Author Topic: Just Like Old Times (Tiao) (Read 564 times)
Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

Just Like Old Times (Tiao)
« Feb 24, 2011 0:02:53 GMT -6 »

OOC: Just sorta dusting this fossil of a board off long enough to give these two a proper farewell. They seemed to deserve it. Given how long it's been since anyone's posted here we're going to assume all the storylines and such have been played out, sorta skipping to "present day" so two-ish years or so later in-setting; hope that's okay to anyone who happens to read this. I'm not 100% on if we'll all ever RP together again so I felt like one last thread.
IC:

"Tiao, it's me. Catch that last fight? Well, wish I could make small talk, but you know how it is these days. You remember how to get to the roof of Fremont's Administration building, down in Chula Vista? Meet me there after school hours, we've got stuff to talk about."

It was almost funny how little had changed. The gates, old campus buildings and even the damn koi pond were exactly how Ari remembered them, if somehow more welcoming. It was probably the quiet; even a chunk of the faculty had gone home at this hour, eager to greet the weekend. Nobody greeted him, ran through the halls, gossiped with their friends, or even started a fight or found a quiet place to study. Why bother when you had the dorms and the Collective's entire campus to do such things, and weren't being kept in the high school like a prisoner?

A mirthless chuckle escaped his lips. Was anyone still around here who remembered all that? The murders, rebellion, drama, all that fighting? Had any of it really amounted to anything? Maybe some of the younger kids or the ones who decided to move on to O'Hare, he didn't know. It probably didn't matter; the good guys - for a given value of "good" - won, plots were stopped, hearts were broken, drama happened, all that good stuff. He'd even been there for some of it.

Yet nothing had really changed. Fights were won and lost, classes went on, people looked into the sky as dreams filled their heads. Some were dreaming about protecting their classmates or simply surviving another day, he was sure; others were determined to force change in the system and paid more attention to thinking about just how to do it than their homework. Still others just wanted to twist things to their advantage. He'd've been surprised if someone out there wasn't plotting to blow up the school, restart some of the old projects that had gone on behind closed doors in Knox Academy or even take over the San Diego underworld like the Dragon Dynasty had come so close to doing.

Of course, then there were the usual products of the corporal punishment system, the ones people overlooked in favour of increased discipline and whatnot. The broken ones, the old souls in young bodies, or simply the ones who knew fighting more than most anything else, even lived for it. He'd been one of those, and knew many others. Maybe he still was one. Was beating someone up for a living really any different depending on if you did it in an octagon, a school corridor or some back alley? Spilling blood, having yours spilled, or making others spill their blood for you had a way of becoming a fact of life these days; people who claimed not to enjoy it even a little bit proved to be liars the first time they showed up for a tournament, or fought their way into a pillarship.

Then again, maybe he was overthinking things. Everything had a way of looking smaller from several storeys up. A healthy combination of remembering where the cameras were, knowing the right people and outright bribes had seen his way onto the roof, overlooking the campus courtyard as the sun began to set. The view had helped put things into perspective a little in his last days as a student here, preparing for the days to come.

It had been quite a while since he'd worn the uniform, or really had time to pay much mind to the Collective. Sure, he talked to Tiao and others he'd known during his days kicking around Hircine or the Collective, but life outside school - outside corporal punishment - had a way of eating one's free time up. Living in his own house and being paid to face strong opponents sure beat the shit out of school drama and taking on punks with knives and guns for chump change. He chuckled again, wondering what his younger self would think to see him now.

He'd either worship me or call me a fuckin' sellout, is my bet.

A bit of hair fell in his face and got brushed out of the way by a huge hand, a chance the - arguably - saner part of his mind took to pipe up. What was the point of coming back here after everything? What was left?

Stupid question. There was at least one thing he'd never seen through, always found a reason to delay on. Not because of fear, but he'd never quite felt the need. Perhaps he simply didn't want to, but no matter. That one thing would haunt him for ever if he lost the chance, and so he'd left a very simple voicemail earlier today and risked serious trouble getting up here.

It would be worth it, he told himself. No use worrying. His hands slipped into the bomber jacket's pockets, and his eyes closed for a few moments, his thoughts turning inward.

The roof was packed; word had spread quickly about Ari's challenge, and it seemed like nobody in the middle school wanted to miss whatever happened next. Football players muttered to themselves while wrestlers looked on in cold confidence or called out encouragement. Students from all over had turned up to form the makeshift ring around two of their classmates, who seemed oblivious or at least indifferent to the constant hum of voices.

Ari smirked, turning to face the other student. People were seriously comparing him to this runt? He wanted to laugh, but he resisted the temptation to lose focus even for a moment. Let them talk; after today,
nobody would doubt him.

"Tiao Lei Shen! It's time I exposed you once and for all!"

Noise behind him, movement. A genuine smile crossed his face, but he didn't turn to look. No turning back now.

"You really know how to keep a man in suspense. Here for the view?"

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2011 7:00:49 GMT -6 by Ari Karamzov » Back to Top  
Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Feb 24, 2011 18:30:39 GMT -6 »

((OOC: Super rusty, so if you didn't expect me to match your length before, certainly don't now.))

"Well..." the voice replied, the man not looking at the other either, instead turning around to look down below.

"Can't imagine anything else up here worth my time."

There was a smirk on his face, though the words sounded crisp enough. If Ari ever turned to face him, he'd confirm what he already knew--that Tiao Lei Shen had returned to the Chula Vista Collective. It wasn't that long of a drive. Not from where he was staying this week at least. He had traveled the country and even other parts of the world in the past two years, but mostly stayed West Coast for longer periods of time. This is where he grew up. This is where he grew into the man he was.

Outwardly, you wouldn't be able to tell if there was any changes. Same shoulder cropped hair on a sleek face you'd never know belonged to a fighter, if it wasn't for the perfect posture and heavily defined lean muscles underneath his custom tailored suit. After a long pause, he finally turned around to face Ari, half sitting-half leaning against the ledge of the roof.

"You were slow in your last fight. You'd have been fired if you were that sluggish and still working for me."

Same condescending Tiao smirk.

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Feb 24, 2011 19:03:51 GMT -6 »

"I didn't have to worry about weight-cutting tiring me out when I worked for you. Well, usually at least."

It sounded more like an excuse when spoken than it had in his head, but it was true enough. MMA was stricter about that sort of thing than working in the underground, and it had hurt him; the slippery son of a bitch nearly caught him a few times, and in the end he'd had to settle for a decision win. Such was life, he supposed; what mattered was he was better now.

He turned round after another moment, posture relaxed as he sized up his old employer. It had been a while, but you couldn't tell that looking at the two of them; all that seemed missing was their old uniforms. Ari had slimmed down ever so slightly to fit his weight class, but it wasn't noticeable with his old getup. His bomber jacket, jeans and boots fit as will as they ever had, even if they made him look like he was from some other world entirely.

Maybe he was, now. It had been a while since the two men on the roof had seen each other face-to-face, talks or no; their paths had always seemed laid out from the beginning, and Ari couldn't claim to be surprised now they were starting to diverge. The smile remained on his lips as he leaned against the edge, his arms crossing in front of his chest. There wasn't any rush any more.

"I would've called you down to the old club instead, but I figured what the hell, something to be said for nostalgia." He threw another look over his shoulder, his tone taking on the slightest hint of wry amusement. "Best years of our lives and all that bullshit, you know?"

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 19:06:20 GMT -6 by Ari Karamzov » Back to Top  
Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Feb 24, 2011 19:13:15 GMT -6 »

Tiao nodded slowly, almost absent mindedly.

"You heard yet?"

"Heard what."

"Karamzov is challenging you to a fight, he's on the roof waiting for you."

"Cram what? Who he hell is that?"

"Big ass guy? Beeen beating as much ass er- almost as much ass as you have been."

A snicker and Tiao was on his way. Outwardly he seemed annoyed but in a way, it was exciting. No one had challenged him for a long time. He'd been the king since early elementary, he almost had to look for fights, for a reason to let the pain set it on someone. To have someone ASK for it? That was exhilirating.

Tiao gets to the top of the stairs, reaching the door and taking a step onto the roof...

"Get to the point Karamzov. We both know were not here to talk."

Damn. Didn't come out as harsh as he wanted.

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Feb 24, 2011 19:36:30 GMT -6 »

"I see you've not learned patience over the past couple years," Ari said. "But you're right; if I just wanted to play catch-up, I could've done that over the phone."

There was no reply; all in all, his adversary looked rather unimpressed. Maybe almost annoyed. The crowd went silent, waiting to see what would come next. Some seemed to be reconsidering their decision to turn up for this, and at least one's expression indicated he was hoping staff would turn up to stop this madness.

Madness? Hardly. He'd show him, just like the rest of them. There was only room enough for one king, and the Chinese kid in front of him wasn't big enough for the task.

"Well, at least you don't waste time begging. Let's give these losers a show!"

Then, with a few strides forward, it was on, his huge fist aimed right for Tiao's face.

"One of the first things you said when you offered me that job was I could challenge you any time. Hell, I probably could've done it immediately and had nothing to lose." He paused just long enough to make sure that sunk in. "But then I didn't, not even when the Dragon Dynasty broke apart. Every damn thing that happened in this shithole until we left, and I had your back even when I didn't need to any more. In all that time, why do you think I never asked for my rematch?"

He wasn't holding out much hope for an answer, truth be told. God knew he'd been pondering it for months and not thought of anything.

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Mar 4, 2011 0:20:02 GMT -6 »

"You're scared of losing." Tiao says flatly.

Tiao moved with more grace than Ari had ever seen. Couldn't blame him though, no one moved like he did. That's kind of the reason they were both were here.

The chinese fighter pushed to perfection from an early age easily slipped the lunchbox of a fist, an open handed palm striking the center of Ari's chest as he moved. He'd feel it, but it wasn't meant to hurt. He was playing with him, and he wanted him to know that.

Ari wanted a show, that's what he'd get. Unfortunately he was the gimmick.

"Fighters, especially sport fighters, are overly sensitive to a loss. I know that too. The fact you were able to ask for a rematch but didn't let you hold onto a semblance of power and control. To take the rematch is to give up that control. Especially when you know the outcome."

Tiao exhales that almost sounds like a laugh.

"But thats just MY guess. There's always been a whole lot going on in that head of yours despite what your size would suggest."

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Mar 4, 2011 2:59:43 GMT -6 »

Ari raised an eyebrow and folded his arms, his expression indicating he wasn't quite sure whether to be offended or just laugh. "I'd have thought you'd know me better than that by now. Don't think I was scared just because I learned to have some respect for you."

Okay, so the first hit went to Tiao. Fair enough, he'd telegraphed that shot from a mile away anyway. At least now he knew at least one of the rumours was true; this kid was fast. Faster than anyone else Ari'd fought, easily.

Good. If there was at least part of the hype that wasn't all talk, he might actually enjoy this; the strike hadn't really hurt, just made him step back, and he could keep this up all day if he had to. Wouldn't be very fun for the crowd, but all he needed was for Tiao to slip once...

There! No, wait, too easy an opening. A trap, if Tiao really knows what he's doing. Try to make a fool of Ari, would he? The giant Armenian bared his teeth slightly, circling his opponent and ready to go for the kill at the first chance.

The giant shook his head slightly, looking over the empty campus again. "You're right about one part though," he said. "I was holding on to that chance. Waiting until the time seemed right, at first, but that's not all of it. If it were just me being opportunistic, wouldn't I have struck when you were still reeling from the Dragon Dynasty falling apart?"

He almost had, just out of frustration, but that didn't bear mentioning. Tiao probably remembered how that particular chat in the courtyard had gone, with everything pulled from under them and the campus locked down as if to add insult to injury. The silence lingered a bit longer, just enough for Tiao to get a reply in if he wished.

"I suppose it all comes down to that day on the roof." Ari chuckled slightly, shrugging his huge shoulders. "You did what nobody'd really done before, handed me a decisive loss. I hated you for that, for taking me down in front of all those people and proving I wasn't the top dog in middle school. Stupid, but that's the system for you I guess."

The wind chose then to pick up a bit, as if the powers-that-be were seeing fit to make things just a touch more cinematic. "I've been holding on to that loss ever since, you know. Everything I've done since then, when it comes to fighting, was in the hopes of either supporting my family or being tough enough to beat you when we met again. So I guess part of me felt I owed you, in a way; if you look at it, I turned out this way because you beat me." He cracked just the slightest smile. "Makes a guy wonder what I'd look like if I'd won that little showdown."

Ari paused to gather his thoughts, honestly surprised he'd not been interrupted yet. Maybe he had and just hadn't noticed? God knew how long he'd waited for this, he could've accidentally talked right over an attempt to cut in. Tiao just had to bear with him a bit longer, though. After everything, didn't they deserve to be honest with each other?

"I know, that's all past now. We're our own people now, aren't we? Free of the system and all that fighting once we leave school for good?" He finally turned back, meeting Tiao's eyes squarely. "I guess I was just clinging to that past, using it as a reason to keep fighting. But it's probably all bullshit if you look close; nobody leaves the system, Tiao. Wear a suit if you like, but you're still the Tiger of Hircine deep down; fighting is who we are, like it or not. You know that as well as I do; what did any of it accomplish, really, but making sure all we really knew was the constant fight for supremacy?"

Finally, the moment he'd been waiting for. He unzipped his jacket and shrugged it off, the usual white tanktop from the old days replaced with an Under Armour shirt. Tight, but harder to grab on to, with better range of motion. "In the end, by the old rules I thought I didn't need to ask for my rematch; there was no point, I thought. But there's my mistake; the fight is the point. Always will be for people who grew up here, even if we deny it or try to justify it."

He gestured around them with one hand to illustrate his point. "So here we are. No crowds, prizes, nothing personal to it, just two warriors made by the system fighting for the fight's own sake. What do you say? Contract never said I couldn't get my rematch after I stopped working for you."

« Last Edit: Mar 4, 2011 3:02:55 GMT -6 by Ari Karamzov » Back to Top  
Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Mar 7, 2011 16:23:30 GMT -6 »

(OOC: Mind is kind of fried over this new board and I'm already switching over to the small posts idea so forgive me that I don't have the length in me anymore.)

Tiao kept the smirk on his face, letting Ari go through his speech. He wasn't as much of a talker. At least, not anymore.

Karamzov had a lot of size to him, and it wasn't all useless mass. Tiao could tell by the shifts in weight and the way he carried himself. He had to be suave to avoid injury, cause it only took one mess up. Unfortunately for Ari, he didn't now that Tiao never did.

Tiao jabbed out a lazy left hand, leaving his head open to a counter. At the last moment, he smiled...

"I don't have an argument for you there." Tiao finally speaks up, his right hand moving up and loosening his tie.

"Those of us in the system, that stayed in the system, have always been fighters. We always will be. Everyone had to fight at some point through the Corporal Punishment System, but you always knew the people that belonged there by the ones who stayed. We were fighting long before we were forced to by the schools because something else has always compelled us."

He takes off his tie and his suit jacket, tossing it gently to the side as he begins to untuck and unbutton his shirt, stretching his neck to the side as he continues.

"And something always will. Whether we're fighting at the school, in the arena or on the streets. Its who we are, and its something to be damned proud of."

Tiao, standing now bare footed and and bare chested brings up his arms.

"Guess its time for you to really find out how far you've come."

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Mar 7, 2011 23:11:58 GMT -6 »

OOC: A little tired right now plus I'm going to be looking at that stuff you wanted me to do, so I'll make this one a bit shorter.
IC:

"Well put." Perhaps in a last nod to fair play, Ari found himself untying and removing his boots, setting them neatly out of the way. The rooftop bit into the soles of his feet, but it felt... right, somehow. They'd both known it would come to this, some day.

They'd been at this for a little while now, all but dancing around each other. Blocks, parries, narrow dodges, the few blows that got through only glancing hits or otherwise not landing with enough force to be a fight-ender. Each exchange seemed as indecisive as the last. Tiao was too fast, and Ari too tough.

Honestly, the giant was getting a little sick of it. This wasn't the kind of fight he was used to, not the brawls he'd made a name for himself with, and each failure to land a solid shot sent a quick jolt to his brain. He had to get Tiao to stop moving around so damn much; once the Chinese kid was standing
still for a second, Ari could pulverise him.

Finally, an opening seemed to come. A rather lazy-looking left hand, but Ari's blood was up too much for him to see anything wrong with it. He just moved in, stepping to the outside of the strike and bringing his left arm in for an uppercut to Tiao's stomach. The next move came without thinking, as his body turned with the momentum to bring a thunderous right hook crashing down at the side of the smaller man's head.

"Guess there's really nothing left to say." He spared a moment to roll his shoulders, his mind already slipping into the mindset needed for the fight. Then he slipped into an easy guard, his fists raised and his body held ready to move in response to whatever came his way. "Show me if the Tiger of Hircine's still got his fangs!"

Nothing more needed to be said, really. Ari just stepped forward enough to close the distance before firing off a quick jab, snapping almost immediately back to his guard. A simple enough move for now, helped by all the hard work put into improving his speed over the years, and perfect for seeing if his old rival was still as quick as he used to be.

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Mar 8, 2011 15:06:24 GMT -6 »

(OOC: Saving the rest of the flashback til the end. Otherwise we're goin to be fighting twice. Also, if my posts get shorter we're going to pretend its me getting you used to future smaller post size.)

Tiao's quickness was different than Ari might have remembered. He might have seemed slower, but that wasn't exactly the case. His movements were less explosive, not so demanding on athleticism, though he ver well could if he chose. No, instead Tiao Lei Shen moved with a certain smooth finesse, like everything was second nature. As easy as taking a breath.

He slid his left foot back as he pivoted just slightly, staying in front of Ari but moving away from his right hand. Tiao's right hand would drop just two inches, palming the back of Ari's wrist to deflect the blow although his body should be out of range regardless. He kept even balance on both legs with his right side forward.

There was no need to rush. Not after how long Ari had already waited.

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Mar 10, 2011 2:11:12 GMT -6 »

OOC: Damnit, laptop, stop eating my post! Here's a quick one because I honestly can't remember what I wanted to type any more.
IC:

He hadn't really expected his opening shot to do much, and Tiao didn't disappoint, knocking the jab aside and moving back. It seemed his old rival wanted to make this last, though, as he made no attempt at a counter. Ari could understand that; who knew when, or even if, they'd get another fight like this again? It wasn't like they had anywhere to be, anyway.

Still, that didn't mean he was just going to let Tiao run away. He stepped forwards, snapping out two more jabs before his left foot planted, his right leg and hips pivoting as he turned his body with a right cross. While powerful, the three punches were almost more range-finders than anything, a way to keep his opponent on his toes. He was careful to rein in his aggression; if he knew anything about Tiao Lei Shen, it was that one couldn't just go charging in blindly against him.

Ari had learned that the hard way already, years ago, and he wasn't looking to repeat the lesson now.

I didn't come this far just to lose twice, Tiao...

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Mar 10, 2011 13:24:34 GMT -6 »

As Ari came in, Tiao would slide back just slightly, keeping the same range and distance between them as he would parry the two jabs with his own rear left hand up in guard, similiar to that of a boxer "catching" a jab. As the powerful right cross came forward, Tiao's right arm whipped up and around in a clockwise semi-circle.

At the same time, Tiao's left foot would strafe to the side, Tiao's forearm colliding with Ari's to redirect the punch as he stepped off to Ari's right side. As he stepped and redirected, Tiao's left hand whould shoot straight out and back in a palm strike to Ari's lowest floater rib on the right set of ribs.

Stick and move.

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Mar 11, 2011 23:31:02 GMT -6 »

So Tiao was trying to box him? That was a mistake right there, letting the fight stay in Ari's element. At least he was smart enough not to just stand there and trade hits with him, he supposed. As Tiao moved in to strike at Ari's ribs, the giant stepped back, his right foot circling clockwise to bring himself round. Instead of striking his ribs, Tiao's attack hit Ari's right elbow and stopped there.

However, Ari was more than smart enough to know it wouldn't end there. A simple block wouldn't do if he wanted to keep control of the fight's pace, he'd have to keep Tiao on the defensive. Rather than waiting for the other man to move again, Ari immediately shoved forward, using his already-raised guard to push Tiao back. Once Tiao was off-balance, Ari would step forward and to his left, bringing a huge fist down and around to strike at the smaller man's liver and turning with the blow to add extra power.

Of course, Ari knew Tiao too well to hope that would end the fight right there, but at the least it would keep the pressure on. You couldn't give someone like the old Tiger of Hircine any room to breathe, he'd found.

Tiao Lei Shen
Mentor
The Tiger of Hircine

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar

Shut up

[send pm]

« Mar 14, 2011 13:41:10 GMT -6 »

Ari had a tight guard but that wasn't suprising. He was a proffesional fighter, even if it was MMA. Even a proffessional in a sloppy sport was still a proffessional. Tiao palmed out his left hand again as Ari shoved forward, the time intending to strike the guard as he just slightly brought both feet off the ground, pushing himself back as Ari came forward to mainatin the same distance.

Following the push of the guard, Tiao would burst in and to the right diagnal, towards Ari's left side. Parrying Ari's body blow to the inside with his left hand on the burly forearm, Tiao's right hand would pop out with that same speed he was known for, aimming for the left cheekbone as his thumb would simultaneously gouge the eye.

Hopefully Ari wouldn't need five minutes to whine about getting poked in the eye like the rest of his peers in the sport.

Ari Karamzov
Legend
Frankenstein

Ari Karamzov Avatar

He's back

[send pm]

« Mar 25, 2011 6:55:17 GMT -6 »

Half a second. Half a second was all that separated Ari from a rather painful wakeup call. Tiao was quick, parrying the blow away and instantly following up with a side-palm strike Ari just ducked away from in time, the thumb positioned to sink into his eye. Good. Tiao was taking it seriously, by the look of it.

Had Ari not spent so many years working on his speed and footwork, the blow probably would've landed without any difficulty. Tiao had always been one of the quickest fighters Ari knew, even when he entered the professional game and started facing men closer to his own size who'd not lost a bit of speed for it. Good as they might have been, few mixed martial artists trained for such things for literally their whole lives like men such as Tiao or even Ari himself, and that level of training came with its advantages. In Tiao's case it meant being blindingly fast, yet still stronger than someone his size had the right to be.

And yet his palm strike still missed. Even as his punch was knocked aside, Ari was already moving, bringing his left arm back in as he ducked away, lowering himself under the palm strike and shifting to his right, away from Tiao's arms. His response was immediate, capitalising on his proximity to his opponent and the brief window of time where Tiao's arms were on the wrong side of his body to send another body blow with his right, torquing his body to drive the short, swift punch into - and possibly through - Tiao's temporarily undefended ribcage.

Tiao wasn't going to find this as easy as it'd been all those years ago.