Author Topic: On the Offensive [Open] (Read 320 times)
Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 16, 2016 1:28:11 GMT -6 »

It just bounced off. Bounced right off of his stupid chest. Dude wasn't even wearing armor.

Josh had himself geared up in Underarmor that his parents had lovingly sent from home (along with a box of cookies! Mom really was the best sometimes). He did his best stretches, almost actually touching his toes today. If he kept this up, maybe he could make a decent showing at the gym and not embarrass himself in front of other agents or students. That was something of a problem with coming to Paradigm; a lot of the folks here looked amazing. Maybe it comes with the job description, but everybody was in amazing shape. Leif was basically a ninja. Josh liked to think that he had strength down pat, but Lucien was so ripped that there was no doubt to Josh that his head could be popped like a zit by the Frenchman.

Normally when Josh came to the Tutorial, it was all about strengthening his shields. Today was different. Today was about making his attacks meaningful. Josh knew that Rian fellow was durable and all; that was sort of his thing, and that was understandable. But that being the 'thing' of the enemy wasn't going to cut it as an excuse when his own powers came up short.

Josh was by no means a martial artist, but he figured he could compensate by covering a hand in a small orb-shaped barrier as he struck the training dummy, alternating hands and reforming the barrier each time. He could still only have one; two was a possibility, but if he used two, his head would start hurting almost immediately and the barriers became more brittle. It was more manageable because the shields were so close and so small but... damn it. That was another thing he needed to work on. Another day, another time.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 17, 2016 20:23:28 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

Matt enters, watching Josh strike for a while. He then pulls out his phone, looking to access the file to find out which agent this was as he reads up on him, giving a small grunt to announce his presence as he wraps up the skimming.

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 18, 2016 8:50:19 GMT -6 »

Thud after dull thud sounded off of the dummy's face. In a strange way, Josh almost felt bad for it. The poor dummy didn't do anything to anybody, why's it gotta be beat up on? A silly thought, naturally, given it was steel, padding and a bit of gel put together to resemble a human torso and head. No feelings, no flesh. It's just the human part of him that felt like anthropomorphising an inanimate object. Just meant he wasn't a psycho.

When somebody grunted, Josh stumbled mid punch. Catching himself, he craned his neck around.

"Huh?"

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 19, 2016 15:10:15 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"Training, Mr. Eichmann?" He starts strolling by.

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 0:09:18 GMT -6 »

"Yeah... yeah, I am," Josh said. His fists lowered as he turned the rest of his body around to face the person who had entered the Tutorial.

"Guess I'm tryin' to work on something different. I wish these powers would get... better, already. The only thing they're really good for is protecting people, so I need them to stop breaking. Tried my hand at punching, too."

Heh. Tries his hand. At punching. He didn't mean that one.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 22:12:23 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"That's common mistake young agents make. They think about improving their powers rather than improving the way they work with them." He walks over to him with a nod.

"What's the problem you're having, exactly?"

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 23:32:06 GMT -6 »

"Huh. You mean like, in particular?"

Josh shrugged and looked at his hands. "So like, the barriers move with me, right? So it's not a big deal if I have one in front of me or something. But for some reason, two tends to be like... a really huge problem." In demonstration of this issue, Josh raised his left fist and covered it in a teal-hued bubble.

"And like... it'll move with my hand." He demonstrated as such, waving his arm. "Which is pretty cool, since before I could only make 'em central to my body. Figured this trick out not too long ago. But like..." He raised his other fist, staring. "Can't... seem to..."

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 23, 2016 16:14:57 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"And you think you need two barriers instead of one?"

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 24, 2016 10:40:44 GMT -6 »

Josh looked up.

"Well, all I'm trying to... I mean, shouldn't I be able to?" He asked. "At any rate, it would make the whole 'use my barriers to punch people'thing go a lot easier. N' even if I don't NEED them, I feel like two barriers'd be closer to having mastery over my power, dont'cha think?"

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 28, 2016 15:10:43 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"It could be, yeah, sure." He thinks a moment before pointing two finger guns.

"But it reminds me of the two gun rule. People think it's twice the shot, twice the power. Problem is most people can't use the guns accurately and it ends up being less than half effective as if they just focused their power on one. Seems like it's the same case here."

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 28, 2016 17:11:15 GMT -6 »

Hnh. Unfortunately, Josh already knew his barriers got weaker when he had more of them out. That was the point of him constantly flexing, constantly pushing, constantly exercising. He wanted to get better, to be ABLE to have them be stronger. The older agent was just trying to give him advice but, to him, it just wasn't helping.

"Right." Josh frowned, yet nodded to at least acknowledge the tip. "Well, consider me the guy who's training to use those two guns properly." He looked down at his fists. He COULD make two already; he had done so against Mr. Antrum. Fully explaining the set of problems that came with doing that, however, seemed to be beyond Josh if this conversation was any indication.

"And as far as using just one goes... I'unno. It's still breaking when something really, REALLY strong hits them." Josh turned around and faced the dummy again.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 28, 2016 17:30:29 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"No matter how strong you get, there will always be something out there stronger. You'll have to learn to deal with those kind of threats in a different way."

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 29, 2016 2:11:28 GMT -6 »

"Yeah. That's the punching."

Josh went back to thumping the dummy, alternating which hand had the bubble. Switching it back and forth was taxing, but he thought he was getting the hang of it.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 30, 2016 15:17:18 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"I think you're missing the point." Matt sighs.

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

On the Offensive [Open]
« Mar 30, 2016 17:31:24 GMT -6 »

"Probably." Josh gave the dummy a few hard whacks.

"But if we're bein' entirely honest, I already know that when I split my attention between two shields, I get weaker. I don't need to be told that. What I need is to... y'know. Do that thing where I strive to get better so that ISN'T an issue."

Quick Reply