Author Topic: Dropping in (Club Rebellion, Tiao) (Read 364 times)
Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

Dropping in (Club Rebellion, Tiao)
« Jul 25, 2009 15:17:40 GMT -6 »

Why am I surrounded by so many idiots?

This wasn't the first time Ari asked himself such a question since he arrived in San Diego, but it was certainly the latest. Normally, he was one to enjoy causing a fair deal of trouble, but all the violence and chaos had been truly pointless, and not worth his time. It was true that he had a reputation for loving to fight, being willing to take any excuse to jump into a physical altercation, but he'd always thought violence had to have some reason for it, an honest one. Perhaps that was why he particularly despised the Fremont troublemakers; they had no honest reason to be creating chaos. They claimed to be heroic rebels, fighting for justice and freedom, but their actions put the lie to their words, and Ari Karamzov was a man who hated liars.

Was it the Collective who had rampaged through the corridors of Fremont with a sledgehammer? Who had set bonfires on the grounds to destroy uniforms? Who had set explosives off in Knox and nearly turned an assembly into a riot? No, those had all been the work of the "heroic" students who claimed to oppose such wanton violence, and the "evil" of a Collective that had done little to deserve such a label. To him, they were just a bunch of trouble-making punks, hurting people for fun, and it was a somewhat unpleasant echo of his younger days. Even his roommate had got involved, despite Ari's own warnings. Some people just didn't know how to listen to advice.

At least I never lied to people about why I fought, he thought to himself, looking around the streets of Chinatown. San Diego on a Saturday held no small amount of memories for the giant, the heat and the people everywhere proving welcoming to him, as opposed to the imposing and crowded feel it would probably inspire in others. He would have loved to spend his day just lounging around the big city like in the old days, raising hell where he felt like it and generally mucking about, but that wasn't why he was here today.

No, Ari was here for more important things; it was time for him to decide just what he would do with his life here, a decision he'd been delaying since he arrived. It was a question that had been on his mind since Tiao had told him about his move, since he'd made the decision to leave what was left of Hircine and his San Francisco life behind. Ari had always been a decisive person, and now it was time to stop stalling and make his choice either way.

Now just where's that damn club?

Club Rebellion. He'd heard the rumours about as much as anyone else had, regarding the new management and some of the supposed business practises going on behind closed doors. Naturally, it seemed like a good place to check out, but there had been the matter of actually getting the time to do so. Of course, obtaining a fake ID was useful, too. With no homework, and his training for the day done, it seemed like the perfect time to find a club people were convinced had a small army of skeletons in its closet. Fate seemed to be on his side today, because he soon found himself in front of the doors, waved in once he stuck the aforementioned fake ID in the bouncer's face- though, perhaps said bouncer was a bit intimidated by being head and shoulders shorter than Ari. He seemed the type not used to being smaller than people.

Strolling in with his usual air of dominance, he searched the area calmly, looking around for any signs of what he was looking for. The music was some trashy modern stuff that he proved quick to tune out, making his way towards the bar silently. If the rumours were true, the people there would definitely know the answers he was hoping to get, so it was a logical step. A form as huge as his moving through a crowd tended to attract attention, and he was definitely projecting a sort of "get the hell out of the way" vibe, so it wasn't long before he made his way to the bar, wrapping his knuckles against the wood to make doubly sure he had the barkeep's attention.

"Hello, sir. I'm looking for a man named Tiao Lei Shen."

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jul 26, 2009 15:47:56 GMT -6 »

"Yeah?"

The bartender replied, trailing Ari's figures with his eyes before deciding that he didn't want to deal with the giant. Figuring it was best to let Tiao handle his own business as usual, the bartender held up a finger as he gestured for Ari to wait a moment. He walked to the other side of the bar, holding the calling button for the intercom placed against the wall.

"Mr. Tiao?"

"...Yes?" Tiao replied after a moment, leaning forward at his desk as he pressed the button on his phone.

"There's a guy to see you down here...a really big guy."

"Thank you. Tell him I'll be down shortly."

As the bartender did as he was told, Tiao finished initially the handful of documents on his desk before switching them over to the "done" pile. Sliding his chair back, he spun to the right and stood up, moving over to the windows. Despite his non-chalance at the call, Tiao had no idea who was here to see him. He had known a handful of large guys, and none of them could be described as friends.

If Tiao had to make an immediate assumption, there were two possibilites. One, hired muscle or "mooks" were almost always big guys. It was about a 50/50 chance that they were tough, but their sole purpose was to intimidate. It was possible that someone intended to convey that message to Tiao tonight, but it wasn't likely. The competitors left around weren't stupid enough to try and get at him in his own territory, not this late in the game.

The second possibility was the more likely one. Tiao had garnered a reputation in the Collective almost as quickly as he had back in San Fransisco. Big guys typically had an ego, driving them to pump weights to begin with. Therefore, it was likely a student of the collective, or simply another meathead in attendence of the club tonight, looking for either revenge or a chance to prove themselves against the infamous Tiao Lei Shen. Either way, legends had their responsibilities. Among them, were beating the shit out of opposition to retain such status.

He could make out a sillouhette from the windows in his office, but there was a limit you could identify from the back of someone's head. He made his way down the stairs and onto the dance floor, making a bee-line for the bar. Before he had got into a dozen feet of the man, however, he knew.

"Karamzov. Finally run away from home?"

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Jul 26, 2009 18:53:37 GMT -6 »

"You'd be surprised how much time trying to keep a school from blowing up can take from your schedule. Was a matter of finding the time to track you down."

Normally, Ari wasn't one to exhibit black humour, but in this case it seemed appropriate. After all, if one thought of it, Fremont was in a similar situation to some of the other notable schools under the system, such as Hircine and Varron. He didn't really want to deal with yet another terrorist attack on a school, so he'd chosen to keep more of an eye on things, which had proven rather time-consuming. Still, that wasn't why he was here.

Turning to face his old rival, he stepped forward onto the dance floor to meet him halfway, maintaining eye contact and keeping his hands in his pockets. While not submissive, his overall position would indicate that he wasn't actively seeking to cause trouble, though he supposed that in itself was a bit suspicious. Not that he cared; Tiao was probably smart enough to piece things together. Still, they were starting to attract attention, customers and staff curious as to why Tiao had come down to see the giant.

"I trust you already know why I'm here," Ari said. "After all, you look like you're doing fairly well for yourself, and you don't get that way if you're stupid. You never did answer any of my questions, back in San Francisco."

OOC: Gah, sorry for the short post, wasn't too inspired and was trying to keep the thread moving.

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Jul 27, 2009 16:25:30 GMT -6 »

"Maybe you should adopt a system of laissez faire. Your time could be better spent elsewhere."

Tiao Lei Shen stuffed his hands back in his pockets when Ari turned around, not displaying any outwards hostility. It was always better to be prepared, but if Ari was going to fight him, he'd let Tiao know. That fight would come eventually, Tiao was sure of that, but just not tonight it would seem. Ah, well, it was for the better. Best to seperate business and pleasure.

The ex-pillar wasn't oblivious to the garnering attention. Despite any attempts at keeping a low profile, Tiao's reputation almost always preceded him, in addition to the difficulties of supressing his more passionate personality traits on a constant basis. As Ari finished speaking, Tiao would nod back and to the left, spinning on his heels as he gestured for Ari to follow him. Assuming he didn't come all this way to stay put now, Tiao would speak as the crossed the dance floor and made their way up the staircase and into his office.

"You always have to leave some to the imagination, Karamzov. Lay everything out on the line, and it grows dull."

Tiao started, glancing back to affirm Ari was following him before stepping all the way into his office, and gesturing for Ari to take a seat across from his desk. If he would, Tiao would take the seat opposite in his leather desk chair, folding his hands in front of him on the desk.

"But you know me, I don't give a shit about small talk, so let me get to the point. I know your family has always had monetary problems. I also know its been getting better for them, but I'm guessing you can still appreciate the dollar sign. I'm sure you've guessed that I have a lot of people under my employ, already, but I need something more specific. The "skilled professionals" that watch my back during the day aren't exactly the kind of people that can walk non-chalantly by your side at high school. I trust you about as much as I trust anyone else, which is not at all. The only difference is that I know you can handle yourself, and I already know for certain that you want to smash my face in."

Tiao paused, reaching into his right drawer as he pulled out a clip of one-hundred dollar bills.

"In real life it looks a lot smaller than it does in the movies, but I'm offering you one-grand a week to keep people from wasting my time. That includes meatheads like yourself wanting to up their reps, as well as anyone trying to take a cheap shot for any other reason. In return, I'll pay you this plus perks, including the opportunity for you to take your shot at me at anytime of your choosing."

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Aug 15, 2009 2:21:55 GMT -6 »

OOC: Yeah, the post is shit, sorry, but I was past caring by the time I got it done.
IC:

"You've got a point," Ari admitted with a shrug. "Still, I'd rather not let something like that happen again if I can help it."

He maintained eye contact with Tiao for a few more seconds, trying to ignore the on-lookers, until the shorter man shot a nod behind him and turned to leave. Now that he wasn't under Tiao's scrutiny, he allowed himself to relax; he'd been sure that Tiao would make a move, and had been holding himself ready accordingly. However, it seemed the "Tiger of Hircine" had something different in mind, and Ari found himself following silently behind Tiao as his curiosity proved stronger than his caution. Neither would insult the other's intelligence by claiming that their rematch was off, but it seemed the fight would have to come another day.

Just what's going on in that head of yours, Tiao?

The two pushed their way past the crowd easily enough, as none seemed willing to cross Tiao by being in the way, and Ari offered a curt nod at Tiao's next comment. What he was saying sounded valid, but that didn't stop Ari from wondering just where he was going with it. Following Tiao into the office, he couldn't help but look around a bit, slightly impressed. Still, he refrained from passing comment, instead taking the seat he was offered and casting an even look Tiao's way.

And now it gets interesting.

Ari already knew what his old rival was getting at before the man reached for the stack of hundred-dollar notes, and had to force down a smirk at the resulting hit of nostalgia. In the old days, many a so-called big shot had come to him hoping to get his services as a bodyguard or hired muscle, thinking his large size and (eventually) fighting ability would intimidate their enemies. Sometimes they paid well, sometimes not, but it was a line of work he'd always found himself well-suited to. Besides, a job was a job, and life had taught Ari never to be picky with his opportunities, especially when they were ones he was already quite good at. What harm could protecting the Chinaman do, really? It was good money, and kept the guy from being taken down before Ari had his chance. The offer of a rematch whenever he wanted one only made the offer all the more enticing.

"So even someone like you needs a bodyguard from time to time," he observed before he grabbed the notes. "I know a good deal when I see one, and this sounds interesting, but I've got one question: what happens after I take that shot?"

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Aug 15, 2009 19:06:29 GMT -6 »

Tiao Lei Shen came to Ari for the same reason everyone else had. He was huge, and therefore intimidating on first impressions to most people. The main job of any security detail was to deter problems, and the best was to do that was before they started. Rather than hire someone like Aryck Venn, who would have been spectacular nonetheless, Ari's big size would give people seconds thoughts. Someone unassuming like Aryck would be able to deal with problems, but not necessarily discourage them from happening like Ari's muscles did.

"Don't misinterpet, Karamzov. My need for a bodyguard isn't out of self-preservation, its a time saver. You're job is to keep people from bothering me while I do mine."

Tiao Lei Shen watched as Ari grabbed the clip of bills and seemingly accepted his offer. Leaning back in his chair, Tiao listened as Ari offered a question of his own, causing a smirk to appear on the ex-pillar's lips as he spoke matter-of-factly.

"You'll be expected to return the day you're discharged from the hospital."

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Sept 6, 2009 21:40:42 GMT -6 »

"As confident as ever, I see." Ari returned the smirk with one of his own. "I just hope there's no hard feelings when they have to wire your jaw shut."

In most jobs, you couldn't exactly get away with talking about breaking your employer's jaw, but Tiao had brought it upon himself, especially by offering a rematch whenever Ari wanted it. The larger many was tempted to take his shot here and now, but he had a feeling that it wasn't the right time yet, that he should at least see what working for the man had to offer. He knew full well that anything Tiao planned couldn't be legal, he felt it in his gut, but one grand a week was nothing to scoff at.

Maybe he was being greedy, but Ari knew opportunity when he saw it. He'd never had much respect for the law anyway; everyone knew the real money was in crime. Well, that or fighting, but protecting Tiao and fighting professionally weren't mutually exclusive. Really, where was the fun in working nine-to-five in a cubicle your whole life? Tiao's offer was much more interesting.

Oh, I'll break you, Tiao. But first, I'll see what your little operation can do for me.

"Well, as fun as it'd be to take you down now, it wouldn't exactly be the best start to the job." Ari shrugged once he'd placed the money securely in his pocket. "I'll hold you to what you've just said, Tiao, but that means I'll have your back, too; as long as you keep your end of the bargain, I keep mine, it's that simple."

Whatever Tiao's reply, Ari wouldn't move until the other man did, and just maintained eye contact until he got some sort of response. He had no problem working with Tiao for now, and figured what he'd said was reasonable enough, but he couldn't say for sure how Tiao would react.

"That's all I have to say, just tell me when I start."