Author Topic: Checking Up (Evie, Pod 11) (Read 303 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Checking Up (Evie, Pod 11)
« Nov 29, 2015 20:19:29 GMT -6 »

Knock.

Knock. Knock.

A day or so after the rally, and Aaron'd been making his rounds among those who'd gone, checking up on how everybody's been doing. It could have gone worse, but it could also have gone a lot better.

He should have been there. But that would've meant disobeying Mr. Amtrum's direct orders, leaving Piper alone here...

Dozens, dead or wounded. Dozens maybe he could've saved. A mastermind at large. It froze his blood just thinking about it.

This wasn't about him, though. Creepy as he felt looking up people's pods to check on them, people he'd mostly never met, he'd felt like he had to see if people were okay. He'd been there, after all; some nights he dreamed he was still in that school, standing between those monsters and innocent children, covered in pieces of Miranda.

Evelyn Cravens
Mentor
Intelligence

Evelyn Cravens Avatar

The world forgetting by the world forgot.

[send pm]

« Nov 29, 2015 21:29:33 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Coming!" Evie shouted from the kitchen, turning the heat down a little on what she was cooking. She had a soft smile on her face, despite everything. She wanted a good night in with the boys.

Bouncing over to the door, the orange haired girl opened it to a stranger. Her brows furrowed in confusion, smiling faltering upon her face.

She straightened, standing between the door and the doorframe. She wasn't much... Tiny in stature... But she would protect her home.

"Can I help you?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 29, 2015 21:37:43 GMT -6 »

"Oh, um. Hi. Is an Agent Cravens in?"

He hadn't checked for pictures, really. Which seemed to him a bad idea, now. Even though he's taller than the orange haired girl, he still finds himself keeping a respectful distance, and looking mildly sheepish.

"My name's Aaron. I, uh, heard about what happened at the rally, so I've been making the rounds and checking up on the people who were there. Felt like the least I could do, since I missed out on the mission."

And boy, didn't that burn inside.

Evelyn Cravens
Mentor
Intelligence

Evelyn Cravens Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 29, 2015 21:55:20 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Yeah," she said, offering a gentle sort of smile. "I'm Agent Cravens. Evelyn will do, though. No need to be formal."

She opened the door a little wider for him and started moving back towards the kitchen, where she still had food cooking.

"Come on in. I'm just cooking dinner for the boys. It was really nice of you to stop in, Aaron."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 3, 2015 22:08:29 GMT -6 »

"It's no problem, really. Wish I could've been there myself, to help you guys out."

People had died because Mr. Amtrum ordered him to stay. Because he'd listened. Sure, protecting Piper was worth it, he knew why Mr. Amtrum told him to be where he was, but... he should have been there. Aaron stepped inside at Evelyn's invitation, closing the door quietly behind him and having a look around. The smell from the kitchen was easy to pick out, at least, and he nodded along to what the agent said.

"Smells pretty good in there. Anything I can help with?"

He did know a bit about cooking, after all.

Evelyn Cravens
Mentor
Intelligence

Evelyn Cravens Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 3, 2015 22:26:51 GMT -6 via mobile »

"You can taste the sauce!" She said. She seemed fairly cheerful as she led him into the kitchen. Veggie noodles were cooking in a red colored water and there was sauce, mixed with meat, in a different pot.

Coming back to it, she stirred the sauce, seasoned well with thyme, oregano, basil, and parsley, but there was a soft heat to the meat. She took out a spoon and scooped some out, handing it over for him to try.

"Don't worry about not being there. I mean every agent can't be on every mission. And all things considered, I'm told it went fairly well." A sad smile replaced her cheery expression, remembering all of those lost. They really should have been able to save more people... "We caught two of the bad guys, so there's that."

Despite her age, she seemed almost childlike. Holding tight to that innocence was the only way she could move past what she saw.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 31, 2015 11:16:17 GMT -6 »

(Woop, sorry, I forgot about this)

Mm, that sauce was actually pretty good! And Evelyn seemed to be taking this whole situation better than he was. That was good. Probably.

"Yeah, at least they can't hurt anyone else. You guys didn't do bad at all, from what I hear."

He was still sure nobody would've died if he'd gone, but he wouldn't say that. It was an arrogant thing to even consider.

"The sauce is great, though."

Evelyn Cravens
Mentor
Intelligence

Evelyn Cravens Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 1, 2016 19:01:22 GMT -6 »

"Thanks!"

She seemed to focus on the meal that she was preparing, rather than Aaron. She didn't really like having people in her Pod and there was always an underlying fear, that Mikky or Kenny would come in and ask questions she legitimately did not have the answers to. She wanted to avoid any sort of fight and wasn't entirely certain that she would manage to dissuade the boys from arguing.

"Don't beat yourself up, Aaron. We did what we needed to do. It's okay, really." She was trying to help him feel better, but there was only so much she could do on her own. "There were so many lives saved and now, like you said... They can't hurt anybody anymore."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 11, 2016 19:11:02 GMT -6 »

"I don't plan to. You're right, after all."

Maybe he would a little, but he wasn't going to tell her that. He'd come to check on her, not the other way around! Surprising she was taking it so well, though.

"A lot of people have a hard time looking at it that way."

Quick Reply