Author Topic: Survived [Open] (Read 763 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 22:57:05 GMT -6 »

"I think I'll pass this time."

Though his expression wavered, despite himself, and he gave her another concerned look. Because how was he not supposed to interpret that as a threat?

"I'm sorry, did I say something to offend you?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

In the Land of Gods and Monsters.

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 22:58:54 GMT -6 »

"It was a point to prove," she said with a shrug. Then, yawning, she leaned back and seemed to relax a bit, rubbing one of her hands carefully.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 23:09:15 GMT -6 »

Aaron just looked at her for a moment, thoughtful, then realisation hit him. Shit, that wasn't a threat, that was a description. Fuck. Stupid goddamn Aaron. He actually made a little "gah" noise and shook his head at himself, as if not aware he was doing it.

"...And I just got it. That can not feel good, dealing with that all the time."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 23:16:49 GMT -6 »

"You get used to it," she muttered and sighed softly. "You get shadows. What's the worst that happens to you? I get my own electricity. I could stop my own heart."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 23:30:22 GMT -6 »

"Well, theoretically my own darkness could tear me apart if I weren't careful, or, I dunno, maybe blind myself, but that doesn't match up to 'can stop your own heart'. I'm sorry you have to deal with that."

It's sincere, not an apology sorry but more an expression of sympathy. Because seriously, that's pretty scary to live with - imagine if one wrong use of power, one tiny loss of control, and Aaron stopped his own heart. He'd trade powers with her in a heartbeat, not out of envy, but just so she wouldn't have to deal with that any more. And also because shadow powers are actually kind of fun, and maybe she could enjoy herself.

Did all electrokinetics have to go through what she did? Did Jack spend every day worried he'd fry his own heart?

"I wasn't trying to like, compare powers or anything. I was just interested in learning a little about yours."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 20, 2016 23:51:51 GMT -6 »

"Is all Gucci."

She shrugged, looking away from him.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 0:11:26 GMT -6 »

"If you're sure."

Somewhere in there, he'd covered his tray with a little sheet of darkness so she wouldn't have to see it, since she'd looked like the sight of it would make her sick before. But he kept his tone how it was, no edge or anything to his words. He wasn't completely dense, but then, not everyone would open up to him just because he asked nicely.

"Have you done any work with the Director? He has electricity powers, too, maybe he can help."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 14:44:09 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Boss man uses the lightning in the air. I use the lightning the body produces. Two different kinds."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 16:26:32 GMT -6 »

"Ah. Thought it was worth a shot."

Huh, well there was something Aaron learnt. He'd heard of Jack firing lightning from his hands and whatnot, so he thought maybe his powers included bioelectricity, too.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 20:36:29 GMT -6 »

She gave a little shrug. In actuality, Leif knew only the bare minimum about Jack, so she wasn't one to talk about his power while he wasn't around to correct them. Looking away, she reached up to fiddle with her dog tags, an obvious nervous twitch.

She didn't bother to say anything else.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 22:27:54 GMT -6 »

Obviously not something she liked to talk much about, which was perfectly understandable. If he had to live every single day knowing his power might just randomly make him drop dead on the spot, he'd get tired of thinking about it too. He might even be tempted to find some way to remove his powers outright - that she was still here, using her ability to do good, that was something he could respect quite a bit.

For the moment, he finished his protein shake and let her have her thoughts, not leaving, but unsure how much further to push. Even if some things still ate at him.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 21, 2016 22:29:40 GMT -6 »

He fell silent and she figured that was the end of it. She turned her attention away from him, back to her fruit cup, and continued to pick idly at the food. Her appetite was gone.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 22, 2016 16:14:20 GMT -6 »

It wasn't, but she'd looked like she wanted a little time for her own head, so he was giving it to her. He'd been there before. He even ignored his food, to spare her the sight of him eating it and in solidarity with her obvious lack of appetite. Frankly, part of it was he wasn't sure what else to talk about, to ask about, to do. He'd offered to listen to anything she might end up having on her mind, in the past, and if she would take him up on it she would, if she wouldn't she wouldn't. He couldn't make her.

Besides, he didn't want to be annoying. She already probably looked down on him enough.

"Any chance I can get you anything? You don't look too interested in that fruit cup."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 23, 2016 13:14:50 GMT -6 »

Leif cocked a brow at him as he spoke again, finally turning her attention back to him.

"Anything? Nah, I'm Gucci. I'm just not hungry."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 23, 2016 20:49:19 GMT -6 »

"I'm sure they've got coffee or tea or something, if you drink it. Up to you, though."

Maybe it'd help her tiredness, he was thinking. But then, sometimes you just needed to rest, especially going through a mission like they'd just been on. A lot of people died in that building, and any of them could have been among that number if things had gone slightly different. But maybe part of him just wanted to be there in case things weren't as Gucci as she claimed.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 23, 2016 20:50:31 GMT -6 »

She gave another non-committal shrug.

"I'm already dehydrated enough. I'll just down some water and be done with it."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 23, 2016 21:07:46 GMT -6 »

"Probably a better idea. Or some Gatorade or something."

He wasn't as non-committal as she was, though he seemed to pause as if considering what to say, looking at her with concern. Sure, she was just tired, she was "Gucci," but he still cared about how worn out she looked.

"If they still make that stuff. Pretty sure."

He quirked her a little smile, as if trying to raise her spirits a bit.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 24, 2016 10:34:15 GMT -6 »

She cocked a brow but gave a little shrug. Her smile was fleeting, but at least it was there.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 26, 2016 16:10:17 GMT -6 »

It was indeed, and that was something! He kept his smile, not as fleeting as hers but not strong enough to seem weird or overwhelming. Though he couldn't help the twinge of guilt still there. Overthinking things? Maybe. Maybe not.

"Hey, uh, this might sound weird, but I wasn't trying to focus just on your power or anything, just now. When you mentioned the whole 'struck by lightning' thing I thought I'd try to figure out a way to help you out. You know, since I've opened up so much to you and you've helped me, I was interested in knowing stuff about you and doing something in return."

He let that hang there for a moment, then had the grace to look sheepish, glancing away from her a little.

"Lot of words, I guess, but I just realised I must've sounded pretty cold just then."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 26, 2016 16:14:03 GMT -6 »

Leif cocked a brow at him and gave a shake of her head.

"Look, Aaron. I didn't mind helping you out. That's all fine and good. But I don't need your help. My power? That's my thing, and I'm all Gucci. If I need your help, I'll say something. But I'm not saying anything right now."

She stood up from her spot on the floor.

"Thanks, though. Really."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 26, 2016 16:34:36 GMT -6 »

"All right, no worries. It's not just that though."

Where was this coming from? Unsure, maybe just something he'd been dwelling on for a while. He always knew what he meant by things, but when did he stop thinking about how he might be coming off? Had he really let himself get that confident, that assured that everyone would know what he meant and where he was coming from?

"It sounded like you were opening up to me and without meaning to I just kind of... you know, shot it down, probably came off like I just cared about what you bring to the table, not you as a person, when that's not the case at all. If I came off like it was, that was just cold. I know you said to stop apologising, but I'm sorry."

Sure, she seemed all right, and maybe he was just dumping his imaginings on someone who frankly had no idea what he was talking about. That was possible. He'd found himself projecting his own stuff on other people before after all.

"Guess I thought I should say something. It was hitting me before that for all I've dumped on you, I don't actually know you as well as I'd like to."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 26, 2016 16:43:22 GMT -6 »

"No. You don't."

Leif offered him a smile, but no words other than that. She grabbed the trash she had, just a simple, half-filled fruit cup, and went to toss it away. She didn't seem to have much to say on that matter.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 27, 2016 16:51:25 GMT -6 »

"I know, but I want to. I've been trying to respect boundaries, not come off like a weirdo or make you uncomfortable, all that, but still."

Aaron stood up, but the nearest trash can was very close indeed, and he didn't want to seem like he was just following her around. So he stayed nearby, but wasn't like, right on top of her or anything.

"Would it be okay to ask you more about yourself?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 27, 2016 17:07:37 GMT -6 »

He actually managed to get her to stop. She turned, those sapphire eyes shining with something.

"You know I'm a druggie. You know my brother's dead. You know that I am more than a little fucked up in the head. You know I hate meat. You know I don't have many friends. You know I'll kill whoever and whatever fucks with those friends. You know that I learned how to be a soldier from Neil, and therefore, I'm a damn good soldier. And you know that I manipulate the electricity that my body creates."

She snickered, giving a shake of her head.

"From what I know of you... That's already more than you actually want to know. So it's all Gucci, kid. Don't worry about me."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Survived [Open]
« Mar 27, 2016 17:25:12 GMT -6 »

"It isn't."

Aaron was maybe not good at asking things, and maybe he'd been burnt so badly by opening up to people he'd been starting to try to look at things from a purely professional standpoint. He wanted to know her, but was he worth her knowing him? He wasn't sure he thought so, and why would he be? His superpower wasn't darkness, it was ruining everything good that comes into his life and not realising it until too late. Her, Sarah, Eric, so many of his other friends - hell, he was surprised Brad or any of the others still acknowledged him.

He'd considered just locking stuff away until the war was done... but that would take a very long time, and was it worth how he was coming off to people? Frankly, it'd been unfair to her, telling so much about himself without that going both ways.

Quick Reply