Author Topic: Told you so. (Aaron/Open) (Read 1,178 times)
Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[color=darkgreen]WOOP WOOP! Pull over dat ass too fat![/color]

[send pm]

Told you so. (Aaron/Open)
« Mar 21, 2016 23:03:47 GMT -6 »

Nicky lets him talk with the other two for now.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

In the Land of Gods and Monsters.

[send pm]

« Mar 21, 2016 23:04:47 GMT -6 »

She waved her fingers towards Aaron, her gaze slipping towards the other two women in the room.

Ah... Something happened. He didn't have any legs. That was definitely a thing.

Well then.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Mar 21, 2016 23:47:21 GMT -6 »

Valencia knows what she heard. She glances at where his legs should be.

"...We can talk later."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 0:00:02 GMT -6 »

Her looking at what's left of his legs - worthless, just like the rest of him - makes it even worse. He actually calls up a little "sheet" of darkness over them just so they're not actually visible, reflexively. Not aggressive, not offended, just wanting people to stop seeing them. To stop gawking, to stop looking at him like he's so pathetic. Projecting much?

No doubt she'd heard him, but he's not trying to discount anything she did, just... how could he not freak out at waking up to this? His expression twists and his heart squeezes at both the glance and the look on her face, and shame for speaking how he had. For panicking. For being useless. For everything.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

To what? To be like this?

"...To talk like that, to have anything happen. I wasn't implying anything about you, it's just... this, you know? I can make it up to you. Somehow."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 0:04:45 GMT -6 via mobile »

Leif manages to refrain from the puns. Leaning against the frame, she just continues to peel her apple in silence.

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 0:09:04 GMT -6 »

Nicky minds her own business.

Even though she's listening attentively.

๖ۣValencia Tiao
Hero
Miss Fortune

๖ۣValencia Tiao Avatar

Now what?

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 0:25:46 GMT -6 »

"...Later."

Valencia leaves.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 1:20:57 GMT -6 »

"Please, wait-"

She doesn't, leaving him staring at the door. And who is he to ask for her time anyway? Just some broken shell of someone who was never good for anything anyway. Who should have died instead of Miranda, all those months ago.

The Aaron back then would be disgusted by him thinking that, asking him where all his determination had gone, but the Aaron back then hadn't had endless failure and betrayal and pain piled on his plate. He's trying to get back to that Aaron, but every day what he used to be feels further and further off. And now, well, who knows if he'll ever be whole again, and if he'll ever be any good in the field again either. Now he knows how worthless his power really is.

He falls back onto the bed, stomach roiling with grief and disgust at the lack of weight below his thighs. Closes his eyes, takes some deep breaths to take the shaking out of his voice, to try to ground himself, to get in touch with that old determination. To vocalise one fact, one clear thought:

"...I have to get better. Cybernetics, field-worthy prosthetics, something to get me back in the field. ASAP. I can't just sit here and be broken."

He has to go to Turkey. He has to get stronger, he has to finish it. He made promises. His parents are going to raise hell the second they find out, if they haven't already, but... well, they had their chance to put their feet down and say "no way in hell are you going". He has to keep pushing, at least to distract himself from his own realisations about himself, and to be there for all the people out there who need Paradigm's help.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 6:53:25 GMT -6 via mobile »

"FIELD worthy? Dude, seriously? THAT'S your concern?"

Leif stared at him, knife hovering over her apple.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 11:28:39 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Not the only one, obviously."

Like, really. Come on.

"But I have to get back out there."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 12:47:32 GMT -6 via mobile »

"You are OBSESSED. If this is your thought process, you shouldn't even be ALLOWED out in the field."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 13:32:52 GMT -6 »

"Because I don't want this to keep me down? Because I want to keep doing my job? I can't just sit around while other people are getting hurt, getting killed, out there."

His tone isn't defiant or angry or even argumentative, just conversational. Maybe a little curious about where Leif is coming from with that. And tired, definitely tired. He puts his head back, rubs his eyes, tries not to think about what he can't feel, about how he might never feel the dirt under his feet or the comfort of well-fitting shoes again, unless he can find some kind of cloning tech or something. He does think about promises he made, though.

"There's a mission I was supposed to be going on after this, I thought this would all just be a quick little thing, in and out and I'm back and ready to go. I want to go, need to. After it's done I can rest for a while, maybe. It's not like there's never been agents who've taken worse."

Mr. Amtrum'd lost his entire arm after all, and his daughter.

"This isn't me thinking I'm invincible, or hunting for glory, or anything like that. I just need to be out there. Remember what I told you, Leif? This whole Paradigm thing is all I've ever wanted to do."

And if he lets this keep him down, if he gives up and goes to a life surrounded by reminders he just isn't good enough, those bastards won.

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016 13:38:48 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 13:42:00 GMT -6 »

"That's a lot of stress on your body." Nicky finally pipes up.

"I mean do what you want if you get fitted with something, but that's not a lot of time to heal or to get used to your new legs. Plus the pain."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 13:52:53 GMT -6 »

She offered Aaron only a snort of pure derision, shaking her head. She looked away from him, anger bubbling in her gaze, and her movements towards the apple became significantly more aggressive.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 13:57:57 GMT -6 »

"It is, but I have to go."

More diplomatic than telling Nicky that if he cared about pain, or getting hurt, he never would have joined Paradigm at all. The snort distracts his attention from her, though, and he looks back over to Leif, frowning.

"What's up?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 14:15:03 GMT -6 »

"You're fakkin' dumb, that's what."

Leif's gaze flicked back to his face, flashing dangerously. Her posture was barely concealed aggression, her shoulders tense and her lips contorted into a sneer.

"This is EXACTLY that. Hunting for glory. Trying to be a - wait for it - HERO. That is EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS, Aaron. That is what going on that stupid black ops, no offense," she glanced towards Nicky for a second, wincing, before continuing, "that black ops mission was. Trying to prove you're some big baddie that can do all the things. Well, you're not. And trying to prove that you were something you're not landed you here. And NOW, after all of THIS, you think you should just go back onto the field? Lie to your girlie-friend, lie to your friends, lie to yourself, but DO NOT... try to lie to me."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 14:40:57 GMT -6 »

"I'm not lying to you, and that's not why I was out there - I was hoping to learn from Agent Young, become a better agent. But what would you have me do?"

Sitting here and wallowing, accepting he is and always has been utterly worthless, ignoring all the cries for help out there, that's not something he can do. And if she's going to stand there and assume the worst about everything about him, do nothing but assume he's some slimy egomaniac out here only for his own glory, then he feels like there's no point in her even being here, even though he's trying to listen to what she has to say.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 15:04:40 GMT -6 via mobile »

"Be am actual person. Care about people as people and not trophies. Be a kid when you have the option to be a kid. And right now? Take the time to get used to the new life you'll have to live."

She hissed, voice getting softer the more she spoke.

"And don't be the reason other people die. That, too."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 15:23:47 GMT -6 »

"I do care about people as people; if I didn't, I never would've joined Paradigm. Don't you dare imply otherwise, especially when you barely even know me."

His voice is quiet, but cold, as he pushes himself back into a seated position and just looks at her. He takes a few moments, obviously trying to calm down, before he speaks again.

"The rest... I'll try. I really will. But you're making a lot of assumptions about me, and I'm honestly getting a little tired of it. Whatever I did to earn that kind of contempt, I'm sorry, really, but take a few steps back and give me a goddamn chance at least."

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 15:36:15 GMT -6 »

Nicky looks between the two then just goes.

"Hmm."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 16:00:58 GMT -6 via mobile »

She stared at him, lips showing her teeth, meshed tightly together.

"You don't care about people as anything but tools. Why do you think nobody follows your direction? You want to be a part of the Black Ops of all things? You have the possibility of being a worth a shit guy, but you're acting like a cockbite, and I have to wonder if I'm the only one who cares enough to tell you that."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 22, 2016 16:05:23 GMT -6 »

"What makes you think that? The tool thing, first."

He's trying very hard not to get angry. To listen. To stay calm, to be like he used to be. But seriously, what the hell is all this suddenly, from someone who hardly knows anything about him? His voice stays cold, but it's calm.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 13:13:10 GMT -6 »

The cold didn't seem to bother her. She just stared at him before shaking her head and sighing. Was he even worth this? Was he actually going to listen? To anything? He hadn't, yet. And look where it had gotten him?

"Are you that daft? That blind? Seriously?"

Leif glanced up towards Nicky, staring at her for a second and realizing that she had interrupted.

"Excuse me. I'm sorry to have interrupted. I'm sorry to waste your time." She took just a second to glance back and Aaron before turning to leave.

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 13:22:14 GMT -6 »

Nicky just shrugs like it didn't really bother her.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 23, 2016 19:24:12 GMT -6 »

"Wait, seriously!"

Aaron actually starts to get up, and the darkness covering his lower half shifts and solidifies as if he's trying to figure out a way to support himself with it.

"I'm not 'daft,' or 'blind,' and I'm trying to hear you out, Leif. Obviously you have these impressions of me, and I can't do anything about it if I don't know why. Or if you don't let me show you I'm better than that."

But then, she's obviously got her own assumptions for everything he does and won't hear anything that goes against them, so why is he bothering? Anything he says, maybe she'll just use as evidence he's some horrible monster.

"Please, just talk to me. I'm trying to be better, give me the chance."

« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016 19:24:39 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Quick Reply