Author Topic: Need Another Taste (Val) (Read 1,181 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 5:01:35 GMT -6 »

Soon, Aaron is off to war, but there's so many loose ends before he goes. So many questions, so much unfinished business. Including that business with Rath, that time warp, for lack of a better term, on his 17th birthday of all days. A day he'd give anything to have spent with the world at peace, to have spent with Sarah, to have spent not hated.

His research had been derailed that night by running into Becca, after she left he'd been unable to really focus on anything and he'd ended up just passing out with his face in the pages. So here he is, back in the library, one of the tomes he'd been poring over that night under his arm as he looks for the librarian!

If she's not off to war already, she would know, he's sure. He remembers the stories.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 16:58:16 GMT -6 »

Gengar is making a mess out of the library. The only creature allowed to do so.

The Pokemon is making a tower of books. Upon spotting Aaron, it floats closer to try and grab at the one under his arm!

[GENGAR]: "Gengar!"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 17:12:10 GMT -6 »

"No, thank you. This book's important."

Aaron is a full foot taller than the Pokemon, more or less, and not particularly in the mood for antics, so keeping the book out of Gengar's reach isn't a difficult task. Ah, the encounters you have at Paradigm - as much as everything has been hurting lately, he really does love this place. There's never a dull day.

"Have you seen the librarian anywhere?"

Pokemon understand English, right?

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 17:33:51 GMT -6 »

Gengar paws at the book anyways, then eventually stops to look at Aaron with its large eyes. It opens its mouth wide and

[GENGAR]: "BLAAAAAAAGH~~"

sticks its tongue out at him. The Pokemon floats back to its tower of books, phases through to the other side, then starts batting at random shadows like a cat would with a laser pointer.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 17:40:53 GMT -6 »

"You too, buddy."

Gengar isn't so bad. Kind of cute in his own way. The encounter almost, almost makes him actually smile. Shaking his head, the ghost of a smile still on his lips, he continues his search!

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 17:55:23 GMT -6 »

Gengar keeps batting at the shadows on the walls and the ground until it gets the idea to knock over its book tower onto the most suspicious shadow of them all!

The books bounce as if something in the ground smacked against it. Gengar laughs, tumbling through the air and into nothing, its cries leaving an echo.

[GENGAR]: "Geng geng geng geng geng geng geng geng~!"

Valencia sits up from the book pile and pushes the heavier hardcovers off her.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 18:03:32 GMT -6 »

!

Aaron had heard the tower start to fall, and had started to call up his power to catch the collapsing books, but before he could actually think about putting that plan to action the avalanche had run its course. Gengar had run off, and the librarian was there, digging herself out of the pile.

Huh, she'd been right under his nose, so to speak. Aaron walks over, voice quiet and looking sheepish.

"You all right?"

He'd never been sure whether to call her "Agent Tiao," "Mrs. Tiao," or "Ma'am," so no title for the moment, but his voice is respectful and concerned at least.

She's a more-or-less all-powerful reality warper, of course she's all right.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 18:13:58 GMT -6 »

"I'm fine."

She rubs her nose and stands up to look at the mess she caught with her face. Too deep in thought to look at Aaron, she addresses him at least.

"Is there anything you need help with?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 18:26:29 GMT -6 »

"Um, yes."

The book avalanche and the distracted look on her face made him lose a little momentum, a little of the confidence he'd dragged in here.

Well, it's important, so skip right to the important part.

"If it's not a bad time, a few days ago something... happened. Something to do with Rath. I'm still sketchy on the details, but I think something time-warped a group of agents to the day he attacked the city, then sent us all back."

At that, he extends the book to her, so she can see he's been reading up on the demon in question and various other magicy things.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I've been trying to get a bit of research done before they ship me off. I remember the stories from the old days, thought I could ask you for some help? At the least, I thought someone should know what we ran into."

And who better to go to? He'd heard this stuff is kind of her speciality.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 19:14:14 GMT -6 »

"Hmm... To be honest, I think there're people who know a bit more than me on the account of them experiencing Rath first-hand, but did you hear anything before everything went weird?"

She flips through the book until she comes across her scribbled notes from Early Deities from A to Z.
Tiao Lei Shen Avatar
Abnegazar, a darkborn. Mystically connected to the Bell of Uthool, Abnegazar is one of the Demon's Three. He is a creature of mischief, misfortune, and deceit.

Tiao Lei Shen Avatar
Ghast, a darkborn. Mystically connected to the Silver Wheel of Nyorlath, Ghast is one of the Demon's Three. He is a creature of the crossroads, of deals and debts, of longing.

Rath, a darkborn. Mysticall connected to the Red Jar of Calythos, Rath is one of the Demon's Three. He is a creature of rage, of pain and violence, of power.

"Did you hear Rath, Ghast, or Abnegazar? They're usually 'polite' enough to let us know who's there."

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016 19:22:51 GMT -6 by ๖ۣValencia Tiao » Back to Top  

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 19:17:05 GMT -6 »

"Yes!"

Aaron blinks, as realisation - a little excitement? - had flashed across his face like Zeus' thunderbolt, and visibly takes a second to restrain himself.

"Sorry, I mean, yes. Before it started, the skies went dark and there was this powerful gust of wind, and I heard a voice in the air. It whispered Ghast's name."

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 19:30:13 GMT -6 »

"Another demon after so long... This is scary... And you saw Rath-ish demons even though you heard Ghast's name. According to my notes, that demon has to do with crossroads, deals, debts, and longing."

The debts and longing part is what gets to her. She knows that feeling all too much, even now. A theater... A happy and healthy husband... Time and circumstances have not been kind to Valencia. She does not want to encounter this demon if she could help it.

"You did mention something like a timewarp, so if I could venture a guess, someone made a deal to go back to when Rath was attacking. Either the deal was upheld or fell through is what made everything go back to normal."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 19:46:02 GMT -6 »

Aaron sort of does. There's so much he longs for, so much he wishes he could undo or redo. If someone made a deal with this Ghast to go back and fix something that went wrong, well, he totally gets why. Demons are bad news, and Faustian bargains never seem to work out, but he's not sure he could resist. And more than just that, if he's the demon of deals, then what says that's the only deal that can be made? Maybe that power without the corruption is possible - maybe even turning Ghast against the Empire.

Terrible consequences. Not worth the risk. That's what he tells himself. But the temptation is there.

"One of the others, Savaak, she told me that a woman from back then got warped to the present when the time bubble or whatever burst, so that'd make sense? If she was part of the deal somehow?"

Savaak had been there, but Aaron hadn't pressed for too much all things considered. A shadow creeps into his pocket and turns on his phone, rattling out a text to her while his attention stays on Valencia. Telling Savaak about Ghast, the demon of crossroads, deals, debts and longing, how someone'd probably made an arrangement to go back to Rath's attack for something, maybe that woman she mentioned, and how that was probably what was behind the time warp.

...Crossroads, huh? He can't help remembering Becca's "reading" of him.

"Rath tried to punch through into our reality and take it over for his own, or something like that. In your studies, does Ghast seem like that kind of demon, or is he likely to leave us alone if we don't go to him first?"

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016 20:02:02 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 20:04:19 GMT -6 »

"Hey. You don't need to HIDE anything in front of me."

She remarks in annoyance at his pocket being manipulated by the shadow. Taking notes, she'd understand. But what was he doing in his pocket? She didn't like it. Her privacy is important to her.

Gengar peeks up from Aaron's shadow.

"Sounds like one of you found a participant of the deal, at least. As for what I could ASSUME about Ghast, he was able to function through the desires of SOMEBODY, didn't he? In a way, he's here enough to grant those desires now, so he's probably looming around until one finds the other."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 20:13:47 GMT -6 »

Hi Gengar

"Oh, um, sorry."

He pulls out the phone, sheepishly!

"I was just taking down notes; Savaak and I have been sort of looking into this, much as we can before we go off to fight, so I thought she should know about this Ghast guy. I'm sorry."

The remorseful bit of colour to his cheeks remains even as she theorises on Ghast, and he goes quiet for a moment to ponder that.

"I guess I was just wondering if he's a threat, but then, they probably all are, huh? Who knows what the next guy to find him will ask for, after all."

If the Empire isn't stopped, though, there's not going to be a world for Ghast to mess with.

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016 20:14:27 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 25, 2016 20:33:11 GMT -6 »

"Okay..."

She's satisfied with the apology for now. Gengar sinks back into the shadow, then appears beneath the fallen books, moving one of them as if it was carried by an army of ants. Valencia conjures little Patapon to help the Pokemon. They pick up and move the books while chanting in a foreign language.

"It is best to regard the demons as threats for the time being, yes. What else have you found on your own?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 26, 2016 1:59:36 GMT -6 »

"There hasn't been much time to learn a whole lot, it was all super recent, but I did do some research of my own into our last run-in with all these demons and such, I think I saw mentions of a few spells, too - I don't know what all would go in to learning them, though."

Really, and what's a little embarrassing to admit, he'd just gone straight to her because he figured she'd have the best answers.

"Want me to help with the books, by any chance?"

The chanting is catchy, but maybe he can be useful.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2016 2:33:18 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 26, 2016 4:25:26 GMT -6 »

"I'll have to do some independent research and come back with more notes then. They've been long overdue anyways."

The books are carried off to a beat, but in all honesty, it would be easier if humans picked up the books and put them back on their appropriate shelves compared to an army of tiny eyeballs. Valencia watches them go. Some of the Patapon are happy to be regarded by their god(?)...

[PATAPON]: "KAMI~!!"

"I mean, if you have nothing better to do, you could help put the books away if you want."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 27, 2016 6:01:16 GMT -6 »

"I thought I should do something in return for you helping me out."

It's time he could be spending on getting ready for the coming deployment, but still. It would take his mind off things. Off people. Not only does he start returning books to their proper shelves, but shadowy arms reach out and start doing the work as well, making for a much faster task!

"Independent research, you said? If I can ask, where'd you learn this stuff?"

He knows his Paradigm history, but not every single detail, and she's the one who was there. When all this business with the demons was going on, he was... maybe a few months old?

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 3:57:16 GMT -6 »

"Thank you."

The Patapon celebrate with dancing and singing! In their native language, of course. If only they had a great beast to hunt down and kill in celebration! Ah well. For now they'll settle with Gengar giving them some strips of bacon from Valencia's lunch for their service.

"Magic? I learned about it from some magical people I searched for online. From there, they got involved when the demons got out of hand. They keep to themselves."

She still wonders what they're up to.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 4:03:23 GMT -6 »

Wow, those Patapon are really happy to be helped by him. Or maybe they're just happy little guys in general.

"So you just went up and asked to learn stuff from them?"

And how does one find real live wizards online? That doesn't sound like something that pops up on Google. His physical and shadow hands keep sorting and returning books as he talks!

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 5:04:53 GMT -6 »

"They gave me permission to ask questions. As for my reality warping... I taught myself most of it, if not all of it."

Valencia had good Google-fu skillz.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 5:16:48 GMT -6 »

"Are they usually willing to teach people?"

Because if so, well, Aaron doesn't really have time now, but some house calls might be in order down the road...

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 5:36:11 GMT -6 »

"I don't think so, not unless you're magic."

She's not entirely sure how private things are for them anymore, after the demons and... Faustus?

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Need Another Taste (Val)
« Feb 28, 2016 5:40:12 GMT -6 »

"Being a metahuman's got to count for something, doesn't it?"

But then, the difference between magic and superhuman powers is always a little fuzzy. Sort of a to-may-to to-mah-to situation in his mind.

Quick Reply