Author Topic: Checking it Out (open) (Read 418 times)
Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

I'm The Bomb. No, literally, I blow stuff up. With my mind and junk.

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 2, 2009 19:16:59 GMT -6 »

A large figure leaned against a layer of chain link fence. The sun began to set before the mans eyes. It was beautiful as swirling clouds of pink and orange danced slowly together with the sun. A heart warming sight to the eye. But the trench coated figure wasn't visiting for the view.

Roth rummaged around his pockets of his loose black jeans. He was looking for a smoke and lighter. It took him a moment to remember that he had quit that habit a while ago. He still occasionally yearned for a cigarette, but each time he drove himself to ignore it.

The large wrestler bumped himself off the chain link fence and look past it. Behind those 10 foot walls of chain link and barbed wire was a large building currently under construction. It was rumored to be called the MAPP building. Nobody knew anything about it besides the rumored name.

Roth looked on a few feet away noticing some other people around him. It was quite though, peaceful. For some reason Roth visited this building everyday since he first heard about it. Each time he looked for clues about it, it's purpose, it's reason, it's name. He didn't know why he was so driven to it, but he was.

When Roth thought deeply enough about it he thought he may see significance. A military base, air training, simulated armed combat, maybe even something that could make a change to the Collective. He saw hope in it. In a way this building was Roth's Hatch like John Locke from Lost. Unfortunately he hoped they didn't share a similar fate.

With a slow movement and a quick readjustment of his feet Roth took his hand out from his pockets. With a deep stare he folded his arms. A voice began to echo through his throat and into his mouth.

"What are you?"

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 2, 2009 21:10:07 GMT -6 »

"One of the headmasters toys, I'd guess, something to amuse him."

Standing there as much as her all her five foot three fatigued glory could present, her cover was pulled down casting a light shadow over her face keeping the sun out of her eyes. Her short dark hair was tucked behind her ears and she looked for all intents and purpose like the straight laced military brat, she wasn't. Nothing about her uniform was out of place - the toes of her block standard issued boots polished and glossy as she could manage to get them, even the way the laces were pulled through the eyelets uniformed to military dress code.

It was entirely late after being let out for class but Aleece had just not gone back to her dorm, she hadn't stopped into the library and she left all her work in her locker. She sometimes just liked to walk the campus for no particular purpose and it so happened that her feet led her right to here.

"You're not planning on going in there are you?" She asked her hands folded together behind her as she looked at Roth, this being a third meeting with the guy and it left her wondering what he could possibly be doing over here of all places. Aleece understood that the building being constructed beyond the chain link fence was a complete mystery to everyone, even her...no amount of digging or hacking had yielded results. So she was left with unanswered questions, and half baked assumptions, something she didn't like in the least.

Ever since her short stint in the Pit, her expeirence with the Headmaster and the feeling that she had been left with no option but to tell him what he wanted to know...stayed with her almost constantly. Usually she was good at word games, manipulating a conversation, but with the Headmaster, there had been nothing of that sort. There was something off about that man, what he was doing, what his business was and usually she was never one to go on gut feelings always relying on facts, but...

"Its heavily guarded twenty four - seven," she added knowing he probably knew that but feeling the need to inform him of the fact anyways.

« Last Edit: Aug 2, 2009 21:14:09 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top  
Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 3, 2009 18:11:43 GMT -6 »

"Well, I wouldn't say 24/7. Theres always the bathroom break, the shift switch, and of course the late night dozer."

A smile appeared over Roth's face as he turned slightly to face his friend. With a slight shift of his leg Roth took most of his attention away from the building and looked to Aleece. Her hair still growing back, and she seemed do be doing well from their last encounter.

"I've been coming to this place for a while now. At least once everyday since about 2 weeks after I got here. Do you know the story of the Statue of David?"

The large man in the trench coat stepped back to be next to Aleece. About two feet away, and parallel to her. He would pause for a moment to give her a little time to think. He wouldn't give her time for a complete reaction before telling the story.

"Michelangelo's father was a rich man. He couldn't comprehend to artistic ability of his son, so he beat him. No rich kid of his was going to use his hands. So he learned not to use them. A few years later a visiting prince came to Michelangelo's studio to find him starring at a block of marble. So the prince asked 'What are you doing?' and the young master turned around and said 'Sto Lavorando'. 'I'm Working'.

The Boston native looked away from Aleece and then back to the building. It was nearing completion and had some supplies currently stocked. With a quick turn of his head Roth looked back at Aleece and finished his story.

"Three years later and that marble block became the Statue of David."

A slightly larger smile grew on Roth's face. He had obscurely answered Aleece's question. He would let her catch on for a moment before looking back at the building. For some strange reason Roth saw something in that building. Something beyond rumor and mystery.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 5, 2009 1:47:30 GMT -6 »

"Well, I wouldn't say 24/7. Theres always the bathroom break, the shift switch, and of course the late night dozer."

Aleece returned Roth's smile with a slight one of her own. Someone she didn't think that was quite true because the Headmaster looked to be the type of man that wouldn't stand for something like a late night dozer or a unchecked bathroom break. When he asked if she'd heard of the story of the Statue of David she nodded slowly during the pause, and listened when he began to tell her anyways, not that she minded.

Ducking her head done she laughed softly in amusement at the way he went about answering her, "I see."

She was torn between wanting to know or not like the majority of people here was that building was going to turn out to be, what was going to be done in it and what its purpose really was. Shaking her head lightly she looked up again still smiling nonetheless and directed her gaze briefly from Roth to what laid past the fence. But she decided that a change of topic was probably in order.

"By the way I never told you the other day," Aleece said a little sheepishly as she flicked her eyes back to the tall dark haired guy, "but thanks for...helping me, ya know..."

She wasn't in the habit or business of looking for trouble or putting herself in situations that would call for her defend herself so she thought that the basic CQC training would be enough, especially practically in an area she had grown up around. Unlacing her fingers from behind her back she lifted a hand and tugged at the brim of her camouflage colored cover feeling a bit foolish that she was military but entirely unable to defend herself properly. It was a step back for Women's Lib when her train of thought ran immediately to the source of her rather powerless stance in a fight - her gender.

Aleece wasn't like most the girls around here to begin with, she was far from athletic, the only exercise she got was the required PT and running on her own violation so it was no surprise that she would be able to be handled so easily by someone. But she was trying to change that...if only by a little. The experience had definitely left her without the urge to venture out, at least for the time being feeling safer on campus...oddly enough.

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 5, 2009 19:15:32 GMT -6 »

He enjoyed telling that story. It was the only reason he told it, really. In his heart he knew that this crude looking Knox building wouldn't end up like such a masterpiece. But what he did know was that somehow by learning about it, and one day getting into it, something beautiful would come.

His focus was now drifting to Aleece. Almost immediately she changed the subject away from the building. It was good for him too. Todays work was done, another few weeks or so he might be ready...maybe. The Boston native took on a bright smile and dropped his head. A few shakes after he looked back to Aleece.

"It's what I do. I won't bore you with the story of my life, but I believe I'm here to protect whoever needs the help."

Roth turned his tall muscular body around to face Aleece. The same smile still lay on his face. After everything that he had experienced from Boston, to Philly, all the way to Chula Vista, Roth had seen himself as a shield. Along with a temper, and a wave of stupidity he truly believed tat he was here to make weak strong and defy authority. It just so happened that danger lurked at every corner, and a System was in place to add to it. Right place, right time.

"Well, I'm done 'working' for today. Any plans for this evening, and if so would you mind some company?"

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 7, 2009 22:21:21 GMT -6 »

Looking up through her lashes at Roth she smiled somewhat indulgently, feeling a stab at the fact she had to be saved in the first place. But she brushed it off, she was just going to have to live with the fact that she didn't have what it took really to handle her own, there wasn't much weight to through around with, so to say. Regardless she was thankful she had gotten out of that situation in once piece if not a little bruised up - she understood fully that it could have been a lot, lot worse.

When Roth went on to ask her plans for the rest of the evening, Aleece actually straightened full tipping her head back a little to think about it. No she couldn't honestly say she had anything planned for the day..hence the reason she had been out walking in the first place. Humming she shook her head, "I didn't have anything on the agenda."

Looking at the dark haired wrestler she shrugged lightly, "I had thought to go to the gym" At least get some use out of that thirty dollars she added to herself remembering the fee she had paid for a couple days ago, before he cheeks lit up a nice rosie hue, somewhat noticeable against her olive skin tone - remembering just who she had run into the last time she had gone.

"But I feel like having the biggest greasiest cheese burger and fries I can possibly find," Aleece went on without hiccuping in her answer to keep from lulling in the conversation. Looking down at herself she grinned a bit, "though I don't exactly want to go anywhere off campus in fatigues so..."

Fast food was a weakness and her staple at least twice a week if not more, taking a couple steps back, her smile turning a bit teasing, joking even. "Hey at least if I hang around you I know if we find trouble I won't have to worry about it, right?"

Laughing to herself she turned and started, sparing a look over her shoulder for a second before heading in the direction imploring him to follow or not...Aleece was more then curious as to why he would want to know about the building being built, but maybe this outing would provide her with enough to satisfy her curiosity. She sometimes wondered if she was to nosy...it did seem to land her in plenty of trouble...

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 9, 2009 18:58:12 GMT -6 »

The large Boston natives hand slid into his pockets where he had searched for non-existent cigarettes before. Those little sticks kept popping into his head with a yearning for a nice long drag. He always tried his best to ignore it though. Still the thought was in the back of his head. For a moment Roth had lost track of the conversation. All he could remember was the part of exercise, burgers, and the joking last part.

Immediately, Roth head shot up as a small laugh as he looked up to the sky. The sun was still slowly setting across the sky, still as beautiful as ever. The reflection of that light shined on Aleece's face in a faint glow. As such, a large shadow engulfed his body as he turned slightly again, now absent of any light.

"Well, I'm the hero of this story. I just try to keep on the down low. But in just a few days everyone here will know my name."

The last sentence echoed in a quiet whisper from his voice. He was surprised that those words came out of his mouth. But, it was true. Once he got the right equipment, experience, and a little more time there wouldn't be a soul in the Collective who didn't know The Peacemaker, and Wonderboy.

"Burgers, eh? I do know of one great place, but it's a bit of a ways from here. If you really want something that'll blow your mind I'd take the extra time to change outta that there military garb."

The same smile stayed over his face as he slowly lowered his head and took two small steps toward his small female friend. What he said though was true. Jesse's Bar and Grille had the BEST American food in the area. Small cab ride to Eastern San Diego, short wait for the food, and because of they way Roth was, Aleece ate for free and he would get a nice discount.

He 'technically' worked there part-time you could say. Jesse McIntyre owned the restaurant and the SDCFL. Workers got discounted meals when they worked for it.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 12, 2009 16:00:35 GMT -6 »

((ooc - sorry I had this written up last night...but for some reason when I posted...>_> I closed the browser before it could actually "post". I was just that tired...actually I'm still...that tired, and I am so sorry its short.))

Aleece paused for a moment when he said what he did, admittedly it was low and she almost didn't catch it. The look that had run across Roth's face, though by then the sun had sunk so low that it had cast shadows across his face when he turned to face her, made her raise an eyebrow curiously. But when he turned the subject back to going to get a bite to eat she she let a smile spread back on her face and nodded slowly getting her feet to working again.

Aleece had been looking for a truly great burger place to eat at around this area, and she didn't doubt that this place would be amazing. There were plenty of hidden dives that usually got their popularity and business through word of mouth to keep them going known mostly by those most local.

"Alright then," she started off when as she made her way causally, "I'll believe if you say this burger joint will blow my mind."

With a quiet chuckle to herself she kept going in the direction of her dorm, "and lucky you I just got paid."

Looking over her shoulder Aleece lifted an eyebrow and shrugged lightly, "hero or not, my thanks can't be enough."

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 23, 2009 10:40:17 GMT -6 »

With only a few words spoken out of Aleece's mouth Roth's mood changed from friendly to excited in a matter of seconds. He had been over to Jesse's a few times with some friends, both times he had ended up working for the meal. While showing off to his friends was all good, now he would be able to show off to a girl. The last time Roth really had anything close to any relationship with a female was with a crazy Japanese chick across the country back in where it's always sunny, Philly.

With a turn and a few spring filled steps Roth would go wherever Aleece was going. In truth he didn't know where she was going. His best guess was the girls Knox dorm to change, or something. Roth still had a nice smile on his face as he looked up to the sun quickly before catching up with Aleece. It was still beautiful. The sun set in the west toward the great ocean while his Statue of David lay in the shadows now.

"So, besides you liking grease ball burgers, you have any other interests? If my memories from eavesdropping at the barbershop and correct you have a good amount of computing skills about you."

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Aug 23, 2009 20:31:29 GMT -6 »

Aleece was indeed heading for the Knox girl dorms and when Roth caught up with her completely she looked over and smiled wider at his question/comment and she nodded. "I know a little bit about computers, yeah," she said with a faintly raised eyebrow in amusement. To say that she knew a little about that would be a gross understatement but she didn't go into just how much she did.

She worked a little bit to make her shorter legs keep up with Roth's but it wasn't bad at the pace they were taking, on the familiar path Aleece led them both on, ready to get out of the fatigues and into some comfortable civilian cloths. "I'm the computer nerd of my family," she commented with the same smile and a shrug to accompany. "My parent's don't get the obsession but they indulge me...its turned into a career choice not a hobby."

Looking over to her dark haired company she sent him a curious look, "what do you do other then keeping people like me out of trouble."

Of course she was teasing but being completely honest, the guy barely knew her and had thrown himself in front of that crazy guy to keep her out of trouble (which hadn't worked after a point) but still...She didn't think he could go around being the hero all the time.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2009 20:34:41 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top  
Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Sept 19, 2009 13:49:04 GMT -6 »

Roth now walked at a fine, yet calming pace. The evening sun just calmed everything down. There were only a few people here and there about the Academy grounds. Some still in uniform like Aleece, and others in casual dress wandering about. None of them were lost, but all at once seem to be lost in their minds. Just like Roth after Aleece had asked her question.

The Peacemaker was many things. A wrestler, a fighter, a loner. He thought about it for a minute before responding to her. It was a deep question indeed. While it may seem as a small bit of small talk, Roth took it as the question of the meaning of his own life.

"Well, when I'm not being a hero in the right place and the right time, I fight. The folks don't send me much, especially after my sisters death, so I go and earn my keep. Usually it's fighting for a company up in San Diego. Occasionally I'll get an odd job here or there, all of which involves fighting."

The smile on Roth's face slowly began to disappear. He never really thought about who he was when he wasn't the hero. All he ever felt like was the hero, but when thrown into a different perspective it seemed as if his current life was nothing but blood.

The two friends were only a few paces away from the girls dorm now. Roth looked up from the ground to Aleece with a smile. He too a small breath before continuing.

"So I'm either the Hero, or the Mercenary. Take your pick."

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Sept 22, 2009 23:17:02 GMT -6 »

The death of a family member, Aleece imagined, was always a hard thing to talk about, especially with someone you didn't know that well. Most of her own family (that would be her parents, parents mostly) lived in Chile still, and she had only met them a hand full of times in her life, and that went for her cousins, uncles, and aunts. Really, she really only had her folks, brother, and sister...and really she hadn't experienced quite what losing someone felt like.

So in light of that she kept her mouth shut not making an apology in sympathy (because if felt like it would be misplaced or just to awkward really) but glanced to the side, noticing the easy smile from before seemed to fall off his face slowly. She couldn't say she could understand on any level, personally that is, so once again she was struck with nothing to say, probably for once in her life.

However she quickly smiled herself when he looked up again, and said what he did. "The hero or the mercenary huh? Well I only know one I suppose," looking ahead of her she saw that they had arrived at her dorm at last. "I'll be back out quick."

With the promise of food it really didn't taken Aleece long to get changed pulling off her boots probably held her up the longest, but she was quick to shuck her pants and jacket to replace the uniform with a pair of comfortable dark wash jeans, her worn but comfortable Adidas, and her otter shirt.

True to her word, Aleece was done and back within about ten minutes, she didn't have much hair to pull back so she wasn't worried about that, and she didn't wear make up so, she grabbed her cell and the key to her dorm and headed out, grabbing a light hooded sweater if she needed it later. At the moment however she didn't so she drapped it over her shoulder as she closed her door to behind her and walked back out to meat with Roth again.

"All set," she said with a grin, "now where's this burger place that apparently is the best?"

« Last Edit: Sept 25, 2009 18:15:43 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top  
Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Sept 23, 2009 19:20:38 GMT -6 »

Ten minutes...ten minutes...ten fucking minutes.

Now Roth was never one to complain, but one thing he had lacked ever since he was a kid, was patience. Never had it, and probably won't until he dies at 82...or gets killed early...or gets hit by a car. The first few minutes weren't too bad. It was around the six minute mark Roth began to fidget, and by seven he was out of it.

Patience for Aleece wasn't the whole of it. He had nothing to focus on besides waiting, and the white and yellow death sticks in his pocket. Sure he had quit before, but that was hard as hell, now avoiding nicotine relapse...fuck it. By minute eight Roth stood there with a warm satisfied smile and a cigarette resting in between his lips. It was his first in well over a year.

The Bostonian had meant to throw it away as soon as Aleece came by, but she had unfortunately caught him by surprise. So he decided to keep it, but giving good distance and making sure she wasn't getting to blown in her face by him or the wind.

"Well Jesse's is only a couple miles away in East San Diego. A bit of a trek, but well worth it. As for this (pointing to his butt) I know every statistic about them, but it always finds it's way back. So I hope ya don't think less of me because of it."

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Checking it Out (open)
« Sept 25, 2009 18:38:02 GMT -6 »

Aleece had to raise an eyebrow at Roth, at what had had to say and she shook her head instead of saying anything starting off in the direction of where the nearest exit off campus was. She was hardly one to judge someone for what they did, what ever their particular vices were and if smoking happened to be his, then it was no place of her to tell him to quit.

WIth a quiet laugh to herself she glanced to the side and pursed her lips, wondering if he really thought that her opinion should matter in his habit. "I don't care if you smoke or not. Just because I'm a nerd that doesn't drink, party, fight or smoke...heck I don't even swear...doesn't mean I'm going to crucify you for doing it."

Truth be told, it wasn't like she had ever tried any of those things to say whether or not she would like it or not; she just had never lit up, or gone to a party to get drunk - and swearing...well that just felt a little to odd for her. The sentence enhancers just didn't work out for her she supposed, she thought with a small growing grin. "So please...let me stop you because you want a cigarette."

Aleece had never actually given into peer pressure and those things weren't exactly something she had ever been curious to try (for once in her life). Regardless she meant what she had said and hoped that she was just saying to say it. Generally she didn't just say things to make someone else feel comfortable or feel good about themselves. With that said and done (or at least for her) she attempted to turn the conversation in another direction.

"I don't mind the walk, actually I skipped working out today, so I'll need to exercise."