Author Topic: Walkabout (Leif) (Read 943 times)
Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

In the Land of Gods and Monsters.

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 14, 2016 23:57:04 GMT -6 via mobile »

She shrugged as she went through his answers. He addressed all of the languages, which a lot of people did. She expected that.

"Touch," she murmured. "I don't like people to touch me without a reason, but I really... actually like touch." She shrugged. "It usually means something when I touch someone. Second would probably be words. Favors and gifts don't mean much to me, and I tend to like my alone time, or time spent in crowds."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 0:41:10 GMT -6 »

He wasn't sure what to make of the shrug, but he appreciated the lack of judgement, the lack of pressing him on Sarah for now. He hadn't even wanted to answer her question, but he'd made himself buck up and do it. It was nice, really, to see her opening up, letting him know more about how she ticked. Nicer than going on about his own answers, and so he let himself soak it in, just listening as she went through it.

"And there's me calling words 'just words'. Whoops." He had a little smile as he said that, injecting some wry humour into his voice. Just relaxing a little and talking with her helped. "That makes a lot of sense though, your answers. Just from what I've seen of you."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 0:47:03 GMT -6 via mobile »

She snickered, but the sound was empty and humorless.

"To some people, they are. But it isn't always the words you say. Sometimes, it's what's under them. When somebody tells me I'm beautiful, that's more whatever. But when somebody says they're... proud of me... or to get home safe... or that I'm doing a good job? That... means a lot to me."

She shrugged again, stopping in front of a door. There was an "open" sign but otherwise it seemed unremarkable, no different than the ones next door.

"Just gotta know WHAT to say."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 0:56:59 GMT -6 »

"That one, I'm pretty bad at sometimes. I try, though."

Obviously. Both in how people reacted to what he said, and how often he just found himself standing there with absolutely no idea what to say to somebody. They'd stopped in front of some random-looking building, and any signs on it would be in Arabic and thus absolutely no use to Aaron*, but he trusted her judgement. He observed for a moment, and if this seemed to be the place he would move to get the door, gingerly due to his... condition, and slowly enough to make the offer clear without imposing it on her. If she allowed him to, he'd open the door and give her a genuine smile, as well as an, "after you".

*Note to self, Aaron: learn Arabic.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 1:15:37 GMT -6 via mobile »

Surprise was obvious across her face when he opened the door for her, but she smiled and thanked him before going inside.

"It's a thing," Leif murmured, motioning to the hostess. The woman seated them in the mostly empty dining area, a low lit restaurant, and said something in Arabic. Leif responded before focusing on Aaron again, taking her seat.

"How good are you at reading people?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 1:27:20 GMT -6 »

"Not, apparently, or everything wouldn't have fallen apart how it has."

He had his moments of actually managing to read people, and he was actually decent at poker and had an okay poker face of his own, but for the most part? No, his reading wasn't good. What you saw, with Aaron, was usually what you got, and he tended to assume the same of everyone else. He sat down with a little frown from the pain in his legs, and took a moment to get comfortable. At least he'd made her smile, that was good, and he had no idea what the hell kind of restaurant this was so he was probably going to be surprised.

"Why do you ask?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 1:34:18 GMT -6 via mobile »

She smiled, a knowing smile, and gave a shake of her head.

"It's just more psycho mumbo jumbo. I was just curious. Is all Gucci, man."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 1:43:21 GMT -6 »

"I was just interested in knowing."

Especially with that knowing look she gave him. And he'd noticed how when she seemed bothered by things, she would say it's "Gucci". Maybe that just meant "cool" but there seemed to be a way of playing it off in how she said it. He gave her the exact same smile, almost as if deliberately miming it - not in a mocking way, but in a "two can do that" way.

"But no, I've... never really been the best with people. Sometimes I almost think I know more about being an agent than being a teenager."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 21:37:47 GMT -6 »

"Well, both of your parents were agents too, yeah?" she asked, just as a steaming pot was set on their table by the absent hostess, who came and immediately slipped away. She gave a shake of her head, taking her little mug and pouring herself some of the tea.

She didn't bother commenting to her as she looked back up at Aaron. "I mean, it'd make sense. We learn most of our stuff from our parents, right?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 21:52:32 GMT -6 »

"Still are. They're doing some special ops stuff out there, or something - they honestly don't tell me much about their missions. Maybe they don't want me worrying."

Unlike Leif, Aaron acknowledged the hostess when she appeared and gave them their teapot, giving her a nod, a smile, and a quick - English - word of thanks. Always be nice to the wait staff, that was what his parents said. As he poured a little cup for himself, after Leif did her own, he took in what she said, mulling on it as he took an experimental sip of the drink.

"It makes sense, yeah. I think they always sort of assumed I'd go into their line of work, even before I told them I actually wanted to, so they were really interested in making sure I was ready for it, if I chose to go that way with my life."

It felt like half of his childhood memories were combat training or some other instruction, sometimes.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 21:59:14 GMT -6 »

Leif snickered under her breath, giving a shrug of one shoulder as she held the steaming mug up near her lips.

"It's a thing. Even if they didn't think that you would actually go into it, sometimes they can't help it. Neil had a habit of treating me a bit like a soldier, even before I wanted to go into the military."

She took a sniff, careful to not sip from it while it was still piping hot. She knew better than to scald her tongue, but the warmth made her shiver. She enjoyed cradling it between her hands.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 22:10:19 GMT -6 »

Aaron had escaped a tongue-scalding due to the briefness of his sip, but Leif might have spotted him blinking a little at the heat before gently setting the mug back down. He could give it a minute to cool, the conversation was more interesting anyhow.

"Was he the one who got you interested in it? I know you've told me how much you looked up to him."

He wasn't sure quite how sensitive a topic Neil, or her family in general, was to Leif, so he kept his tone light and considerate. Not treating her like she was made of porcelain or anything, he was beginning to realise he'd made that mistake with someone else, but speaking with obvious care.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 22:39:48 GMT -6 »

"Mhmm. He was kind of my hero." She smiled at the thought, but there was a sadness in her sapphire eyes. "I wasn't always the party girl that you know, kiddo," Leif teased with a wink.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 15, 2016 23:37:45 GMT -6 »

Aaron smiled back at her, softly, and found his eyes staying on hers for a moment - not long enough to be creepy with the eye contact, but thoughtful, considering how far he wanted to dig. His own interest in her wasn't worth making her relive painful thoughts and memories.

"I believe you," he offered, hiding a tiny blush from her wink with a quick sip of his tea. "What were you like before? Not that you're not cool how you are, I'm just curious. You've never really said much about your life before Paradigm."

But then, neither had he. And had he ever really asked?

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 22:16:04 GMT -6 »

Her smile faded for a moment, her eyes looking distant as she contemplated the family that she had abandoned, leaving them all and their abuse behind. She sighed and gave a little shake of her head, forcing herself to look amused. She had obviously mastered the art of faking it.

"When I was little, things were actually really good," Leif murmured, leaving it at that. "What about you? Sounds like you've lived Paradigm your entire life... Is there even a pre-Paradigm Aaron?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 22:32:50 GMT -6 »

She looked like she wanted to leave it at that, so even though Aaron wanted to know more, he didn't ask. There was that look in her eyes, for a moment, that "there is a story that might not be particularly happy and I don't really want to go into it" look, and Aaron respected it. He gave her a little look of his own, just acknowledging that he noticed the shift in her expression, before falling into a thoughtful silence at her question.

It was a good one, really. Had there ever been a pre-Paradigm him? Was that even possible when your parents are two of the first ever agents? When you grew up surrounded by trophies and stories of their old adventures as government superheroes?

"I'll sound boring admitting it, but I guess there isn't," he said, tracing the rim of his teacup. "I have non-Paradigm friends and hobbies, I always had a choice, I could have decided not to be an agent at any point, but I've been surrounded by Paradigm pretty much literally from day one. I was a student, to learn my powers and all that, then I became an agent. All this is my 'normal' really, and I don't think I can remember a time I wanted to do anything else."

He shrugged, took another sip, tried to smile. Had they even ordered anything?

"To be fair, I would probably have wanted to go into this line of work anyway, but yeah."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 22:39:59 GMT -6 »

Leif had actually forgotten about food, but considering they hadn't touched their paper menus, the hostess hadn't bothered to come back. Instead, she seemed interested in what he had to say, her head tilting to one side with open curiosity.

"You have hobbies?" she said, feigning shock. "No way!" Laughing to herself, she seemed to be back to her usual, "Gucci" self. "And what are those, Mister Silverman?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 23:07:30 GMT -6 »

Don't call me Silverman, Silverman is my father.

Feeling mocked, Aaron blushed and looked at his menu. Unfortunately, it was in Arabic. His lack of grasp on that language struck again. That wouldn't make the question go away, though, even if him opening the menu would maybe signal to the hostess that he at least was interested in an order. Of course, there was still Leif waiting for an answer, if she wasn't just making fun of him, so after a moment she got one.

"...Uh, I like art, for example. Drawing, painting, writing, I taught myself how to carve wood before that whole time travel thing, for a present. I, um, when I'm not too self conscious for it, I like to sing, too. Sometimes when I was done with a patrol I would perform at open mics or whatever, on campus or in the city. Nobody's really been in the mood for music since the new year though. There's others, but, you know, just a couple off the top of my head."

Please don't laugh at him.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 23:09:01 GMT -6 »

"Really?" Leif still looked amused, as she often did, but she wasn't laughing. In all actuality, she wasn't attempting to make fun of him. She had a bit of a flippant air about herself more often than not; the defense mechanism worked miracles.

"You're an artist? I'd never pin that on you."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 23:10:07 GMT -6 »

"Why not?"

Meanwhile, he was vaguely feeling like he never should have said anything.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 17, 2016 23:55:38 GMT -6 »

"Well, you seem pretty solely focused on Paradigm stuff, from what I've seen. Most fighting types aren't the soft-and-fluffy types people usually associate with artists."

She shrugged nonchalantly, obviously not worried about his hobbies. She didn't have a personal opinion. Leif spent most of her free time studying military tactics as well as the human body, both of which were related in their own ways. She couldn't quite imagine such a dichotomy.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 0:05:22 GMT -6 »

"You've mostly seen me when my mind's been on the war, or... uh, other things. Though I'll admit, all this is important enough it takes up a lot of my focus. If you wanted to see, I think I've got pictures of some things I worked on, on my phone."

Things he didn't want to get into right now, hence the vagueness. He honestly wasn't sure whether to take her shrug as a show of disinterest in what he was saying, or just something to put him at ease, so while the embarrassment faded he was still tentative. It was just so much safer back under his shell. Even if only cowards stay in there.

"Your turn, though. What do you do when you're not saving the world?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 18:21:31 GMT -6 via mobile »

She gave another shrug.

"Drugs?" She teased. "But I guess you already know that much. I used to be a gymnast?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 19:36:00 GMT -6 »

"Used to be? Why'd you stop?"

Well, Paradigm, probably. But it explained a lot; she was built like one, moved like he could imagine one moved. Graceful, and all that. He could easily imagine her doing some routine, moving through the air as if it were no big thing at all.

...He tried not to imagine her in those leotards gymnasts wore for competition.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 20:24:09 GMT -6 »

"Time. That's really about it."

Leif sipped her tea thoughtfully before turning to her menu. She wanted to distract herself as much as she could.

"I was actually still performing when we were back in Paradigm, but since coming here, I haven't really... gotten to."

Quick Reply