Author Topic: Walkabout (Leif) (Read 949 times)
Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 20:46:42 GMT -6 »

"I'm sure there's something at base, or we could improvise something."

Admittedly, said as someone who didn't know very much about gymnastics. What he did know, though, was he wasn't totally hopeless at reading people, only mostly hopeless and so he could tell she seemed to be deliberately distracting herself from something. He gave her a moment before noting it, with a gentle voice and a slighty raise of a brow.

"You all right? You seem a bit anxious."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

In the Land of Gods and Monsters.

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 20:51:41 GMT -6 »

"I'm Gucci, Aaron," she said with a smile, giving a shake of her head. "I'd really like to get back on the uneven bars, but I expect I won't be able to. I guess I could practice my floor routines a little bit more... And I've already found a makeshift balance beam."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:01:32 GMT -6 »

"You don't seem it. You look more like you're trying to distract yourself from something. Um, sorry if that sounds too blunt."

It probably did, even though he was trying to speak gently. Still, he took in what she had to say, pondering. Uneven bars, huh?

"I'm a little worried about if I'd have the focus, with the pain and all, but if I can make 'em solid enough I might be able to use my power to improvise something for you. Or maybe I can find someone who can cobble something together for you from whatever's around."

As long as someone didn't shine a flashlight at the bar or something, with his track record lately.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:03:58 GMT -6 »

She snickered at first, but let him move on without interruption. She was often trying to distract herself, but people usually forgot about that fact. She had come to realize that most didn't want to actually know what was wrong, they just didn't want to seem insensitive.

That was what she had come to expect.

"I wouldn't bother with it. I'll keep my arm strength up and it'll give me something entertaining to do once I get back to Paradigm proper. Otherwise, I might be bored."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:07:00 GMT -6 »

"Just thought I'd offer."

Well, what she had to say made sense, but he still wasn't convinced all was well. Hell, he was the one who'd nearly been KIA a few days ago and he wasn't the one that visibly in search of some kind of distraction.

"But really, what's up? I mean, if you don't want me prying, you can say so, I won't be offended, but... well, like I said before we got here, I care."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:10:34 GMT -6 »

Motioning towards the hostess, Leif spoke soft Arabic to her, ordering a basket of falafel and a few different sauces. She nodded before heading off, not bothering to make any notes on her notepad.

"I'm really good," she assured him. "I mean, it's just a little uncomfortable. No big. You just kinda went from my family to gymnastics, which took me off guard."

Thinking about the two in relation to each other made it all even worse.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:22:01 GMT -6 »

The hostess, in fact, walked off without even giving Aaron a chance to order. Aaron had been about to indicate something on the menu, but faltered, letting out a little "hm" noise before Leif spoke again. Right, back to her.

"When you mentioned them, you had this look in your eye like there was a story there you really didn't want to get into," he explained, words coming out smoother than he felt. "After that you sort of changed the subject, so I thought you didn't want me to ask more about it. I'm curious, but I wouldn't want to hurt you by digging around where I'm not welcome."

That probably made him sound like he was massively overthinking everything, because he probably was, but it felt nice to be upfront about it.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:30:04 GMT -6 »

Changing the subject seemed to be her specialty.

"I ordered us some fry-bread, basically, for an appetizer. Once she's back from that, you can order something. Like I said before, their food here is pretty fantastic."

Leif grinned. Talking about food made her feel better, a little more separated from the subject of her family and their faults.

"They're... They're right shit," she finally said, still smiling.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 21:46:48 GMT -6 »

"I might need you to translate some of these menu items, because I can't understand a word," he admitted with a small, self-conscious smile, before she moved on to her family.

Unlike hers, and how odd that she could smile while saying that, his smile vanished immediately. Not disapproving or hostile, if anything there was clear sympathy in his expression - but it definitely wasn't a smiling matter. Not to mention, they obviously did something to make their own flesh and blood call them "right shit," and parents who acted that way? They'd always kind of set Aaron off.

"Did they do something to you?"

Even though he felt like he knew the answer to that one, he wanted to encourage her, let her know she could open up to him if she wanted to.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 18, 2016 23:45:27 GMT -6 »

She shrugged, forcing herself to look at Aaron instead of trying to distract herself, as she had before. He had noticed that, so she tried her best to keep any of her ticks from showing.

"Does it really matter all that much? I'm here now. It won't change anything, whether they did or not. The past is convoluted and, frankly, a waste of time. Sometimes, anyways."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 19, 2016 0:05:37 GMT -6 »

He might not have on some days, but today he was actively paying more attention to it, trying to be better at reading her, so he had. She was looking at him, so he kept his eyes on her, and for a moment the rest of the - admittedly barely occupied - restaurant bled away as he found himself caught in her gaze. Did the past matter? Why, all the best philosophers and historians could argue about that for ages, but as briefly transfixed as he was he didn't feel too qualified to present a compelling counterargument.

So he wouldn't look like he was staring her down, he broke the eye contact to take a quick sip of his tea, making a thoughtful noise into the drink before he set it down and tried to muster a response.

"It matters to me, but if you don't want to talk about it you don't want to talk about it, I respect that. Maybe I dwell too much on the past, myself, but I like knowing where people come from, what led them to be the person they are today - I think it's an important part of really knowing them as a person."

Not that everyone agreed, and he felt like a jerk even going on about his philosophy to begin with. Not that that was all of it, of course, as he had a short little addition after he took a breath.

"Really, though, I was just concerned. I don't feel like I picked the best way to express it, but that's what it boils down to."

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2016 0:06:31 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 19, 2016 0:43:59 GMT -6 »

She waved away his apology, still smiling, though it became more and more obvious just how faked the expression was. It seemed more strained, more uncertain, and her eyes darted idly back and forth without ever really settling on something. The staring was only managing to make her even more uncomfortable.

"Maybe, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. You're getting to know who the person is, not who they were... Sometimes, the past is just a story, and it doesn't matter. I think its that way with me. My parents? They're not in my life. My brother is dead. One brother is somewhere and the other lives with my parents. They're... all irrelevant."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 19, 2016 1:02:50 GMT -6 »

"All right, I understand. I'm sorry for prying."

Best to drop it anyway, he could tell from the strain and how her eyes started to dart around. He hadn't meant to stare, quite the opposite, and looked away from her not out of offence but to give her a little breathing room. He wanted to kick himself for even trying to ask, vaguely. Quick, find a subject change...

"Let's talk about something else, then. Anything you like."

At least partly buying time to try to think of something to put her at ease. Come on, Aaron, think, it's your damn fault she's like this...

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 19, 2016 12:11:33 GMT -6 via mobile »

She didn't calm down inmediately, but it was easy for her to change the subject. Her mind was already sorting through the different options, trying to find something to cling to that wasn't as offensive as her family.

"Do you want to stay with Paradigm?" She asked. "Like, forever? Is this what you want to do with your life?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 19, 2016 15:36:29 GMT -6 »

That wasn't a question he was really sure he wanted to answer, but he'd put the ball in her court, and if it would help her, so be it. She looked like she was freaking out a little less at least, and that was good.

"Forever is a really, really long time, but I think so, yes. For everything that's happened, for how screwed up this world is, I still love my job; I don't think I'd be happy doing anything else."

If he'd have thought that without having been raised into it, who knows. That was a different question, one she hadn't asked, and one he definitely didn't want to dwell on.

"What about you?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 22, 2016 11:29:01 GMT -6 »

"I've honestly not decided, yet. I'm still young enough that I've had, like, ten different ideas for what I want to do with myself."

Leif shrugged thoughtfully, turning her eyes away from him. The hostess arrived with a plate full of small falafal balls and a few plastic cups of a thick white sauce. She placed it on the table and murmured something, to which the Paradigm agent responded.

"You ready to order?" she asked, looking back at Aaron.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 22, 2016 12:11:12 GMT -6 »

"If you are."

He honestly wasn't hungry, didn't feel like he'd ever be hungry again really, but maybe he would be if he gave himself a little time. Besides, the falafel looked pretty good, and she'd taken him here and offered, so he couldn't turn his nose up at it. His parents had taught him proper behaviour as a guest after all. He'd let her take the lead, since making his own order when he couldn't even read the menu would probably end up with him getting served cow's brain or something.

"You've mentioned gymnastics and the military, what else have you thought of?"

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 22, 2016 12:24:44 GMT -6 »

"I thought about being a doctor, for a while," she admitted, glancing down the menu. She ordered a lentil soup, smiling and giving a shake of her head when the woman asked if she wanted ham. The very thought made her stomach turn.

She motioned for Aaron to order before continuing to speak.

"I also really like some sports. Anything to keep me active. When I was younger, I even thought about being a park ranger."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 22, 2016 12:37:35 GMT -6 »

"I'll have what she ordered, please," Aaron said, hoping the hostess could understand English better than he could understand Arabic. He indicated the same spot on the menu Leif'd seemed to be looking at, and if the hostess had any issue understanding him she didn't indicate it, instead walking off with a nod. Aaron's attention had gone back to Leif after he made his order, and he took in her words with an expression of polite, genuine interest.

Imagining her as a doctor or park ranger was definitely an interesting thought. Although her bedside manner kind of sucked in his experience.

"Why a park ranger? Sounds like a nice job, just wondering what drew you to the idea."

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 22, 2016 19:02:44 GMT -6 »

"The only people that really need a park ranger's help are the ones that want to help, themselves."

As she answered, Leif seemed lost in thought, temporarily. She imagined the life she could have had, if her powers hadn't manifested like they had, if her parents hadn't forced her into Paradigm with the "other freaks." She couldn't help but think of how different the entire world would be.

"National parks? They need to be preserved. They're an intricate part of our history as a country and are important... People don't really get that, you know? I'd love to work at Yellowstone, actually."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 23, 2016 0:53:21 GMT -6 »

"Sounds like a nice way to settle down once all this unpleasantness is done, if that's what you end up deciding on. Saving the world from bad guys is all well and good, but we've got to make sure it's looked after, too."

After all, fighting to protect the world was one thing, but it was just as important to make sure the world stayed a place worth living in, too. When there were so many people with the power to change the world for the better, was there really an excuse for people to still be messing everything up with their little squabbles? If even a fraction of the world's metahumans united to fix stuff instead of killing each other, Aaron could only imagine the good they could do.

"Is Yellowstone your favourite of 'em, then? It was really beautiful last time I went."

Even if that volcano hung over everybody like the sword of Damocles.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 23, 2016 11:43:34 GMT -6 »

"Yellowstone, Big Bend, Death Valley, and Katmai if I can handle the cold."

Leif chuckled, wondering how they managed to get onto a topic she shared with so few people. She usually didn't bother talking about herself, if she could avoid it, but she could ramble on and on about national parks for hours.

"If I could learn about it, I'd even like to go into rehabilitation for, like... the animals. Do a search and rescue kind of thing? One of the times I visited Death Valley, a park ranger rescued an injured kit fox from this hole. I was there, watching... He handled this wild animal as if it were a little lap dog, and then let me follow him back where he stayed with her and helped the vet. A week or so after I left, they let her back into the wild. How COOL is that?"

Her sapphire eyes lit up with excitement and passion and she leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table.

"I spent, like... two years begging my parents for a kit fox pet. They told me no, so I said I'd be okay with a coyote. Apparently," she said, winking, her voice heavy in sarcasm when she spoke that one word. "I couldn't have that either. Imagine that."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 23, 2016 22:13:19 GMT -6 »

"That all sounds incredible."

A pet coyote seemed like a bad idea, but he couldn't bring himself to rain on her parade when she was opening up so much and sounded so damn excited about what she was talking about. Leif might have actually noticed a look of brief surprise on his face as she started to light up, which faded as her enthusiasm proved infectious and a little grin appeared. He hadn't been entirely sure this side of her even existed, but he couldn't help being happy to see it.

Besides, the thought of Leif as a young'un, all excited and begging for a pet fox or coyote, was kind of adorable. And he had a feeling, now, for why she hated the sight of meat so much.

"For what it's worth, I think you'd be really good at it. You've got the passion for it, clearly, and that's half the battle."

He could almost forget his own troubles for a bit, hearing her go on about wildlife and national parks.

Leif Adamson
Agent

Leif Adamson Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 24, 2016 18:39:11 GMT -6 via mobile »

She laughed, then. A true, hearty, very-real laugh, her eyes twinkling as she thought about it. She knew she'd have to give up a few of her... proclivities. But it almost seemed worth it.

"I have some saving of the world to do before I settle down to rescue animals," she said with a wink. "This war isn't over yet."

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2016 18:39:33 GMT -6 by Leif Adamson » Back to Top  

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

Walkabout (Leif)
« Jun 25, 2016 2:57:45 GMT -6 »

Well hey, proclivities could be for the weekends.

"Yeah, we have to make sure there are still parks when all is said and done."

Which there wouldn't be if the Empire had its way. But they wouldn't. The people in charge would all go straight to Hell for what they'd done to this world. Though, it probably wasn't really right to think of them that way, even if there was a part of him imagining giving Chazz some payback.

"Anything that makes you as happy as this does is something to hang on to, though."

Quick Reply