Author Topic: Rooftops are Cliché (Silas) (Read 594 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Rooftops are Cliché (Silas)
« Mar 19, 2016 17:18:56 GMT -6 »

Thoughtfulness and restless energy and a desire to avoid the reporters fluttering around home base, especially with news spreading that the Empire had given up on their invasion of Syria and started pulling back its forces, had led Aaron to the roof. Agents near roof access, put there to prevent any Imperials from sneaking into HQ from above, stopped him but after a few questions and a glance at his ID and comparing his picture there to his actual face they let him go. When he hit the top of the stairs and opened the door, one barked at him from down there to remember to close the door, actually drawing a chuckle from him.

Obviously, Aaron closed it. Just because the Empire was in retreat - it hadn't totally sunk in for him that the Empire had just lost this campaign, even though there was still a long, bloody war ahead of them - didn't mean you could ignore security. The cold air of the desert at night flowed over him, filling his lungs and refreshing him even as he strode up to the edge and looked over the city.

You could almost forget there was a war on out there, with how it all looked at night. Being up here, he could get some perspective, gather his thoughts. He had big days ahead, they all did.

He already knew the time, but he found himself staring at his watch, the Christmas present he should probably let go of but never would.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 17:50:29 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

Silas rounds the corner, giving a long groan as he pulls the cigarette away from his lips!

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 17:53:13 GMT -6 »

"Hello to you too."

Silas got him to stop looking at his watch at least, his hands going into his pockets as he took in another lungful of cold air. Aaron shot the other agent a look over his shoulder, noting the cigarette but not judging. At least he wasn't downwind.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 17:56:54 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"Why is it, Silverman, that everywhere I go you seem to be lurking right behind?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:03:12 GMT -6 »

"We're both the kind of guy to hang out on rooftops?"

A tiny bit flippant, maybe, but Silas' attitude had been a pretty constant problem, and also, he wasn't really sure what Calloway was talking about given they hadn't bumped into each other all that much. It sounded like the man was projecting, really. So Silas just got a shrug.

"It's a nice evening, I came up here to gather my thoughts. Get away from the press circling around - nothing against them, but I'm sick of recorders being shoved in my face."

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016 18:07:10 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:08:35 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"Do me a favor and never throw us in the same category again. Thanks." He takes a long drag!

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:11:28 GMT -6 »

"We're in a bunch of categories together, even if you don't want to admit it."

Both agents, both legacy kids, both people with a lot to prove. Aaron always did see a bit of himself in Silas, which might have been part of why they started to clash. He didn't mention that though, just looking back over the city. So many people lived here, who now wouldn't have to live in fear of the Empire. Hell of a thing.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:17:52 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"None that I want any part of if that's the case." He snickers.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:23:58 GMT -6 »

"Then quit Paradigm, because that's one of them. Not that I want you to; you did good out there, putting you in charge of the mission was definitely the right call."

There wasn't any aggression there, or any ill will. Just the slightly blunt delivery of someone making a point.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:37:17 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"Of course it was. It still would have been more simple on my own, but at least I was able to make use of you as meat shield between Rian and the objective."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:41:40 GMT -6 »

"Learn to take a compliment, man. I'd've thought you'd be in a better mood - that mission caused the entire Imperial campaign here to fall apart, and you were at the head."

But hey, someone had to play rear guard, right? He'd slowed Rian's pursuit enough for them all to get to the roof, and nobody died. Maybe the two of them working together could've even taken Rian down. A few months ago he wouldn't've let anything Silas said get under his skin, so he was trying to do that now, keeping his tone easygoing and his posture relaxed.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:44:56 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

Silas turns to him, genuine confusion on his face.

"This is me in a good mood."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:53:47 GMT -6 »

At the confusion in Silas' tone, Aaron looked over again, and paused at the look on the other agent's face. Then he looked regretful.

"Oh. Sorry, it was hard to tell."

Partly because he didn't know Silas well enough to know what him in a good mood actually looked like.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 18:55:07 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"I'll take that compliment too."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 19:03:30 GMT -6 »

"If you like."

At least they weren't flinging insults at each other or anything. That was progress.

"Let's just hope all our missions go that well. Maybe with a lower body count though."

Everyone in or near that building except Rian probably died. That fact wasn't something he could just ignore. Those had all been people, whatever side they were on, whatever they had or hadn't done.

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 19:05:44 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

He takes another drag before tossing it down, rubbing it out with the sole of his foot.

"Why?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 19, 2016 19:21:13 GMT -6 »

"Because even though the Empire needs to be stopped, and we need to protect people from them, they're still people. Most of them don't deserve to die. Most of the people fighting against us are just victims, like the civilians - probably press-ganged into service, or just looking for a way to support their loved ones."

He shrugged, keeping his eyes on Silas. Not staring him down, just acknowledging him.

"Maybe that's being too sentimental, I don't know. People are going to get hurt, and they're going to die, now and then maybe we'll even have to kill them, but I don't have to like it. Don't get me wrong, I'll fight as hard as anyone to stop them, or harder, but I can't let myself forget that the enemy are just as human as we are."

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 21, 2016 22:10:26 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"You continue to think of them as human then. I'll just see the enemy and do what you won't. That way you can keep your precious conscious clean."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 21, 2016 22:22:22 GMT -6 »

"All I was getting at is I wish they didn't have to die. If we stop thinking of the people we're fighting as people, whatever we have to do, that's how you get war crimes."

He shrugged, taking in a full breath of nighttime air.

"I'm not going to just sit by and let the Empire roll over innocent people. It's just that I want all this to end with as little death as possible. But then, what could we have done, go running around evacuating the place with Rian hot on our heels?"

He couldn't help a little smile at the thought, actually mimicking Rian's accent for a second.

"'Stop saving people so I can rip you apart you brats!'"

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 16:07:27 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

Silas states at him for a full minute of silence following his impression.

"...right. Those people are the enemy. It's for the best they're all dead now."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 19:12:24 GMT -6 »

"Sorry, I don't know what that was about."

Making fun of Rian, not the other stuff. He actually did, he was trying to lighten the mood a little, but... he's not very good at that. Dark is his power, after all.

"I know they would've just hurt other people, killed other people, if we hadn't stopped them, but they were still human. I'm not judging you for what happened or anything, if we hadn't taken out that base we'd still be fighting and even more people would die - guess I just wish none of them had to, even if it doesn't make sense. Any loss of life is a horrible waste."

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 19:15:44 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I guess." Silas shrugs!

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 19:28:45 GMT -6 »

"Yeah."

He didn't care more about some random Imperial soldier than the civilians in this city, did he? It's a hard question to ponder. When you try to say you care about everyone, that every life is worth saving and protecting, sometimes you get thrown into situations like this, and something has to give, doesn't it? Maybe, maybe not, but he didn't have the power to resolve all this in a way everybody got to go home happily ever after. Especially not when there were so many people out there, on both sides, more than happy for a bloodbath.

"How do you do it?"

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 27, 2016 21:21:15 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"How do I do what?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 27, 2016 21:34:06 GMT -6 »

"Kill people. No judgements, you just seem to deal with it much easier than I do."

Killing should never be easy, it should never be a first resort, but here they were, in the middle of a world war. Could he really keep holding back so much? What if it came between an enemy soldier's life, and that of an innocent? He was out here against people who would happily kill him and everyone he cared about, and if his job was to be the shield standing between those people and the innocent, shouldn't he be able to bring himself to do what has to be done if it came to life and death?

"I don't ever want it to be my first resort, or something I enjoy doing, but I guess I want to be able to live with myself if my hand is ever forced, out there."

Quick Reply