Author Topic: Explanations and Apologies [Aleece] (Read 343 times)
aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

Explanations and Apologies [Aleece]
« Oct 28, 2009 20:08:41 GMT -6 »

His head resting against the glass of the car window, he watched the levelled grounds rise into buildings and neigborhoods as they drove from the airport and his mind drifted once more as he recalled the last month...

A month earlier...

Normally an exuberant and oft-thought of as energetic youth, Aroon sat with a stunned visage as the phone in his hand sat, call ended. Immediately the last things said to him took first priority as he shot from his bed and tossed a bag into his place. Sweeping his drawers open he pulled out a few handfuls of clothes and stuffed them in somewhat haphazardly...

"We need to leave on the next flight to see him, the doctors are sure he'll be alright but we need to leave NOW, son!"

Even with the words ringing in his ears already, his pace picked up as he hastily gathered his effects together for the flight, thankfully finding his passport where he'd left it on the first day of classes as he stopped for a moment, forcing himself to compose his thoughts. His mind was overprocessing things and he could already feel the headache kicking in as a result, so after a few seconds of deep breaths he considered things. Classes would be a simple matter to deal with, his parents would speak with the school about that...

"Jinn." he said aloud, and with a glance at his dresser he picked up a piece of paper and pulled a pen from one of the open drawers, scrawling a quick note to his room-mate that he was going to be away for a while. He didn't want to discuss, let alone mention, what had happened with anyone...That could be done when he got back, whenever that would be.

Glancing quickly he checked he had everything he needed before zipping the small travel case closed, pocketing his passport and keys, rushing from the room and to his car. In a blur of coherent thought he pulled out and onto the roads, his foot a little heavier on the gas than it should have been as he headed for the highway. Almost as if by surprise, and rightfully so considering the gaggle of thoughts that had overtaken his mind in the last half-hour, he fished in his pocket for his cellphone and began hastily typing a message.

~Aleece, I'm sorry but I need to go away for a little while. I'll be back in a couple of weeks I think, I can't explain right now but I promise I'll tell you everything when I get back!
Aroon. xx~

Tapping on her number, he sent the message figuring it explained things clearly enough, completely oblivious to the workings of the female mind and the implications the message sent at the moment...Still, he'd promised her an explanation, that was something that one way or another he'd give her....

Returning to present...

A sigh left his lips as he recalled things like that message, only after he'd boarded the plane and really had time to sit and retrace his mental steps did he think about the way it would look to Aleece...They'd spent the best part of two months in a mental game of cat and mouse with each other, culminating in a rather...eventful evening in the dorms, only for him to 'mysteriously' vanish without a proper explanation.

Yeah, Aroon knew he was pretty much dead meat for that one. He'd already tossed another message to her as soon as they'd stepped off the plane asking her to call him, though that one had gone unanswered. Odds stood that he'd have to wait and catch her in person....

He decided to chance it and pulled out his cellphone for the second time in as many minutes, tapping through the (surprisingly short, he noticed) list of contacts and dialling Aleeces once more...It rang through this time, and with a small sigh of relief he heard her voice respond at the other end.

"Aleece! First, please don't hang up, second, I promised you an explanation, and if you're not busy right now I'd kinda like to give you that...Would you be able to meet me in about an hour at my dorm building?"

He spoke quickly, hoping that, even if she were angry (and part of him was fairly sure she would be), she'd be driven by whatever degree of curiosity she had to find out his explanation...

After all, curiosity did kill the cat, the Thai simply hoped that, as the proverb went, satisfaction would bring it back.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 28, 2009 20:51:37 GMT -6 »

Aleece had just finished a bowl of ramen noodles, the highly unhealthy, sodium loaded and completely bad for you product enough to make her full for now, though she knew it would be superficial, and hunger would be growling at her stomach soon enough. She had completed a few essays due the next day at school that she had been putting off for a week now, and as unwilling as she was to do them in the first place she was even more unwilling to let her grade slip.

Currently she was debating whether or not to grab a shower and crash early as she sat at the small kitchenette finding the silence somewhat oppressive. As she hauled herself up air was cut in two by the ringer of her phone, the vibration of it rattling against the wood and she leaned on her hands on the table to hover over it, looking at the display without touching it. A recognizable face appeared in the window, dark haired olive skin...Aroon.

She remembered taking the picture currently used for when he called to alert of the contact, he wasn't grinning but smirking and she couldn't stop the skip in her pulse at the suddenness that the ring tone played a few times. However, she picked it up, remembering clearly that text she had gotten suddenly from him just after that night in his dorm. It had been abrupt, unexpected and the first thought she had, had was that she hoped everything was fine. But then she had been left to stew, sort of simmer in her own doubts with no word after that until now...it wasn't hard for her subconscious and imagination to play with her quite harshly.

Especially now.

She had gotten his second text earlier, but she didn't like texting and being right in the middle of her school work she had completely forgotten that she had thought to herself she would call him when she was done, until now. Flicking open the phone she pressed the receiver to her ear, "hello?"

"Aleece! First, please don't hang up, second, I promised you an explanation, and if you're not busy right now I'd kinda like to give you that...Would you be able to meet me in about an hour at my dorm building?"

She was almost surprised at the way he said her name, but sank back down in her seat as she listened, nodded and giving a small hum to let him know she was listening, remembering his brief promise to explain things. Aleece's eyes darted to the microwave clock, the green digital numbers glaring at her to show it was almost five. It was only natural that her gaze wondered to the window next seeing that it indeed...was getting that late.

Without saying anything for a minute took to worrying the inside of her cheek, "um...well I'm not busy, but what is this about Aroon? Can't you talk to me about it over the phone?."

Her tone was a little quiet, no need to be loud after all, and tried to keep in a sigh. She didn't want to come across quite like she had, but she was had fallen into a completely different routine and the idea of going on campus after the sun set, made it feel like someone was walking all over her grave.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009 21:17:40 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top  
aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 28, 2009 21:09:58 GMT -6 »

Mentally he nodded as she spoke, and he sighed quietly as he pondered his response for a second or two. By all rights he knew he had no place to expect her to come running if he asked, but while he could easily tell her what had happened over the line, he would rather do so face to face. Still, all things taken into account he had to give her something.

"...It's not that I couldn't, Aleece, but that I'd rather talk to you in person. I know I've no right to ask you to show up, but I'd really like it if you could..."

For a few seconds he paused, his eyes closing as the reasons began to come back to the forefront of his mind again, and he spoke with a slightly rougher tone than before, "My brother was in an accident back home, we had to get back to Bangkok as soon as possible and--"

Once again his train of speech broke as his brow crushed and his eyes tightened under his lids, and he stole a slow breath to calm himself, "Look, I know I messed up with that message I sent you before, I didn't even think about it at the time, but I really would like to talk to you in person. Please, Aleece...."

He gave a slow glance at his watch, noting the time and knowing that classes had been out for at least a few hours now, part of him just hoped she wouldn't hang up on him, the rest of him waited with bated breath for her answer.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 28, 2009 22:12:55 GMT -6 »

Aleece didn't think she was prepared for the excuse he did give her, which in all reality was plausible, it answered a lot without answering anything really. The fact that he had practically dropped off the face of the planet, for emergency family business made a stab of guilt shot through her gut and she let out a breath. She could probably think up about a half a dozen excuses to give him to not meet him tonight, she could hear in the timbre of his voice that he was tired, probably jet lag, and that he had been under some kind of stress.

She didn't necessarily think Aroon was being untruthful with her, and she had a couple more hours yet until dusk set in - ready to give way to night fall. Ultimately it was her need to know what had happened, and the way he had asked. There was just something completely, uncharacteristic in that almost pleading please. She had stayed silent through all this, what he had to say, and she had stolen a look around the apartment, or as much of it as she could see from her spot.

Ari wasn't here, so there was no need to let him know, or answer any questions - the only thing that keeping her from going was that she would be alone for the better part of of her walk on campus until the boys dorms. Of course she knew where it was, that wasn't the problem...

"Alright," Aleece finally said, slowly but standing as she did once more pushing the chair back slightly as she made her way across the living room to the bedroom. "I'll uh...be there as soon as I can."

She said all that while perched on the edge of her bed and she bent over to pull on her shoes, already in normal street clothes, having changed when she got home. When she got Aroon's okay and they exchanged goodbyes she flipped the phone closed and stood. The well worn, faded and slightly ripped jeans she had on would have to be good enough to go out in as well as the vintage human rights teeshirt she wore at the moment. Brushing a hand back through her loose hair she mad her way back out of the room, snagging her keys up from the coffee table and made sure to lock the door on her way out. Her ID, bus pass and phone were tucked away in her back pocket. At the stop she only had to wait for a good five minutes before the public mode of transportation came to an idle stop at the covered waiting area.

From there it was another twenty minutes before she was dropped off at the bus stop nearest the collective and walked it the rest of the way. The day was still early enough the campus parking lot was full and the sight of people milling about doing God only knew what filled her vision. It set her at ease at least and she made no more hesitation to head straight for the guys dormitory. Maybe it was the fact she didn't know what to expect really, what sort of reception she was about to receive but the trip there didn't seem to take long at all and she was soon standing in front of Aroon's door.

All to which, she raised a hand and lightly knocked on, waiting for a response as she glanced to the side...

aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 28, 2009 22:47:32 GMT -6 »

"...Thank you, Aleece. I'll see you soon, then."

After a brief exchange of goodbyes, awkward as they were, he closed the phone over and pocketed it once more, massaging his rather tired eyes somewhat as he leaned back in the sedan...They were less than half an hour from Chula Vista, that gave him plenty of time to get home and shower before Aleece was hopefully due to show up. For the meantime, he closed his eyes and let the sunlight fade from his vision...

A little later...

He'd woken up a block or two from the dormitories after a nudge from his mother, and now standing at the tail end of the sedan he slung his case to the ground at his feet. With a promise to drop his car off for him in a few days, they exchanged quiet goodbyes before getting back into the car and slowly pulling away with a wave.

He exhaled slowly as he spun on his heels, walking to the front door for his building as he towed his case idly along. By his watch he had around thirty minutes before Aleece was due to show up, just enough time to shower and re-dress. Flying drained the Thai enough, and spending twelve hours in a seat, albeit an admittedly comfortable one, was enough to leave him half asleep even as he walked...

'A shower will do the job just fine....' he thought with a small smile as he made his way off the stairwell onto his floor, and pushing the door open he paused for a second as he saw the girl standing outside his dorm room. The short furrow of his brow broke as he paced toward the door, a quick glance at his watch before she would notice him too.

"Uhm, hey...Sorry if you've been waiting long...." he began, before tilting his eyes away from her. He still harboured a little guilt for the abrupt departure, and he masked the action smoothly by rummaging in his pocket for the door-key, "You're a little early, I wasn't expecting you for another half-hour..." he added as he moved toward the lock, pushing the door open and stepping in, holding the door open to let the dark-haired girl step in herself. A flick of his wrist was enough to swing the case under his bed, and he stood for a moment opposite Aleece before leaning against his dresser.

"Look, before you say anything I need to apologise to you. It was a completely dick move to vanish like I did. If I'd thought a little clearer I'd have left a note with my room-mate for you, or actually called you for that matter...It's no excuse, I know, but it's been nagging me since it 'clicked'."

His eyes hung low, his shoulders a little hunched as he braced his palms on the edge of the aging, half-polished wood, and he made himself look up to see the expression on her face...

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Oct 29, 2009 8:33:23 GMT -6 »

When Aroon hadn't answered, Aleece had been more then tempted to leave. She tried to think back to the call where she had assumed he was already at his dorm. "An hour..." she muttered to herself as she slid to the side so her back was flush against the wall and pulled out her phone to check the time - she had gotten here about half an hour after hanging up with him and she lifted a hand to rub at her eyes. It was obvious at this point that that he wasn't here and probably wasn't going to be for some time, maybe.

This was becoming a problem, she wasn't thinking all that clearly lately and it was winding up with her making small mistakes. Even now, when everything was settling into a relatively normal routine for her, Aroon's call had thrown her for a loop, in all honesty she hadn't expected it, or seen it coming, hell she hadn't even been thinking about it. It seemed she didn't have to wait much more longer though because she heard someone coming up, the hallow sound of a suitcase on wheels being pulled along after a set of feet.

It was the sound of his voice that drew her eyes up and her mouth opened at the sight of his luggage, instantly feeling bad along with a touch of stupid for rushing over. Yeah, don't look desperate or anything, Aleece... Now that she was looking at Aroon instead of just talking over the phone, she could see how tired he really was and she only followed him in as far as to the door, hovering just inside it as he stashed the suitcase.

"Sorry, I thought..." she let her sentence fall off there not finishing what she "thought", and instead gave her head a small shake, "do you want me to come back? I can go...."

However, she smoothed her hands over her own arms she crossed them, as she listened, after the first initial glance at him her eyes just didn't seem to make it back up to his face, instead settling right about chest level.

With his apology her brow twitched together as she gave a small frown, and she couldn't say she harbored any ill feelings of being seemingly dropped over the way he left - but now, like several times before, she couldn't exactly blame him. They hadn't been an item before, despite anything that had happened. Still she didn't say anything to that, rather couldn't...this was awkward at best. One thing was for certain - she did...still did like Aroon, probably why she was here now, but it was clear she was keeping her distance, and not because of him having left. Aleece understood he must have been tired and from he had told her, stressed, but why did he have to look like that at the moment? Like he was ready for her to slap him and walk out or something...

...she had a theory on violence, apparently she wasn't good enough with it. So hugging her arms tighter to her she turned her head, her eyes cutting to the side and landing on his bed. Damn.

"Its fine," she finally breathed out when she let her gaze wonder up the wall, but was it really? Hardly. Aleece was pretty sure he didn't have a clue what was going on here lately, especially with her, and...if she could keep it that way, that was how she preferred it.

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2009 12:36:16 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top  
aroon

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 15, 2009 19:45:52 GMT -6 »

"--No!" he shot quickly, perhaps a little too quickly, as he paused and cleared his throat with a faint smile tracing on his lips. "No, really, it's alright. I can take a shower later. Trans-continental flights don't really do much to exert the energy after all....".

By now, the pair had traversed inside the room and he had slung his case down at the foot of his bed, leaning against his drawer-set with his arms hooked across his midsection in a wary yet relaxed posture...He'd been away long enough to know that his apology had to be worth something, and the very least he could do from here was 'look' like he was sorry....

"Aleece, my brother was in an accident back in Bangkok, he was out with a few of his friends after a game for some food or something, and a cab just smashed through them...The driver was high on something, at least that's what the police are saying, but he was fairly lucky. He got away without any lasting injuries...."...

It might've seemed like a deliberate dramatic pause by the Thai youth, but he literally stopped for a single breath before he continued on, "When we got the call from our family's physician it wasn't even a matter of thought, my mother had us moving to the airport in a matter of an hour. I'm sorry, again, I know it probably holds little water now, but I really do like you, Aleece. I just hope that you'd be willing to let me show that without any interrupted disappearances once again...."

Smiling lightly, he pushed off of the dresser via his thighs, standing a few feet from her but lowering his hands as they slipped to nestle in the pockets of his cargo pants, "Miss Fontecilla, would you like to join me on a second 'First date'....?" he jibed slightly, a trace of humour in his voice as he watched for her reaction...The worst she could do was tell him to go fuck himself for bailing on her, and he'd live with that, but he really was crossing his mental fingers here.

aleeca

Guest Avatar

[send pm]

« Dec 15, 2009 20:30:30 GMT -6 »

If the mood for her hadn't been so strained and awkward Aleece might have found the humor in his sudden outburst when she suggested just coming back later. But as it was, she merely nodded and shifted her weight from one foot to the other as she stood just inside his door, her eyes flitting back to look at him properly when he started to explain the reason behind his sudden disappearance. Really she hadn't been expecting an explanation so the severity of it and what it had to deal with made her forget for a minute her own discomfort for the situation.

"Well, he's alright...right?"

...And like that she found herself ducking her head again an all to familiar heat working its way back up her face at his confession about liking her. Of course she had assumed it before and had hoped that was the case before he left, but it had planted doubt when he had gone, however...there wasn't a way she couldn't see the reason behind it now. Aleece realized pretty quickly that he had just asked her out and that he was waiting for an answer. There was at least three good solid reasons she might possibly turn him down, more if she thought about it hard enough. Just the way he had asked though...

Looking up again with a quirk of her eyebrow and a twitch of her lips she seemed to deliberate it for longer then necessary, probably seemed to let him hang in uncertainty. Really she wanted to say yes instantly, but the recent events of the past few weeks made her really take pause and hated that she might be tempted for a minute to use it as an excuse to say no.

"Sure," she found the word forming on her lips before she even gave herself anymore time to think about it. Aleece knew why she had agreed to the date, as sudden as it was, but he hadn't been the only to sudden show back up suddenly, had he? She knew this was going to cause her more stress then she wanted to deal with knowing perfectly well how Ari felt and now, maybe not the same level, Aroon. "I'd like that."

It seemed that Aleece could never just do the easy thing.

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009 20:31:25 GMT -6 by aleeca » Back to Top