Author Topic: Refresh (Dillon) (Read 588 times)
Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

I'm back. Too bad for you.

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:14:03 GMT -6 »

They didn't know where to send Martin Knowles. That was a bit funny, really. The world was bleeding, he could help, and they "needed to decide" where he could do the most good.

"Go get some rest," Paul had said after their last mission, looking cool as ice while his own damn kid was out there, as if they were switching out a pitcher in the closing innings and not fighting a war. He could understand, fronts were opening up everywhere and when you have a really big gun you have to think hard about where you point it, but wasn't his place with his team? Wasn't everyone's place on the battlefield, right now, against a literal world-ending threat?

Not that it hadn't been appreciated, on some level. The ghosts of the battlefield already weighed heavy on his shoulders, and he needed to centre himself, ground himself, find the deep reservoir of calm he'd developed with now-Director Harris that let him use his powers at their best without calamity. As a teenager, nowhere near as powerful as he was today, he'd picked up and thrown a semi truck; that much sheer psychic might exerted on flesh and blood was horrifying, as he'd seen for himself. Nobody in all the world was getting out of the ongoing unpleasantness without blood on their hands, and his own were already getting far too red for his liking. A bit of peace before going back to war, and a bit of time to remind himself who he was bloodying his hands for, went a long way.

The sun was passing from the sky, tinting it like blood might water, and the shadows grew around Martin and his seat in the courtyard. Meditation, of all the things, helped, and his power gently reached out to the benches around him, slowly lifting them up and down, up and down.

They would find where his might would do the most good, and by the time they did, he would have found himself.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:20:40 GMT -6 via mobile »

It was a tickle, at first. An irritant. It didn't last long before, suddenly, a shape took form on his shoulder, peering at him with wide, unblinking eyes.

It's claws rested against his skin but he wouldn't feel pain. The pressure was light, almost like air.

Then, a voice whispered into his ear.

"Whatcha dooooooin'?"

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:29:09 GMT -6 »

One eye opened at the voice, curious, assessing. It wasn't a threat or it wouldn't be at Paradigm, but he still brought the benches gently down to earth and looked over to take in... well, whatever had suddenly appeared on his shoulder. He had undoubtedly seen stranger in all his years and all his missions and all his fights.

God, he was only in his thirties but some days, he felt positively ancient. He'd seen more in sixteen years than most would in all their lives. Still, he would give the whatever-it-is a patient smile, still sitting in the grass in lotus position.

"Mediating. Finding some peace, with all the war going on."

His voice was the same measured tone as ever. It took far more than this thing to irritate Martin Knowles.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:33:47 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Does that actually do any good?" Paw asked with open curiosity, remaining perfectly perched on his shoulder. He hadn't tried to shoo him away, so Paw didn't have a reason to leave.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:40:00 GMT -6 »

"Sometimes, yes. I'd argue it's even more important now, when there's so little peace to be found in the world."

It had certainly helped in the old days, when he'd been young and full of fire. When his heart was an engine of anger and aggression and hatred and, yes, fear. Finding peace, making peace with his ability, had turned him from a warrior with a potential nuke in his brain and a lust for revenge to a proper agent. Arguably, to a hero, but he would never call himself that. He had to find whomever had started spreading the "Black Superman" nickname and smack them.

"You're an interesting creature," he said, speaking again after a moment observing the thing on his shoulder. "What's your name?"

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:45:17 GMT -6 via mobile »

"I'm Paw. She's Dillon."

The little black and blue shadow creature nodded to the approaching shape.

Tiny and malnourished, Dillon obviously existed in her own world. Her green eyes were wide and doe-like as she looked around, humming to herself.

"She's looking for me. Shhhh~ I want to see if she can find me."

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 17:56:19 GMT -6 »

"And why's that?"

Paw didn't exactly look hard to spot if you put any effort into it. Who wouldn't see a tiny blue and black thing running around campus? Jesus, though, Dillon looked like a mess. He kind of wanted to take the poor girl in and make sure she got a nice big meal cooked for her.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:03:10 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Because she doesn't pay attention to much."

He hissed out a laugh, sounding like a cartoon. He stared at Dillon, disappearing behind Martin's shoulder as soon as she looked towards him.

The girl tilted her head to one side and furrowed her brows, beginning to walk over to him. If Martin paid enough attention, he'd see his shadow wiggling.

"Thank you," she murmured to the ground off to one side. "Paw... Paw, that's not nice..."

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:08:40 GMT -6 »

Martin always paid attention. He'd learnt that lesson long ago. Shadows, huh? Reminded him of a lady he worked with. For a long moment, he simply sat there, looking from the girl to his shadow, and back.

"It's all right, Miss. He's not being any trouble, if that's him playin' around with my shadow."

Really, he'd seen much worse.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:13:44 GMT -6 via mobile »

She jerked when he spoke, blinking as if she hadn't noticed his existence until that very moment. Dillon tilted her head to an awkward angle, looking like an owl. A very awkward owl.

"I... I'm sorry. I didn't..."

She looked back to the ground again and gave a shake of her head.

"Sorry..." She murmured, wincing. Paw seemed to have disappeared.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:17:06 GMT -6 »

"Uh?"

Hm. Still not the strangest thing he'd ever seen, but something much odder than Rach's darkness powers. Or maybe this girl was just the odd one, who knew. But hadn't Paradigm taught him not to judge?

"Nothing to be sorry about, really."

Hm. Where had Paw gone?

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:23:38 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Are you really that powerful?" She whispered, looking surprised.

She didn't try to approach him and even took a step back, as if afraid she might get attacked. Her shadow was back in place, Paw gone from sight.

"I don't mean to interrupt, sir... I-I understand if you're busy... I was just looking for my shadow."

Like Peter Pan.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:26:55 GMT -6 »

"No, not at all. You're fine, Miss."

A bit weird, but fine. Looking for her shadow, though, huh? Well, Paw vanished, and he saw she had a shadow just like anything else light touched, so by doing the math... he pointed at where her shadow was and gave her a little smile.

"Looks like it found you."

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:33:21 GMT -6 via mobile »

She jerked to look at her shadow, then pouted, crossing her arms.

"Paw. I was looking everywhere for you! I was getting worried..."

She huffed and shook her head.

"You should take a break. You must be tired." Dillon said, looking back to the ground near Martin. Then, after waiting a moment, she looked up at the man, blinking a few times.

"Then he should give you a break. That's not nice, to have you working all the time."

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 18:54:54 GMT -6 »

Huh, so definitely not like Rach's darkness power. She couldn't turn shadows into living things, even though she could make 'em solid, and she didn't have conversations with 'em last time he saw. This girl was definitely an interesting one.

Who was he to judge, though? He'd once said "hello" to someone by throwing a truck at them, long, long ago. For the moment, he just sat, occasionally glancing curiously towards his shadow, and let them "converse". At least until she looked right at him and spoke, and he couldn't help raising a brow.

"Who's givin' who breaks? Not sure I'm following."

Given how easily startled she seemed to be, he kept his tone calm and gentle, but curious. No need to send her skittering off.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 22:11:33 GMT -6 via mobile »

She blinked, hesitating obviously when he spoke to her. He seemed to expect an answer and she wasn't sure she had one to give.

"Elijah," she whispered. "You, Martin, should give him, Elijah, a break more often. All work all that..."

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 22:18:58 GMT -6 »

"Elijah?"

Who the hell was Elijah? Well, she'd been talking to his shadow, and hers was named Paw, so... well, best to go with what sounded logical. As odd as calling it logical felt. Still calm, patient and reassuring, he indicated his shadow with a little nod before looking back to her.

"Is that Elijah? I don't really know how to give my own shadow a break, no offence."

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 22:31:37 GMT -6 via mobile »

She nodded silently before turning her attention back to the shadow. She wasn't sure how that would work, either, and couldn't exactly give him advice.

"He seems to be protecting someone. He says he keeps bad things from happening. If you know what that means, maybe you can figure out how to give him a break."

Her green eyes finally focused on Martin once more, and he'd be given the opportunity to realize just how intense her staring was. She didn't blink often and looked almost wraith like, with her unnatural, white hair and placid skin.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 22:50:54 GMT -6 »

Intense indeed! Not enough to make him balk, he had seen far too much for that, but there was some power in her stare for sure. His smile faded after a moment, not displeased, just contemplating. Protecting someone, hmm? He cupped his chin in his hand, thinking about that. How "Elijah" kept bad things from happening. That one, that one gave him a hunch. Slowly, self-consciously - because really, it must look terribly silly to an outside observer - he reached down to his shadow and patted it lightly on the head before withdrawing his hand.

"Good work, Elijah. Take a break, I think I'm good."

Going off the evidence, if this was anything like Paw, his shadow was - all shadows were? - a living, aware being. So even if he had no idea what Dillon was going on about for the most part, the gesture would hopefully help a little. He was trying. And the more he dwelled on that, the more he felt he could guess what was up. Finally, he looked back up to Dillon, his face the same picture of calm as before.

"I think Elijah is speaking metaphorically, at least in part. He's talking about my own inner struggle, the way I handle my own power. I am a very powerful telekinetic, and my abilities require great self control, as well as a firm grip on my own emotions - not because I wouldn't be able to use my power otherwise, but because if I cut loose and lost control, the damage could be catastrophic. The short version, 'cause I don't like talking about myself, is there are darker aspects to myself I have locked away for everyone's own good, and he must be manifesting my mind keeping itself in check. That's my guess at least."

Or maybe that was all mumbo jumbo. Anything to do with darkness or shadows was weird shit, he'd grown to accept that.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 22:58:00 GMT -6 via mobile »

Dillon listened in complete silence, not seeming to move, blink, or even breathe while he was talking. Her head was still tilted at what had to be an uncomfortable angle, her eyes wide, and her gaze far too knowing.

Then, once she was certain he was done, she raised her hand. The shadow beside Martin would wiggle again before taking a featureless shape that vaguely resembled a man. When it's eyes opened, however, they were the same strange shape as Paw's, but completely white.

The shadow, Elijah, turned to stare at Martin, just as Dillon flopped down on the ground, crossing her legs and resting her chin on her hands.

"It seems you have a lot to work out. That might be easier if you can see the person you're talking to."

She seemed to genuinely want to help, but was oblivious to just how unnerving it could be to stare your sentient shadow in the face. After all, shadows were always with you; they knew your every secret, every misdeed. And Dillon could freely converse with them.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 23:11:55 GMT -6 »

"Uh, hi."

That had been unexpected. Martin actually blinked when "Elijah" suddenly appeared next to him, staring. Dillon's hunch that staring one's own sentient shadow in the face would weird someone out was dead on. He could feel vague discomfort crawl across his skin as he waited for Elijah to say something, anything, or at least move. But then, in a way, should he be uncomfortable? Elijah had been with him since literal day one, when he came out of Mom - in a way, the shadow was his own twin brother.

Man, if Paradigm weren't a thing, that would sound absolutely insane. This definitely wasn't where he thought his life would be when he was in high school.

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 23:24:21 GMT -6 via mobile »

Elijah continued to stare at him for a moment, but it was tiny Dillon that spoke up first.

"Patronizing won't get you anywhere. But if you're nice to him, I think it'll be okay. He seems like a good guy, if a little rough..."

She looked at the shadow, offering him a smile that softened her sunken features.

"Isn't that right?"

The shadow turned back to look at Martin, blinking slowly, before it spoke. Similar to Paw, the voice seemed to come from the very air itself, but was significantly deeper and more tired than the tiny bouncing ball of... shadow...

"I did say that I appreciate the effort," Elijah murmured.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 23:39:45 GMT -6 »

"Well, I appreciate you appreciating the effort."

Appreciation all around, yay. Patronising, though? There was the head(?) pat, but come on, he didn't really have much to work with there.

Speaking of having things to work with... he really had no idea what to say to his apparently-living shadow. This was not a conversation they prepared you for in boot camp, metahuman or otherwise.

"So, uh. I work with an umbrakinetic now and then. That's not like... awkward, is it? When she controls shadows or darkness around you? I know I'd feel kinda weird around someone who could control my body."

Dillon Miller
Student
Intelligence

Dillon Miller Avatar

The Truth is Out There

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 23:48:49 GMT -6 via mobile »

"It's awful," he muttered, though he didn't seem to have much in the way of emotion.

"I usually have mostly free will, except in regards to you. It's a miserable and painful experience."

Dillon winced obviously, frowning as she took that information in. She couldn't imagine what it must be like.

Martin Knowles
Agent Trainee
Senior Agent

Martin Knowles Avatar

[send pm]

Refresh (Dillon)
« Jun 14, 2016 23:54:47 GMT -6 »

Oh. The calm mask broke not in a big display of emotion, but in a deep frown and a sympathetic look in his eyes. He could imagine how that must feel, but mostly because of him having a bit of an active imagination. That, and he was sure it must feel like how other people would feel if moved around by his telekinesis.

"I'm sorry, really," he volunteered, after giving Elijah a moment. "I can't really tell Rach not to use her powers, especially not with a war on, but if it's any help, I could tell her not to use them on you? That's not a power I really understand, so I don't know how to make it better."

Umbrakinesis was weird.

Quick Reply