Author Topic: Supposedly Not A Date (Savaak) (Read 1,107 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Supposedly Not A Date (Savaak)
« Feb 23, 2016 12:52:06 GMT -6 »

The drive into Chicago was uneventful, with a nice amount of small talk and surprisingly little traffic to weave through, the air in the car filling with whatever station it was Savaak chose. A lot of his focus had been on the actual drive, but he'd tried to make sure she didn't feel ignored. Aaron just wasn't famously talkative when behind the wheel.

Still, it had felt nice having her along for the ride, having someone around, and as he pulls into a parking space in a Chicago neighbourhood not terribly far from Paradigm, he looks over to give her a smile, shutting off the car once it's in park and coming round to let her out. Just don't think of it as a date, don't think of it as moving on, Aaron. She might not be who you really want, but in days you're off to war - it's okay not to want to be alone when you're about to step into Hell. If she wants it, once he opens the door he'll even offer his arm, all gentlemanly.

"I dunno how busy it'll be in there, with the news and all, but we shouldn't have too much trouble."

Once she's out of the car, he'll lock it up, pay the parking metre and lead the way to a large cafe-and-bakery on the corner! They're in the neighbourhood for French expats who fled the rise of the Empire, and the cafe's name is simple and patriotic, "République".

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 23, 2016 14:50:04 GMT -6 »

Savaak is enjoying the drive! She's content with small talk, humming softly with the radio station she's picked at some points. The music's upbeat and going through one of those 'popular again in ten years' cycles, which suits her just fine. She takes in the shift in the city as they get closer to the mystery coffee shop, English interspersed with French until it fades into the background.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," she assures him with a smile. People don't bug her. She's gone people watching before, had been only the past week before things went haywire. She steps out of the car and turns, letting him pay for the meter despite preferring to pay for things, as well. She'd brought money anyway; they would see where the day took them.

"So what do you recommend?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 23, 2016 16:44:44 GMT -6 »

"You more a coffee or tea person? Their caramel macchiato, café au lait and espresso are really good, and if tea's more your thing you'll like their green tea and any of their Mariage Frères stuff - I'm a fan of the Earl Grey. If you're hungry, they've got a bunch of stuff, and you've really got to try some of their pastries."

Wow, and he'd even managed not to mangle the French in there. People flow past them as he leads her over, and even in the snippets of conversation that are in French, not English, it's easy to pick up the tension and the nervous excitement in the air. Many of the people they pass by seem to wish they were fighting over in Europe right now. Aaron doesn't seem to notice, leading them inside, where Savaak can get a good look at some of the interior. There's a lot of conversations in French going on, and many of the patrons are wearing military uniforms, but some look up and greet the agents, a few seeming to recognise Aaron and give him toasts!

He smiles back at them, gives them a little half wave, and starts leading Savaak to a table, going for one by a window.

"Sometimes, when this job gets tough, I like to go somewhere I know we're appreciated," he explains, seemingly just for the sake of making conversation. "I don't do all this for the praise, but it helps to know there's people rooting for us."

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016 16:48:41 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 23, 2016 16:51:56 GMT -6 »

Savaak suppresses a chuckle as Aaron starts listing off various options, glad to see him getting into the conversation. By his tone, she can tell that he truly is fond of the place they're headed. The French buzzes about her like a living thing, snippets of conversation she doesn't catch since she doesn't know the language. Still, the tension in the air is palatable.

That doesn't mean Savaak doesn't walk like a queen entering her castle, taking in the interior with an appreciative expression. The cafe seems warm, despite the buzz and military uniforms.

"It's only human to feel that way," she muses with a nod. "Most people want to know that they're not wasting their time and energy to go unnoticed or forgotten."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 23, 2016 17:58:04 GMT -6 »

Did that make Aaron the king?

Eager for a distraction as he was right now, it's easy to get into the conversation. All the easier since Savaak isn't exactly a bad person to chat with. The things she said were interesting, and he finds her good spirits warming him a little. Not all the way, but... enough, for now. Enough to let him keep the rest of the darkness at bay for a while and see if it gets better.

"Everyone needs to feel wanted, sometime or another, yeah. Like what they do matters."

Yeah. Wanted...

Really, he'd known people here would probably light up when they saw a couple Paradigmers walk in, even if only Aaron might be recognised right away as such, and that maybe that'd help Savaak. Given what they both went through and all.

"More than that, though, I like knowing we're making people happy. Helping them, giving them hope things will work out."

When they reach the table, Aaron lets her pick a seat before sitting down across from her, out of politeness! It shouldn't be long before a server arrives.

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2016 11:44:15 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 25, 2016 20:59:36 GMT -6 »

"It's understandable." Savaak nods and smiles, offering a small wave in greeting to those in the room and not at all affected by the fact they lit up at seeing Aaron. Obviously, he needed that, as she can tell by the familiarity of those inside the cafe.

The blonde enjoys the attention they receive, but doesn't thrive off of it or drink it in like someone who's been without water for days. That's Aaron's healing, not her own. Her thoughts dwell on Lisa for a few moments as they take a table, hoping she's doing alright.

"Yes." She offers him a smile and nod at the idea. "Sometimes, it's good to see it like this." And not in other ways.

When the waitress comes up, Savaak orders a blueberry oat bar and a smoked butterscotch latte!

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 28, 2016 0:50:01 GMT -6 »

"For sure. I love this city; it's great to just take things in sometimes, see it all at peace."

Ooh, nice choices. Aaron gives her a smile of his own as he makes his own order - a cup of the Earl Grey he mentioned, and a little opera cake, since the chocolate will pair excellently with the tea - and then relaxes a little for what must be the first time in a month, settling into his seat. Well, first time without being high.

It's quite comfortable, really, much more so than it might have looked at first. Besides, all this is quite nice; it's not about the fact they were recognised as Paradigm, coming in here, more how for a moment everything seems normal. Like they're two random teenagers dropping by a nice cafe, and there's no war, no Paradigm, no heartbreak still ripping his insides apart, no Empire to stop. No talking about what might have been, no thinking about who he used to be.

No Sarah. No Jim Clavish. No burning desire to go into Turkey and either stop him once and for all, or die helping the one he loves. Or, preferably, both. No demons of debt and longing out there, no ache in his very soul for just one small opportunity to redeem himself. For the moment, just the two of them.

It's even possible to forget that many of the people in the cafe right now are obviously being given a sendoff before they go off to fight the Empire. The waitress shouldn't be too long, but for now, it's just them, free to take in the ambiance.

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 28, 2016 23:51:55 GMT -6 »

The fact that he's able to do so without needing a drug or other sort of fix is more reassuring than words, allowing Savaak to muse about the place as she glances around. The energy of the people here prevent it from being too much of a relaxing place, but she imagines it must be nice at other times.

Silence, as it sometimes had on the drive out here, fills the space between them.

"So how did you find this place?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 29, 2016 1:09:34 GMT -6 »

He's only managing it through quite a bit of effort, stubborn fighting against the feelings clawing at him from within, but she doesn't need to know that. Her asking for the story on him knowing about this place, that's a nice distraction, even though he already feels like he's talked about himself and his perspective too much here.

"There's not a really big story to it unfortunately," he says, though not dismissing the question. "I was out with some friends, some older, some younger, a few years back - I and a bunch of the others had just recently moved up from being students to proper junior agents, so we were spending the day out and about, celebrating. One of the group knew this place, so we stopped here for lunch. Liked it enough that when I'm in the mood and I have some time to relax, sometimes I swing by for a bit. I've helped out the owner a couple times, too."

And now he's definitely talked too much about himself, even if it had been invited. Or so his mind tells him. Come on, Aaron, think of something...

"Speaking of finding things, you got any favourite spots in the city? If I can ask, I mean."

It's something, turns the subject away from himself for a bit.

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 29, 2016 21:07:06 GMT -6 »

Savaak shakes her head with a smile. "There doesn't have to be a dramatic or long story to it. What matters is that it's yours."

She lets him tell the story at his own pace, nodding at the end as though to say he'd proven her point; the tale had wandered a bit, but she hadn't been bored by it. She chuckles with a small shake of her head at his worry.

"It's fine, Aaron. Really." She tilts her head to one side, looking up at the ceiling with a thoughtful hum as she considers her answer.

"There have been a couple I'm fond of," she admits as she looks back to him. "There's a park not far from the academy that's nice, and an arcade further into the main city.  There's a little teriyaki place nearby that Eric showed me that I'm fond of.  I was surprised at how quiet it was, considering the location."

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 21:28:37 GMT -6 by Savaak Puckett » Back to Top  

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 29, 2016 21:23:12 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Why's that?"

Eric again. Eric, Eric, goddamned Eric everywhere he goes. Since he's so perfect and all, maybe HE should go to Syria while the rest of them stay home. He could make Sarah's mission pointless with a wave of his hand if he could be bothered. One more portal, to do some actual good, couldn't do that much more damage, not with the frivolous crap he'd been wasting his power on for months beforehand.

...No, take it easy. She doesn't know. She doesn't need to know. Bury the envy and resentment and regret and sorrow and agony. Bury it until it suffocates. He keeps it off his face, his expression looking relaxed, just taking in what she says.

"And how was it? Haven't had teriyaki before."

« Last Edit: Mar 1, 2016 0:43:35 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 29, 2016 21:31:44 GMT -6 »

Right. Savaak makes a note to not mention the Captain further. A single careless slip and already the around them seemed to grow sharp. She shrugs with careless ease, trying to smooth out the ruffled feathers. Boy needed to learn to breathe.

"It's near the arcade I mentioned. Small little place, like you've walked into someone's home. I don't really know how many people actually go there, but it's wonderful. You should try it sometime." She grins, the expression a little more open.

"They're spicy menu is actually spicy. It's fantastic."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Feb 29, 2016 22:33:13 GMT -6 via mobile »

Good call.

"Man, now I wish I'd known about that place before I called you. I'll definitely have to try it."

The smile is genuine, more at ease. The arcade sounded fun, too. Those were still around?

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Feb 29, 2016 22:51:31 GMT -6 »

Until he asked about how she found it, anyway. Savaak keeps up the smile and laughs quietly.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise, so I'd say it's a win either way."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 0:30:31 GMT -6 »

Not much need to ask how she found it. Pleasant, though, huh? That warms him a little, chases away the sharpness that had been in the air a moment ago. He's not someone who needs to be buttered up or anything, it's just nice to see her enjoying this place, enjoying being around him, even though they haven't been served yet. It's easier not to think, that way.

"I'll keep the place in mind for later, then. I'm a little hungry just thinking about it."

Actual levity in his voice! As for when "later" is, who knows. Something to leave up in the air, really. It'd be nice to try if he ends up coming home from the battlefield, for sure.

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 1:57:01 GMT -6 »

Savaak nods with a rueful expression.

"You should! It's worth at least one stop." She'd been there again after Eric had shown it to her on her own. No comment about the "later," however. The remark was too ambiguous and they'd barely spent five minutes into the cafe.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 2:09:45 GMT -6 »

Uh oh, is rue a bad thing? And yeah, "later" was more "some indeterminate point in the future" than a plan for today necessarily.

"I'll have to; seventeen years here and the city can still surprise me. Fancy that."

Sure, Chicago is a huge city, home to millions and seen as a sort of Mecca for all things metahuman in some circles, but it's still nice to hear about something he didn't know was a thing, now and then.

"How was the arcade? I'm surprised there's any still around."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 8:46:28 GMT -6 »

Savaak player kicks autocorrect in its imaginary shin and rolls with it.

"Well, it's a large enough city. Places can change just as much as people; look at it as an adventure." Her eyes brighten at the idea. Going out and exploring parts of the city for a day sounded great to her.

"You'd be surprised what survives over time." Here, she lets out a sunny little laugh, though she keeps the volume down due to the quiet atmosphere. "I mean, they had Ataris and stuff way back when, and people were still hoarding them, what, twenty years later?"

Her parents still had one, but that didn't say much, considering.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 9:35:59 GMT -6 »

Nothing to be ashamed of. Aaron's dad has like, every Playstation generation in the house.

"Sounds about right, I bet there's people who still have 'em even now. Like collecting antiques, but you can still plug it in and play a little if you really want."

It's nice how much she brightens at the idea of old things surviving, and adventure. This outing wasn't just for himself after all, he'd thought it would help her, or at least was worth a shot. Raise spirits, keep minds off what had happened and was going to happen, all that good stuff. They can get to know each other and have a bright day before the storm arrives, all in one.

And after a different storm, for him, but... you know.

"The adventure sounds really nice too, not going to lie. Part of the point of being young in the world, right?"

More levity! Progress!

« Last Edit: Mar 1, 2016 10:13:02 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 21:09:05 GMT -6 »

"Something like that," she agrees. He seems to get it!

"Who says it has to stop at being young?" She sounds rather delighted at the idea. Progress, indeed.

"Who knows, maybe we could hit the arcade while we're out and about."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 22:10:34 GMT -6 »

"I'm all for it, it's been a while since I've gotten to do something like that. Hopefully I haven't gotten rusty."

The last time he'd gone out just for the sake of going out had been before the wayward home. He'd had outings, but they'd been friends insisting on dragging him out for some air, or him making supply runs or shopping trips, or roaming Chicago to take in the city atmosphere and look for good deeds that needed doing. Not just fighting crime, but helping anybody who looked like they needed it, be that metahuman help or no.

Seeing her so happy about the thought of exploring the city and going on adventures, though, that hits the spot far better than the tea and cake he ordered could. It's hot chocolate on the coldest day of winter. Without realising it, he's started to genuinely brighten a bit.

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 1, 2016 22:58:33 GMT -6 »

"Then you'll be in the best place to remember and relearn." She gives a confident nod, glad to see he's continuing to brighten and actually talk.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 2, 2016 3:09:37 GMT -6 »

"Hopefully. Or I'll end up making a jerk of myself."

He lets out a little chuckle, then actually pauses and blinks, surprised he even can laugh right now. Luckily, their orders arrive around then, letting him cover that by thanking the waitress!

Mm. That smells good.

"Sounds like it'll be fun, either way."

Savaak Puckett
Mentor
Intelligence

Savaak Puckett Avatar

Bundle of sunshine

[send pm]

« Mar 2, 2016 19:39:12 GMT -6 »

Looks like there may actually be a person amidst all the gloom! Savaak chuckles and shakes her head.

"Why do you say you'd be a jerk?" She pauses to nod and thank the barista, a knowing look in her eyes as she takes a sip of whatever she ordered. The mug hides the secretive smile, which disappears when she sets it back on the saucer.

He's not fooling her.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 2, 2016 20:51:51 GMT -6 »

"You know, a fool, a screwup. It's not a serious thing."

Aaron kind of uses "jerk" as a catch-all term. He has stronger language for actual insults. Since he's actually paying attention, he catches the knowing look she gives him but not the smile, and in return fires her a curious glance. Not offended or annoyed, just a little inquisitive arch of an eyebrow. He can't help feeling she knows something he doesn't, even as much as he's already relaxed.

A lot of people know things he don't. He takes a sip of his tea to try to distract from that thought, and nods to her latte once he sets down the cup.

"How d'you like it?"

Quick Reply