Author Topic: We Need to Talk (Eric) (Read 456 times)
Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 28, 2017 22:11:25 GMT -6 »

"I've seen plenty that I don't like. And you damn well should know that since you were there with me!"

He snapped back, her lecture grating on his ears. She was there at the home for wayward teens. She was standing by him when they were almost the ones that got gassed and turned into those things. He'd already made choices that others hadn't agreed with, and he'd stood by those choices. Because even if Becca didn't think he had the right to decide who to save, to him it was the only right he did have in situations like those.

She was right that he couldn't control what other people did, but he controlled what he did and how he stood up to what he saw as the darkness in the road. And he'd been met with her questioning him every step of the way. With bitterness from his peers over his abilities, with disappointment from his superiors for his lack of commitment.

If there was one thing that he had learned for sure at Paradigm, above all else. It was that no matter what he did, or how many people he tried to save or help. He would never be able to win.

"You haven't?"

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

Will it be you this time?

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 28, 2017 22:17:51 GMT -6 »

"Of course I haven't!" Of course she'd been there at the shelter, had seen the animated horrors that still gave her nightmares. The knowledge that they could have been one of them, bits of bodies and god only knew what happened to the rest. There was that weird time travel thing where he damn neared died on her, saved by the powers of an ally and his magic hat.

There were things he'd been for, and things he hadn't. She couldn't tell him how to fix things, couldn't keep repeating herself until she was blue in the face. And part of her was afraid of what he'd think if he knew what she'd done on certain missions, as well. She just didn't understand why he thought now would be different from the other times they'd struggled or had to make up their mind where their personal moral boundaries were. If they would stick to them.

"Forget it," she muttered angrily.

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 28, 2017 22:19:43 GMT -6 »

He scoffed.

"Fine."

He said rolling his eyes as he folded his arms over his chest. His right leg bouncing with energy, unable to really stand still.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 28, 2017 22:22:20 GMT -6 »

"Fine," she echoed, setting the can down again as she abruptly stood. She felt she was about as shitty a talker as she was apparently a girlfriend. The motel room was too cramped, the walls too close. The air felt stale and left a bitter taste in the back of her throat.

"I need some air."

Eric Phillips
Hero
Intelligence

Eric Phillips Avatar

A man of many hats

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 28, 2017 22:25:37 GMT -6 »

"Yeah..."

He echoed.

"Me too."

And he didn't mean with her. He'd head to the door and hold it open for her to leave first if she wanted. And then he'd go the opposite way. He didn't have a destination in mind, just needed some alone time. Tugging on his hat as it shifted into a baseball cap. It seemed that being back in Chicago didn't mean that he was back home after all.

Rebecca Jefferson
Legend
Defense

Rebecca Jefferson Avatar

[send pm]

We Need to Talk (Eric)
« Jan 28, 2017 22:34:03 GMT -6 »

Rebecca heads out regardless, not saying anything about the door. She's not even sure where she's headed, just that it needs to be somewhere other than here. Now.

Turns out she'll go to the remains of Paradigm's location. The place she'd called home was broken in more ways than one. She'd thought about going back then, as she had at first, but the thought of going back still made her dig her feet into the ground. She'd be leaving too much unfinished if she left, too many things she'd come to care about. People, too, despite what she had said out of anger.

There was a lot for her to think about.

Quick Reply