Author Topic: Need Another Taste (Val) (Read 1,178 times)
๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 5:47:30 GMT -6 »

She shrugs.

"Honestly, I've always had a hard time understanding the so-called difference they insisted there was."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 6:05:09 GMT -6 »

That makes two of them.

"I wouldn't know, obviously, but it kind of sounds like just another skillset to learn from the stories I've heard. And if it can be learnt, and we might end up having to tackle Ghast in the future, I'd like to try."

Great, more things to train for. As if people don't complain at him about how much he trains and studies already. Like half the people he knows have said it's unhealthy, including the counsellor

"I ended up getting a bit of a taste of it during that time warp, anyway."

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 6:16:35 GMT -6 »

"When it comes to defeating a demon, Director and Doctor Makaila have more experience with that than I do."

Unless you count people possessed by demons... But she was boosted and backed up for that.

"A taste of what?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 6:29:30 GMT -6 »

"The power we're talking about, on the magical side of things."

Rath's power. The corruption that had been cooking him from the inside out.

"I got hurt by one of those demon things, and I was filled with so much rage it's a wonder I could think at all, but I felt this incredible boost of power, too. Like I had no limits, like all I had to do was embrace it and I could save everyone. Not just the other agents, everyone in Chicago - it felt like I could single handedly stop the entire invasion. It was literally boiling my blood, but the warp ended before I could give in."

Except for a really little taste finishing off that cat thing. He'd crushed it like an ant and afterwards it'd unnerved him how easily it had come to him.

"I know that kind of power is nothing to be trifled with, I know it was corrupting me. And I know how dangerous tangling with anything like that is. But if there's some way to tap into that kind of power without being corrupted, I'd like to try to find it. I could do so much good for everyone if I had that strength."

And on some level, he just needs to feel that strong again. Especially going off to war.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 21:10:24 GMT -6 »

She furrows her brow as Aaron describes his experience.

"And how were you planning on not being corrupted?"

She doesn't sound too happy...

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 21:51:50 GMT -6 »

"I don't know. During the time warp, I was trying not to call on that power, because I knew it would corrupt me. All I know is it's an infinite multiverse out there, right? There has to be a way, or something similar."

He totally gets why she wouldn't be happy to hear that, though. He's not even sure it's him talking, or the remnants of that power's hold on his brain. His expression falters, and he suddenly looks like he regrets even mentioning it.

"This isn't something I should trifle with or jump into without doing my homework, I've heard the stories of what happened last time. The thought's just been following me around in my head ever since, making me ask 'what if'. Outright seeking Rath out again for his power is a horrible idea, obviously, and I'm not going to do it. Too many people would be in danger."

But becoming powerful enough to stop Rath if someone else brings him back into play? A tempting thought. Magic could make him strong enough to redeem himself, to be worthy of everyone. It could defeat the Empire without anyone having to die. He could protect everyone, make everyone's lives better.

Eventually, when most or all of the books are where they're supposed to be, he lets out a breath.

"I'm not after anything like that, or magic in general, for myself. I just want to grow strong enough to protect everyone, to make the world a better place."

Even though everyone, including the Director himself, tells him it's impossible. He'd sort of promised people the day after that time bubble he'd ease up on the hero complex, not that he believed he had one, but it has its hooks in even deeper than that power boost did.

An interesting question, though. Where's the line, between 'hero complex' and just wanting to help people and protect people and make a difference in the world?

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 22:31:28 GMT -6 »

"I can't speak for those who've been influenced by Rath, but if you have to search for the ends of the universe to not be corrupted, the problem lies within."

Cryptic, but this is coming from someone who had to grapple with her own demons for a really, really long time, inside and out.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 23:04:18 GMT -6 via mobile »

Cryptic? Maybe, but he understands.

"That's not quite how I meant it. I'm talking about how it almost cooked me alive from the inside."

It DID kill Savaak.

"As for being influenced, yes, I'm a bit worried about that, though I don't know if I'd have to go to the 'ends of the universe'. It's just that, well, Director Stark and Doctor Makaila couldn't fight it off without help; I feel like it'd be arrogant to assume I could. To act like it's not a concern."

« Last Edit: Mar 4, 2016 3:14:12 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 1, 2016 6:37:58 GMT -6 »

"Hmm... Sounds like the best bet would be familiarizing yourself with the help they got."

In hindsight, she was so lucky that her paranoia kept her from touching any of the relics. All that power, and a dwindling support network. That would've been a recipe for disaster.

"As for wanting to be strong enough to help everyone..."

She sighs, not looking forward to this admission.

"Take it from someone with a very formidable ability: Even I don't feel like I'm strong enough help everyone, and that's a lot of the time. The only thing I can recommend is to be satisfied with everything you've already been doing."

Is Valencia satisfied? Not really... She witnessed Hyperion getting toppled, but for the Empire to last 15 more years in spite of everything she has at her disposal is a blow to what little pride she has.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 1, 2016 8:17:29 GMT -6 »

Somewhere, out in the infinite multiverse, there's probably a world where she did take one of the relics and its power. Things probably didn't end well on that world...

Aaron falls quiet, listening, drinking in her words like he used to with everyone. A skill he has to reconnect with, clearly. Besides, it's important advice, and he's heard the stories of Agent Tiao's power, how it had once been near-infinite and was still pretty damn close by some estimates - to have her admit that even she, with all her might, can't help everyone, is quite the thing. Especially since he can only imagine how hard it must be to admit; after all, even with her around to throw her power at them, the Empire still exists, there are still people starving in the world, cancer is still a thing, there are still wars and dictators and natural disasters. Etc. etc.

...'Be satisfied,' though? That's all she has for him? Take what he has and be happy with it? No, that can't be all. If that were all, what's all his training been for? If he stops pressing onwards, if he just rests on his laurels, then he'll never get anywhere.

"I understand what you're saying," he finally says after a long moment, giving her a nod and a thoughtful look. "I appreciate it, too. But I'm not at a point where I can be satisfied, not yet. I have too much to learn, too much room to grow, too much I need to do. I mean, I got this ability from my mother and I'm nowhere near as powerful as she is, so I know I haven't hit my peak yet or anything. And I can't just stop training, stop trying to improve and get stronger and get better at this whole hero thing."

It's kind of who he is, in a lot of ways. But all that might not be what she means, it's just that the idea of 'being satisfied,' of not trying to be more than he is, goes against everything he's lived his life for.

"I know I can't help all the people in the world at once, 24/7, I'd go crazy trying, but I need to keep getting better or I'm not going to be able to help anyone at all."

Though maybe he can do that without seeking out sorcerers and evil gods for their power and knowledge.

« Last Edit: Mar 1, 2016 8:17:58 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 2, 2016 5:13:48 GMT -6 »

"I realize that this may not make sense, but I mean in the sense of acknowledging that the only thing you can do is your best and all you should aspire to be. 'This is all I can do for now', as opposed to 'This wasn't good enough'."

It was a really hard lesson she had to learn.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 2, 2016 5:45:47 GMT -6 »

That actually makes more sense than the first way she said it, in Aaron's view. Maybe in part because like half the people he talks to tell him something similar. It's not that he's ignoring the people who say that, more that he's just not that kind of person, inside. He can't not try, he can't accept, he can't settle. And that's not even touching on the envy that's been tearing him apart inside, the feeling that he honestly might as well not even have powers with Eric around, and with how little good his darkness seems to do anyone.

Even the things he's done out there he's legitimately proud of feel hollow with that in mind. Worthless. And yet here he is, still trying, still wanting to grow into the hero who can save everyone - screwy, ain't it.

"No, I think I get you. Basically, keep trying to get better at what I do, become stronger, but cut myself some more slack, accept that I'm not always going to have all the answers? Because like I said, I know that if I seriously expect myself to solve every problem in the world, I'm just going to drive myself nuts."

He's not much for going "welp, I tried," admittedly. He has more of his father's stubbornness than he would usually like to admit, a few times now it's led to him just smashing his head against a problem until one thing or another gives way.

How many times was he going to have people tell him to take it easier on himself before he actually goes ahead and does that?

« Last Edit: Mar 2, 2016 17:51:21 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 2, 2016 19:17:19 GMT -6 »

"Something like that, yes."

She looks at Aaron's shadow.

"So what is your ability, exactly? Shadows? It apparently has some kind of mass to it."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 2, 2016 19:34:49 GMT -6 »

"Shadows are just part of it. I can generate and control darkness itself, in a bunch of ways - what I can do with it seems to be mostly based on focus and creativity, though I've noticed people able to overpower it before. I've made shadow bolts, constructs, platforms, walls, clouds of darkness... it's got a bunch of uses, theoretically. I've used it to fight fires before, because I can make darkness and shadows solid enough to smother the flames."

It's a bit of a tricky power to explain, but if anyone'd get it, he figures it's the near-omnipotent reality warper.

"I've been trying to figure out how to make it more powerful. For example, I should be able to just snuff out light, right? Kill all the photons in it? Since that's exactly what I do when I darken the air? But lasers and metahuman light attacks often just go right through."

Somewhere in there, there's an "in blackest night" joke, but he's not going to make it.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 3, 2016 5:59:46 GMT -6 »

She doesn't even know where to begin. If light is a bunch of waves, does that mean that Aaron was moving around masses where the waves "can't" hit? Was it the inverse of creating waves? But it's tangible enough to lift books... Yet nothing like her ink. Not to mention his thought about killing photons...

Valencia wears a squinty expression.

"Umbrakinesis is weeirrdd... As for lasers, I would say it depends on which kinds you're talking about. If you mean the kind the Empire uses, that technology was more or less inspired by another metahuman's light-ish ability."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 3, 2016 16:08:47 GMT -6 »

"Chazz Lorenzo's, I remember."

He had done his homework! And he also agrees with Val, his power is really weird and hard for him to entirely understand. Not that it matters when 'can pull literally anything out of a hat/a hole in the air' is a power somebody here has.

"Lasers in general are hard for me to do anything about, and given the Empire uses almost nothing but those red and yellow beams based off Lorenzo's power in their weapons, you can see why I'm worried about it. Even after them, I have to make this power stronger so I can defend people; after we beat the Empire, there's still going to be supervillains out there. I did block a laser once, a few months back, so it should be theoretically possible..."

Hrm.

"Maybe if I think about it as less a solid wall like I'd block bullets with, and more the darkness absorbing the light as it passes through? But that has all sorts of problems of its own. All I know is there has to be a way."

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 5, 2016 3:15:22 GMT -6 »

Valencia shrugs again.

"Maybe think back to when you blocked that laser then."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 5, 2016 3:17:11 GMT -6 »

"I'd been given a power boost by a teammate, and threw a wall of darkness between the shooter and his target. So all I know is it's, theoretically, within my capabilities."

More shrugging!

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 7, 2016 1:46:55 GMT -6 »

"That would explain it. Just because you could do it with a boost means you can do it without one though..."

She crosses her arms and sits in a chair.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 7, 2016 2:34:21 GMT -6 »

"It means it's theoretically possible, I'm just not at a level where I can do it yet. Because if it were just straight up impossible, it wouldn't work even with a boost, right?"

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 10, 2016 0:38:48 GMT -6 »

"That's like saying you could fly after using an airplane one time..."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 10, 2016 0:48:35 GMT -6 »

Aaron meets that with thoughtful, mildly offended silence! What's he supposed to do, accept his powers are worthless whenever someone with a glorified flashlight shows up? Why can he generate darkness at all, then? What is that if not forcing an absence of light?

"If I can't figure it out, then I'm useless against the Empire. And anyone with similar stuff. How can I protect anyone when my power is like tissue paper to them?"

He says it half to himself.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 10, 2016 1:08:30 GMT -6 »

She tilts her head.

"Are you really useless?"

Now she's offended!

"I've met all sorts of people who've been more useful than I have been. People without powers, while my powers were all I knew how to use."

There was a time where just lightly using her reality warping drew enemies to their location, and it was an older Aaliyah who looked out for her.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 10, 2016 1:24:27 GMT -6 »

Aaron looks up, simultaneously confused and apologetic at the offence in her tone!

"I'm sorry...?"

It's a genuine apology, he's just not sure he gets why his feelings about himself would bother her. Or was it an accidental implication that those she knew without power were useless? Because he'd never mean that, he never thought his power made him "above" anyone.

"I didn't mean it that way. I guess I just feel like I don't know if I can do any good how I am, not for myself or for anyone else. Lately I don't feel strong enough to protect people out there, to do good; I didn't mean to imply anything about you or people you know."

He would never treat people as lesser for not having power, but what good is he to anyone aside from his powers? What does he have to offer anybody? His family fortune, maybe? Take away umbrakinesis and he's some rich kid who knows martial arts and wants to be a superhero.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Mar 10, 2016 1:32:45 GMT -6 »

She closes her eyes to calm down.

"You've mentioned having creativity, and the different ways you've applied your shadows. Shadow bolts, constructs, platforms, walls, clouds of darkness, smothering flames. Work smarter, not harder."

Quick Reply