Author Topic: We Need to Talk (Eric) (Read 454 times)
Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

Will it be you this time?

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:14:14 GMT -6 »

After their meeting with Josh, Rebeeca was still aware of the fact that she had other business to take care of.  Mainly, her boyfriend, who had disappeared for a good week without a word or anything.  Just...nothing.  Her arms were still crossed over her chest, a soda can in one hand as she tried to pull her thoughts together.  At least the motel room wasn't packed with bodies when she came back.  In fact, it was strangely empty.  Or maybe it just felt that way after they'd been human sardines for a bit.

So she looks around for Eric!

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:17:43 GMT -6 »

Eric was sitting at the edge of one of the beds staring at his shoes as he awkwardly twiddled his thumbs!

Honestly he was kind of expecting this, and he'd been trying to sort out where he was emotionally. He was expecting a fight, she seemed pissed when she walked in and saw him after all. And he couldn't really blame her. He had his reasons, or excuses. He suspected she'd use the second term while I felt it was more of the first.

And with everything else going on, he really wasn't looking forward to this. But he couldn't just run away either. Well, he could. But then he'd just be eating himself up for being an even bigger coward.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:21:59 GMT -6 »

It surprised her that he was just...waiting. At least, that's how it felt. Like he knew she'd come looking for him. Though she supposed she hadn't exactly made it a secret. She'd been distracted by the random thought train Josh had made them aware of, but it couldn't stay derailed forever.

"So." The door shut silently behind her. "California."

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:23:25 GMT -6 »

"The vault, specifically..."

Where did he even start?

"Listen. I tried to stop what happened. It just... didn't work out."

How did he even explain it? It all happened so fast, and he was blacked out for the last part of it.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:27:58 GMT -6 »

The Vault? At least it was sort of Paraidgm still. Ish.

"You tried to stop it? Eric, we all did!" And they were alive. Most of them managed to even stay in the same state.

"Of course it didn't work out! What, did you go one on one or something?" If he was the only one gone, she didn't know what else to think. She knew he'd used his power before to keep her safe, and everone here had been, but that didn't make it right.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was? Eric! You were one of two people who were gone. Just, just gone! The only other person who is was butchered!" She tried not to think about it, about the way Matt had been cut down in front of him, of leaving his body there with Rian as the human wrecking ball tore the academy apart. How she'd been the one driving the truck and could have gone back, could have turned it around.

"Of course it went wrong."

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:34:13 GMT -6 »

"What was I supposed to do!? Just step to the side and let him tear down our home!? Was I supposed to just run away!? If I did either of those things then what is the point of even being at Paradigm? Of not just going home like the others?"

He ran both of his hands through his hair and flopped back onto the bed. She was pissed. Of course she was pissed. And worried, he'd get that too. He had been worried as well. But she didn't understand. Of course she didn't, or couldn't. Or wouldn't. Who the hell knew.

"It's not like I planned it this way you know. It's not like I know your number, and my phone was trashed. I got home as quick as I could."

Safely at least.

"It's not like I was off on a vacation."

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:38:59 GMT -6 »

She flinched and turned her face to the side at mentioning of running away, gritting her teeth at the words as he flopped onto the bed. Despite knowing - hoping? - it wasn't a dig at her, her fingers still clenched the can in hand a little tighter. It felt like he'd flipped the coin of failer and thrown it in her face - fight or run, or watch as it falls down around you.

"So what, you didn't think to email me?" She was pretty sure libraries were still a thing, or public access or something, but maybe not. Everything they had to work with was crammed into a hotel room right along with them. Part of her was relieved he was okay, that all he seemed to have was a broken arm. Physically, anyway.

"Yeah," she echoed, her voice distant. "What is the point?"

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:44:12 GMT -6 »

"Honestly? No I didn't. Email was the last thing on my mind. I was freaked out because the only way I was able to get ahold of anyone, which was Josh by the way, was indirectly though the soldiers at the vault. I couldn't get word about anyone, from any of the branches. I got crammed in the infirmary at the vault to get patched up, and then shoved on a plane."

He pushed himself off the bed when she flopped down. Feeling restless and just needing to move. Do something, feel something. At least not staying still. He felt like he'd been still far to long now. His whole life was just him standing still.

"Between getting patched up and debriefed before my ass got kicked onto a plane here I didn't exactly have a lot of free time to hit up the library or go hang out at internet cafes or whatever."

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 0:52:48 GMT -6 »

He shot down her next point before she could bring it up; somehow, he had managed to get in contact with Josh to make it back. Her lips rolled into a tight line at the explanation, nostrils flaring at his agitated tone as her own anger rose.

"Fine." She slammed the can down on the desk with the word. She would never have forgiven herself if he'd been injured, or some of the others she knew. Thinking of it, even now, left her throat dry and sore. But she couldn't sit, either. it was like wearing someone else's skin when they were smaller than you. To constricted, and not her at all. She stood up again, pacing. No dramatic lightning flashed for effect for her, no creaking sounds. No one to derail the new ride her thoughts were taking ehr on.

Home...home was gone. She was honestly afraid that home would be gone on a permanent enough basis that she wouldn't be allowed to stay. She wasn't a kid who had parents that thought she would be a good solider - or a soldier at all. Her pacing increased to swift, heated steps.

Of course, there was also the fact that Josh apparently knew Eric was arriving, sign and all. He'd had time and hadn't told anyone, either. He could have told her.

"Well, you clearly got there fast enough." She spun, no longer pacing as she faced him. "You could have made it back sooner."

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:00:45 GMT -6 »

He winced a little when she slammed down the soda. But he could take the anger. At least he thought he could, but her last statement felt like a slap in the face. It meant she really didn't get it at all. Out of anyone he thought she would understand that he couldn't just rip open portals willy nilly anymore. Of all people he thought she'd understand his need to be careful with his power.

"Yeah, you're right. I could have been back any time I wanted."

All he had to do was roll the dice on her life. On everyone's apparently. It was one thing to do in the heat of the moment, when his world was crashing down around him. He felt shitty for that already, it was a stupid call. He was lucky nothing terrible happened because of it. But he couldn't do that in good conscious just because he was impatient. He was trying to break that habit.

"You know me. Always selfish with my power. No, better yet. The genie you can just rub the lamp of and have the universe open up for you."

He turned to face her and folded his arms over his chest and closed both of his eyes as he nodded at her.

"What are your three wishes?"

Venom dripped from his words, because apparently if he wasn't using his power for other peoples needs then he is in the wrong.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:05:28 GMT -6 »

She paled at his words, heat rushing to her cheeks moments later at the venom in his tone.

"Stop it." She bristled, her voice dropping into a quiet flat line.

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:12:34 GMT -6 »

"I thought me using my power is what you wanted."

That was a lie. One that he wasn't even trying to hide right now. He was so frustrated with his power, and with everyone's attitude toward it. And honestly it hurt that she couldn't seem to grasp his situation. After all the crap she went through with her power. After he was upfront about learning the consequence of his own power.

Even if she was just being emotional if hurt. It was like she just didn't fundamentally understand him. Or that she thought he liked this situation. What pissed him off most about it though, was that the attitude most people had toward him and his abilities was his fault. He knew it was his fault, it was how he acted. How he used it. His life had been one big game and now the game was over, but he was still the comic relief in the eyes of the world.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:18:40 GMT -6 »

"Of course it's not!" She let out a frustrated sigh, running her hands through her own hair and grasping at it as though it could ease up the pounding in her temples. How did he not understand? Of course there were consequences, she knew that. Everything had consequences. It felt like he'd called her out on her own failure and was allowed to...what? She wasn't even sure anymore.

Why was it so difficult to understand? That she wanted to know he was safe, that one of the most important people in her world had just vanished and was assumed dead or worse? The fact that she'd blown up his phone in a metaphorical sense didn't help, either. If his phone hadn't been destroyed, hed have quite the bombarding waiting for him. But that didn't matter anymore.

Of all people, she thought he'd understand. she'd lost her home. She had nearly lost friends. She thought she'd lost him. And then there was the fact that someone, somehow, would have had to tell his parents if something had happened to him. She had seen it again and again on the news, a reminder of how everything was gone, how this was their world now. How she still wanted to be here when she didn't even know what that even meant for her now. For any of them.

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:30:07 GMT -6 »

"Then what do you want from me!? Because right now I don't know what to do. Home is gone. And the highest ranking member of Paradigm that we have around wants to turn us into a bunch of sleezeballs. The war is still raging on and I don't know what we are going to do about that. If we even CAN do anything about that."

Or what was going to happen to those that were overseas. That was scary enough in it's uncertainty.

"I just went through a hell of a week not knowing who was alive or dead. Only getting vague answers about how most people are reported to have made it out alive. I didn't get any names or more information about that. Just the knowledge that my home was gone and most of the people I care about supposedly got out alive. And why? Because I fucked up. Again. Because my whole life has been a giant game, and I didn't get my ass in gear to prepare for something like this. Because when my back was against the wall I gave it my all and still came up short."

He hated what he was saying even as he said it. It felt like such petty bitching, but he couldn't plug his mouth once the torrent began to unleash.

"I'm used to being the fuck up Becca, but I'm not used to failing. And maybe I just made the wrong choice, but I can't go back and change that. But I'm trying, I am trying to do better, and instead of a welcome home or anything I get what? A pissed off girlfriend because I didn't fuck up in the way that's most convenient? A senior agent who wants me to seduce the creepiest guy in the country? Honestly, at this point I don't even know if I want to stay."

Running away sounded very appealing. It would be easy to go home, back to his old life. His parents would welcome him back. He could be with his old friends and just deal with normal people problems. Hell, even then with the hat Faust had given him he could pretend things were mostly back to normal before he'd gone to Paradigm.

In a way it would be like going back in time...

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:37:29 GMT -6 »

She let the torrent burst free and run wild. Every thing she had, he had a reason or excuse for. Things had to be XYZ. People had problems, too. Things were a mess and getting worse. Did the agents overseas even know? She thought they might have gotten word, but fighting a battle was fighting a battle. Who knew who had or hadn't heard?

And then there was the part where he wasnt' used to failure. That, she was used to. It sucked. It hurt. It happened. No one liked it, and she wouldn't tell him otherwise. And as the words took a personal turn, reflecting the people they had reunited with so far, she felt the retaliation like a slap, stepping back as his spiel neared its end.

"You know we don't have to go through with that if we don't want to." Had the room always been this warm, or was it just her? Her hands shook from where they gripped the fabric of her shirt. She needed something, anything, to help refocus.

"Then figure it out, Eric. Figure out if you really do want to be here." Anything beyond that would be pointless.

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:42:36 GMT -6 »

"Well I don't want to go through with that. And I don't want to be a part of a group that is resorting to that kind of cheap underhanded tactics. We were supposed to be the good guys, and it would be one thing if this was some Empire dignitary that we needed to get information from for the war. But it's not, it's for money. And now I'm wondering what else they will do for money? Who here would totally be down for doing things like that?"

And then she continued on. And she didn't even want him to stay enough to tell him that he should stay. Or reassure him that they were still the good guys. Just, figure it out. Yeah, that sounded right. Just figure it out Eric.

"I guess I have to."

Alone apparently.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:50:57 GMT -6 »

She coudln't tell him why he should stay or what to think. She could see the frustration on his face, hear it in his voice as it changed in pitch, and knew that whatever she told him, it would just be words until he figured it out for himself. She couldn't magically hand him answers any more than he could pull them out of the hat he'd be given.

"Then ask. Find out." Was it sleazy? Yes. Were they desperate? Yes. But he knew not everyone was a super hero at Paradigm. They were people, and yet they weren't slaves. They weren't being forced into this decision, as she'd told him. But when you're groping blindly and finally find something, it becomes a bit of hope, even if it's breaking in your grip.

Hearing that he didn't even want to stay stung. It hurt to know that whatever it was she was, it wasn't enough to convince him of anything. To even really consider something else. He just...he sounded like he wanted to run.

Good for him having somewhere he could run to.

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:52:32 GMT -6 »

"Fine. What are you willing to do? How far are you willing to go?"

No one else was here, so he'd turn it on her. Where were her lines?

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 1:59:15 GMT -6 »

She blinked at the turn of conversation, frowning at the question. It took her a moment to think of the words, to figure out herself what the line was when there were so many possibilities that she couldn't think of them all.

"I didn't like the idea either, if that's what you mean." She had turned around and mentioned Enya, though. Her frown deepened.

"I will go as far as I need to. Right now, I want to know more of what's actually available to us." And dodge the question some more. She didn't know how to tell him, really. She'd done things already in the time she'd been at Paradigm she hadn't thought she'd ever do before, even if it was by accident.

It also didn't help that she didn't know where all of those limits were for her.

"I'm not going to sleaze around for money, if that's what you mean," she added, irritated now as this started to sound like an argument that felt familiar for entirely different reasons.

"If I don't like the options we have, I'll find my own."

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 2:00:55 GMT -6 »

He didn't have a retort to anything, there was nothing wrong with her answer but he still just felt aggression building up in his chest, with no direction to channel it other than to just look around, clearly frustrated.

But he had no retort.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 2:03:32 GMT -6 »

"And?" Her arms folded over her chest again, lips twisting at the bitterness she tasted in the back of her throat. "What about you?"

Why did it feel like she was suddenly supposed to be the hero, the one with all the answers? She wasn't some wise sage or even an experienced agent. She was just Rebecca, lady of fuck-ups. Apparently.

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 2:05:02 GMT -6 »

"I don't know. Not this though."

He was used to being able to just pull the answer to whatever he needed out of a hole. He didn't have answers to these hard questions!!!

"We are supposed to be the good guys though!"

That wasn't really an answer.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 2:08:14 GMT -6 »

That wasn't really an answer and they both knew it. Rebecca shifted her weight to her other foot, then looked away as they reached the point they agreed on: whatever they were wanting, ti wasn't this. But where did they go from there?

"If you want to be a good guy, then be a good guy." She went over to the soda she'd left earlier and picked it up again, flopping onto the bed in silence, save for the creaking fo the bedsprings.

"It's not that black and white, Eric. But that's your choice."

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 2:10:22 GMT -6 »

"Be a good guy then. It's my choice. But it's also not black and white. Well telling me to 'be a good guy' doesn't sound so black and white."

It sounded like saying things weren't so black and white was an excuse to justify doing bad things.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 26, 2017 2:14:29 GMT -6 »

"It means that what you consider 'good' may not match up with what other people think of it. Or maybe they have to adapt!" She looked up again as she snapped at him, the tightness in her chest returning.

"You can't control what everyone else will do, Eric, and I can't either. So if you want to be the white hat that saves the day, then go for it. But you're going to find things you don't like." Whether he'd try to correct them or get his hands dirty, she didn't know. She thought she'd know what he'd try to do, but she had no idea if he'd endure.

She looked back down at the can, thumbs running over the rim.

"You've been debating if you should stay here for over a year now. If you're still questioning that, then do what you need to."

Quick Reply