Author Topic: Lunchtime Liaison! (Eve Amtrum) (Read 380 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Lunchtime Liaison! (Eve Amtrum)
« Dec 15, 2015 23:00:14 GMT -6 »

Lunchtime at Paradigm! The bell rang, and a living tide of students and junior agents flooded out of their classes and training sessions, into the cafeteria, flowing and rushing to the food line or, if they brought their own food for the day, separating to make an early dash for the tables. A formerly quiet room rang wall to wall with conversations and exclamations and moving bodies and the occasional announcements over the PA, all but convulsing as the horde of trainees and young agents took advantage of their mid-day break from lessons.

In all the chaos, Aaron gives the cooks a grateful nod and slips away from the head of the line, hot lunch in his tray that'll give him all the nutrients he needs to keep up with the rest of the day's exercises. After the training he's already done, all that protein and those carbs feel like they'll really hit the spot. He's heard some people - Brad particularly - complain about the cafeteria food, but honestly? He always thought they did a pretty good job, especially with what they had on hand and how many people - with the special metabolic needs of metahumans! - they have to feed all day.

Besides, it smells tasty. Weaving around some of the dispersing crowd and between occupied tables, Aaron feels the ambient chatter - small talk here, a junior agent boasting he's being sent on a brief mission into Europe with some seniors there, a couple cliques of agents who'd come from conquered countries - wash over him as he heads to his usual table, a nice spot near one of the corners, and settles down. The backpack on his shoulders makes a satisfying little whumph as he brings it up and over to set on the tabletop. The tray is slid aside by a tendril of shadows as his hands unzip the pack and pull out some materials - paper, a pen, some coloured pencils - and he sets it all in front of him. A lot of the usual crowd don't seem to be here today, so he might as well chip at putting some things down on paper or something, engage his creativity a little.

As he starts doodling character designs, he's practising with the tendrils, manipulating his utensils and bringing his food right into his mouth, chewing slowly and thoughtfully. It's a slightly new idea, so his teachers told him to get used to it and practise with it where he could.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 15, 2015 23:22:04 GMT -6 »

Evelyn enters the cafeteria with a small group of her friends that share her lunch hour, grinning and laughing at a joke that's passed between them. Personally, she's happy to have brought her own lunch, but it takes time for some of them to get in line, and will take a bit for them to get their food and join her, so she starts scouting a table.

Which means she passes by Aaron's, since it's relatively empty. The shadow tendrils don't seem to bother her, but there's a mild curiosity about what's in the sketchbook. Anything interesting for her to see?

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 15, 2015 23:35:22 GMT -6 »

Character designs and little jotted notes about things to make a little comic thingy about, mostly, as well as a couple buildings and landscapes! A few of the characters look original, but most seem to be recreations of people in stories they've been told in class, including younger versions of both her father and his.

There's also some villains in there, she might recognise some of them if she knows her Paradigm history!

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Dec 15, 2015 23:40:56 GMT -6 »

Of course she knows her Paradigm history!

Right now, though, Evelyn's more curious about the designs of the familiar faces, such as her father's. She stops long enough to take a closer look with a small, thoughtful hum. She might even spare a glance for the rest.

Is Mathew a hero, or a villain?

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 15, 2015 23:55:25 GMT -6 »

He's a hero! After all, he did turn good! The drawing of him is still in progress, though, as if Aaron's trying really hard to get it right.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 0:18:40 GMT -6 »

Huh. Interesting. She raises her brows for a moment, then smirks. Not too bad, though.

"You need to fix his jawline. It's not that square."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 0:51:24 GMT -6 »

But all heroes in comics have lantern jaws!

Conditioned by art classes and teachers' feedback, Aaron automatically starts erasing and redrawing to fix the jawline, not really registering who just spoke to him! He pauses, blinks, and looks up, slightly surprised to see her there!

"Oh, hey Eve."

They know each other from several of their classes, but he hasn't thought about going out of his way to hang out outside of that. Partly because of the last name - he keeps imagining Mr. Amtrum glowering him into submission for daring talk to his little girl.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 1:41:50 GMT -6 »

Eve may also be a little biased in that her dad's form doesn't need improvements. She nods in both greeting and acceptance as she looks over the rest of the designs and sets.

"What are these for?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 1:59:29 GMT -6 »

"Practise, mostly. My power's pretty open-ended, so creativity and imagination help a lot in developing what I can do with it - I got my power from Mom, and she said her art skills really helped her in exploring and improving her skills."

He's not as good an artist or umbrakinetic as her, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. She sees drawings of old Paradigm Chicago, the original Academy, and various random buildings, along with the characters! Among the villains, Fightmaster and Kharne loom over the others, and there's what looks like a man covered in inky shadows, wearing a hat and trenchcoat. Red eyes and the occasional animal head poke out of the shadowy substance, and it's drawn in a way that suggests a roiling, primordial mass.

"I've been thinking on drawing, you know, little comics based on things we've been taught in class, war stories we've been told, things like that."

Directly questioned on his drawing, and he didn't even stammer or look too embarrassed. Progress.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 2:14:28 GMT -6 »

For brevity's sake, we're going to go with Evelyn being able to place many of the stories and saying them out loud, her gaze focusing on each one as she names them rather than pointing.

"Not bad." She pauses and looks at the shadows that are taking over. She seems neither surprised nor impressed. Just another kid with powers doing their thing, though taking up this much space at lunch for it is kind of annoying.

"Got anything finished?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 2:34:04 GMT -6 »

They're not taking up that much space, only moving between the tray and himself, but when she looks at the shadows he frowns and dismisses them, self-consciously. He'd not been paying much attention to what they were doing because his attention had been on the sketches, then her.

Finished, huh...?

"I've got a couple, but these take a while. There's this one though."

Tentatively, as if hoping she won't hate it, he'll show her where there's a bit of a comic adaptation of one of the more interesting teachers' stories they'd heard in class.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Dec 16, 2015 2:39:05 GMT -6 »

Sounds like he needs to work on his focus and finesse! Or maybe that's what Mathew would say.

"Lemme see." She takes a closer look at the finished work, looking at the details and perspective. Got any hints for teh story? Setting or characters drawn?

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 10, 2016 23:34:45 GMT -6 »

He probably does! His teachers say he's making progress, but you never stop learning.

"'Kay."

He hands it over without fuss, and Eve can see it's about one of the missions that teacher undertook in their agent days. This delay has taken long enough so a lot of the details and specifics are up to interpretation, but the main characters are the teacher and his team back in the day, and on the bad guys' side, Hyperion remnants. It's not excessively violent, but Aaron wanted to practise drawing action so there's a few pretty good fight scenes.

After the end, there's a few "preview" panels for other ones he's thinking of. One of Dr. Husher's old golems - minus Dr. Husher herself - is in a fighting pose, in one of the panels, and another one features the shadowy trenchcoat man.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Jan 11, 2016 17:33:42 GMT -6 »

Evelyn looks over the comic! Her expression doesn't change much as she glances over the panels, recognizing the mystery story and teacher. Her expression doesn't change, even at the bottom. The golem and trench coat guy catch her interest, but only for a second before she hands it back to him with a shrug.

"Is that it?" She looks as bored as she sounds.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 11, 2016 17:41:18 GMT -6 »

"No, that one was pretty much for practise. First one I tried to do."

Well this might have been a mistake. Maybe he should've made an excuse, or just said no. But that would've been mean.

"I'm about halfway through one about this guy."

He indicates the trenchcoat man with the tip of his pencil, since she'd looked briefly interested when she saw him.

R.I.P. Evelyn Amtrum
Student

[send pm]

« Jan 11, 2016 18:35:28 GMT -6 »

She looks over the new material, handing back the first sheet to Aaron as he explains. Her expression doesn't seem to change much, though.

"What's it about?"

Quick Reply