Author Topic: I Won't Lay Down (Becca's Infirm; Open) (Read 2,046 times)
Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

Will it be you this time?

[send pm]

I Won't Lay Down (Becca's Infirm; Open)
« Jan 8, 2016 1:41:28 GMT -6 »

Much as she tries to avoid it, Rebecca's last injury has wound her back up in the infirmary!

Stupid shattered knee.

It's been some time since she was first brought in by Lucien, long enough for her to be fully out of it while her knee was tended to.   The room is silent and Rebecca is presumably sleeping since her eyes are closed and she's not fighting to get out of bed.

« Last Edit: Jan 8, 2016 4:42:34 GMT -6 by Rebecca Jefferson » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 1:48:33 GMT -6 »

Sarah suddenly showed up at her door, looking panic. She slammed her hand into the doorframe and winced visibly, the burns still aching on her skin. She was shaking as she looked around.

"Becca... Fuck." She hissed in a breath, cradling her arm. "Becca. Are you okay?"

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 1:55:43 GMT -6 »

If she hadn't been awake before, she was now. Becca's eyes open as she jumps, hissing in pain as her knee is moved, as well. The voice is one she recognizes, causing her to look in the way of the door.

Sarah.

"Hey." She lifts an arm in a halfhearted wave and offers the girl a small smile. "'Course I'm fine."

« Last Edit: Jan 8, 2016 1:55:59 GMT -6 by Rebecca Jefferson » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 1:58:14 GMT -6 »

She seemed to melt for a moment as she realized that the girl was okay. She was alive.

Sarah moved over towards her bed and, without seeming to care about what skin she might come in contact with, she wrapped her arms around her friends shoulders and hugged her, whether she liked it or not.

"Dammit, Becca," she said, trying not to let the tears come back to her eyes.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:01:39 GMT -6 »

Becca tenses at the hug; Sarah manages to get herself spared a bit of rot since she's hugging the side with her gloved hand.

"Hand. Hand!" She shifts to try and prevent her friend from getting further injured, eventually leaning against her for a brief moment before sitting up again.

"Nah. Can't die yet. Job's not finished." She pauses, looking at Sarah with a frown as the blonde's voice thickens.

"Hey, I'm fine, okay? Just a busted knee." Well, shattered, but same difference at this point. Of all the attention she's not used to, this has to be near the top of the list. Unless you counted Eric and a couple other concerned agents.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:05:38 GMT -6 »

She shifted ever so slightly away from Becca's ungloved hand, still clinging to her for another moment before, finally, she let her go. During that time, her friend could feel the heat coming up from the skin just beneath the burned, ripped sleeve that was once upon a time a beautiful crochet pattern.

Sarah nearly collapsed into the chair closest to her bed, trying to catch her breath, and cradled her arm against her stomach. It hurt, and that pain was enough to make her feel sick to her stomach.

"I swear, if you weren't already injured, I'd knock you upside your head," she said, but there was relief in her voice. "When you... You were just gone. I'm glad you're okay."

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:10:08 GMT -6 »

"Eric," was the only immediate explanation Sarah got as for her disappearance. "I swear, when I get my hands on that boy..." Rebecca's gaze goes to the ruined shirt sleeves and the burned skin beneath. Her frown returns and intensifies in almost the same breath. Then her brain jolts back to the mission.

"Shit! Eric." She looks up at her friend, almost begging for information. There's a look of fear in her eyes that Sarah's not seen from her before. "He's okay, right? Fred, too?" The injured and the one who was afraid. Besides Sarah, her closest friends.

"Did everyone make it back? I tried to tell them we'd need beds at the infirmary." She forces herself to breathe as her gloved hand grips the blanket. The charred sleeves become her focus again.

"Looks like you need one, too."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:14:46 GMT -6 »

"Eric's gonna make it. I made sure he got to the infirmary."

They might or might not have heard rapidly approaching footsteps. Aaron was far slower than Piper when she was actually using her speed, even if he used his shadows to boost himself, so he'd only gotten here in time to catch Becca asking after Eric. And Fred, and the others.

...He very carefully didn't say anything about Fred. Was that the kid? Right now, he wasn't entering the room, leaning against the doorframe instead. Catching his breath. He was in good shape, but he'd just run full tilt from the gates to the infirmary, and with how agitated he already was... well, of course he broke a sweat. He took a couple more breaths, before nodding to Sarah's arm, remembering the last bit Becca had said.

Goddamnit. He should've been faster. He could've saved her from the whole thing. For now, silent assent to Becca's suggestion.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:18:38 GMT -6 »

Her head jerked as she heard Aaron's voice and fought, hard, not to throw herself off the chair. She was still shaking, still ready for the fight that had ended so abruptly... But it was just Aaron. She told her body to calm down and began to relax once more into the chair, giving a hard shake of her head.

Turning back to Becca, then, she gave a firm shake of her head. "I'm fine," she told her, mimicking her tone almost perfectly. She gave a knowing twitch of her eyes, sighing.

"Eric... I don't know, Becca. Eric should be okay but I haven't checked on him, yet. And I don't know about Fred... She'll be okay, too, though. Jan Di was driving." That much, she remembered.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:23:27 GMT -6 »

Rebecca can only follow the rules for so long. The minute Sarah launches herself out of the chair like she's about to be attacked, instinct takes over and she pushes the blankets off to swing her good leg around. The bag leg tries to follow, and there's a muffled cry of pain as she grits her teeth.

"Shit." She grips the side rail of the bed, forcing herself to breathe. What the heck was with the overreaction? What had she missed?

She eyes Sarah as her friend sits back down, rolling her eyes at the mimicked tone. Message received loud and clear, and no bothers given.

She looks from Aaron at his reassurance to Sarah, silently begging her friend to give her more than "I don't know" about the people she cared about. Jan Di could drive like a maniac and get there in time, but the psychic's words still rang in her head.

Still, if he was here, it was a start. Sort of. Another deep breath, this time audible as she sinks back against the bed.

"What happened?" Her voice is thin as she looks to either of them and the pain settles. "Did we succeed?" No one's giving her answres on people yet. She needs something to keep herself focused.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:25:49 GMT -6 »

Sarah was up and by her friend's bedside as soon as she tried to launch herself off the bed, and she raised both hands without touching Becca. Instead, she just looked at her, and there was a moment of pleading. The more she moved her arm, the more it hurt.

"Stay in bed, Bec," she said, but it sounded more like a question than an order. "Please? I can't... I need you to stay in bed. I can't handle everybody else and you, too."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:27:21 GMT -6 »

"We took out all those... evil cat things. I brought one back, made sure people who knew how to handle it took it off my hands. It might be dead though, I dunno. The other team brought someone back too, I think."

His attention was half on the answer, because he glanced to Becca to make sure she got back on the bed okay then right back to Sarah. The way she'd jumped up like she was going to fight him, that was understandable with what happened, but it still made his heart fall into his stomach. His voice softened, got quieter, and he nodded to a chair in the room as if asking for permission to come in. He wouldn't unless they said it was okay.

"You should get yourself patched up too, love," he said to Sarah. He didn't need to call her that, they knew what they were to each other, but for some dumb reason he needed to see her react to the word. He needed something to tell that cat thing's voice, all those logical loops and nonsense trains of thought to try justifying him murdering his friend, that it's full of shit.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:33:41 GMT -6 »

After a moment, Rebecca nods and pulls the blanket back over herself, making it a clear display of 'oh look, I'm behaving. For now.'

"Alright. Thanks, Aaron." She nods, but there's no clear indication on if it's just to echo her thanks or to allow him in the room. The way Sarah's acting, that may not be a good idea, and she's not sure how much company she feels like just yet.

They weren't answering her questions. This was displeasing.

She looks back to Sarah, determined to win something today. She shakes her head and frowns.

"You're not fine. If I have to suffer this place, then so do you." She gives an overly bright smile. "Just think - if you behave, we might even be roommies!"

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:36:54 GMT -6 »

She couldn't help but snicker at what Becca had to say, even as her gaze lifted, turning to Aaron. He was trying to be helpful and she knew that, but somewhere deep inside, it was difficult for her to accept. She had other things that she needed to do, and even though the same could be said about Becca...

"I'm okay," she tried, her voice far softer than it had been a moment before. She tried to smile at him, tried to be reassuring, but in that moment... It was kind of hard to do.

"I can't let them chain me down before I check in on Eric and Fred, and the others. I know Jan Di was okay enough to drive, and there was the blind guy that... helped me out... But Mark was there, too, and I don't remember if he was okay or not."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:40:17 GMT -6 »

"It won't take them that long to fix your arm. I bet I could get a nurse in here to take care of it while you talk to Becca. If you don't do anything about it, it's gonna get worse."

She didn't react, at least, he didn't know if she did. The smile was... something. Maybe? Enough for him to smile back. He tried to keep that brightness to it that she liked, but it was hard.

In her place he would be saying the same things.

"I'll take care of the others, it's the least I can do. Without Eric I'd be dead right now."

With Eric, that kid might be. "Mark and Jan Di looked fine when I saw them, I'm sure Fred'll be fine too. And the blind guy didn't look hurt."

He didn't come in, though. They didn't say he could.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:44:30 GMT -6 »

"Whatever works." Rebecca shrugs, grateful but not sure how to get Sarah to get taken care of as well as whatever else is going to come - or who may stop by.

"If you want, I won't object. Thanks, Aaron." She turns her focus to Sarah with a frown. "You on the other hand. I want you to promise me that if you go to check on the others, you'll let them look at your arms after you tell me how everyone's doing." She doesn't care if they go separately or together.

Aaron remains uninvited. Becca feels girl talk coming on.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:48:30 GMT -6 »

She twitched visibly as everybody insisted she get her arm checked out. Didn't they understand? She had things she had to do, people she had to check up on. She gave a firm shake of her head from side to side. She HAD to know that they were okay.

"I'll come back," she finally promised, but it wasn't the promise she was looking for. "But I have to see everyone for myself."

Sarah's eyes were desperate as she looked back to Aaron. She knew he would try to fight her on this. "Mark's my Podmate, and Eric... He's the Captain, you know? And Fred was injured, too. I need to go check on them. I have to make sure they're okay, and then I'll... come back."

She still hadn't agreed to getting checked on.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:52:28 GMT -6 »

"I've got my phone. I'll do the rounds and tell you."

He knew where she was coming from though, even got the Captain reference. He was in that ridiculous "Super Squad" too! He'd be making the same arguments, insisting on the same things. Hell, he would've just walked out and ignored him, in her shoes. So... that's something? That she looked at him, and talked to him?

You're probably full of shit, evil cat thing.

"Compromise, maybe? I'm gonna go check on people anyway - at least get it cleaned up first, so it doesn't get infected? It'll take a couple minutes, tops. Please?"

She would know how he always got on her to take care of herself.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 2:56:50 GMT -6 »

Rebecca, receiving no promise and used to playing these deflection games herself, gives Sarah a displeased look.

"You check. Come back. Talk to me. Get looked at. Promise." She understood the need to do something - she wanted to herself, now that the others were back.

"I'm stuck in this bed, or I'd check myself." And now she was staying because her friend asked her to. It was that, or lose it. Becca didn't know she already had.

A moment of silence as their words sink in, then, "Fred was injuried?"

« Last Edit: Jan 8, 2016 2:57:29 GMT -6 by Rebecca Jefferson » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 3:00:06 GMT -6 »

"I don't know how bad," Sarah immediately said to Becca, trying to calm her down about Fred. She honestly had no clue. By the time the girl was hit, she had become so focused on Eric that everything else seemed to melt away around her.

Then, she turned her attention back to Aaron, looking rather displeased herself. She tried to cross her arms over her chest and actually managed to, but there was a twitch of pain. Still, she hid it well: pain, she was used to.

"No way," she grumbled with a firm shake of her head. "If you guys are THAT worried, let me do MY rounds, and then I'll come back." She glanced at Becca, sighing softly in defeat. "AND get looked at. But not until I've seen everybody myself and know that they're okay."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 3:05:24 GMT -6 »

"I'm checking on them anyway," he pointed out. He didn't want to fight with her over this, but he didn't look away, looking her right in the eye. If she looked displeased, he didn't have any steel to his eyes, but he was obviously unhappy with her. Not angry, in fact he totally understood, and looked like he did, but there was that hint of 'are we seriously arguing over your own health again' to his eyes.

"We'll both check on people if you really want, together or separate. I'll update you if I can so neither of you have to worry."

He hadn't answered Becca's question, though, and slowly, he looked away from Sarah, trying to put the words together. Tell the truth? Don't?

"Fred - the kid, right? - took a hit right at the end, but I'm sure she'll be fine. Jan Di had her, and she got taken right here. Some of the best doctors in the world work here, so if she's here, she's gonna be okay."

He tried to smile again. Be reassuring. He omitted that Eric had made her shoot herself with an Imperial rifle, with a round meant to go right through Aaron's own heart. Thanks to those... things.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 3:09:10 GMT -6 »

"Sarah." Rebecca snorts and sighs, shaking her head with a tiny smile. "That is all I've asked you for. In that order." It sounds like she might almost laugh, but then Aaron brings their attention back to serious things after the quick assurance that Fred was okay. She wasn't sure if it was for her benefit or not, so she nods in gratitude at the more detailed update.

"Okay." After a second, she adds, "Actually, can you stay a minute, Sarah? I wanted to ask you something. You and Aaron could probably cover different people and compare before going to see the ones you missed. Status stuff." Trying to work things out since it feels like there's an elephant in the room squished between the other two.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 3:15:37 GMT -6 via mobile »

She stared Aaron down. While she had gotten healthier in Australia, she hadn't changed enough to be THAT concerned about her health. Not when people she cared about were injured. In fact, the more he went on, the angrier she looked. She was NOT going to accept updates over a phone when she could just as easily walk to their rooms herself.

"Yeah, sure, Becca," she said without looking away.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 3:21:39 GMT -6 »

"Sounds good to me."

He didn't indulge, didn't let himself look angry or annoyed. He got where she was coming from, even though his insides roiled at her looking so mad at him.  She'd only looked that angry with him once. She didn't scare him, but he hated seeing her upset. Or angry. Especially at him. It was like Kryptonite.

Somewhere deep down, on seeing that look she gave him, that part of his brain the creature had been taking over for itself chuckled at him. Tried to tell him things. He shook his head, unconsciously, and tried to tell himself it was just so Sarah could see he was willing to give ground. Becca wanted her to stay? Wanted to chat? That was fine.

"You two just try to relax. I'm sure everyone's going to be okay."

He'd give them the best smile he could under the circumstances and turn on his heel to go. He'll head for Eric's room, wherever that is; the man had saved his life, nearly died, and there was much to be said about it if he was able. If he was still in the world of the living.

The Pale Shadow wanted to talk to his captain.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

« Jan 8, 2016 3:26:08 GMT -6 »

Relax? In this place? Aaron's a funny guy. Rebecca just nods, watching him leave and waiting a few seconds before turning her attention to Sarah, quieter than before.

"Sorry. Figured I should take the elephant out of the room before it squishes something."

Quick Reply