. It was true.

"Well, good thing I love both, eh?"

Roth jogged over to the next station as he began to stretch out his limbs and neck, awaiting for the whistle to blow once more. Roth was a little ways from Aroon on a slightly taller bar. As the whistle blew Roth jumped up and latched his hand onto the bar and curled his legs into his abdomen and began to lift himself up again and again. When he curled his self it seemed to make him use a bit more strength than usual.

Roth took a look around as the routine up and down became nothing more then reaction. Some kids were falling off the bars, some were just hanging using all their strength. The gym teacher from before were making their rounds to whip them all into shape. Sometimes Roth thought he had enrolled in the Knox academy. There didn't seem to be much difference.

The whistle blew once more as Roth out stretched his legs which made him stand straight up and his elbows bent while still clutching the bar. Roth waited for Aroon to come along to their next activity before making his won way there. He wondered if he would say something first for once as he looked to their next assignment. Laps around the gym.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 8, 2009 19:33:20 GMT -6 »

"Hn..."

It was monosyllabic, and perhaps even a tad rude, but Aroon thought of nothing worthwhile saying for the moment, not least when he was in the middle of an exercise drill. Instead, he waited until they had dropped down from the pull-ups and made their way to the fourth station. Running laps was reasonable enough to do whilst speaking, and he did actually have something he wanted to ask the dark-haired youth.

His silence continued for the first two laps, maybe a minute or two more, before he spoke up, out of the blue and in a simple pitch. "Tell me, your high and noble act earlier, what's your reason for it?"

It was a simple and straightforward question, rather blunt in fact, but rather than feed a possible answer he wanted to hear exactly what justification Roth would give to him. His insight into the taller boy was limited when he was still trying to decipher the real reason for his apparent intent to put himself on the chopping block for someone elses sake.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 9, 2009 10:04:07 GMT -6 »

The tall Irish white boy ran with his new friend the whole way through. He could have pushed all the way through and gain good distance ahead of him, but that was more sprinting. Roth preferred a lower pace jog to keep his heart going. It was a lot more peaceful than going full speed non stop the entire way. The Thai man began to question Roth about his ideals on why he did what he did. Roth laughed a small bit thinking that the last time he heard that question was by his therapists back in Boston.

"Well, I could give ya my life story, but let's keep it short. Look around ya for a sec. All the kids who can't keep up with the herd are immediately stuck down."

They were now beginning their 4th lap as Roth pointed out the gym teacher making their rounds on the slackers and stragglers. He eyed the teachers for a second before continuing his explanation.

"It's senseless violence really. Instead of striking down the stragglers, why not teach them the way to get back to the top. People here do one of two things. A: Cut off the loose ends, or B: ignore it."

A quick glance to the side of the gym revealed two boys being beat down to the ground for being at the end of the laps. They were fit for their age, but the slowest of the ones left standing.

"I just want to see everyone at peace. A place where we actually come here to learn, and nobody throws shit in each-others faces. You and Mr. Whatshisface were throwing shit at each other. I didn't get the realization til last minute and tried to step in."

Roth's ears twitched as he heard the whistle blow and began to jog slower over to the next station. Weight lifting, simple enough. Three types of weights, 10 pound, 20 pound, and 30 pound. Hell even a monkey could figure that out..even though there were some monkeys smarter then Roth.

"The reason I did what I did was so that nobody who couldn't take a hit had to take yours. I live to keep the peace, make everyone happy. Like I said, I'm one of the good guys."

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 10, 2009 1:56:08 GMT -6 »

At the prompt, he did look around. He saw nothing terribly unusual, students being chided for their inability to do as instructed. That was the simplicity of the system. Do as you were told or suffer the consequences, after all. However, he humoured Roth for the moment and heard him out before he considered his own response to it. Frankly, whilst he was no advocate for the system, simply because its presence acted as a 'big brother' and attempted to govern everything, the Thai couldn't have cared less about this aspect of it. People had a tendency to be too soft, too reliant on outside influence to deal with things, few people learned to unlock their potential.

Yes, perhaps he could agree it was a little harsh, but if it spurred a handful to realise what they were able to do, then it was successful in that aspect. The sole facility of the school system the Thai could agree with, and ironically the most loathed. Eventually, he decided that his input was required, and he did so in a voice that barely seemed out of breath as he maintained his pace.

"A sweet and naive idea, Roth, but what are you hoping to achieve? You won't get 'peace' by extending an olive branch, only by brandishing a sword. Ironically, in order to get your idealistic dream, you'll have to completely contradict your own desires."

He stifled a small snort of derision as he continued on, a half-smirk creeping onto his lips. "See, that's the difference we have. I don't see the point in peace. Peace is dull, peace is stagnant and uninspiring. Why not come here to learn, and do so through the true use of your wits? I dare say there's a good number of students here who are more than capable of being antagonistic little fuckers like me, but simply go to class and dodge the bullets, no? What harm is there in forcing people to meet a standard? The real world's gonna do the same thing to most of them, so getting a foot-hold early isn't such a terrible notion."

Stopping as the whistle blew, he broke his stride and angled himself over to the next station and immediately plucked up two of the twenty-pound dumbbells. Sidestepping Roth as he approached a nearby bench, he sat on it and leaned forward slightly to brace his arms against the side of his knees, executing a rhythm of alternating bicep curls with each limb. When he spoke again, his voice was sharper, more serious than before.

"It's not whether someone can or can't take a hit, Roth, but whether someone does or doesn't deserve it. I execute my own judgments on people, and sometimes that stems to being on the receiving end of a beating. As far as being the good guy goes, that pretty much meets my expectation for it; by leaving alone people who don't bother me, and dealing with the ones who do, I'm displaying fairness. That's as good as it gets."

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 10, 2009 8:41:51 GMT -6 »

The peace talking Irishman listened with a great deal of curiosity. He memorized each word that came out of the Thai's mouth. There were points he agreed with by 100%, and some where he completely thought the opposite. Roth let him finish his input before returning into the debate.

"Well, your right on some things, but some points I disagree on. Well yes, they way you put it the System works like a charm. Everyone is forced to work to their potential. But in reality it doesn't work. The kids that don't do as good ain't beaten into thinking they can do it, they're beaten senseless. You give somebody an inch of power and they take a mile."

Roth was now besides Aroon, lifting similar 20 pound dumbbells. There was a heavy tone his his words followed by a breathing pattern to keep up with the exercise. Roth took a quick look around and saw that Aroon, himself, and about twenty of the other kids were the only ones not bloodied on the floor.

"As for your idea of peace, it's much more then not doing anything. When I think of peace I mean a lack of fear more then anything. Not a place where everyones happy and love each other, thats impossible. But something where the power isn't the major issue. People ain't beating kids, and beating each other out of boredom, they do it for power. You take away the means to gain power over something the urge of violence disappears."

The whistle blew and the remaining students now moved to their next stations. For Roth and Aroon they had completed the rotation. In other words time for push-ups..again.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to take down the system. That would take years and years of research and development to be done the right way. I mearly want to keep things on the down-low. Control the gangs, control the overpowered teachers, and the students looking to cause a riot. And who ever said I wouldn't be fighting fire with fire. If violence is used, so be it, as long as it doesn't interfere with the innocent, anything goes."

Roth laid on his hands and waited for the whistle. Roth began to do his push-ups at a slower pace then normal. He pushed and played the waiting game to prove his point.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 11, 2009 1:26:09 GMT -6 »

"Fear, Roth, is good. Fear keeps us sharp, it keeps our wits about us, and it prevents people who recognise it from ending up in the sort of situation these idiots did."

He observed that remark on its own for the moment, finishing a few more of the arm curls before they lapped around and back to the push-ups station once more. He exhaled to himself as he dropped down to his prone position for the drill, and only when he began to execute the push-ups did he actually highlight the obvious flaw in what Roth was saying, indeed, the Thai had a minute smirk on his face as he pointed it out.

"So, effectively, in order to have peace, you'd fancy yourself a dictator. Bravo, Roth, because that's a tried and tested theory over the last few thousand years." he began, craning his head slightly as he continued, allowing himself to look at the dark haired youth as he pressed on, barely a second after stopping. "You want to take the power away from people who abuse it, and in doing so you'll inadvertently put that power upon yourself. Who's to say you'll not corrupt just as they did? You'd have to enforce against people who wanted to change your ideals, just as you want to do now."

Aroon sighed to himself as he pressed against the floor, elevating his body with another rep. "Like I said, it's a sweet and naive idea. Maybe a good natured one with noble intent, but sweet and naive all the same. I mean, you think you could control every gang with affiliations within the Collective? Take on the teachers who are hand-picked for the most part because they're at least capable of handling the average student without trouble? The student body? Do yourself a favour and stop dreaming, because let me make this clear...."

He stopped dead, his dark eyes glaring at Roth without any malice in them, despite the harsh words coming from his mouth. "You'll fail."

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 11, 2009 9:58:44 GMT -6 »

The Irish and Thai fighter were both deadlocked in conversation. Roth wanted to give peace to the Collective, and Aroon was finding a flaw in everything Roth said. He had to admit, his ideals may have been sweet and naive, but to the majority of the student body the current system was bad, and almost anything would be better.

"Well, I can't say your wrong. I want something that may never, hell it probably won't happen. But all I know is that what we have going on here isn't working. The power goes to their head and they run with it. Do you think I want that power. I would love nothing more then to have nothing at all to do with violence. I would love to go to school, learn, make friends and have fun. But we can't do that here. Theres only one difference between out Education System and those in third world countries. And it's money."

Roth went into each rep slowly and surly as some gym teachers approached the two at their station. They made a nod of approval to Aroon, and then a small scowl to Roth. They counted his reps for a while and then moved on. Some how he was up to par.

"A Dictatorship is what we have now. The Director runs it all with his marine soldiers and higher ups and keeps us all in line. The whose controlling them. I don't want to take down the system, or implement a new one. Like...a civilian police force. By the people for the people. Keeping violence low and the violent in check. I don't want to do it, but I'm here to help people. I don't know what your ideals are on the well being of people, but when I see a friend or classmate beaten down for the smallest thing, it makes me want to rise up. Just like I did to you."

The whistle blew and Roth jumped to his feat going back to the next station of sit ups. Gym class was nearing an end. They would maybe make it halfway through the rotation before heading back to the locker rooms. Roth laid on his back and waited for Aroon's response. Roth looked at his as a good guy. They didn't want to be in anyones way, or have someone get in their way. Over all he seemed to truly be left alone, in peace.

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 11, 2009 17:26:23 GMT -6 »

"You're entitled to your opinion, Roth, as I am to mine. I think that for the sake of things it would be better to agree to disagree." he said simply, pushing to his feet as the whistle blew once again and padding across to the mats set out for the sit ups again. He left a few moments of silence as he took his position on the mat and tucked his hands behind his head.

"Listen, Roth....I don't believe that a place like this can have peace. There's too many people who want their own agendas, and only their agendas. At the end of it, for me, I just do what I want, when I want to do it. This may be a school, but that's all I will view it as. These people have no dominion over me, but if they choose to exert it over anyone else, that's their problem."

He shrugged slightly despite his odd position and set into his sit-ups mulling over Roths odd ideals. He didn't really get why anyone wanted to play the grand hero and save the school like this, when it was much more interesting just to get on with things and have your own amusement as time goes by. Sure, he didn't exactly condone violence on those who couldn't defend themselves, but if they couldn't defend themselves, it was often nobody's fault but their own. People had to learn to survive, the world wasn't a friendly place and if they wanted to get by, they had to learn to be able to stand on their own two feet.

Roth, then, by Aroons logic, was actually impeding the natural process. Doing so with good intentions, but still preventing those who needed to learn not to take the crap themselves from actually doing so. If there was always a hero there to save your ass, why bother doing anything yourselves?

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 11, 2009 18:17:35 GMT -6 »

Roth continued his push ups now with a slight frustration. His anger began to rise as his new friend sat beside him curling his own muscular body as Roth did. As soon as he wanted to retaliate, Roth let it go and continued with his normal exercise. He stopped for a second and sat with a thought and then turned to Aroon.

"I understand where your coming from, I felt the same way a long time ago. I guess when you or someone you love get directly involved your thoughts will change as I did. It all changed when I found his beaten kid in an alley. I thought initially it wasn't my problem, hell I wasn't supposed to be there."

With a quick movement of his eye Roth saw the teachers making their rounds to them. Trying to be able to finish his conversation Roth went back to his exercises double time. While huffing from overdoing his natural pace he continued.

"So. I eventually brought him. To a hospital. Thats when I realized. I had a purpose. Why someone of. an accidental birth should waste the air. I did something good, and didn't take credit for it. And then recently. Because of this system. my sister. was killed."

The loud whistle blew as Roth took a quick breather before getting up and to their next station.

"It's different when something happens because of someone you love. She should have lived, and I should have never seen you naked."

Roth made a quick laugh and shot himself up and went over to the pull up bars. He was smiling oddly. Trying to forge about his sister and focus on his friend. He did consider him a friend.

"Look, all this talk about nobility and violence is getting old. How bout we go grab some lunch after this, like friends, eh?"

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Side-Effects... [Open]
« Jul 11, 2009 18:50:30 GMT -6 »

"Hn, so it's not just a heroic crusade, it's a personal one..."

He left his scorn out of the observation, leaving out any remark on the incident in the courtyard a while since. As he walked over to the bars, he hopped up onto his without a hesitation, though he could feel the burn start to set into his muscles. He'd not have any trouble carrying on, but his breath was beginning to pick up from the exertions. His stamina was decent, but hardly exceptional in the long run.

As such, when Roth suggested lunch, he didn't answer right away, rather he let his rhythm settle before doing so. "Fair enough. As I said. Agree to disagree. And sure. I suppose lunch. Isn't a bad idea."

His words came in a flow, each break forming with each rep he did. He had a sneaking suspicion the acceptance would be something he'd end up regretting, but for now he'd entertain the idea. As a result, when the whistle was blown and they were informed class was due to end in ten minutes, he dropped down but didn't simply walk off to the changing rooms immediately, waiting for Roth.