Author Topic: Unchattered territory (Open, Aleece) (Read 1,095 times)
trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Unchattered territory (Open, Aleece)
« Oct 20, 2009 21:22:55 GMT -6 »

No matter how forced, or how obvious she sounded when she talked and laughed, Richard didn’t seem to pick up on it. He wasn’t exactly use to this sort of conversation, and while he caught a lot he didn’t know what to look, and thus didn’t see it. So for the most part he dropped it, choosing to believe that Aleece was no longer flustered or fazed, and was as mentally tough as she seemed to be.

Walking beside her as she tucked away her hands he felt awkward as he walked military style, arms swinging back and forth. Slipping his thumbs into the bottom corner of his side pockets he started to softly pat his finger tips against his thighs, not wanting to say anything as awkward as his previous question, and felt it was better to just let the awkward silence stand, that is until he heard her little sentence: ‘I think it’s only fair….’ Oh… What an ominous feeling cutting through the air, followed by the bone crunching statement.

‘Catch up?’

“Well. That’s certainly a kind idea.” Could he have staged it any more awkward? He didn’t try to think about it, all he tried to think of was a question to ask her that wouldn’t sound stupid. Honestly he didn’t care about those usually questions such as: ‘What’s your favourite movie?’ and ‘what type food do you like?’ Those never seemed to cross his mind, instead he tried to delve back in his memory and think of a question based on something she had already told him. Rather, one came up that was based off of what she had previously asked him.

“Alright, um. Why did you wonder why I came to the collective? Is there something wrong with this tri-bundle of schools?”

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 21, 2009 16:43:20 GMT -6 »

She could have gone on to say something like - yeah she knew it was a kind offer of her, but the ill placed joking seemed entirely in bad taste at the moment, especially the way the conversation had a chance to getting back to be relatively easy going once more. Aleece hoped that he didn't think that everything he had to ask her would set her off like the one question. But as she waited for him to mull over something for her to answer she smiled a little more effortlessly, the heat on her face receding nicely.

It gave her time to really unwind after getting so tripped up. Aleece found that a great way to do something like that was to avoid thinking about the problem all together. Not very healthy, but it worked for a quick solution. Especially when it revolved around her...awkward at best, love life. Taking in a deep breath she looked up at Richard when he asked why she wanted to know why he came to the collective, and to be honest...she didn't know really.

"Well...I suppose it was just a good way to get to know more about you," she said slowly. Though she couldn't exactly answer the second half of his question just as readily. Was there something wrong with this group of schools? "Academically there is absolutely nothing wrong with the collective...they do everything the brochure says: a quality education giving the students the opportunity to build better futures..."

However, there was a lot that wasn't included int he clean cut neat little pamphlet about this place. And she had a feeling the structure that the Director had been so dead set on maintaining was going to crumble soon. With or without her help in breaking it down. Her mission of media reinforcement wasn't all together needed though the results had only caused a ripple...there were many many people connected to this place that she knew would love to see it all come crashing down.

Not exactly knowing who they were but...

"I guess you'll have to form your own opinion on this place."

trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 21, 2009 23:32:01 GMT -6 »

(Sorry it's a tad bit short. Mental block tonight. Had fun with the last paragraph though.)

“Form my own opinion, Hm. Alright…” With her answer being so carefree he was lead to assume that his previous reading on her question was a false one. Perhaps it was her wording, or maybe how he read her tone, but it just made it seem like there was something wrong with the collective in general. As though there was a secret about it that only the students knew that caused great fear. But that was just the build up of teasing brought on by his friends back in the Valley in regards to the fact that he was transferring to a school that invoked the Corporal Punishment system. All in all he had briefly worried over nothing, and now that he’d let it go he was free to relax once more.

“Well, I guess I’d have to say I like the collective.” His smile reformed as his fingers continued to lightly tap his thighs. “I mean, I met you didn’t I?”

Have you ever said something that sounded perfectly alright in your head, then it passed through your lips and you immediately thought: ‘Why the hell did I say that?’ It was probably another phenomena of man, to misinterpret their own words so cleared before saying them. He figured everyone had done this at one point or another, probably in their early to late teens, but at the moment he didn’t care if other’s had done the same, he’s the one who said it.

“Ah… I’m sorry, that sounded like a line, didn’t it?” Here’s a small room, and there’s a big pink elephant. We call him embarrassment. He likes peanuts, and no he’s not afraid of mice. What this? Ah, I see. It seems that Richard cheeks somehow reflected the color of the elephants skin and now looked like he was blushing. No… Wait, the elephants a metaphor… Or some poetry device. He really is blushing.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 22, 2009 19:37:32 GMT -6 »

Well there wasn't much that could really stop Aleece in her mental tracks other then a well placed and admittedly awkward come on. And just like Richard assumed it sounded like one, was how she took it as such. But instead of coming to an embarrassed stop she couldn't help but laugh in one of those open sounds. It was brief, short, and she cut it off not wanting him to think she was laughing at him, she wasn't at all. No, it was just so damn...normal. Something she hadn't had in what seemed a while, or so it felt like.

Aleece saw the blush he was sporting and she sucked in the wide smile that had spread across her face, as she nodded shortly. "Um, yeah that did sort of sound like a line..." she couldn't help but be honest and there was no way she could find this awkward at all. Feeling bad for laughing in the first place she could do nothing else send him a reassured look and somewhat apologetic.

"You know," she started off letting out another short breath of amusement. "I'm glad we met, too."

Aleece had to admit hanging out with Richard brought about a sense of normalcy where she couldn't find it anywhere else. He didn't know what had happened to her and he wasn't talking to her or looking at her with the constant knowledge of knowing either. By this time they had almost reached the parking lot, a vast asphalt expanse with cars dotting the open space.

trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 23, 2009 0:43:00 GMT -6 »

He made her laugh, in the very least that had to be worth some points out of the awkward embarrassment that had ensued. At least she was understanding about it, and rather then poking fun at him like he was so prone to having happened, she seemed to try and encourage him, or cheer him up, or something else along those lines that fell on the right tracks of his mental thought. With her reply though he couldn’t help but smirk, not out of embarrassment, but from holding back a corny joke that he knew would be out of place. Taking a deep breath he cleared his mind of the bad jokes and the sour taste they’d leave and stepped onto the asphalt with Aleece, starting to wonder if they were going to walk the entire way.

“Keep walking from here, or do we use one of the Collective town shuttles?” This was something he was honestly interested in. He didn’t know where they were going, other then the name of one of the most popular convenience stores in North America. He didn’t know if they had one on campus in the multitude of shops, or if they’d have to head off grounds for the delicious week old corn-chips smothered in artificial cheese and hot chilli. Hm… Put like that it doesn’t seem as appetizing… Head off grounds for the delicious nachos of the famed 7-11… Sure, sounds a little bit like a lie, but that’s only if you don’t frequent the over priced 24hour convenience store.

As he listened to Aleece’s answer on their near-future mode of transportation he briefly began to stare up into the far away blue sky. That’s to say he didn’t look up, just didn’t focus on the ground, buildings, pathways and nature in front of him. Rather he looked towards the faded white clouds breezing across the blue sky, trying to form a shape of them in his mind, but coming up with nothing other then: ‘Hm, it looks like a could… or… Sand? Blowing across the road… Looks nice though.’ Laughing at himself, on the inside, he decided to figure out where they now stood on this whole question debacle.

“So… Are we even yet for questions, or should I keep trying to think up some more?”

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 25, 2009 22:37:12 GMT -6 »

Aleece was glad to see that Richard had relaxed and hadn't taken her laughing offensively, because that was the last thing she had meant to do. Even if he didn't understand what he had done or was providing by just being...normal - awkward shyness with adolescent humor included- she appreciated it. But she wasn't going to go off on that unknown tangent to break the mood by any means.

Faintly, with one hand, she gestured to the direction of the gate "we can walk it...I mean if you don't mind. I'm not really a fan of the bus."

That much was true, along with the fact that she wouldn't be coming back on campus for the night. She would already have to suffer through catching one at the bus stop closest to the convenient store afterward. The sudden thought of her apartment almost made her falter - she would text Ari later she supposed...

While Richard was lost in thought of what to say next, Aleece stuffed her hands into her hoodie pockets and tried to bring her train of thought back on now instead of later. She was jostled back to the conversation when she heard the question from her current company, which she was quick to answer, "I think you have a couple more questions till you're caught up."

Her tone was matter of fact but she didn't lack the small grin which had settled on her face quite easily at this point.

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009 22:39:54 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top  
trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 26, 2009 23:05:53 GMT -6 »

(Short, sorry, but I seemed to have hit my mental block for the night, and this thread doesn't deserve to wait.)

“No, no. Walks more then okay. Just wondering.” So, crowds and anything that could possible hold a group of people – other then a classroom, possibly – made her feel a tad bit uncomfortable. Of course, he didn’t know this for sure but he’d made the assumption after seeing her reactions to the track field, training after school, and now the bus. And while he had his own embarrassments, the crowds didn’t bother him. What did was trying to think up something on the spot, and since he was given the push of having to think up a couple more, he’d fallen silent.

He didn’t know what to ask, he’d asked about the school and if she was in a relationship. Besides those two seemingly obvious and off the top of the mind questions, nothing else came to mind. He held no curiosity, not towards her view on politics, mostly because he was fifteen: What fifteen years old cared about politics? Exactly. He didn’t think asking about her favourite movie qualified, nor did her type of music because he’d already scrolled through some of her Ipod. So it came back to his past conversations, and he figured the best way to take the attention off what he needed to say was the give her something she’d - hopefully – have a lot to say about.

”Alright. You asked about my family, I figure it’s okay to do the same. So, do you have any siblings, and what about your parents? Are they in town, or is there some story behind you dorming it up?"

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 1, 2009 14:13:50 GMT -6 »

They walked for a little ways in silence, not that Aleece particularly minded, it was comfortable and not pressing, and she didn’t find it at all awkward when the silence dipped between them. Her mood had picked up considerably in the last few minutes taking the walk with Richard and liking the way he imposed normalcy on her. It really was what she needed over anything. The sound of their shoes scraped and tapped out quietly against the asphalt, the flow of people here considerably less then on the path in the school park or else where.

When he seemed to finally come up with something to ask her she gave a half grin and looked over, finding the question neutral, as well as somewhat safe since she had no problem talking about her family. They were just about as average as she was, she’d have to say. “Well, I grew up right here in California. In Chula Vista, actually.”

The answer as to why she would possibly be living in the dorm instead of the house she had grown up in? Simple…independence. She grappled for it almost desperately and had for a while now. Aleece wanted to show her parents that she could make her own decisions, what teenager didn’t after all. So after a lot of convincing and deliberating and tell them of grants living aids she finally was able to get the dorm, essentially moving out.

“And as for why I’m in the dorms instead of at home…nothing really complicated other then the fact I wanted to.”

Aleece didn’t want to give the impression her home life was bad, quite the opposite really, if anything she had been a sheltered girl with anything given to her when she asked for it, but she was far from spoiled. “I just let my parents know that I want to enlist when I graduate and doing this…in this sort of military environment will benefit me better then going into something I plan to make a career blindly. Not only will I already have a head start, I will be illegible for promotion first in.”

Giving a small gesture and tipping her head almost thoughtfully Aleece took a small breath to continue, “I don’t have the mentality for the military really…why not let myself get used to it before hand and while at this point I still plan on joining…that could change between now and next year…ya know?”

trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 3, 2009 20:55:22 GMT -6 »

As they walked along the grounds he nodded in understanding to her words. He’d thought about joining the military as well in order to follow in the foot steps of his father, but this was back when he was younger. As for now he wasn’t quite thinking of what he’d do later on, especially given that he was so far south of his home, where he’d first apply when he returned. In truth he thought about attending the military academy in the collective, to see what he was getting himself into, but there was a small conflict with his citizenship. Having a two-year student visa to live in California with his father he wasn’t given permission to attend anything that could be considered a tactical training facility of the US Government. While it seemed unlikely that they were using a high school to try and make super soldiers, the end result was in fact the same.

“Hm, that’s weird. I thought about heading into the Military after school as well. But, that’s because you only need a grade 10 education to apply. I figured I’ll do three to five years then quit and start working wherever I can get a job after the governments done training me. It’s like going to college, and being paid at the same time.”

He injected a little smirk at the end of his small spiel. He thoroughly enjoyed the fact that the Canadian government would pay you once you take the pledge and start on your way to becoming whatever you’d chosen to learn. It kind of seemed like they weren’t just paying you, but giving you an education at the same time.
He wasn’t so patriotic that he felt it was his duty to serve in the military and fight for his country. He fully supported those who did, but it wasn’t for him. He didn’t burn with the desire to combat the countries enemies in foreign trenches. Hell, he wasn’t even sure if they used trenches anymore, or if they just flew overhead and bombed the hell out of everyone.

“Were you looking into any trade? I’m guessing you would’ve steered away from being infantry.” He hadn’t even thought of the little game they’d formed of ‘shot for shot’ in question form. He was just generally intrigued and curious, probably because it had something of interest towards his own life. Call it self-centered if you want, but guys literally have one-track minds.

At ease he comfortable pulled his tie out of his pocket. He’d been wondering what to do with it since he stuck it in there, and finally he came to a decision to get it out of the way and out of his pocket. Tossing it behind and over his neck he let it hang down like a scarf before tucking it half under his collar and half under his coat. He mainly didn’t want it to slip and fall somewhere that he couldn’t find it. So there it remained, snugly hung around his neck, secure but loose.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 23, 2009 12:08:04 GMT -6 »

Aleece smiled up at Richard as he talked about joining the military. She herself wasn't patriotic enough to say she joined to serve her country, she just wanted the free education and the housing and the paycheck every two weeks while she got what she wanted to to hopefully set a future for herself she wouldn't otherwise be able to get. While she was realistic and knew that things changed she was one of those people that had their next five to ten years planned out. A general scope of what goals they wanted to accomplish and so on.

However she was far from organized and things in her life were almost chaotic at times, so she couldn't be for certain, like she had said, what next year would bring no less five years from now. Regardless, she couldn't agree anymore with Richard. It was the sole reason she was bothering with any of this. After the small dip of silence and he asked her what she was going to go in for she smiled again and gave a small shrug.

"Yeah, no I'm not going into the infantry, in fact I won't be joining the Army at all...I'm going for the Air Force so I can be a Network Intelligence Analysis." Her tone was quieter but matter or fact, like that was the only thing she could possibly be good at. She had read up on the enlisted job and done as much research on it as she could before decided for certain that was what she wanted to do. But there was no getting around it was some complicated stuff, and while she was dedicated and worked hard on learning anything she could...she was a little worried she wouldn't be able to get it. After all there was still her ASVAB and the need to score well on that...very well.

Clearing her throat Aleece looked over and up at Richard as they made their way across the parking lot, noticing that they were almost to the gate, past most of the crowd and that even a shuttle had exited some ways ahead of them. "And what did you want to do in the military? What kind of training?"

It was another topic that was easy for her discuss something of interest that would probably never allow for conversation to go awkward or silent at the worst possible time. So she felt more then willing to talk about anything and everything regarding it with no reserve.

trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 24, 2009 20:45:21 GMT -6 »

He grinned down toward Aleece; her question was so straightforward but help plenty of possibilities. He should know, he’d asked basically the same thing, but it didn’t bring him any negative thoughts, only brought him back to the Canadian Military Forces website page and how many listings there we’re. He’d barely looked through half of them before he just started to randomly click, and after that it was a matter of looking at the curriculum for each course before he read on further.

“Well, the one thing I don’t want to do is make a career out of it. I figured with my grades it’s a good form of training and work all combined. So while I’m not particularly focused on one goal like you, there are a couple that seemed interesting.” Taking a breather he looked around, taking in the changing scenery as they moved on past the parking lot and up toward the gate. “I’ve narrowed it down to three choices, Ac-op, Linemen, and Combat Engineer. All three have more ‘civilian prospects’ for jobs, so they seem like good choices.”

Still just being fifteen years old his interests were bound the change over the years, but that mattered little to him. As long as he could continue to train he’d make it through life. He didn’t see ‘jobs’ and ‘work’ like everyone else. To them it was their life; to him it was just a way to pass time before getting on with his life. So what if he had to take three to five years off from the main goal in order to be better prepared, he wasn’t on the ‘live fast, die hard’ road of life. He wanted to take his time, as it all passed by way to quickly.

“So, you just have the one choice?” He asked, disregarding whether or not she knew what any of his future selections meant. He’d explained them so many times his mind just assumed everyone knew, and so he never delved into it. “You going to toss all your eggs in one basket, or is there a back-up plan?”

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Nov 25, 2009 1:37:09 GMT -6 »

Well Aleece couldn’t say she knew what any of his choices was other then maybe a Combat Engineer, just off the top of her head, and what she knew of the military in general. But she couldn’t say she knew a thing about the Canadian government so…she’d just be taking a stab in the dark on what they really were. However she would believe him if he said they were geared toward more real life available jobs.

It didn’t at all surprise her that not everyone had everything set in stone, even if her plans were what she intended to do and wanted to, she new there was a possibility of that changing. But there really wasn’t any other option for her and she shook her head slowly when he asked her if she had any back up plans. “Basically I’m just want the bonus of fully funded college to use, and while I wait on that, I’ll do a job I think I can be relatively good at, or probably enjoy.”

She was sure that there was no room in the common placed word as a Network Intelligence Analysis it was something interesting and dealing with the skills she already had. Aleece smiled a little not knowing if that was a good thing to say…it certainly didn’t sound patriotic to admit it out loud. Giving a small laugh she rubbed the back of her neck and went on, “I mean I’m honestly not looking for life skills from the military…I have plenty I think.”

After all what was four to six years of your life when you got benefits?

If she didn’t decide to join the military there was always a scholarship she could try and earn, anything that wouldn’t require her parents help. It wasn’t that she didn’t want their help but she didn’t want to burden them with it…she felt like this was a choice she could see out on her own. Dropping her hand she gave a small stretch by lacing her fingers together in front of her and hunching her shoulders a bit. “So what made you decide to consider the military after you graduate? And why not attend Knox?”

Though, she supposed she could see someone like Richard, with the temperament and personality he'd portrayed so far, actually doing well in the military. Or...she hadn't been given any reason yet to think he wouldn't anyways.

trithardt

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 2, 2009 0:56:37 GMT -6 »

Richard found Aleece’s confidence towards the future a refreshing reassurance, especially when he took into consideration the notions he’d recently through trying to figure out what he was going to do, and how he was going to accomplish his goals. While she had, or at least believed, she had life skills – something he couldn’t doubt in any form given that he didn’t know her well enough – he was on the other side of those tracks. He didn’t believe he had to many life skills, unless this was the age of cowboys and Indians, or back in the feudal times of Japan, then he believed he would’ve lead a good – but probably short – life.

“Well, unlike yourself, I don’t really posses any life skills. Being able to make someone tap-out isn’t highly regarded on college applications. And with my grades, the Military’s looking like one of the few options except for minimum wage at sixty to eighty hours a week trying to pay the rent.” The idea gave him a slight chill, seeing as he currently worked zero hours a week when excluding school, so going from that to a basic, menial job at eight dollars a hour and you find yourself craving something better.

“As for why I didn’t go to Knox, well that one’s actually on my pops. I haven’t really told him that I’m planning to join the military, so he put me into Fremont High instead. I’m not going to complain though, if I did a few years at Knox I might be to sick of the military to even think about joining up. But, there’s also probably some sort of legal complications with me being Canadian, joining an American Military Academy. Don’t know for sure, but it sounds hinky.”

That’s right, he just used the word hinky. With no true definition, it was hard not to find a use for the five-lettered word. Winding down from his mental build of a web of thoughts he zoned back in on the issue, wondering furthermore if he actually answered her question. He started to gaze off into the space in front of them, walking beside her with his hands tucked loosely in his pockets as he went over what he’d said, and tried to remember what she’d asked.

“Hm, I guess I did answer your questions.” He said, his tone soft as though he was speaking only to himself, but audible enough for Aleece to hear. Wasn’t on purpose, just another small trait he shared, maybe later on he’d be diagnosed with an acute case of multiple personality’s, but that wasn’t likely.

Gaining his bearings he looked around, wondering just how far away this 7-11 was, his stomach was starting to rumble and he was contemplating whether or not to buy more then just a vitamin water and a power bar. Those infamous nachos were starting to sound pretty good drizzled in a thick layer of the cheese and chilly.