Author Topic: Paradigm Shift #11: Get Outta Here (Read 2,750 times)
El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

Paradigm Shift #11: Get Outta Here
« Mar 15, 2016 20:51:53 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"You followed my directions, and you even came with an added bonus. I have no complaints."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 20:59:09 GMT -6 »

Too late for him not to get obsessed

"I'll try. I just don't want to let people down out here. My team, my folks, you, Jack, all the civilians we're out here to help, anyone."

Not just out here, but anywhere. His whole purpose for existing is protecting people, helping people, doing good. Stopping evil. And Rian running through his wall like it wasn't even there is fresh in his mind.

On a lighter note, he did notice Josh pratfalling, but the guy picked himself up and looked embarrassed as hell about it, so Aaron chose not to say anything about it. Why call attention to the fact? He nods, taking in all Agent Young has to say, and looks genuinely appreciative when she's done.

"Still, thank you. I appreciate the advice; it's just hard not to get frustrated when all this training I'm doing doesn't seem to actually help. And, you know, failing isn't really an option."

"I try to keep tabs on all my kids. Admittedly, I don't do a great job of it, but I do what I can. And I never see you do anything but train."

Eliott Knight
Mentor
Intelligence

Eliott Knight Avatar

Go away.

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 21:13:36 GMT -6 »

"You won't as long as you're out there and trying to do something. I get the frustration, I've been there. But you're in a TEAM, right? When someone is more effective against a power than you are, help THEM get the hits in. Powers like ours...'elements'? They're not just for doing damage. As long as none of you are little shits too arrogant to support instead of get the good hits in, you'll be able to take down anyone."

Coming from someone who's power was always weaker due to her powers being split in half, she had to do a lot of creative moves instead. Ice took too long to form for split second decisions, so using ice weapons, freezing the water in someone's eyes? That's the kind of thing she had to do. Heck, most of the time she was just using her power sportively since she was too busy gathering intel.

---

She nods. Fine with her.

"Thank you, then."

See? She can be nice when respected and given credit!

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 21:59:18 GMT -6 »

"I've been working on that. This power's got to be good for more than brute force after all."

His job this mission was basically all support. Support and rear guard/slowing down Rian's pursuit so they could get to the roof. His darkness feels more and more useless with every passing day, though. One wonders if it's somehow emotion-based, and his own depression and self doubt is making his power weaker. He decides not to get into how he wants to increase his raw power so he doesn't lose out on effectiveness, doesn't have to be on the sidelines, doesn't run into people he's useless against any more - that counts as being an "arrogant little shit".

Kind of like when he'd told both Makailas that, one day, he wants to grow to become the most powerful person in Paradigm.

"Though, I was thinking about something, if it might be okay to ask?"

Geum Jan Di
Mentor
Defense

Geum Jan Di Avatar

But that requires effort...

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 22:03:23 GMT -6 »

She just nods at the first bit. That was good.

"Mhm, what is it?"

El Sensei
Sensei
El Jefe

El Sensei Avatar

I control the universe!

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 22:09:16 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App »

"My expectations of you are high now, be sure not to disappoint." Silas turns to leave!

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 22:13:43 GMT -6 »

"I know you have your own team to lead, and you run all the black ops stuff, and there's a war on, so you're crazy busy, but I thought I'd ask if I could work with you now and then, when there's time? You're all about skill and creativity with your power, and I feel like I've hit a wall with developing mine, I thought maybe it'd help with finding ways to make it more effective."

And he didn't even lose his nerve once, asking that, even though he'd tripped over his tongue for a moment right at the start. Progress.

"Sorry, I know it's asking a lot, and who knows when there might be time for that, but I guess I thought it couldn't hurt to put it out there, you know? I try to learn wherever I can."

Eliott Knight
Mentor
Intelligence

Eliott Knight Avatar

Go away.

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 23:01:01 GMT -6 »

Eliott lets him leave, making a face once he wasn't looking.

The only reason she wasn't going to disappoint him was by extension. Any accomplishments were for herself.

She glances around at who's still here, before walking off to find something to do.

---

"Maybe. Like you said, who knows when there'll be time."

She cocks a hip and tilts her head.

"I get that I've got the skillset, but don't you have trainers?"

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 23:13:28 GMT -6 »

"Jack showed me that one exercise and that's it, I think he's waiting for me to get it to a certain point before he shows me more. And I still work with Mr. Amtrum a little, yeah."

And he's not sure he feels like going to Jack about much, right now. After all, at some point he'd stopped even referring to him as "Director Makaila".

"Part of me feels like maybe the new perspective would help, that I'd learn more. I know finding time would be tricky, but I think it could do a lot of good, and I could find some way to make it worth your while. Up to you, though - I wouldn't want to be a distraction to you, with the war on and everything."

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[color=darkgreen]WOOP WOOP! Pull over dat ass too fat![/color]

[send pm]

« Mar 15, 2016 23:24:27 GMT -6 »

Nicky chuckles.

"Worth my while how? The problem with doing this during the war is that I don't have good opportunities. I don't do training in rooms. I take people into real situations and to be frank, most of them don't come back. Sure, it's not training, it's the exam to get into my team, but there's one thing that doesn't change between both situations."

She presses her hands on her hips.

"I'm being followed. Not always just by one guy, but when he's there it's too dangerous. I can't protect anyone because he can just zip away the moment I falter for any reason."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 14:17:13 GMT -6 »

"Chazz, I remember."

He'd been doing his homework just like she asked him to, after all. Part of him is surprised that, with her here, Chazz isn't on his way. But who knows when the next chance might be? In a week one or both of them might be dead, or neither. And if working with Nicky meant one of the Empire's best dropping right on his head, that... that could end quite badly.

It's not that he's scared, really; he's almost surprised how at peace he is with the idea he might die fighting the Empire, but there's things he has to do first. Miles to go before he sleeps and all that.

"I'm not arrogant enough to say I could take him on myself or anything, he's too experienced - I've been training my whole life, but I don't have the kind of real world experience he does. Still, I'd try not to weigh you down; I'd do my best, and anything you say to do, I'd do."

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016 14:25:59 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 17:17:34 GMT -6 »

Luckily the guy doesn't come find her at bases so she can relax sometimes.

"Are you saying you'd want to go anyway?" she asks, her brow raising above her aviators.

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 18:10:35 GMT -6 »

Even for Chazz, it'd probably be a pretty dumb idea to just storm right into Paradigm's main command centre in Syria like that. That's taking on an army of metahumans, not just a small team of agents. Though that's an important question she just asked him, and it takes him a thoughtful second before he says anything.

"If you're willing to give me a shot," he says, giving her an earnest, determined nod. "If the thought of getting hurt, or worse, could scare me away, I would never have joined Paradigm. Our job's to stand between bullies like the Empire and all the innocent people they want to hurt, and that means taking some risks."

Though he probably isn't ready to join her actual black ops team. He has a while before he's anywhere near the level of Weston or Tiao, just like he has a long way to go before being in the same neighbourhood as his parents or the Directors strength-wise.

Besides, being out here, risking himself, it's an escape from the pain. And he can prove he's worth something, he's not a liability.

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016 18:27:54 GMT -6 by Aaron Silverman » Back to Top  

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 19:55:05 GMT -6 »

"Oh I'll let you try to prove whatever it is you're trying to prove, here. I just need you to get your parent's permission 'cause I'm not dealing with them if you die."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 20:12:17 GMT -6 »

And yet he hadn't had to get their permission to come out here...

It's a good point, though, as much as under better circumstances the idea of getting Mom and Dad to give permission like he's going on a school field trip or something would get a chuckle out of him. Though open question if they'd even say yes or not. And the two of them going on a grief-filled rampage, that's not a fun thing to imagine.

"It's not about proving anything," okay, it is a little, "but I'll talk to them. Thanks for being willing to hear me out, at least."

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 21:56:29 GMT -6 »

"Sure. I'm always curious about crazy kids gambling with their lives." she shrugs.

"At any rate, since it's not interfering with my missions, it's not getting in the way. I do have to warn you though...if you're in over your head, get yourself out. I don't have time to save anyone."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 22:10:50 GMT -6 »

Aaron looks a tiny bit offended at being described as "crazy," with the slight frown and the way his brow furrows, but not enough to say something about it. It's not an argument worth having, she's someone he respects... and hey, you have to be a little crazy to do this whole superhero thing, don't you? Most kids his age are more worried about prom dates or whatever. Or have been drafted and sent to war anyway, Selective Service going active and all, but that goes against his point.

"I will. This is about learning and getting better, not proving I'm some big badass."

He remembers his talk with Mr. Amtrum about needing better judgement, recognising when he's in too far over his head and has to bail. He doesn't want to run like a coward, but he can't go around acting like he's invincible.

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 22:46:16 GMT -6 »

Nicky doesn't seem to care about his reaction, used to people not being happy with what she says.

She calls 'em like she sees 'em.

"Yeah, don't bullshit me, kid. You're at least trying to do both."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 23:01:04 GMT -6 »

It wasn't that big a deal, just something that pushed his buttons a little for a second. By the time she replies, he's calmed down, the offence disappearing from his expression. Besides, 'calling it like you see it'? Kind of an important skill to have, especially from someone Aaron wants to learn from. There's not really any education in bullshitting someone. Speaking of...

"I'm not. This really isn't some ego thing, I swear."

Though, is it? He had so many people he wanted to prove himself to, so many doors he wanted at least a little open, could he really say they play no role? Under her gaze, he's suddenly not so sure, and besides, if he wants to learn things from her, shouldn't he keep his cards on the table?

"...Okay, maybe there's a little bit of wanting to prove I can be useful out here, that I'm not a liability. That I can help people. But I won't let that get in the way."

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 23:39:53 GMT -6 »

"There ya go, own it."

She says once he admits the truth.

"As soon as you've got your folks notified, come find me. I leave in a day or two, so if you take too long, I'm ditching you."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 23:45:51 GMT -6 »

"Will do."

Own it, huh? Well, wherever Mom and Dad are in all this chaos, whatever mission they're doing, hopefully he can get to them in time.

"If they end up not letting me go, maybe I can show you some of what I can do anyway, see if you have any feedback on how I can do better?"

The typical teenager thing to do would be to lie and say they did, but he's not that kind of guy, and also, it's probably inevitable that Nicky and his parents would find out at some point. All three would almost certainly take it out of his hide afterwards.

Also, it's still embarrassing that they're discussing parental permission in the middle of a war, which might show on his face. But it's coming from a good place, he knows that.

Nicky-Lee Young
Hero
Paradigm Black Ops

Nicky-Lee Young Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 23:50:27 GMT -6 »

"Yeah, sure." she shrugs, before turning to start walking away.

"But I gotta go talk to some peeps now, see ya later. Probably."

Aaron Silverman
Legend
Defense

Aaron Silverman Avatar

[send pm]

« Mar 16, 2016 23:52:50 GMT -6 »

"I hope so. Thanks for your time."

Really, he'd half expected to be blown off with a 'sorry kid, I'm busy' as soon as he started to bring all this up. The little smile she gets is genuine, as he turns to head off in a different direction. His phone is in his quarters, maybe he'll get a workout in, some food and rest, then call the folks. Jack should maybe know this might be a thing, too.

Besides, he's worried about some of what he saw out there.

Quick Reply