Author Topic: Home At Last [Open] (Read 493 times)
Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:29:25 GMT -6 »

A black car drove up to the entrance to Paradigm Academy, glittering ever so slightly in the winter sunlight. It parked just outside of the gates and for a few moments, it just sat there, as if the people inside were having a conversation. Two minutes passed, and the backseat door opened.

And out stepped a new, blonde Sarah White, formally known as Piper.

She had gained a little bit of weight, no longer sickly looking, and her acid green hair had been replaced by her natural blonde. She was wearing an oversized sweater and a pair of simple jeans: her style hadn't changed all that much. On one shoulder, there was a bag that looked suspiciously like a computer bag, and a backpack slung across her other. She hadn't told anybody that she was coming home and had refused to let anybody meet her at the airport. She wanted that privacy, that peace.

Taking a deep breath of the Chicago air, the tension that had formed knots in her shoulders relaxed, and she glanced around for just a moment before walking into the gate, swagger just as confident as before.

Sarah was home.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:33:06 GMT -6 »

She sees Aaron in the courtyard!

Surprisingly, he hasn't spotted her, or heard the gates open. A huge sphere of darkness is lowering into his palm, shrinking bit by bit as he wears an expression of great concentration.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

Will it be you this time?

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:37:39 GMT -6 »

Like Aaron, Rebecca is also in the courtyard. Unlike the other agent, however, she does see the face of a familiar friend! A grin spreads across her face as she stops mid-step, pulling off her headphones as she waves to the blonde making her way through the gates.

"Sarah?" She laughs and makes her way over!

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:40:19 GMT -6 »

"Becca!"

She sounded far more excited than she expected as she caught sight of her friend, her grey eyes lighting up and a smile crossing her features. She didn't run to her, but there was an obvious speed to her walk as she made her way over, and if the girl didn't stop her, she would go to hug her.

Rotting be damned, it was just good to see her again.

"God, I missed you."

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:44:47 GMT -6 »

Becca not only doesn't stop the hug, she returns it! Still smiling, she hugs her friend and chuckles.

"It's good to see you, too. I've missed you." She pulls back slightly and shakes her head.

"You dork. You could have told me when you landed. Though I'm glad it's under better circumstances."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:45:11 GMT -6 »

C'mon, just a bit smaller...

Aaron's trying to push the sphere smaller than basketball sized when he hears the voices and looks over.

Seeing Sarah, healthier than he's ever seen her and fresh from Australia, breaks his concentration enough for the sphere to break apart and the darkness to shoot upwards with an impressive FWOOM, before he off-handedly dismisses it all! Wow, talk about dropping in unexpectedly. Hopefully neither of them heard that!

Unwilling to ruin the moment they're having, he walks over and leans against a nearby tree, not interrupting just yet. If Sarah looks over, he'll wave to her with a grin, and she'll see he's wearing the watch she gave him.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:50:40 GMT -6 »

"I could have," she agreed, letting out a laugh lighter than any she had previously. She kept Becca in her arms for a moment longer, just enjoying the company of her friend. When she did finally lean back, she looked her over, much like a mother might for a child that has been gone so long.

Did she look okay? If not, Sarah might have a fight on her hands her first day back.

"I just thought the surprise might be more fun."

Her gaze caught Aaron's movement as he made his way over to the tree and she offered him a soft smile and a little finger waggle wave before turning her attention back to Becca.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 20:59:00 GMT -6 »

"Well, either way, I'm glad you're back." Rebecca smiles and nods, also looking her friend over. She seems to have gained some weight - and sleep - since coming back from Australia. The blonde looks good on her, she muses.

"You look great. Your photo did, but in real life? Even better." For herself, Becca just looks tired and maybe a little stressed, if the shadows under her eyes are any indication. No broken bones or signs of trauma that she can see!

"Welcome home," she adds, pausing at the sight of the finger waggle. She looks over her shoulder to see Aaron, then looks back at her friend with a raised brow.

"Should I leave you two alone?"

« Last Edit: Jan 4, 2016 20:59:35 GMT -6 by Rebecca Jefferson » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 21:15:48 GMT -6 »

She stared at Aaron for a moment longer, her heart aching slightly as she looked at him. Yet, he hadn't approached her, so she didn't bother. Giving a shake of her head, she looked back to her friend, smiling a little wider once more.

"No, it's fine. I'll see him in a minute."

Sarah gave a shake of her head. "How are you? How'd the mission go?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 21:20:33 GMT -6 »

When Sarah is looking at Aaron, she sees him mouth 'be right back' to her! True enough, when she looks away, he all but vanishes.

He doesn't want to intrude, but also, since she's here now, there's something he's been holding on to.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 21:27:53 GMT -6 »

"Fine by me." She shrugs, letting the decision go unchecked. Her expression falls a bit at the mention of the mission, looking over her shoulder to see that they are alone before continuing. Thankfully, they are.

"I guess it went well." She looks around and nods to a nearby bench and leads Sarah to it if she's inclined to. "I took Eric with me, and we found...kids like us." She winces at the memory as the bitter taste of acid coats her throat and tongue. Swallowing, she continues.

"Bits of them, actually. We were informed that CLAW was using orphaned and homeless meta kids, probably because there's no one to claim them. Adopting them one at a time took too much work." She practically spits the words. Then, with a sigh, the expression is wiped from her face like it never happened. It seems Rebecca's been practicing that. Probably because she keeps getting asked what's bothering her!

"There's a mission for it coming up, but we had to go through proper channels. I don't know what we'll find." Sighing, she plops down on said bench. Finally.

"We brought back a couple kids with us, but we left so many behind. I know we can't always save everyone, but it doesn't feel right."

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 21:46:14 GMT -6 »

She followed her friend to the bench, a look of concern crossing over her features as Becca told her all about the mission and how it went. The idea that children were being used for some sick and sadistic plot made her feel sick to her stomach. She couldn't quite figure out how it was different from things that Jim did with his beloved little "puppets," and that made her skin crawl in disgust.

Balling her hands into little fists, she took a deep breath and nodded. "There's another mission for it, then?" she asked quietly, going over things in her mind. "I'll sign up. Maybe I can do something to help."

Sarah had just gotten home and she was already going to sign up for another mission. She missed the grind and the work. Looking over at her friend, she tried to offer her a reassuring smile. They would figure this out. She just knew they would.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 21:54:34 GMT -6 »

Rebecca offers Sarah a weak smile in return.

"Yeah. Welcome home, huh? Back to the grind already." A small chuckle accompanies her words as she shakes her head and sighs. "I'll be glad when it's done, either way. I don't like the idea of leaving this unfinished.

"But you're home now! This is supposed to be a happy moment - and I owe you a gift!"

« Last Edit: Jan 4, 2016 22:01:40 GMT -6 by Rebecca Jefferson » Back to Top  

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 4, 2016 22:25:53 GMT -6 »

"Same here."

Aaron'd meant it when he said 'be right back'! Though really, he'd only caught the tail end, about owing gifts. It was a surprise nobody'd heard his hurried footsteps, even if he did slow down as he neared the bench. Hands in his pockets, he gives them both a nod and a smile. If Rebecca wants to go first, that's fine, but he's ready.

Obviously, he hadn't expected Sarah to show up again quite so abruptly, so he'd had to run back to his room.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 0:40:42 GMT -6 »

Her skin crawled as Aaron appeared again and her hand reached out, almost instinctively, to grab at Becca's.

...Some things never change.

However, when Sarah recognized his voice, her body began to relax and she even let out a little chuckle. She was still the same tense girl, waiting for danger around every corner.

"I'm guessing that means you guys got the Christmas presents, hmm?" she asked, giving a little wrinkle of her nose. She looked between the two of them and then gave a shake of her head. "I need to come by your Pod in a little while anyways, Becca. Let Eric know I'm back and we can open gifts and you guys can catch me up. Okay?"

She wanted to spend more time with her but she had a feeling that whatever gift Aaron was about to give her, she wouldn't want to open it in front of everybody. Besides, it had been quite a while since she had seen the boy, and no matter what happened in Australia, she had missed him. Smiling, she glanced back up at her boyfriend, offering him a soft smile.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 0:51:37 GMT -6 »

Becca goes completely rigid at the sudden voice, head whipping in Aaron's direction to give him a look that could curdle milk in under a second.

"'Same here' ho- oh." She blinks as she realizes he wasn't talking about the mission. In fact, it doesn't look like he's done anything at all. At that pace, she figures he didn't even make it to the pod without a boost, but it's not worth her time to ask. She merely scowls and huffs, shaking her head.

"Nevermind." She looks back at Sarah with a nod and an apologetic smile. If Sarah reaches back far enough wnen grabs Rebecca's hand, she can feel cool metal beneath her sleeve.

"Yeah, I was going to suggest the same thing. 'Fraid I didn't bring the gift with me, since you wanted it to be a surprise." She's forgiven. Her expression brightens as she continues.

"I did! Thanks for that. You really didn't have to go out of your way like that." She looks away, towards the ground, as her smile turns embarrassed. "I actually took the book with me to Eric's place in case I had any late nights. It was wonderful. Thank you." Realizing she's repeating herself, Rebecca clears her throat and nods back to Aaron, smile faded but far more sociable than it had been a few minutes ago when he decided to sneak up on them.

"But yeah, I should let you two have your moment. Catch you later, Sarah."

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 0:55:45 GMT -6 »

She raised a hand to see her friend off, promise in her gaze. She would definitely come by later... They had a lot of catching up to do, and she missed the girl desperately.

Once Becca was gone, she finally turned her full attention to Aaron, patting the bench next to her for him to join her.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 1:01:39 GMT -6 »

He used shadow tendrils to pull himself along and move faster. Don't tell anyone, Becca! He actually took a step straight backwards from her look, and looked away from them - she curdles milk, and Aaron's immortal soul. Because of that, it takes a second for him to notice Sarah indicating the now vacant spot on the bench.

"Oh, right. Sorry."

He nods and takes the offered seat, though having driven Becca off like that still stings. He fidgets with the new watch as he settles down. He'll have to go apologise to her, too, at some point soon.

"Didn't mean to interrupt you two, looks like I ruined the moment."

« Last Edit: Jan 5, 2016 1:04:04 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 1:15:06 GMT -6 »

She waved away his apology. While she appreciated the thought behind it, there really wasn't any reason for it. The apology wouldn't do any good, and besides, she would go and spend time with Becca and Eric later. She knew that her good friend was a more private person, so whatever they needed to talk about, they could do so behind closed doors. It was always safer, there.

"She's probably my best friend, Aaron," she teased lightly. "We're almost always having a moment."

...That sounded a lot worse than she meant for it to. Giving a shake of her head, she reached out to try and take his hand. If he would let her, she would raise it towards her face and look over the watch she had gotten him, smiling a little bit wider.

"I'm glad you like it."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 1:24:32 GMT -6 »

Fortunately, Aaron knows pretty much what she meant. He lets her take his hand and look at the watch, and seeing her smile at it makes him unable to help smiling back. Not quite as wide, but at least it's there.

"Yeah, it's great. I've been wearing it all the time since I got it."

Well, not all the time. He's not going to wear it into the field, or when training, but only because he doesn't want to risk it getting lost, broken, or stolen. She must have gone through so much trouble to find this, spent a lot of money, so he's not going to let anything happen to it.

"I got you some things, too, but they were in the pod. That's why I ran off like that."

Well, that and wanting to let them talk amongst themselves.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 1:42:53 GMT -6 »

"You really didn't have to get me anything, Aaron," she assured him, though there was obvious gratitude in her voice.

Keeping his hand in hers, she looked back at him, giving a very slight shake of her head. "I mean that. I really didn't expect anything."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 5, 2016 1:51:01 GMT -6 »

"Well, I wanted to, so."

He got things for other friends, too, but still! Without dragging it out further, he reached into a pocket with his free hand and produced a couple jewellery boxes. After all, he hadn't expected anything, either, and the shopping had distracted him from some of the things on his mind. He hands over one, then the other, with a little smile.

"Happy belated Christmas?"

There's a necklace in one, and a bracelet in the next.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 6, 2016 17:32:39 GMT -6 via mobile »

She opened the necklace first and her eyes widened in shock. She knew that his family had money, but it looked so... expensive.

"Aaron, it's beautiful," she said, the other box resting on her knee as she looked the little peacock over.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 6, 2016 17:49:26 GMT -6 »

Well, so is she, so it's a good match.

Aaron finds himself vaguely tempted to fish out his phone and take a picture, seeing the shock on her face and how she just stares at the necklace, the second box forgotten for now. That seems rude, though, like it would be making the occasion about himself and seeing how she reacts, instead of giving her something she'd like.

Still, he had been looking forwards to the look on her face when she opened the boxes. Seeing it puts a grin on his face and makes the air around him feel like it's the middle of summer.

"I'm glad you like it. I looked all over the city for these."

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Home At Last [Open]
« Jan 6, 2016 18:27:01 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Why?" She looked up at him, gently caressing the rubies. They were cold under her fingers, but that chill was welcomed, like an old friend.

She hadn't ever had something so beautiful all to herself.

"Aaron, I would have been fine with just... a jacket or something. These are amazing!"

Having grown up in a church, it wasn't as if she were allowed the luxuries of beauty very often.

Quick Reply