Author Topic: Atonement (Sarah?) (Read 684 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 21:20:15 GMT -6 »

"Because you could've been incinerated? Because I was worried it could get infected or something? Then there's, y'know."

He won't directly mention Puppet Mode. They both like to act as if it doesn't exist anymore, even though that's obviously not the case. Out of sight, out of mind, right? He'd mentioned how his brain had been scrambled up and made him act all weird, too, so no point bringing it up again.

"Good book?"

He does notice how she doesn't look up, and sounds so flat. Unlike her usual.

« Last Edit: Jan 9, 2016 21:24:07 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 21:27:08 GMT -6 »

Heaving a sigh, she finished the chapter before closing it, turning her eyes - the deep green of seriousness - up to Aaron at last. She knew he wasn't interested in what book she was reading.

"I could have been, but I wasn't. The only reason I was in the literal line of fire was trying to save one of the other agents." She didn't mention anyone by name, but her lips were kept in a thin line. "I would have taken the full of that fire happily, Aaron. Do you realize that?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 21:32:41 GMT -6 »

"I do, because I feel the same way. Would've taken that laser instead of Fred, too, if I could."

He'd helped her become the kind of person who would risk her life for kids she didn't even know, let alone a comrade, after all. And he's the same way deep down - or likes to think he is. So he's not looking down at her, he takes a seat next to her, making a little shadow box so she doesn't have to move out of her nest. He hadn't seen who she was trying to save, it had all been too chaotic.

He had, honestly, been more focussed on protecting her. Maybe that was why Eric got hit.

"I'm sorry all that happened, I really am. If I could snap my fingers and take all the punishment you all got, I'd do it."

The smashed knee, the sting, the shot, all of it. Though would that mean double possession by evil cat things?

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 21:43:32 GMT -6 »

Good. Because it was all your fault.

Her brow twitched ever so slightly as she stared at him, trying to keep her thoughts under control. She blamed him for a lot of things, and maybe that was unfair of her, but... Taking a deep breath, she raised a hand to lightly rub at her brow, breathing slowly and carefully.

"Stop acting like a victim, Aaron. Right now, my filter isn't very strong, and I'm more than a little angry. You got out of there unharmed." Her voice was cold as she spoke, but he would see the deepening of her eyes, that almost-dangerous color shading towards grey. "You have been acting INSANE since that mission. No, since before. Maybe I was wrong."

Wrong about what, she didn't bother specifying.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 21:53:12 GMT -6 »

"About what? And what do you mean, before?"

...Was he acting like a victim? If he was, was it right? No, she was right, it was just him that got away unscathed. He should've been hurt like them.

"I know I fucked up the mission, Sarah. And I know I put everyone at risk, that afterwards I was acting completely out of line. What do you think I've been wanting to talk to you about? To apologise to you for? Spilling milk?"

That was a little out of line. He sighs, looking into her eyes, trying not to let his heart ache at the look he was getting.

"Sorry, that got away from me. I know I've done wrong, and I want to make it right by you. Everyone else, too, but I've been awful to you, even though I love you. You deserve better, and I want to give you better, to fix things."

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 21:58:55 GMT -6 »

A little? He would see that fire light in her eyes as they shifted back to the grey color they became when she was infuriated, the safety of her headspace assured only by the clarity within. If they had been clouded, it might be a risk of puppet mode, and that was something nobody could deal with.

"I figured you wanted to apologize for your behavior, but how much can you apologize for, at this point?" she asked, her voice like ice. She was gripping her book as she tried to keep herself under control, but at least he was giving her SOME kind of emotion.

For once.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:01:42 GMT -6 »

She really did blame him, didn't she? For everything.

"Where do you want me to start? Because there's obviously a lot you want to talk about, and I want to talk to you about it. Isn't that what a relationship's about? Working things out?"

Don't back down, even though that look in her eyes, the idea she could actually be angry at you about so much, could speak to you so coldly, makes you want to shrink away. She needs this.

"A lot's on your mind, and I want to make it better. Let's talk about it, give me a shot, okay?"

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:09:21 GMT -6 via mobile »

"I don't know how much there is to talk about right now, Aaron," she said, making sure to use his name instead of her many terms of endearment.

He wasn't backing down, and that surprised her, in a way, but right then... it wasn't enough.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:14:11 GMT -6 »

"There's obviously a lot. I can tell by the way you're talking to me."

Of course he wasn't backing down. He's usually a pretty nonchalant guy, but something like what they had? That he actually cared about? He'd fight to the death.

"Just give me somewhere to start. Or tell me something I can do to start us off, to make any of this even a little better, to prove to you I care as much as I say I do. I don't have much right to ask, but give me a chance? Please?"

He wouldn't patronise her with the puppy dog eyes, but he kept his voice warm, earnest. Made sure to position his wrist, subtly, so she could see he was living up to his promise to wear it all the time. "I want this to work. I don't want our relationship to be like Angel, where I screwed things up irreparably at some point and have no idea where to even begin fixing them."

She wants him to take responsibility? Fine, he'll take responsibility.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:18:39 GMT -6 »

"Angel is a good place to start things, actually." She crossed her arms over her chest carefully, being sensitive for the injuries she had. She didn't want to make them any worse than they already are. "He's my brother. He's one of the most important people in my world, and like you said, you screwed things up pretty badly. You seem to think he's a bad guy but do you really even know him?"

She let out a soft sigh. She knew he could be kind of hot-headed, but he was a very logical individual. "I'm not comfortable having you two in the same room, and right now, that's kind of a big deal. I can't bring you to my Pod, and what happens if I end up more injured than this stupid old thing?" She raised her arm.

"I doubt that you two would be able to function in an infirmary room, even for my sake, and that's not okay."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:23:31 GMT -6 »

"Okay. I can work with that."

Because he really had fucked everything up. He'd let Angel get under his skin. To be fair, Angel kept picking fights, had threatened to kill him... but still.

"I'm sorry I've subjected you to all that. But you know him better - frankly, I don't even know how to talk to him. If I can ask you for a bit of advice, here, what do I do to get the door open? To get him to sit down and talk, and give it a chance so we can fix things? I'd rather be his friend than his enemy, and you're right; some of the ways I've acted towards him, I haven't considered how important he is to you."

Because outright challenging him to a fight hadn't done the trick.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:28:10 GMT -6 »

"You could start by actually listening to him instead of cutting off his every word with your shadows," she said, but it didn't sound as if she was trying to help him. She was irritated and the way that Aaron and Angel treated each other was absolutely unacceptable. Angel had helped her in the beginning, when she hadn't known what to do. She spent a lot of her down time with him. And her... Aaron... was constantly fighting with him, against him.

"He's tried talking to you multiple times and you've never respected him enough to actually listen to what he had to say. That's... really not okay." She gave a shake of her head, releasing her death grip on her book. "At this point, that is really the start of it. Apologizing and listening. And even if you're never FRIENDS, maybe you can at least come to an agreement that will work better for all of us. That way you aren't at each other's throats any time you're both around."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:33:10 GMT -6 »

Hey, he only did that once! He's not going to say it, though.

"I'll find him today, and we'll talk. Actually talk. You're right, I've been terrible; I was so angry, after that school, remember? But it didn't justify how I kept treating him afterwards. Never once thought to go to your pod and apologise to him like a goddamn adult."

He'd sworn around Sarah before, hopefully she didn't mind. "I promise, I'll try to work things out. Have I ever promised you I'd do something and not done it the best I could?"

At least he was getting through. She was hearing him out.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:38:31 GMT -6 »

Instead of answering, she just stared at him, thinking about what he asked her. She wanted to snap at him more, to continue and go on about how daft he had been through everything, but she kept her mouth shut and let her thoughts run rampant behind that grey - slowly fading to green - eyes. They weren't yet the soft blue-grey that meant she was in a good mood, but it was better than the cold, heartless grey they were.

Instead of saying anything, she simply sighed. She rubbed her forehead as if it hurt her, trying to keep her thoughts focused despite everything that was going around in there. "Just... talk to Angel. That's the first step."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:48:09 GMT -6 »

He knows he's been daft - a nice word, she'd taught it to him! - for a lot of things. That was why he kept throwing terms of endearment at her, kept stressing how he wanted to make things work. It wasn't why he'd spent thousands on those jewels, her Christmas present he didn't know if she had on her or not, that was just a show of love. Some of the most beautiful things he could find, because she is beautiful. A lot of the rest, though, was to break through, to show what he meant, that he was aware he wasn't handling certain things right. To remind her he cared and wanted it to be better.

He tried not to shrink under her gaze; the shift in her eyes was an improvement. The nod came easily; she could've asked him to bring her the Sun, or to kill Kharne with his bare hands, or to jump in front of a truck and he'd agree just as easily.

...Maybe not the last one, that train of thought ran away from him after a bit. Maybe if she asked him when he was in the right mood

"I will. I'll do whatever I can to make peace with him, and if I can't get it all done today, I'll at least open the door."

He doesn't let his expression change from that earnest, determined smile. It's obvious this isn't most days, the sight of it isn't going to make her all heart-fluttery this time, but he still wants her to see it. Wants her to take it in at least a bit, warm her a little, show her he's not just telling her what she wants to hear.

« Last Edit: Jan 9, 2016 22:51:33 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman - Reason: Redundancy » Back to Top  

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 22:53:24 GMT -6 »

Sarah wanted desperately to believe that, that hew wasn't just telling her something she wanted to hear, but she wasn't ready to believe it quite yet. She knew it wouldn't be easy for him to mend the fences with Angel, and she wasn't ready to do anything else until that got at least somewhat resolved.

Then, the rest of their problems could be handled.

"Alright," she agreed with a little nod, her face remaining impassive. In her mind, the conversation was over. There wasn't really anything else for them to talk about, sitting there underneath her tree. She turned away from him and opened her book back to the page she was at, starting the next chapter without a word.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 23:00:49 GMT -6 »

The impassivity hurt, a little, but what could he expect? She'd built up a lot of resentment and anger over a lot of things, clearly, things she hasn't to this point wanted to talk to him about.

He tries to remind himself this is good, this is healthy. That's been brewing just under the surface and he wants it drawn out. Talked about. Worked over, so what they have can be stronger. Relationships aren't all sunshine and frolicking in fields and being lovey-dovey and making love almost every night, they take work. And she was letting him prove he was willing to do that work. She could have told him to fuck off, that it was over, but she hasn't done that yet, so they have something.

"I'll tell you when we've talked, or he will I guess. Depends on who sees you first." Slowly, reluctantly, he stands up and waves the shadow box away, only taking his eyes away from her so he wasn't outright staring.

"You look like you're sick of hearing this, but I've got to say it. I do love you, and I'm sorry I've been so crap at showing it. I'm going to keep working at it until I've proved it to you. Until we've worked everything out."

He leaves right after saying it, partially because he's not sure how well he'd take those three words not being said back to him, right now. If she wants to say anything, though, it's a bit before he's out of earshot.

Sarah White
Mentor
Defense

Sarah White Avatar

When Autumn Came...

[send pm]

Atonement (Sarah?)
« Jan 9, 2016 23:05:46 GMT -6 »

She doesn't look up as he speaks to her, keeping her eyes focused on the book, even though she had stopped reading. It was painful to her that he could finally, NOW, say that he loved her, when he couldn't respond with those simple words when she needed them.

Her hands balled into little fists, but with his back to her, she could finally hiss in a breath from the pain, letting the book fall into her lap.

Quick Reply