Author Topic: Bing Bong, Ding Dong (Announcement) (Read 155 times)
Jack Makaila
Director of Terror

Jack Makaila Avatar

[color=limegreen]I'm your daddy.[/color]

[send pm]

Bing Bong, Ding Dong (Announcement)
« Feb 13, 2016 21:25:51 GMT -6 »

Over the P.A. system, there's the sound of Jack's voice!

"Agents and staff of Paradigm Academy, this is an important announcement. As many of you are no doubt aware from the state of the grounds outside, the academy was attacked yesterday by six operatives from the Chthonic Empire. However, what you may not be aware of is that as of three hours ago, the Empire has attacked Syria."

There's a pause, as if he's considering what to say next.

"The treaty has been broken, and war has started. Soon we're going to be called to the front lines, and I'm telling you now, it's going to be difficult. There will be threats to your lives that seemingly come from everywhere, simply because we'll be in a warzone. All of you will need to be focused and determined, and I will do my best to keep you safe. Prepare yourselves as best you can, as we'll be leaving soon."

Absinthe Makaila
Secretary
Counsellor

Absinthe Makaila Avatar

[color=deeppink]<3[/color]

[send pm]

« Feb 13, 2016 22:26:30 GMT -6 »

Absinthe would stare up at the intercom, a frown forming on her face. It felt too soon, but she's sure no matter when it would happen, her feelings would stay the same.

Her hand lowers to her belly, rubbing it softly. She wouldn't be able to go help...

---

Enya would listen to the announcement quietly, her smile growing! There were sure to be a lot of horrific sights over there! She couldn't wait.

---

Eliott hides under her covers. This was a dream. Only a dream. Lalalala....

---

Jan Di had mixed emotions from the announcement. On the one hand, living comfortably was pretty much over. On the other, this was probably the opportunity Josh and she needed to go find Rhett...

---

"I don't think my parents are going to let me go to war!" Luna yells back at the intercom...but of course it doesn't really work that way.

Notcool.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 14, 2016 2:21:27 GMT -6 »

"Yeah, I just heard it. No, no, I'm fine, really. I knew I'd have to go out and fight when I took this job, right? ...No, I don't know. I want to fight them but I don't want to kill them, you know? Yeah, you're - I guess you're right. I'll figure something out. I'll be careful, I promise. We all will. Love you too, Mom. Dad. See you soon, maybe."

Beep.

Silence hung over the air in his room, smothering him. He'd known, of course, that something like this was coming. He'd known for months, but most importantly, he'd known right after his fight with that armoured figure that a response was inevitable. That peace was no longer an option, not when the Empire had directly attacked Paradigm itself. That he wasn't going to get to turn 17 before it all went to Hell. He'd been sitting in here, fighting the shaking in his limbs, until his phone rang.

He'd have to go out there. He'd have to fight them. Would he have to kill? Images of spikes penetrating geno flesh, of that flash of red light that snuffed out the lives of a whole group of soldiers, of shattering Jim Clavish's neck, raced through his mind. So did memories of yellow light and agony so intense he wanted to scream even now, so long removed from the pain.

Pain he would never let anyone else suffer if he could help it. Pain soldiers fighting in Syria and any other open fronts right now were feeling. Civilians too. It was his duty to stand between the innocent and those that would harm them. That was what agents did - that was what heroes did.

Heroes faced people like that armoured warrior, or Jim, or Chazz, or Kharne, so they couldn't hurt anyone else. No matter how scared.

Absently, he checked his watch, the watch she'd given him for Christmas and he'd worn every day since, even though it was the same time as last he checked plus a few seconds. His other hand tightened on a wooden box, index finger idly tapping out a tune. Its contents were a present, a peace offering, a sign of how serious he was, he'd wanted to give her under better circumstances, on a Valentine's Day that wouldn't be overshadowed by war and fear and death.

Well, he didn't have a choice now. He had to get moving, get it where it needed to go before it was too late. While he still had a chance.

He was halfway up and off the bed, box cradled in one arm, when his phone rang again and a shaking hand pulled it from his pocket with such force it nearly flew across the room. The name wasn't the one he needed to see most, right now, but it still felt as if his heart stopped beating for a moment as he answered.

"...Cara? Haven't heard from you in a while."

Hadn't wanted to hear from her. But the news changed his mind for now.

"No, it's okay. You got the announcement in DC too, huh? Yeah, wish we could catch up under better circumstances. I'm going somewhere, how about we talk while I walk?"

And so off he went, taking comfort in another human's voice wherever he could hear it. Because there were so many people he needed to talk to, before any of them were risking never being able to talk to anyone ever again.

---

"FINALLY!"

No more hiding, no more cowering and bowing and scraping! The time of reckoning was here! His blood had been burning with anticipation since the fight yesterday, knowing what was next. What had to happen. Oh, Jack should have let him just tear Harold apart! It hadn't made much difference anyway!

Most seemed sombre, fearful, but this, this was what Lucien lived for! His hands would be wet with Imperial blood! He would teach them to fear, drive them before him, get the revenge he'd craved his entire life! He'd only been back from the field a short while, and now he would be going back, but not in the dark, with an army of his fellow metahumans!

The bar trembled and thundered as he slammed it back into the weight rack with his superdense muscles, laughing all the while and looking up at the intercom! It was no joke, people would die, would be hurt, the lights would be going out in all the world and wouldn't be lit again until the Empire had fallen. But he would be there all the while, fighting for the right and slaying the dragons that prey upon the weak. His life's purpose, unfolding before him at last!

...But Rhett was out there, somewhere, and Jan Di and Josh and so many of his other friends were about to be in the line of fire, too. He could only be in so many places at once, only protect so many people at a time, especially if he was taking the fight to their enemy. They'd all give all they could give so their banner may advance, but still the worry ate at him a little. Not everybody was born for the fight like him, and what of the unexpected?

What if the fight got brought here to Chicago and Imperials tried to march through Little Paris? What if it happened while he was fighting in Syria, or France, or somewhere else?

Don't think about that, Lucien. Think of the glorious battle ahead! He could only move forwards, doubt was the first step to death!

And yet it wasn't just him out there. So he stormed out of the gym, the walls seeming to shake from his steps as his density slowly went down, looking for those he needed to talk to.

---

"I understand. I'm ready, just say the word."

Out in the field, Martin received the news second-hand. The war was back on, huh? Openly, at least. It had only been a matter of time, he knew that, but he'd hoped not to face it so soon. He'd hoped he could afford to keep on the nice gloves. He'd been fighting, risking himself, for more than fifteen years, that wasn't new, but war coming back to the world was like tearing off the mother of all band aids.

It was hard not to wish for fifteen years ago. Before all this. If it weren't him, it'd be someone else, but everything seemed so much simpler back when he was first learning to be a superhero. First learning the art of telekinesis. Sure, weird shit had been all over the place even then, Paradigm'd fought off an army of demons and cultists right before he joined up, but it was still somehow simpler.

He was strong enough, he just didn't know if he could join the fight without compromising what he wanted to be. Still, the world out there needed people like him; if that meant breaking his code, bloodying his hands once more, well, if he had no other way then so be it. He'd been ready for years.

Enough people had suffered because of the Empire. He'd been too fresh, too inexperienced, when they all first rose to power. Not this time.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2016 2:56:04 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Fredegund Morency
Agent
Intelligence

Fredegund Morency Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 14, 2016 2:34:28 GMT -6 »

Fredegund is curled up in a ball on her bed.

If she wasn't safe here, how safe was she going to be on the front lines?

Her parents will likely try to take her back.

All she wanted to do was help people. Her belongings bring her no comfort as she holds back her frightened tears.

Joshua Eichmann
Agent Trainee
Defense

Joshua Eichmann Avatar

Level 12 Paladin

[send pm]

« Feb 15, 2016 0:20:55 GMT -6 »

Josh was on a bench. He was eating a personal-sized deep dish pizza, meatball and sausage, a fine staple of Chicago cuisine. He was eating before the announcement and he was eating after it, too.

War, huh?

He should have felt giddy or nervous or shaking in his boots from fear. He got that; he totally did get that. Yet, some part of the human fear response just wasn't working. He supposed that the situation was just so surreal, like swimming through a haze. The empire that had all but consumed Europe had now attacked Syria, but that was on the other side of the world.

No... that's right, there was an attack at Paradigm, but in a strange twist of fate Joshua had managed to sleep through it. That had at least made him feel a twinge of guilt, knowing that his power could have been turned to some use and instead he slept through it all like a dingbat. Alarms were going off loudly enough to shatter eardrums. How? How had he missed it?

The alarms rang through his head to try and signal the gravity of the announcement that Director Makalia had just finished with. Josh chomped and chewed, praying he'd fully wake up.

Nothing.

"Huh..." he said aloud. "Wonder if I'm gonna die."

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

Will it be you this time?

[send pm]

« Feb 15, 2016 22:09:09 GMT -6 »

Savaak looks up at the announcement, tilting her head to the side as the words ring out across the campus. Part of her was excited, but the other part wasn't. She'd already been to Europe once and coudln't say she was looking forward to what else the Empire would have in store. What she had seen had been spectator sports, ugly ones, but still a game.

Looks like it was time to find out what else lay in wait.

---

Rebecca looks up from the book she's reading with a frown, the expression growing more prominent as the announcement continues.

War. Sooner or later, it would have happened. She closes the book with a sigh, a single finger marking her place as she looks out the window. The news would likely spread fast.

No matter whether she went or stayed, she'd probably have a battle to deal with.

Evelyn Cravens
Mentor
Intelligence

Evelyn Cravens Avatar

The world forgetting by the world forgot.

[send pm]

« Feb 16, 2016 11:24:05 GMT -6 »

Sarah stared at the intercom, her entire body shaking for a second. She didn't know what to think about it, what to do. She definitely was not about to leave her room. If they really were going to war... She had people to talk to.

---

Evie was nearly in tears, having expected the announcement. She wasn't sure if she was ready to handle this. She had avoided Jack and his family for a little while now, but she knew she couldn't keep doing that. Rubbing her face, breathing in through her nose, she fought for control.

---

Leif gave a little bit of a shrug once the announcement was over. War? Let's do it.

Quick Reply