Author Topic: Sticking to Stereotype's (Read 322 times)
steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 13, 2009 19:43:02 GMT -6 »

Steven staggered along dragging his feet trying to learn the lay of the shop in the area. He had seen much of the collective but he wanted to see if they was any thing out here worth. Steven stomach growl louder then he could every have recalled. Halting and stretching out Steven thought to himself. "How long has it been since I ate anything?" He asked himself, "Oh yeah I haven't had anything to eat since I got here, I've been to distracted exploring everywhere." He said to himself his stomach growling yet again.

Looking around Steven tried to find the first food shop,cafe or anywhere he could buy some food and maybe get a cup of tea. Sadly there wasn't and starbucks or other coffee shop like places that normal sold tea as well, the only decent looking place, was a small American diner. Before he actually decided on going in, he was already walking toward the diner.

Pushing the door open slowly, he walked inside and went straight up to counter, sitting down on one of the stools, and laying his head down of the counter. "Hey what ya want?" a gruff looking guy behind the counter said. "6 slices of toast, and the largest cup of tea you can give me." Steven replied sitting up, watching the guy walk off to get his toast and tea.

Learning to his right Steven grabbed the segmented box full of different little pots of jam, and the such like and looked at them. Plunging his hand in the marmalade segment, he pulled out around 10 of the pot and pushed the box back down the counter. Steven waited, his stomach complaining about the wait, now that he had realized that he was hungry.

A few minutes later the man came back, put a small plate with toast piled up on it and a large mug down in front of Steven a little to hard, probably out of dislike of his job. Grabbing one of the sugar shaker things, Steven pour a reasonable amount in to his tea, then tasted it. Opening the first two pots of marmalade, he emptied one and part of the other onto the top piece of toast and then used the knife on the side of the plate to spread it around. He knew eating so much after so long was going to hurt his stomach but he was just that hungry.

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 16, 2009 19:39:35 GMT -6 »

Caleb's stomach was rumbling with hunger, he would have eaten in his room after preparing something in the kitchen. But the kitchen had been a mess and Caleb wasn't going to clean anything in there so he had returned to his room. Until Caleb's hunger finally beat the crap out of his cheapness. He went into the city. Found the first affordable place he could get something to eat. It wasn't necessary the closest one to campus, Caleb wasn't familiar with the city yet. He entered the diner. Unfortunately his cell-phone rang. He glanced at the display before sighing. His mother. He considered ignoring the call, but that would make it the fifth or sixth call he'd ignored these past 2 days. With great reluctance he answered the call and lifted the thing to his ear. A short sound from Caleb was immediately responded with a dozen questions in quick succession. Caleb held the phone away from his ear and awaited silence. After half a minute, he got the silence he wanted.

"Yeah yeah, I'm doing alright -" He paused for a second as he sat down next to some bloke with long brown hair. "- Chula Vista is alright so stop calling all the time. I am doing fine here." This was met with another barrage of questions. Caleb held the phone away again and ordered some fried egg. It was rich on proteins and Caleb probably needed that. Plus some bread and orange juice. The phone went silent again and Caleb let it return to his ear. "Sure thing, oh I gotta jet now, have some ... laundry to do." Caleb hung up with a minor smirk.

"Phew, glad that's done with." He said to himself as he pocketed his cellphone and began to wait for his food. Observing that the guy with the brown hair had half a dozen or so, pieces of toast on his plate.

steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 16, 2009 20:28:27 GMT -6 »

Steven had finished putting the spread on his toast and lifted a hand to take a bite as another man, sat down next to him. Seeing out of the side of his vision that the guy was on the phone, he went back to his toast. The ordered something, which Steven had ended up blocking out due to the sound of crunching toast in his mouth, but it was quite obvious that the guy next to him had either no interest in the phone call, or had hearing like a hawk, from the way he held the phone.

It was noticing that the guy was even talking back which made him decided on the first option, and also look out of the corner of his eye again. What he saw shocked him for a second, the guy was looking at him while waiting, not glancing at him quickly like he was doing to the guy, but actually giving him the once over, in a way similar to someone figuring out who would win a fight, he had seen that a lot in his old school.

Calmly Steven finished the last bite and half of the first piece of toast, before lifting his mug and take a large gulp of tea, large enough that many would have burned their mouth if they did the same. Putting the mug back down slowly, Steven the turn his head to the guy. "Excuse, not meaning to be rude, but why are you staring, it kinda unnerving." Steven said politely.

Now that he was looking at the guy properly, he looked young, a bit younger then him but Steven wouldn't have been able to guess a age. If the guy was younger then him though, he might be in either of the schools before O'Hare. Steven hoped he wasn't one of those people that would use this as a excuse to start a fight, he hadn't been here long enough to make enemies.

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 17, 2009 18:59:59 GMT -6 »

Caleb had officially zoned out. His mind wandering around aimlessly and contemplating things that made no sense at all. When someone spoke to him he blinked and it took him a second or two to return to the real world. He glanced around the diner. Like in most zoning out, he had no memory of what had caused his mind to stop caring about the outside world. It was the brown haired boy who had caused him to return to the world again.

"Errh, sorry. I must have zoned out. And thanks for snapping me out of it, could have sat here for minutes before snapping out of it myself."

Caleb smirked and shook his head at himself and his zoning out. As he opened his mouth to say something more again, his food arrived. He took a look at it. Exactly what he ordered. Wonderful. He didn't have to scold the waitress today. He placed the fried egg on top of the toast.

"Bon appetite" Caleb said to the stranger and took a bite out of his fried egg toast. It was quite tasty. Needed some salt though. He looked around for a saltshaker, the nearest one was on the far side of the stranger.

"Could you pass the salt, please?"

(OOC: Really low on creativity)

steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 17, 2009 19:36:03 GMT -6 »

"Errh, sorry. I must have zoned out. And thanks for snapping me out of it, could have sat here for minutes before snapping out of it myself."

The guy spoke after a few second of realizing that he had been spoken to. At the man word, the phrase 'Thank god' passed through Steven''s mind. Zoning being the cause of the guys staring was much better then anything else it could have been. Steven nodded as to say 'Your Welcome' without speaking.

"Bon appetite" the guy said taking a bite out of his food. "Buon appetito" Steven replied, similar words, same meaning but different language. "Could you pass the salt, please?" the guy asked, and Steven and picked up the salt shaker without pausing, putting it down next to the guy.

Steven was about to turn back to his plate of toast, and crack open another jar of marmalade, to go with the leftover from the second pot, but then a idea came to him. Picking up his tea instead he drank a little and then spoke. "Random question, but I don't suppose you know this area well by any chance, I'm new to the area and haven't been able to see everything yet." Steven asked.

It was a good idea, hopefully if he was lucky, he could learn a little about the area and make his first friend since moving into the collective dorms. If he didn't make friend while he could, he was going to turn into the quite loner he had been a few years ago.

(OOC: Not much better myself, but at least we're posting. LOL)

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 18, 2009 20:38:25 GMT -6 »

"Thanks."

Caleb said when he got the salt. He sprinkled some over his fried egg and Caleb was quite satisfied with the quality of the food at this diner. The juice however was quite bland. Nothing positively interesting about it. The only noteworthy thing about the juice was the bad aftertaste it had. Caleb was certain that he wouldn't finish the juice as the last thing. He needed something to wash the bad taste away with. He took another bite out of his fried egg sandwich when the brown haired boy talked again. The first words were lost in his crunching. He hadn't been able to see everything yet? San Diego was a fucking huge city. But Caleb supposed there were some things worthy of being seen.

He just hadn't found 'em yet.

"Sorry mate, I'm not that familiar with this city, either. Still got much exploring to do..." Slight pause. "Ever heard of the Chula Vista Collective?"

Caleb asked before taking a drink from his juice. Yeah. Bland taste in the beginning. But a hideous aftertaste. He blinked because he had forgotten that taste would linger in his mouth. It almost made him nauseous. He ignored the taste. He couldn't do much else. Still. The taste lingered on for agonising seconds before he finally gave in and took another bite out of his sandwich. Waiting for a response from the other boy.

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2009 20:38:51 GMT -6 by godlike » Back to Top  
steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 23, 2009 8:38:36 GMT -6 »

(OOC: sorry for the delay, been looking for a job the last few days, kind bad post as well.)

Steven listened as the guy told him that he didn't know the area and ended up mentioning the collective, which caused Steven eyebrows to raise slightly. "I've heard of it, in fact I just moved into one of the dorm, I've just been exploring while I wait the couple day before my classes actually start." Steven said returning to the task of spreading jam on his toast.

"I'm hoping it's a lot better then my last school." Steven said aloud but to himself. He didn't know if he last a couple more in school if the collective turned out to be as bad as 552 had been. Steven decided to remain silent and quickly finished a piece of a toast.

He didn't really know what else to say, it had taken a few years before Steven had made and real friend back in Manhattan and it would be strange if he managed to make one so quickly, but then he was interested, if this guy also went to the collective and had been for awhile, he may not no the out laying area where they were but he should know about the schools.

"I got another question, if you don't mind, what exactly are things like on the collective, fight and such are they really bad, gangs and the like. I prefer not to walk into the current students hierarchy blind." It was long winded the way he spoke but that was just the way Steven was, using more word then really need, but sometimes it helped.

Steven looked the guy up now, he didn't come across really as the guy who would know a lot in his opinion but Steven knew not to judge a book by its cover, it was safer to ask and be told yet again he didn't know anything, then not asking and finding out later that he did.

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 23, 2009 18:54:52 GMT -6 »

Caleb couldn't say he was surprised when the young man said he knew what Chula Vista was, and that he had just moved into the dorms. Caleb was sort of expecting it. All people he talked to had something to do with the school. It was perplexing, exciting and quite frightening at the same time. The last remark about it being better than his old school could mean a lot of things. Could be that he didn't have many friends from back home, the opposite of Caleb who had left behind a lot of good friends. Now that he thought of them his mood dropped a notch and he began eating again. But he didn't have much time to be depressed in, for the boy asked another question. One that Caleb would have trouble answering. There was so much going on and he knew basically none of it. Caleb looked at him for a couple of seconds before replying.

"Well, the staff seems to maintain a very strict dressing code and they're not afraid to shoot students with rubber bullets should they attempt anything with the system. There is a fair share of violence on campus. But you can easily avoid conflict if you want to. And there are some people you should steer clear of, but I only know them by appearance. So I can't be to much help there." Woah. Caleb said a lot there. He washed down the dryness it had caused in his mouth with the juice. Once again irking mentally at the disgusting after-taste.

"That's pretty much what I know. But your little comment made me curious, what school are you from and what made it so bad?" Caleb asked.

steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 25, 2009 17:38:07 GMT -6 »

(OOC: Hope the red speech help. Just trying to get in to the habit of doing that again.)

Steven listens as the guy told him about how things on the collective was like, and apart from the uniform which he didn't mind that much in truth, everything else sound better, marginally so, so slightly many would ignore it but better in any way was better. When the guy asked about his school, he didn't know how exactly to reply without giving away a lot about himself, simple words should suffice.

"Well, you've got your blackmail, deaths, student wars more often then pokers in hell, torture from teacher. Then their is gangs, more violent then some of Salvador Street gangs, gladly they didn't have gun. Last of all it was in bloody New York. Which has bad enough crime to begin with." Steven ranted, he really did hate #552, he spoke badly of New York too but in truth his place in Manhattan hadn't been that bad.

"You probably get a lot of that here too, but my school was such a hell hole, I some times think rats would leave it alone." He said at the end, not wanting to dismiss the hardship in the collective as nothing.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2009 17:39:05 GMT -6 by godlike » Back to Top  
godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 27, 2009 15:45:21 GMT -6 »

OOC: Certainly makes his hatred of 552 more ... colorful, pun not intended.

IC:
Caleb just listened to him as he spoke about his old school. He didn't say what school it was, he only mentioned a city where it was located. Caleb knew of two schools with an infamous reputation from the New York area. One of them was Varron Academy, that place had been closed down from what he knew. Many years ago. He remember seeing it on the news when he was younger, remembering the terror it brought to his parents. Apparently, they had a nephew in Varron Academy who got severely beaten in the "clean up" of the city. Caleb had no idea where the students had gone after the closure of Varron Academy. The other school was Public High School 552. Better know as simply 552. His knowledge of that place was pretty limited, only a few rumors off the internet. And as far as he knew, it was still up and running. If the schools had ever been in a war with each other, the carnage would have been total.

"Actually, things aren't that bad around here. At least not from what I have seen and heard. But judging from what you say, then things can only be an improvement from 552." Caleb said the three digits to see if he would have a noticeable reaction. Caleb knew he would check up on 552 once he came back home to his dorm again.

"Sorry for being nosy, but, what made you move all the way across country? There must have been better alternatives in the nearby schools." - Caleb hated when people said sorry for <bla bla bla> and then did it, but for some reason, he had done it himself. He would rather have people just skipped the sorry part and went straight to the business.

steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 29, 2009 3:03:18 GMT -6 »

Steven didn't really mind the question, even if it was nosy as the guy had said. "I wanted to get as far from Manhattan as I could, I only had a couple friends there, and a lot more enemies. Plus strangely O'Hare has a high sucess rate of people doing the courses I'm doing." Steven said, it was strictly true, there had been a couple other universities that had decent result from student doing what he did, but the reason he didn't go to any of those was because it meant moving back nearer to his father something he didn't really want to do.

It also had something to do with how the collective was set up that intrigued him. Across the U.S.A. there were managed high school that happened to share ground with a university, but how many had a high school a university and a military academy. None other the collective that he could think of.

Steven had original thought that having that military school nearby would possible leak discipline out to the other school, with out the need for violence. The army academies were know for decent discipline, without the use of violence because the real army didn't use violence as a form of discipline. "Plus the dorms here are decent." Steven said with a small laugh.

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Jul 31, 2009 17:36:21 GMT -6 »

Caleb listened to the guy's reason, curious about what he had to tell. Really. Knowing someone who had experienced the darkest sides of the system was exciting. Very exciting. Caleb wasn't against the system, he didn't really care about it. He had never had any bad run ins with the system. This boy had. And that made him very interesting to Caleb. His reasoning for moving that far away from Manhattan really meant that he had experienced something terrible over there. ... Or he was a wuss. But Caleb didn't believe that, but he kept the possibility in the back of his mind. After all, Caleb really wanted to visit Manhattan some day and see what the city had to offer.

"Ahh, well, if half the things you said happened to me, I'd probably move 'cross country too. But I assume you know what you want be, well, for lack of a better word, when you're an adult."

Caleb had no idea what he wanted. Well. Beyond training his body to the physical perfectness of someone his size and train his parkour. Maybe he could get hired at some of the bigger shows. But he would need to train hard as hell to be able to do that. Still, should be interesting. He laughed with the stranger when he mentioned the dorms. Decent. They were huge and all of them had all the inventory a teenager needed to survive.

steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Aug 4, 2009 4:44:12 GMT -6 »

(OOC: Sorry for the wait been busy the last couple of days.)

What Steven wanted to do when he was a adult. Probably move again, Steven had always wanted to go to england. To actually see the country he was from to see if it was any better then America. That would mean having the money to which probably meant he would have to work for a few years here in America.

"I have a few ideas, either a writer, journalist or at a long shot translator." Steven said, each of them was a job he could probably do one day. Writing was something he would love to do though, while a translator would just be using his skill for other languages to make money to go traveling.

"But that's a few years off, plus by the time I leave I hope that the system will have change, thats what I'm really working toward at the moment." Steven said, in all honesty Steven didn't really see it happening but the improbable was only ever achieved when someone attempt tried to do what they thought would be impossible.

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Aug 6, 2009 17:28:34 GMT -6 »

OOC: Same.

Caleb was honestly surprised when this guy mentioned that he hoped the system would be changed. While Caleb had no opinion on the system, he didn't think it could ever change. Not overnight, that would be fairytale stuff.

"So, you think the current system is the root to all the evil around? Or am I exaggerating?" Caleb would respond to his hopes and dreams. Probing into the man's mind. Wondering if he was serious or just pulling Caleb's leg. But if anyone could change the system, it would be journalists. They could expose the system and perhaps make some minor changes to the way things were handled. Or. Make it much worse and abusive.

steven

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Aug 10, 2009 11:23:16 GMT -6 »

"Root of all evil?" Steven said with a laugh. "Hardly, but a lot of it. The more violence you use, the more you accept it, the more use it." Steven said finishing he last of his tea, which was now at a temperature he could down it. "It just a stupid circle. Once I'm out, I'm out, maybe the next generation will accept it. I don't" Steven said soundingly annoyed at nothing in particular.

"Anyway." Steven said standing last piece of toast in hand. "I really should be heading back to the dorms" Steven said taking a bite of the toast and turning to look toward the door. "I have quite a bit to do still in my dorm before my lesson tomorrow. See ya around." Steven said striding away eating the last piece of toast on the way.

godlike

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Sticking to Stereotype's
« Aug 17, 2009 17:22:15 GMT -6 »

Caleb was a bit surprised when the guy laughed at his comment. His surprise gave way to his regular curiosity. A circle of evil. If that was true, then eventually, people would have had enough and would break down the system. But according to rumors, those against the system was by far outnumbered. And it was mostly students and ex-students from the most extreme schools that were against the system. According to the research Caleb had done on the subject. But actually talking to one of the anti-system people was a lot different.

"Sure.." Caleb said when the guy with no name said he had to return to the dorms. Caleb would have accompanied him, but he understood the gentle tone in his voice that he had been annoyed. Caleb wasn't sure at what and assumed it was him or what they had been discussing. So Caleb remained seating. And just turned to see the boy off.

"Yeah. see you around." Caleb said as he turned back to his food. Just remembering that he had no idea what his name was. He had just had a semi-long conversation with someone without getting their name. At least it had made eating more interesting.