Author Topic: Unbreakable [Open] (Read 319 times)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Jan 31, 2016 3:42:32 GMT -6 »

They've always been there for him.

Then Joshua came here, and the cold hard truth came crashing through just like that drill when his barriers were penetrated for the very first time. Never had he put them to the test beyond his daily life. That was, beyond his OLD daily life where the greatest threat to his safety was stubbing his toe on the coffee table or tripping over the curb.

When something came to actually threaten his well-being, his tool for survival nearly failed him. Josh knew that if he was to be of any use around here, he'd need to put his powers to the test. The boy had worked himself into quite a sweat, trying to maintain a wall between himself and a machine that fired weighted balls at him. If one broke through or if his concentration shattered it would probably suck to get hit, but it wouldn't kill him... nothing truly dire.

Yet each time the heavy loads struck his shield, his temples pounded in agony. He had only held the barrier up for twenty, maybe twenty five seconds. Every two seconds, a hit... twelve hits?

WHAM!

Thirteen, and ever harder. Damn it, this couldn't be it!

Josh panted and stumbled to the side so when his barrier faded, the exercise ball whizzed by harmlessly and thudded into the wall.

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Jan 31, 2016 4:00:53 GMT -6 »

"Not bad!"

Actually, Lucien had no idea if that was bad or not. He hadn't ever seen this guy before. BUT, he was training, trying to improve himself, and that was something Lucien always approved of with all his heart! A Paradigmer could never stop on the road to self improvement! Do you think the Empire's finest stop training? Or the assorted other supervillains Lucien honestly didn't care much about as long as the Empire existed? No!

He'd come in here for some practise himself, muscles tensed up and energy needing an outlet of some kind, any kind, but when he saw the fat man and his shields he decided to stop to watch. It was an interesting idea, testing how much those barriers could take! And brave to risk getting smacked in the face with one of those balls!

If the agent looked over, Lucien would be standing there with arms crossed and a gym bag over his shoulder, watching and giving him a nod.

For the Fatherland!

Just let me off the leash

(Language key:

Normal colour = English/phrases in French and Italian I already know
Blue = French
Green = Italian)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Jan 31, 2016 12:18:44 GMT -6 »

"Thanks but..." Josh started, holding his throbbing head. "I need to do much better than that. Waaaaay better."

When it came to serious threats, his barriers may as well have not even existed with as quickly as they broke. What was the point of having the power to protect people if it didn't even protect anybody? That's why the limits had to be pushed and this power needed to grow stronger.

"I'll be okay in a minute," Josh said. He found himself still short on breath from exertion, even if it was entirely mental. The pounding headache had felt like it would last forever but as soon as that thought could run through his head, the pain was already dulling. Thankfully, the stress from pushing his barriers subsided almost as quickly as it came. When it was gone, Josh was standing straight, finally looking at the guy who addressed him.

"See? Okay in a minute, what'd I tell ya? ... Oh, uh, haven't seen you. I'm new. Name's Josh Eichmann!"

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Jan 31, 2016 14:34:34 GMT -6 »

"Lucien Marais! Welcome to Paradigm!"

Lucien offered his hand with a huge grin, his voice echoing off the metal walls.

"For a newbie, that was quite good! But I appreciate your honesty; we can never stop learning and improving, not as long as there is evil in the world!"

It looked like someone needed to work on their endurance. They needed a lot of work there. Look at that gut! Or how Josh was already so out of breath!

For the Fatherland!

(Language key:

Blue = French
Green = Italian)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Jan 31, 2016 18:57:19 GMT -6 »

Josh graciously took it with a smile, seeming none the worse for there now.

"Thanks. I've had this stupid power forever, but I never used it much. Always afraid to. Now I s'pose it's like a muscle I haven't used in forever, gotta stretch it and work it out." Trouble was, Josh wasn't entirely positive that's how it worked. He could only hope.

"First few shots are totally blocked but the longer it goes on, the more my head hurts. Really BIG hits, they just shatter the whole damn thing. Like that dude who can grow his limbs... know who I'm talking about?" Josh thought back to when he fought the criminal known as Ricky. It was easier remembering since he WON that fight, but not without a lot of help.

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 1, 2016 3:48:11 GMT -6 »

"I don't think that's a rare power."

Which was a way of saying no, he wasn't sure who specifically Josh meant! After a mighty shake, Lucien let go, still grinning. Had his power forever, huh? And working so hard on it, now? How determined!

"Powers are like working a muscle! You train it until you exhaust it, and your reserves come back stronger! Some, like mine, can be trained by just training your actual muscles."

He flexed to illustrate the point!

"But non-physical ones like yours, you have the right idea! As you improve them, they'll be stronger, able to take more hits, and your body will be affected less! It will take time, but as long as you work hard, you should find yourself improving!"

« Last Edit: Feb 1, 2016 4:19:45 GMT -6 by Lucien Marais » Back to Top  

For the Fatherland!

(Language key:

Blue = French
Green = Italian)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 2, 2016 2:05:04 GMT -6 »

"Ha... well, that's what I was hoping to hear."

Josh shut his eyes and shifted his glasses around. Actual muscles truly weren't a problem for him. He didn't look like an Adonis for sure, he understood that. Underneath all the fat, though, was still an athlete who used to be an excellent linebacker... not for like, the Packers or anything, but high school football was still football. He was confident enough in his physical abilities. No, the problem was these darned shields giving him migraines.

"I guess I can keep pushing these until my brain can't take anymore today?" Josh postulated. "Then if I give it another shot tomorrow, after I've had some rest..."

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 2, 2016 13:48:20 GMT -6 »

"The day after, perhaps. You're new, so your power might need the extra recovery time! Training every other day to start with will let you get used to it, and give you time to recover and grow stronger. Just like muscles!"

Though the man obviously had a headache, so perhaps Lucien should lower his voice a little. It was ringing off the metal around them incessantly as it was.

"I can help you, if you want. I've been here for a decade, and have spent years fighting the most dangerous enemy of all."

Seriously, why did Paradigm do ANYTHING ELSE but fight the Empire? Everyone else could be dealt with later.

For the Fatherland!

(Language key:

Blue = French
Green = Italian)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 2, 2016 21:13:20 GMT -6 »

"Will my brain really take as long as my muscles to recover though?" Josh asked, a little incredulously. "Maybe we'll need like, somebody with psychic powers who's an expert on this one. I'll take the help though, man. I really appreciate it."

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 2, 2016 21:17:24 GMT -6 »

"Don't worry about it."

See? He could be quiet sometimes!

"As for your brain, I'm not sure. However, I am pretty sure that pace will let you get used to it more easily than every single day - you might wear yourself out because your power and brain haven't been under that kind of strain before. You work your way up."

For the Fatherland!

(Language key:

Blue = French
Green = Italian)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 3, 2016 2:30:28 GMT -6 »

"Well, uh, I guess I'm done for now." Josh took a look around the room. There were exercise balls everywhere, numbering 30 or some-odd that the weird cannon was shooting at him. It was fortunate the facilities had one of those, though Josh was at a loss as to why they'd have one at first. He figured then, after a bit, that it was for people who wanted to simulate blocking or parrying hits the old-fashioned way. Either way, it served his purposes just fine.

"Guess I'll clean up here and let you have it."

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 5, 2016 12:37:02 GMT -6 »

"If you want, but I don't mind the company. Let me help clean up at least."

Unbidden, Lucien would start picking up balls and putting them back where they belonged! He remembered this machine, it was very handy in its own way, great for working on his density powers; not to mention, sometimes he just liked smacking the balls out of the air. Tutorial had something for everyone if you looked hard enough.

For the Fatherland!

(Language key:

Blue = French
Green = Italian)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 7, 2016 0:38:29 GMT -6 »

"Uh... alright," Josh said, joining in picking up the balls and placing them back on the gravity rack where they loaded back into the machine. "And thanks," he added after the fact.

Around the second-to-last ball, Josh's stomach was already rumbling. He'd have to go and do something about that, obviously fix it up a bit. "Well uh, nice meeting you... Lucien?" Josh asked, hoping he had remembered exactly how to say it. "I'm gonna grab a bite."

Lucien Marais
Agent
Defense

Lucien Marais Avatar

[send pm]

Unbreakable [Open]
« Feb 11, 2016 23:24:58 GMT -6 »

"Go ahead! I can finish up here."

Plop. Done. But there was still training to do! Josh might have been quitting early, but Lucien was just getting started, already stretching as he spoke.

"Whenever you want to train more, you can find me in Pod 2, or just ask somebody for Lucien! They'll all know who you're talking about."

His name was one that got around a fair bit. Probably because people tended to hear him before they saw him.

For the Fatherland!

(Language key:

Blue = French
Green = Italian)

Quick Reply