Author Topic: What Is War Really Like? [Dream, Savaak] (Read 339 times)
Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

In the Land of Gods and Monsters.

[send pm]

What Is War Really Like? [Dream, Savaak]
« Mar 27, 2016 23:24:01 GMT -6 »

Here Without You

The room was bright with early morning sunlight, pouring in from the window. She stood in the doorway, not sure how she got there, staring at him as he slept wrapped up in the quilt she had made him one day during the worst of the withdrawals, when the monster still had its claws deep in her soul. She vividly remembered the days and nights when she just needed something, anything, to keep her fingers busy. 

He finally stirred, turning those amber eyes up to stare at her. The smile that had touched her features since she opened her eyes faltered for a moment. How long had it been since he had looked at her? Her heart caught in her chest and squeezed.

"Hey," he whispered.

She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes at the sound of his voice, heavy with sleep. "Hey," she whispered back, her voice cracking. 

He held out a hand for her. Instinct drove her to close the distance between them and she fell to her knees at his bedside, just so he wouldn't have to move. If he stood up, he might disappear. Leaning forward, she felt his fingers, real and warm, against the smoothness of her cheek. His smile finally drove her tears to tumble down her cheeks. "What's wrong?" he asked, softly. 

She gave a shake of her head, but that was never enough of an answer for him. His smile grew as he wiped away a tear from her cheek. "No," he reminded her. "That isn't how this works. What's wrong?"

"Just... Please never leave me again."

His fingers tensed against her cheek but his smile never dimmed. She could stare at it forever. He continued the light stroking of her cheek, trying to get her to look into his gaze. She couldn't bring herself to do it. "I have to, sis," he whispered, causing her to flinch. He gave a slow shake of his head. "I don't want to, but I have to. When you wake up, I'll still be gone." 

"Then I'll never wake up!" she demanded as a sob broke free from her chest. This man... She remembered him teaching her to ride a bike, showing her everything he knew. Living without him had been the single most painful experience of her life and she didn't know how to do it any longer. She felt like her throat was closing up and she simply could not look at him.

He remained silent, waiting. He had all eternity. He could wait as long as he needed to. Eventually, she was the one that broke. She lifted her gaze to see those shining amber eyes once more. While his look had softened, he still stared at her with nothing but kindness and affection.

"You have to," he told her softly. "You have people, now... people that will miss you. People you have to protect. You have friends, battle buddies, and a war to win." Neil was the only person to know of the war that raged within herself, so she didn't quite know what he was referring to. He didn't bother to elaborate, continuing on. "You have people that will never forget you, like you will never forget me. When it's your time, I'll still be here." 

Still, she wasn't ready for that. She couldn't imagine how it would feel, losing him all over again. She let out another wracking, deep sob. "No," she whispered. "They'll be fine without me." 

He chuckled softly, fingers escaping up into her chocolate hair that looked so much like his own. "No, they won't. You know how it felt when I died? Your friends... That's how they'll feel if they lose you."

The low blow was enough. She continued to cry softly, unable to look away from the way the sun danced across his features. It made him look young again, as if he had never seen the battles he had been thrust into. 

"How... how do I know?" she whimpered at long last, after a long, long moment of silence. 

His smile only grew at that question. 

"I'll be waiting for you, little sister. I promise. But only when it's finally your time, okay? So you can't die too soon. Because I won't be ready for you." 

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 27, 2016 23:25:21 GMT -6 »

Leif startled herself awake. It was the dead of night and the soldiers all around her were asleep. She didn't take the time to see if any had witnessed her tears.

Grabbing her coat, she tossed it on and grabbed her smokes, barely making it out of the barracks before the tears started to fall. Immediately, she lit up one of her cigarettes, breathing in the poison deeply.

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 27, 2016 23:49:45 GMT -6 »

It was the crying that woke her. Restless with the knowledge she would soon be moving into Turkey didn't have Savaak up so much as self reflection towards the mission and her past performances, so when Leif started crying out in her sleep, the blonde was pulled away from her thoughts. She frowned, pushing herself to sit up on the edge of her mattress.

Should she wake Leif? The bunker was normally quite silent, but it also felt like intruding. Only after it continued for a bit did she rise to her feet and make her way over to her friend. Before she crossed the distance, however, the other agent was already forcibly awake and fleeing.

She quietly shuts the door behind her and goes after the distressed girl.

"Hey," she greets quietly.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 28, 2016 1:04:36 GMT -6 »

Leif's face was covered in messy tears and she was desperately pulling on her cigarette.

"Huh?" She turned violently, startling at the word. Normally significantly more perceptive of her surroundings, she was surprised Savaak managed to sneak up on her. She blinked a moment before forcing a smile onto her face.

"Yo, man. What are you doing up?"

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 28, 2016 1:08:44 GMT -6 »

"I could ask you the same thing." She tilts her head to the left a little, the usual smile gone. NO point; Leif looked misery had taken a trip to hell.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 28, 2016 1:10:18 GMT -6 »

She reached up and brushed the back of her wrist across her face forcefully, wiping away tear stains. She sniffled before continuing her smile once more.

"Ah. Just... dreams."

Calling them "bad" seemed like a jab against Neil.

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 30, 2016 10:49:27 GMT -6 »

"Seems more like hell than just dreams, to me." She continues speaking softly, not commenting further on the evidence of Leif's distress as the other girl tried to force them away.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 30, 2016 11:04:12 GMT -6 via mobile »

"No, not really... not hell... God, I hope not, at least."

She chuckled, but it was a dark sound. She gave a shake of her head.

"I saw Neil. My brother."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 30, 2016 11:18:20 GMT -6 »

Savaak pauses at the explanation, the comment she'd been about to say sliding to the back of her mind. The fact that it was Neil explained a lot, and her expression softened.

"A good dream, then?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 2, 2016 9:52:11 GMT -6 via mobile »

She took a shaky breath, wiping away her tears with her middle finger.

"Sorta. I guess. He told me... that I can't die yet."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Apr 4, 2016 7:50:12 GMT -6 »

"Hmm." She folds her hands behind her back, leaning against the wall with them.

"Well, he's right."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 5, 2016 21:30:21 GMT -6 »

Leif snickered, a dark sound, and a few tears fell free from her eyes yet again.

"Oh yeah?"

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Apr 5, 2016 22:21:58 GMT -6 »

"Yeah." Savaak looks up with a little smirk, noting the tone of her friend's laugh, like she didn't believe it or already believed she knew the answer. The blonde glances sideways to the other girl, nodding slightly.

"We got stuff to do here, Leiflet. And you know I'll find a way to make your afterlife miserable if you die on me out there. Find a medium or whatever and constantly ring you up until you have to come back just to tell me to knock it off."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 5, 2016 22:29:00 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Bitch, I'll spike your silly juice," she teased, seeming to lighten up again. What Savaak said... It gave credence to what her brother had told her.

"Or I'll possess Wilbur."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Apr 5, 2016 22:37:46 GMT -6 »

Savaak's eyes narrow as she looks fully at Leif, a challenge in her eyes to go with her smirk.

"You wouldn't dare."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 6, 2016 2:36:48 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Bet."

Leif grinned from ear to ear, teary eyes narrowing.

"Bitch, I'll change your music. All. The. Time. Forever."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Apr 6, 2016 18:38:14 GMT -6 »

Savaak grins right back.

"Looks like I'll have to make sure my singing's really off key if that happens, then. I can make a dying cat sound like heaven."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 7, 2016 0:14:34 GMT -6 via mobile »

Leif winced visibly through her smile.

"I'd, uh... love to hear it sometime," she said with a chuckle. "Neil was always... the same way."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Apr 7, 2016 19:02:32 GMT -6 »

"You're trying not to cringe," Savaak points out, always helpful! She grins and shakes her head.

"Just imagine, you might get it in surround sound that way." She pauses a moment before testing the waters on the touchy subject.

"Always ready to make dying cats sound like heaven, or sing for you?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 7, 2016 19:06:47 GMT -6 »

Leif had almost returned to her old self. Almost. Yet, when Savaak asked her question, her smile slowly started to fade.

"I... both, actually. We would sit outside and he'd sing to me, and he couldn't... carry a tune." She chuckled, a dark sound, and glanced down. "But he loved to do it, so I'd sing with him."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Apr 7, 2016 22:50:48 GMT -6 »

"That sounds really nice." Her smile warms for a moment before her eyes take on a mischievous light.

"Wanna practice with me?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Apr 8, 2016 17:53:57 GMT -6 »

"Practice..." It took her a moment to realize what Savaak must have been saying, and legitimate fear - something that never showed, even when she was tumbling from an air vent into open fire - crossed her features.

"SINGING? You want me to help you practice SINGING?"

Quick Reply