Author Topic: I'm being so sincere right now (OPEN) (Read 400 times)
๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

I'm being so sincere right now (OPEN)
« Aug 19, 2009 5:23:22 GMT -6 »

((OOC: Not expecting an uber-character development thread—In terms of “threadwhoring”, think of this as a “quickie”. This thread is pretty much open to anyone and everyone, even on a come-'n'-go basis.))

Dagny was trespassing... But she didn't care too much about it since she was testing the waters of this untapped goldmine. Young people are very impressionable, especially teenagers and college students. Since such people tend to be liberal-minded, they tend to be accepting, or at least tolerant, of the beliefs of others (if school taught them how to conform to society), so this makes Dagny's job as a faux fortuneteller that much easier and thus, a great place to find unwitting customers. It shouldn't be too surprising to find a fortuneteller on campus, right? Well... Maybe not, so this Vietnamese woman was careful in constructing a front to hawk her “wares”. In the early afternoon, Dagny found herself a nice spot beneath a tree near a sidewalk and set up a relatively small table before seating herself upon a stool. By her side was a large container filled with assorted baked goods she made at home, namely cookies and cupcakes with frosting and plenty of colorful sprinkles on them. Fixed neatly in the center on the edge of her table with a piece of tape was a large sheet of paper with the following words written in obnoxiously pink marker:
BUILDING GOOD KARMA

Offering Kind Words and Treats!

She had all kinds of “fortunetelling disguises”, but she decided to forsake them this time. Instead, Dagny dressed up somewhat like a normal individual, or as normal as Dagny can get with the way she dresses herself. Aside from her sneakers and jeans, she wore a blue sleeveless hoodie with a large red stripe lining the rim of her hood covering her head in spite of the shade she was already getting from the tree. Covering her eyes were large sunglasses. What was she doing? She was simply saying nice things to whomever bothers to come up to her, kinda like “FREE HUGS”, but with compliments, cookies, and cupcakes. She had a way with words, so several people left her table with a smile on their face (and a cookie or two) after she basically them how well they dressed or how their inquisitive nature was going to benefit them someday—Telling them what they want to hear.

Well, they do say that flatterly'll get you anywhere... So let's see how far I can get...

Of course, there were those with harder good traits to find than others, but for now, she didn't encounter them just yet.

santiago

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Aug 20, 2009 12:13:25 GMT -6 »

Santiago rolled up to the Collective grounds. Turning right at the light he passed by a girl sitting under a tree with a small stand, he didn't know what she was up to, or what she was selling but it seemed kind of interesting. While he drove he had been listening to music and smoking, so as he rolled around looking for a parking spot his car was exuding the sounds of Big L's '98 Freestyle,' bumping his head to the rhythm he found a spot near the parking lot, two blocks from the actual entrance, parking his car in-front of a house. Turning off his car, he grabbed his I-Pod, his cigarette case and his book bag.

Since he already had most of his uniform on minus the shirt and shoes, he sported a pair of white and navy blue pumas and a white tee shirt, he looked at his Movado wrist watch, (It's already nine thirty. Whatever man), he change decided he could at his locker quickly. Exiting his car he slung his book-bag over his left shoulder and shoved his I-Pod into his front right pocket, as for his cigarette case, he felt the urge to grab another, but he just put it in his book-bag. Reaching the end of the block he parked on crossed the street and walked toward the entrance gate of his school.

As he walked toward the gates he saw the girl he had seen previously, sitting down with a big sign with pink letters, Santiago read it to himself (Building Good Karma, Offering kind words and treats...What is she trying to make up for killing someone or something. Why not try it out.) Santiago approached the girl casually and asked politely...

"Excuse me miss, my I have a couple of cupcakes, I want to get one for me and my girlfriend, if you don't Mind. I'm Santiago by the way, Nice to meet you...What may I ask is your name?"

She was an attractive young woman, he couldn't see her eyes through her sunglasses, she seemed a bit high-strung though, but then again he wasn't one to judge really, he would just observe and assume here and there. He reached his hand out to shake her's, he hoped she would take it and introduce herself as well. He was always up for meeting new people, anything to make the time pass by and if he could enjoy a nice conversation then that would be even cooler.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Aug 20, 2009 18:43:00 GMT -6 »

Business, if you could call it that, was going well. Sure, everyone made a beeline for the free food first and foremost, but Dagny didn't hold it against them—What were the odds of people “seeking” compliments from a complete stranger? It sure comes off as self-absorbed, thus why Dagny was willing to build karma through charity than let the self-consciousness of teenagers deter them from satisfying their curiosity. And eventually, another student would approach her, this one being Santiago in his Fremont uniform... Well, most of it anyways, but she could still somewhat tell that what he was wearing was part of a uniform. The nice thing about this young man is he bothered to ask nicely about having an extra cupcake, unlike one or two people who just walked up without saying a word and walked away with a cookie without so much as a thank you (“people of initiative”, to put it nicely).

“Well aren't you a considerate person, Santiago? Of course you may have a cupcake for yourself and your girlfriend! You may call me Gladys~”

My friend Gladys back in San Francisco, I apologize in advance if I do anything stupid to tarnish your name.

As she spoke, she firmly shook the hand Santiago offered to her and gestured towards her... Merchandise.

“Please! I made plenty of cupcakes to choose from~ Take your pick~”

Most people felt their eyes burn when they looked at how brightly colored Dagny's cupcakes were and often turned to their only alternative that didn't feature over seven colors in a single glance... Some “cupcakes” that looked very familiar. The moment they bite into one of these, they'll be greeted by a texture none other than that of a cookie rather than a delicious and moist cupcake.

Why did she make these “cupcakes” in particular? Just to be a jerk. To help those who can't decide whether to have a cupcake or a cookie. Ain't she thoughtful?

santiago

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Aug 25, 2009 23:40:56 GMT -6 »

"I'm guessing your a fortune teller no? And why are you trying to build good karma? committed a heinous crime or something...I'm just joking, yummy snacks though."

He said as he took a big bite of his cupcake, chewing it happily, the texture was so soft and moist he couldn’t help but stuff the entire cupcake into his mouth, swallowing the remnants he smiled at his new acquaintance, he sensed a bit of a deception going on here, as he examined her quickly not making it obvious, she didn’t seem like the all around goody goody to him, so he was going to be perceptive as they exchanged words, her hand shake was firm and honest, which made Santiago think (This girl has something up her sleeve, either that or she knows how to be a hell of an actress). Hearing her say her name and compliment him his right eye brow rose (You can call me Gladys.)

“Thank you Gladys for that uplifting remark. But come now Miss, no need for deception here. I’m not a cop nor a psycho. How about telling me your actual name.”

He gazed at her causally before moving his eyes to the scenery behind her, the sky was blue with a few white clouds drifting along lazily, underneath that were tall green trees and lush grass, along with a sidewalk and street, Santiago couldn’t help but inhale deeply and exhale in a sort of relieved sigh, he wasn’t stressed, but the beauty of nature made he feel at peace. Looking back at the young woman he said…

“I understand if you don’t want to reveal your real name, but there is no need to worry, I won’t hurt you.”

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2009 23:41:48 GMT -6 by santiago » Back to Top  
๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Aug 27, 2009 4:02:07 GMT -6 »

Whuh...?

Dagny furrowed her brow with mild confusion at Santiago when he suddenly arrived upon the conclusion that she was a fortuneteller. She glanced at her outfit and she was pretty sure that she looked normal compared to the weirder things she wears, like poofy pants and unnecessary accessories... She received fortunes from average-looking fortunetellers before, sure, but with Santiago, she couldn't help but raise her brow at him in a “How'd ya figure?” kind of manner. He then proceeded to ask why she wanted good karma and guessed at why as a joke, causing her to chuckle as he ate his cupcake.

“What comes around, goes around~ I just want more good things in my life is all and I'm building a surplus of good karma so I'll have plenty to spare when I truly need it~”

And then, Santiago asked for her real name. Dagny's smile wavered... Understandably, considering her circumstances and how she's under this impression that the world is constantly out to get her for no discernible reason. She sighed through her teeth and leaned onto her elbows as she looked at Santiago through her large sunglasses.

“I don't... Really understand why you don't think my name is real, especially since I just want to earn good karma, not gain the distrust of potential acquaintances. As much as you understand how people might not be willing to share their identities nowadays, I truly understand how hard it is to trust people in these times... Figures with authority making questionably rash decisions, students being constantly shuffled from school to school whenever things 'don't work', students taking things into their own hands to 'make it work', more and more people being attracted to the lucrative likes of crime... The list goes on and quite frankly, it won't end until things get 'boring' and fixed...”

Dagny smiled brightly.

“So I'm fixing things on my end, so to speak, by trying to dispel this age of distrust with charity. People just have to trust the fact that there are some people out there with purely good intentions~”

She sucks at lying, so she always tells the truth... And everything she said checks out. Though by technicality, everyone has good intentions... It's the consequences that occur after they act upon them is what's up for debate, much like how “The road to hell is paved by good intentions”. Dagny may mean well, but she's not perfect and the world ain't perfect and things simply don't always go her way. Such is life for everyone, really.

santiago

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Aug 31, 2009 11:18:59 GMT -6 »

As she responded to him he decided to reach down and grab a cookie, he couldn't help but want to eat more, plus his munchies were hitting him pretty hard, so he needed something more to settle his stomach until lunch time. He didn't have class for a little while so he would stay and indulge in more conversation with this interesting girl, he listened to her attentively as she spoke on about her building karma, he could see why someone would want to build up good karma, (Maybe I should do the same, I've got lots to make up for, maybe I could join her, that would be cool.)

"I can see why your trying to build good karma, I can't hate on you for trying to do better for yourself. Life is just one big chess game, gotta make the right moves I guess."

His eyes drifted off a bit and he looked back up at the sky, watching some clouds drift around he thought (I wish life was as simple as the clouds are, that you could just drift along and live without much care or pressure and just concentrate on gaining knowledge and being in love...What a hassle life is.) Looking back at 'Gladys' he listened as she responded to him asking her real name, he could tell it was an alias by how she introduced herself, he wasn't to skeptical as to why she was using an alias he knew why, at time he had to use his emcee name to do certain things, so he knew how it was, when she finished he responded...

"In all honesty I think your name isn't real because of the way you introduced yourself, you said that I can call you Gladys, as opposed to saying you name is Gladys, so I assumed you were using a Alias and if your really in need to use an alias then you must be in deep shit, so I don't blame you. You don't have to tell me your real name, but I want to let you know I'm not an enemy. You can say I'm trying to build good karma as well by making friends and being a good person, so it's up to you but I was just curious to hear what I can really call you...But Gladys is fine with me, makes me think of the old singer from the 70's."

Smiling back at her, he couldn't help it, her smile was infectious, he could sense her good will and it was rewarding to see someone actually worthy of being called a good person, she seemed like she needed people to trust so he could help her out with that. He felt a slight breeze roll by and move his shirt, the cool air felt good since it was hot outside, it was hot most of the time in Cali, nothing really new about that. Taking a bite of his cookie, he heard her speak again and he nodded as she finished, smiling at her again, he chewed quickly and then replied cheerfully...

" It's good to see that more and more people are trying to make the world a better place, I'm glad to see that you can help people realize that it's easy to be a good person, it's not something that should be seen as a burden. More power to you Gladys and God bless you. You've got a friend in me, I can tell you that much...Which school in the collective do you go to?"

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Sept 4, 2009 23:53:08 GMT -6 »

Well, he got me on that one.

Dagny always had a thing with words. As a person of her word, she needed to be skilled at using them, especially since more observant people tend to use her to their advantage, patching up the loopholes she sets as escape routes and tearing open loopholes of their own to cheat in extra benefits. She's an unusual individual of honor—She'd break everyone else's rules, but not her own, making her dependable for whatever you needed her for, provided that her terms are met. Fortunately for Dagny, Santiago was a nice person. He didn't question any further in regards to her name, which was a nice change from people who keep trying to reveal her identity. The only ill-will Santiago would put upon her would be the unintentional kind... Like the next inquiry about which school she went to. Her smile wavered slightly. You know those cartoons where teenage super heroes struggle with hiding their identity or super powers? Imagine living it. Yeah, not so fun, huh?

DAMMIT. Uhhh... Which school... Dammit, them and their uniforms... I need to steal a bunch of them now... How'd it go again until I actually do my research... Henry Knox is a Catholic school, John Charles Frémont is a school for Christians, and O'Hare was for atheists... Or Scientology. Everything is always funnier with Scientology. Got it.

“I'm an O'Hare student~ Couldn't you tell?”

Oh Asians and their inability to age... To give Dagny credit, she did look more like a college student than a high school student if you looked at her long enough. That is, if she let you look at her. She turned her face away, seemingly imitating Santiago and his looking-off-into-space-ness when in actuality she was trying to “look natural” while lying through her teeth and trying to figure out how to steal uniforms for her next trespassing attempt.

Should I mug someone? Or sneak in somewhere? Hmmmmmmmm...

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

I'm The Bomb. No, literally, I blow stuff up. With my mind and junk.

[send pm]

« Sept 7, 2009 19:51:00 GMT -6 »

(ooc: hmm....yeah...uh, I'm totally gunna fuck this up now. =D )

"Fuck........godamnit! FUCK!"

The words seethed through his teeth. The large Irishmen walk about the 4 mile wide inner sanctum of the gated and barricaded prison of Chula Vista. Thats truly what it was. Nice facilities, nice equipment, painted walls, full of fuck ups, criminals, outsiders, and of course gated, shut-off from the outside by militarized guards. Riots ensued almost weekly, fights broke out hourly, but...it was still school. Something Roth could be and have fun while enjoy the few kids who weren't pure fuck ups. In other words, his exact opposite.

Roth was crushing a pack or Marbollo Menthols and a black flame lighter with his right hand. Shoved deep into the pockets of his faded black jeans lay the rolled nicotine white'orange death sticks. Roth knew every fact, every death statistic of every company in and out of the US related to cigarettes. But they were so god damn GOOD!

With a small shutter Roth looked up to the bright sunny sky. A new pair of black shades covered his iced green eyes. After a minute he looked down at the smiling face of his best friend. With a small crack of his damaged knees Roth reached his left hand over and began to pat the head of his small Boston Terrier pup. Carlos seemed to smile with his goofy tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. He was cute, but extremely hyper and vicious.

"Well boy, let's play a game. It's called lets get Roth's mind off of the smokes. Kay."

A new clean smile appeared over his face. Unfortunately for the Boston native he was about to be taken on a wild ride. All he heard was a bark, and then a powerful wild tug from the leash on his left hand. Normally Roth could control him, but now he was unprepared, off balance and now flying with his dog into the distance.

Roth had no choice but to follow and run with his dog. His mind just reacted on instinct instead off 'get smart and control your dog, asshole'. He didn't know how far he had traveled with Carlos, in fact he was having a bit of fun, until he saw the target. A table with a pink sign covered in what he could only assume was cupcakes and cookies.

*BAM*

Roth wasn't sure what exactly had happened. He blinked for a second under his black shades, felt something snare on his leg and then the familiar feeling of being sent through a table. No other movement phased him for a while. He laid there, his long old trench coat covered in delicious sweets. Roth looked over taking off his shades. He saw his dog devouring cupcakes, a student to his left in front of the crushed table, and a Asian chick, a cute one at that, sitting in a chair to his right. The last thing he saw was the sign flopped over onto his chest.

Building Good Karma

"Sorry, but it looks like my Dogma ate your Karma."

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Sept 10, 2009 2:10:40 GMT -6 »

It's kinda funny how if you take your eyes off of your karmic cupcakes and cookies for two seconds to ponder about ways to commit theft, they all spontaneously explode. Dagny was too deep in her thoughts to fully acknowledge Roth and his puppy Carlos speedily approaching her little stand, so... Yeah, she was a bit surprised enough to think that she blew up her baked goods. With her mind. You didn't need to see her eyes hidden behind her sunglasses to see how shocked she was—It was written all over her posture. And clothes. In frosting and sprinkles. Her arms and legs were drawn up as if to avoid stepping on the floor where a spider or spilled toxic waste lurked and it must've been quite a sight to the newly arrived stranger who was covered in frosting and sprinkles himself. The Vietnamese woman composed herself as soon as she saw the adorable dog munching on her treats and cooed with adoration. She just can't resist animals. Animals that aren't yours eating the stuff you're offering tends to equate to ten times the good karma you'd get from a person too, at least once you get mysticism into the equation.

D'aaaawwwwww~ Look at you~! You really like 'em, huh?”

Hold on there... A CHANGE IN SUBJECT. AN EXCUSE. ENGAGE IN CONVERSATION NOW!

She turned her attention to Roth and just had to chuckle at his comment. It was cute and he didn't look too bad either. She adjusted her sunglasses and made sure that they were still fixed to her face. All good.

“A bit of a shame since I was hoping to make a lot more people happy with those, but I suppose this means I have less karmic weight on me at the end of the day then~ Besides, why measure quantitatively when qualitatively can do just fine? How has your day been so far~?”

Andy Daws
Mentor
Swagger of a Cripple

Andy Daws Avatar

I'm The Bomb. No, literally, I blow stuff up. With my mind and junk.

[send pm]

« Sept 24, 2009 16:32:00 GMT -6 »

(ooc: Well I was going to wait on Santiago, but may as well get things rolling.)

'LOL Whut?'

The only thought going through Roth's mind. He went from walking his dog to being the destructor of karma in a matter of mere moments. He was used to going through tables, hell it was his job, but this was the first time it involved cupcakes.

"I like your attitude. Besides from ruining your little set-up here my days been pretty good so far, thanks. How about yours?"

Politeness was infectious. He was amazed it didn't matter to the odd girl in the shades that her whole stand was ruined. Most anyone else in the Collective would have him dead by now. Then again Carlos was pretty good and making people smile.

Slowly Roth caught up being careful not to smush anymore of the left over sweets. Roth loved to eat, and these cakes here looked extremely delicious. As the Boston native got up he grabbed one of the odd looking cookie-cakes and began to chow down. Holy crap were they good.

"So, is there anything I can do to help. I mean it's the least I can do...I don't want your karma to run over my dogma."

His glisten smile lit up his face as it always did. He had a way with smiling warmly to everyone and only hoped that this girl wouldn't take too much in his offering of assistance.

"I'm Roth by the way. Roth O'Roak nice to me-."

The last bit of his name was slurred as he plopped the rest of his cake into his mouth. 'O'Roak" was slurred but the rest was n't even finished as Roth immediately spat out his bit of cupcake in the direction of where he assumed another man was.

"Agghh, shit. I think I just ate a bug!"

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Oct 1, 2009 13:05:48 GMT -6 »

“I like your attitude too! The name's Gladys~ My day has been just fine, thank you for asking~”

Around this time, Roth picked up one of the less messed-up baked goods and began to eat it. Dagny didn't show it, but she was a little excited wondering what his response to the cookie-cake would be. When asked if he could help her with anything, she had to give it thought... She calculated the equivalent exchange and figured that what she'll request would be fair.

“Hmmm... I don't want to impose on you, but may you help me clean up? I wouldn't want to leave a mess behind later and inconvenience anyone heading this way.”

Or leave evidence behind, for that matter...

Her voice faded as Roth spat in Santiago's general direction after consuming one of her cookie-cakes. Dagny wanted to mention the benefits of eating creepy crawly invertebrates, but felt doing so would be in bad taste in more ways than one. She murmured quietly to herself...

“Huh... It's raining chocolate.”

Some stay dry and others feel the pain...

She pulled out a few plastic bags from under the fallen table, some empty and some just with the kind of stuff you'd expect from a bake sale like empty containers and lots of spare napkins. She took out a few napkins and approached Roth with a look of concern.

“Um... Are you alright, Roth? I know the 5 second rule doesn't really work, but if it's because there's something... Weird with my cook—cake-thing, I should be helping you...”